Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to be sending my barrel off to get a Mams p&w'ed on, so I imagine total barrel length would be around 13.5”

based on my research so far thinking of ordering the 1.35 and 1.4 gas jets
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone done a dedicated suppressed setup on a SCAR 17?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I am running a Surefire 7.62 Mini on a SCAR 17 with a factory 13” barrel. I leave the suppressor on all the time if that is what you are talking about. I am running a 1.4mm gas jet and it seems to cycle everything well running MK319 loads (mk319 projectiles loaded to factory velocities). 1.35mm would not push the bolt far enough back to lock the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Also running a 13" factory barrel with surefire 762 mini 2. I use the stock gas jet since the gun won't lock back with M118LR with anything smaller.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Need a little help understanding this as I'm seeing conflicting info; looks like 1.3 or 1.35 might be the 'sweet spot' according to this thread but looking at the handl defense info, they advocate for going UP in size, not down. Something along the lines of 1.7-2.4!!

So, which way to go? I have a suppressor and want to use it; don't want to install new jets and increase my risk. thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Need a little help understanding this as I'm seeing conflicting info; looks like 1.3 or 1.35 might be the 'sweet spot' according to this thread but looking at the handl defense info, they advocate for going UP in size, not down. Something along the lines of 1.7-2.4!!

So, which way to go? I have a suppressor and want to use it; don't want to install new jets and increase my risk. thanks in advance!
View Quote
Man, a 2.4 would be horrible. I ran a 1.4 in my chopped 13 inch barrel. Could have gone down to a 1.3. Just start small and run milspec ammo. They are very easy to swap out as long as you don’t carbon cake them. Just spend the 20-30 bucks and order 1.3, 1.35, 1.4, 1.45, and 1.5 from PMM. You’ll def be good to go with that range to play with your blaster.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the thread. Interesting to think about doing. As a lefty shooting my 16" 17 suppressed is absolutely miserable with your face by the chamber.

Maybe I'll give it a whirl in time for deer season.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
how do you change them?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
You need a small flat head screwdriver. Remove the gas regulator, then look through the hole on top of the gas block. The factory gas jet should have a slot and this is where you use the small flat head screwdriver. The replacement gas jets by PMM use an allen wrench so this is easier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
So what’s the preferred gas jet for a 16s 10 inch with a suppressor
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just put a 1.6 in mine and will report back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just put a 1.6 in mine and will report back.
View Quote
Ok thank you
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You might have to play around with a few for whatever ammo you're going to shoot.

I installed a 1.85mm so I could use some Tula and on the suppressed setting it will sometimes fail to lock the bolt open on the last round.

With brass ammo, I'd probably get the 1.65 through 1.85 so you could try them out for what ever ammo you plan on shooting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You might have to play around with a few for whatever ammo you're going to shoot.

I installed a 1.85mm so I could use some Tula and on the suppressed setting it will sometimes fail to lock the bolt open on the last round.

With brass ammo, I'd probably get the 1.65 through 1.85 so you could try them out for what ever ammo you plan on shooting.
View Quote
Yeah, I shoot M193 exclusively either Federal, Wolf Gold, or Lake City simply for a consistent zero across all of my rifles. Still need to hit the range and will let you know how a 1.6 and 1.7 shoots with M193 using both suppressed and unsuppressed settings using an AAC 762SDN6, SilencerCo Saker 762, Saker 556, and AAC Mini-4 to see different cans with different levels of backpressure and blowback.

As much as I would love an over gassed HK416 to be a cool kid, the ability to tailor a SCAR-16 for the right balance of reliability and soft recoil with the gas system, despite the recoil impulse feeling slower, really makes it an awesome solution for a short stroke piston SBR with an suppressed unsuppressed selector. All that with a KDG folding stock, hard to beat, at least in terms of a Gucci gun... my rattle canned MK18 Mod 0 does the same thing, but doesn't have nearly the call of duty XP...
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I shoot M193 exclusively either Federal, Wolf Gold, or Lake City simply for a consistent zero across all of my rifles. Still need to hit the range and will let you know how a 1.6 and 1.7 shoots with M193 using both suppressed and unsuppressed settings using an AAC 762SDN6, SilencerCo Saker 762, Saker 556, and AAC Mini-4 to see different cans with different levels of backpressure and blowback.

As much as I would love an over gassed HK416 to be a cool kid, the ability to tailor a SCAR-16 for the right balance of reliability and soft recoil with the gas system, despite the recoil impulse feeling slower, really makes it an awesome solution for a short stroke piston SBR with an suppressed unsuppressed selector. All that with a KDG folding stock, hard to beat, at least in terms of a Gucci gun... my rattle canned MK18 Mod 0 does the same thing, but doesn't have nearly the call of duty XP...
View Quote
I know how you feel believe me
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never liked the 416 tbh, but the SCAR was always a head turner for me.

Also, if I remember correctly, mine sort of ran with the 1.7 with brass ammo. I just don't remember which one it was, federal XM193, wolf gold, or federal 223 100rd bulk pack from wal mart. I did have a few stove pipes with the 1.7 unsuppressed, it just barely spit out the cases lol.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
does anyone run 12.5” 16s ? Appropriate jet sizes?

Will be using a SOCOM RC 556
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Bump for replies-]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Scar 17 13 inch barrel with a Rugged Micro 30 full configuration.

Using federal brand XM80C ammo

1.35mm bolt locked back on an empty suppressed setting

1.3mm bolt locked back on an empty suppressed setting

1.25mm bolt locked back and gave me like a 3oclock ejection pattern consistently suppressed setting. Rifle didnt function without the silencer in the suppressed or unsuppressed setting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You need a small flat head screwdriver. Remove the gas regulator, then look through the hole on top of the gas block. The factory gas jet should have a slot and this is where you use the small flat head screwdriver. The replacement gas jets by PMM use an allen wrench so this is easier.
View Quote
I'll add that it is a PITA to get a factory jet out if the rifle has been heavily used. The slotted screw head strips very eaisly. I had to get mine out with a torch and a broken bolt extractor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got the range with my scar-16 10 inch with a saker556 and mini-4. Didn’t really lube the gun before, was mostly dry with some old carbon on it from a couple months ago. Results below:

1.5mm jet:
Suppressed in suppressed setting: functioned 100 percent with M193 both fully supported as well as limping the gun.
Unsuppressed in unsuppressed setting: ejected brass but empty chamber on next round

1.6mm jet:
Suppressed in suppressed setting: same as 1.5mm jet
Unsuppressed in unsuppressed setting: functioned with M193 but would fail to feed next round (halfway in chamber) with low power brass .223.

Although it’s crazy soft with a 1.5 and 1.6 suppressed, Will be upping to 1.7 and keeping it there for reliability as I shoot M193 for the most part.

Also, was sort of disappointed at the return to zero pulling the barrel and swapping between my 14 inch barrel. Used a calibrated 62lb torque wrench and pulled the 10 inch barrel three times and reinstalled per the manual, shooting a five round group at 50 meters after zero. POI shift was 3 inches to the left after the first pull and then an inch higher after the second pull. I might mess with it some more, but will likely just leave it in the 10 inch config and witness mark all the screws and run it through the ringer. Swapping short and long uppers is easier on ARs anyways and doesn’t required tools.

That said, still do love the SCAR in a CQC config with a suppressor. With the tuned gas jet, it’s very smooth and tracks faster than I remember. Without the can, can feel that bolt mass much more without having the weight on the end of then gun. Will post some pics later.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also, was sort of disappointed at the return to zero pulling the barrel and swapping between my 14 inch barrel. Used a calibrated 62lb torque wrench and pulled the 10 inch barrel three times and reinstalled per the manual, shooting a five round group at 50 meters after zero. POI shift was 3 inches to the left after the first pull and then an inch higher after the second pull. I might mess with it some more, but will likely just leave it in the 10 inch config and witness mark all the screws and run it through the ringer. Swapping short and long uppers is easier on ARs anyways and doesn’t required tools.
View Quote
It's a huge downside of quick change barrels and a reason I think they're only useful for serving. When you have two barrels and switch between them you'll have to resight in your optic or swap optics and probably still need to resight it in. When on an Ar you just put a whole new upper with optic on there and you're ready to rumble.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a huge downside of quick change barrels and a reason I think they're only useful for serving. When you have two barrels and switch between them you'll have to resight in your optic or swap optics and probably still need to resight it in. When on an Ar you just put a whole new upper with optic on there and you're ready to rumble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I had an ACOG with a GDI QD mount that I used on the 14 inch barrel, was hoping for at least a 1 MOA return to zero going back to the short barrel and optic but honestly wouldn’t really trust it. Swapping lasers is one thing as it’s easy enough to match the vis with the day optic, but I’ll just stick with swapping uppers or just setting up complete guns and leaving them alone. I spent entirely too much time and money re-zeroing dicking with stuff looking for solutions that already exist
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The gas jet on my 16 came out no problem.  I tested it with a 1.20 jet and it functioned on suppressed setting with my AAC M4 2000 just fine.  It short stroked with the suppressor off on the suppressor setting.  It ran without the suppressor on the normal setting but ejection was pitiful.  I think I am going to put the 1.25 in there.

On the 17 the screw wouldn't budge and I butchered it.  Luckily it came right out with an Irwin Spiral Screw Extractor from lowes.  I'm going to dial the 17 in this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't see it posted here, but PMM did a video recently and provided the following gas jet data:

Scar 16S
16" factory barrel: 1.35/1.4mm
14" factory barrel: 1.45mm
10" factory barrel: 2.0mm

Scar 17S
16" factory barrel: 1.45mm
13" factory barrel: 1.6mm

Scar 20
20" barrel: 1.4mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZBgVoYJY8
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Any data on 16s cut down to 13.7.  Surefire muzzle brake with RC2 ?
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#28]
SCAR 17S 16”

Put in a 1.35mm gas jet recently.

168 FGMM ran great suppressed and unsuppressed with a Rugged Micro 30.

Malaysian Surplus - bolt wouldn’t lock back and had some mis-feeds when unsuppressed. Ran fine suppressed.

Going to probably step up to a 1.40mm jet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]
anyone messed with jets running fa762sv?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I just placed an order from PMM for a 1.3 and 1.35 jet for my 17s.  I've only put around 100 rounds through it and maybe 20 were suppressed.  I'm hoping I can get the factory jet out without any sort of an issue.  I wasn't going to change it but after trying it suppressed the recoil is almost violent so I figured I'd change the jet before something breaks. I reply back after I get them installed and hit the range.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I installed a 1.85 on my factory 10" 16 and it wouldn't reliably cycle wolf, American eagle, or IMI without a suppressor on either gas setting.

The 1.4 on my factory 13" 17 cycles like a dream. It's smooth, both suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a 1.7 on my 10" 16 and it runs fine on light .223 reloads or 5.56 in both setting either with or without can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Figure I'll ask this here since I just received my jets yesterday.  For replacement, did you find it necessary to take a heat torch and heat up the gas block area, or did the jet come out pretty easily?  Also did you apply some sort of anti-seize to the replacement gas jet?  I don't have a screw driver that is skinny enough to get through the opening to access the jet and saw this one recommended on another site. Any other tools that you'd recommend that might work better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8-in-x-2-1-2-in-Slotted-Screwdriver-220503440/204663564
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Figure I'll ask this here since I just received my jets yesterday.  For replacement, did you find it necessary to take a heat torch and heat up the gas block area, or did the jet come out pretty easily?  Also did you apply some sort of anti-seize to the replacement gas jet?  I don't have a screw driver that is skinny enough to get through the opening to access the jet and saw this one recommended on another site. Any other tools that you'd recommend that might work better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8-in-x-2-1-2-in-Slotted-Screwdriver-220503440/204663564
View Quote
heat the sucker up.

My SCAR 17 jet came out with a little elbow grease, but my 16 jet was not so easy.

I used a heat gun, but that didn't get things nearly hot enough. After stripping the screw, I broke off an EZ out bit and had to send it to PMM to get fixed, and after working on it, they told me it wasn't coming out, but they'd put it aside and try again later. They eventually got it out, but it cost me money and time and almost the whole barrel (gas blocks aren't a user-replaceable item, you'd need a whole new barrel).
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I took a belt sander to a screwdriver to make it fit perfect and mine came out of my 17 without any issues. I put some blaster in it a couple days prior just to be sure. It was all good
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Surprisingly the Home Depot screwdriver removed my Scar 17 and 16 stock gas jets without issue.  The 17s almost felt like it wasn't even tightened down all the way. The 16 was tight but broke without issue.  Glad I didn't have to take a torch to it. I put a 1.35 in the 17s.  Hoping to hit the range tomorrow to test it out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Took out the 17 today. I had a 1.35 and 1.30 jet.  Both jets will load a new round off a full mag with 1 in the chamber and will hold the bolt open on an empty mag in with the gas in the normal "12 o'clock" position.  With it set to "suppressed" with both jets, the rifle will not jet strip a new round or hold open on an empty mag.  My Sandman S is currently at Dead Air so I couldn't test both with the suppressor.  I'll probably run the 1.30 for now and try that with the Sandman when I get it back.  There is a noticeable difference between the 1.30 and 1.35.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I have 16s with a 10.5” chopped barrel. I’ve found the
1.6mm gas jet to be perfect with all brass cased ammo I’ve used.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Recently played around with my jets and settled on the below jet sizes:

17S 16” - 1.35mm
17S 13” - 1.40mm

- 168gr FGMM and PPU
- I checked all jets with go/no go plug gauges to confirm holes
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have 16s with a 10.5” chopped barrel. I’ve found the
1.6mm gas jet to be perfect with all brass cased ammo I’ve used.
View Quote
That’s what I’m using too. Mine is a factory 10” barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's what I'm using too. Mine is a factory 10" barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 16s with a 10.5" chopped barrel. I've found the
1.6mm gas jet to be perfect with all brass cased ammo I've used.
That's what I'm using too. Mine is a factory 10" barrel.
The 1.9mm didn't cycle American eagle without a can either on the factory 10" barrel. I will go back to the original 2.0. I'm at like 4500ft elevation, maybe that has something to do with it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 1.9mm didn't cycle American eagle without a can either on the factory 10" barrel. I will go back to the original 2.0. I'm at like 4500ft elevation, maybe that has something to do with it?
View Quote
I’m at sea level.

PV=nRT...I suspect you’re correct re: your elevation above sea level. What can are you using?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Sig or silencerco. They do bump the back pressure up a bit. If a go back to the 2.0 and it still doesn't work, I'm going to have to do some trouble shooting. It used to work unsuppressed with the stock 2.0 but as I posted before, I had trouble getting the gas jet out and sent it to pmm who had trouble getting it out but finally succeeded. The piston is harder to put back in than it used to be so I'm wondering if something happened to the gas block during our efforts.

At least I know it works if there's enough back pressure in the system.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I recently took out my 17s with 16" barrel out to the range. I had purchased 1.25mm, 1.3mm, and 1.35 gas jets from PMM to test out. I started out with the 1.25mm in the gun thinking that it would choke based off what others said, but it actually worked fine. Bolt locked back without suppressor and did not lock back in suppressed setting. With the suppressor on it worked fine in suppressed setting. I'm not sure if it's the same as an AR15, but I noticed that the ejection pattern was right at around 4 o'clock on both settings so maybe slightly undergassed with the 1.25, but I guess I'd prefer that to avoid any problems with carrier speed when suppressed. Has anyone tried a smaller jet with a regular 17s?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I recently took out my 17s with 16" barrel out to the range. I had purchased 1.25mm, 1.3mm, and 1.35 gas jets from PMM to test out. I started out with the 1.25mm in the gun thinking that it would choke based off what others said, but it actually worked fine. Bolt locked back without suppressor and did not lock back in suppressed setting. With the suppressor on it worked fine in suppressed setting. I'm not sure if it's the same as an AR15, but I noticed that the ejection pattern was right at around 4 o'clock on both settings so maybe slightly undergassed with the 1.25, but I guess I'd prefer that to avoid any problems with carrier speed when suppressed. Has anyone tried a smaller jet with a regular 17s?
View Quote

Hm. What suppressor are you using? Mine's Sig SRD762Ti, lots of backpressure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Vox S, my understanding is that it is comparatively low back pressure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#47]
VOX is not a low pressure can...
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I didn't see it posted here, but PMM did a video recently and provided the following gas jet data:

Scar 16S
16" factory barrel: 1.35/1.4mm
14" factory barrel: 1.45mm
10" factory barrel: 2.0mm

Scar 17S
16" factory barrel: 1.45mm
13" factory barrel: 1.6mm

Scar 20
20" barrel: 1.4mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZBgVoYJY8
View Quote

so this is orig factory size?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
^^^

YUP
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I took my 16s to the range with the factory 10" barrel.  I put in a 1.8mm jet and the gun worked fine unsuppressed with the gas knob in that setting.  I switched it to suppressed and it worked fine while using my Sandman S.  If I removed the sandman and kept it in the suppressed setting it wouldn't strip a new round from the magazine.  Is this the behavior I want to have with a gas jet or is it supposed to cycle on both settings with no suppressor?  On a side note, with the 1.8 jet the bolt felt brick like in regard to recoil.  It almost felt like the bolt was getting sort of whipped back vs direct blowback. I'm not really sure how to explain it.  It just felt different. Maybe it was just more noticeable due to the fact I was shooting a piston AR beforehand, not sure.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top