Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn the man -- you are correct!  BUT -- you're still jealous!  LOL!

The lower and stock set -- GRATIS!!!!  That's why I said it was hard to give you a fair assessment of cost. (now you're really jealous)

Even in Europe the lowers run around $1100 USD because of the exchange rate.  Plus, all us over here are buying up the spares, which increases the demand.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What European export and US import licenses/paperword are required to bring a Sig 550 lower into the U.S?  Does anyone know of a source overseas that will sell to a U.S. citizen.  Due to my work it is no problem for me to travel overseas to obtain one or make the deal.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What European export and US import licenses/paperword are required to bring a Sig 550 lower into the U.S?  Does anyone know of a source overseas that will sell to a U.S. citizen.  Due to my work it is no problem for me to travel overseas to obtain one or make the deal.  

ATF FORM 6

Eventually you can end up with something like this:
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
thats looks great, does anybody know of a source where we can attain just a complete lower without spend 2000 plus on a new kit
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thats looks great, does anybody know of a source where we can attain just a complete lower without spend 2000 plus on a new kit

you can probably find JUST a lower for $1500, but that won't even have the buttstock.  just the internals.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#6]
How are you guys going about US parts compliance with these, when using original SIG lowers, magazines and handguards?  Do the original rifles need US-made (M-16) magazines to be parts compliant?
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 1:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How are you guys going about US parts compliance with these, when using original SIG lowers, magazines and handguards?  Do the original rifles need US-made (M-16) magazines to be parts compliant?

It simply doesn't have enough foreign parts to be an issue.  SIG USA holds the posiition that these 556 rifles are 100% US made (except the early ones have an obviously Isreali made buttstock).  Anyway, with all the Swiss made parts added, and taking SIG USA at their word that the rest of the rifle is US made, the conversion process adds exactly 10 foreign parts that count for 922r compliance.  You can even cushion that farther buy swapping the hammer, sear, and trigger from the 556 lower into the Swiss lower and take the foreign parts count down to 7.

HTHs.

Receiver -- US MADE
Barrel -- US MADE
Barrel extension -- US MADE
Bolts -- US MADE
Bolt carriers -- US MADE
Operating rod (cocking handle) -- US MADE
Gas piston -- US MADE
Trigger housing
Trigger  -- US MADE*
Hammer -- US MADE*
Sear -- US MADE*
Buttstock
Pistol grip
Forearm, handguard
Magazine body
Follower
Floorplate

* = With swap from 556 lower to Swiss 55x lower
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There is NO SUCH THING as "US Parts Compliance". I have no idea where people get this and it severely misdirects the understanding of the law and how to abide by it. 922(r) provides that if a (removable) magazine fed semi-auto rifle consists of MORE THAN TEN IMPORTED parts (from the list counted by the ATF), then it is considered an IMPORTED rifle and the restrictions of 922(r) are applicable to that rifle. There is NO provision as to the number of US parts on the weapon which establishes this classification. The number of US parts on the rifle is completely irrelevant.

On an IMPORTED Rifle (which the 556 is NOT), the IMPORTED parts count CAN, of course, be reduced by either (1) replacing imported parts with domestic parts or (2) eliminating the parts from the build all together, but to imply that the number of US MADE parts has any bearing on a rifles legality is simply wrong.

As long as you DO NOT ADD MORE THAN TEN (of the SPECIFIC parts counted by ATF as to the determination of its origin) to a DOMESTIC rifle, then it is STILL A DOMESTIC RIFLE and 922(r) is NOT APPLICABLE.

If you remain confused by this, feel free to email me and I will try to help you understand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I am quite familiar with 922(r), having had to comply with its nuances (okay, annoyances) since 11/90.  "US Parts Compliance" is not a technically correct term, but it is how this law is often casually referenced for purposes of discussion.  Technically speaking, a US made rifle can be converted into an import, and (fortunately for us), vice-versa.  As you correctly pointed out, a rifle's origin doesn't matter; what does matter is the cumulative origin of specific parts.  This is the basis of whether a rifle is imported, and subject to restrictions on "evil" features (again, not a technical term, but commonly used), or a domestic rifle, exempt from these restrictions since 9/13/04.  I guess the proper technical term would simply be "922(r) compliant", but the more specific, although less technically correct term "US Parts Compliant" seems to illustrate the end result of this law a little more clearly.  I think we'd all rather do without the US parts, but the law sez you gotta have 'em...
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The simple fact remains why doesn't SIG build the kind of rifle we Americans want to buy?  It seems very odd to me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The simple fact remains why doesn't SIG build the kind of rifle we Americans want to buy?  It seems very odd to me.

The have built and shipped 7500+ rifles... the factory cannot keep pace with demand.   I believe "we Americans" are the ones buying them....
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The have built and shipped 7500+ rifles... the factory cannot keep pace with demand.   I believe "we Americans" are the ones buying them....

I think it's been discussed that it's "we the distributors and gun shops" who are buying them.  They really aren't flying off of the shelves everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF FORM 6

img70.imageshack.us/img70/742/sig556duracoated1600xl0.jpg

How did you get that upper and lower to match in color?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I had the same feeling and then they released the 556 and it's all good now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF FORM 6

Looks like it's been refinished; that looks like a SIG diopter on there and I think it has to be welded on, which would require refinishing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's been discussed that it's "we the distributors and gun shops" who are buying them.  They really aren't flying off of the shelves everywhere.

Yeah right.. SIG just suspended economics 101... what a great trick!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#17]
What I meant by my comment is that most people I've spoken with an what I've read on the gun boards, prefer the original SIG design over the new 556.  I am confused why someone at SIG just doesn't give us what we want....an American version/copy of the the orginal SIG design.  It seems real basic to me.  Why come up with something new that few will buy when you could simply reproduce what you've already built and we will buy them faster than you can make them.....

Oh well, I guess I flunked Economics 101...
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It seems real basic to me.  Why come up with something new that few will buy when you could simply reproduce what you've already built and we will buy them faster than you can make them.....

They are selling them faster then they can make them...  rumor has it that they are also expanding the product line to include a "sniper" version, a commando version, and a pistol version.  And guess what?  They are all based on the 556 design.  Gee wonder why?  Maybe because folks is buying them?
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It seems real basic to me.  Why come up with something new that few will buy when you could simply reproduce what you've already built and we will buy them faster than you can make them.....

They are selling them faster then they can make them...  rumor has it that they are also expanding the product line to include a "sniper" version, a commando version, and a pistol version.  And guess what?  They are all based on the 556 design.  Gee wonder why?  Maybe because folks is buying them?

Any word on a "Secret Agent" model ???
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#20]
If what you say is true, good for SIG.  I happen to prefer the traditional look of the rifle.  So does everyone I know and most every post I read.  But what the heck, SIG knows best.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any word on a "Secret Agent" model ???

Rumor has it that a well known member, who is an "expert" on the SIG platform... is secretly internet testing it right now...
Link Posted: 12/13/2007 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I would like to see the Commando model.........if it's anything like the SBR pic I have seen, it could be a nice addition to the collection........wish some pics would come out

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The UBR certainly helps out on the looks dept...

Link Posted: 12/14/2007 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

img524.imageshack.us/img524/4733/dscn1849uz6.jpg

img84.imageshack.us/img84/4967/dscn1851xa7.jpg

Very nice!  My UBR arrived yesterday.  I'm still deciding what rifle I will put it on...
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
It certainly makes it look alot nicer...........looking good

Quoted:

img524.imageshack.us/img524/4733/dscn1849uz6.jpg

img84.imageshack.us/img84/4967/dscn1851xa7.jpg

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ATF FORM 6

Duracoat SIG 551 color,
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#27]
the dpms looking stock is awful but i really like my 556, i wonder if the haters have even shot one lower recoil, piston driven, excellent trigger these are great rifles imo, the only thing sig didn't do right was rollmark a dancing pony on it somewhere, if they had it would be the cats meow
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top