Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Skypup.

Are you capable and willing to help answer that question above regarding the chart I requested?  I want to know how far away the science tells us we should expect to be able to see that hog in David's example when it turns broadside to us?

And ultimately I would like to know what I should expect to be able to see using my Flir vue pro 640/19 mm camera?  So far, I don't think I've been able to see anything beyond about five or 600 yards with it.

As an alternative, Could you please show me how to complete the chart for one size and then I could make my own chart?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't ask you anything.

But since were talking, how far down on that chart can you read at your eye doctors office under control to settings?

I have 20/10 corrected vision.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, please add a Snellen eye chart too so the user can assess their own visual acuity of their cornea, lens, aqueous humor, and retinal gangalion cells at these distances before attempting to ID the tiny distant thermal heat signatures..

http://www.cascadilla.com/eyecharts/traditional/images/sample-large-traditional.jpg

But since were talking, how far down on that chart can you read at your eye doctors office under control to settings?

Good for you, many people do not, and in fact many people are diabetics that suffer from diabetic retinopathy as well, not to mention macular degeneration and a host of other eye diseases.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Skypup.

Are you capable and willing to help answer that question above regarding the chart I requested?  I want to know how far away the science tells us we should expect to be able to see that hog in David's example when it turns broadside to us?

And ultimately I would like to know what I should expect to be able to see using my Flir vue pro 640/19 mm camera?  So far, I don't think I've been able to see anything beyond about five or 600 yards with it.

As an alternative, Could you please show me how to complete the chart for one size and then I could make my own chart?

Thanks.
View Quote

Try mounting your FLIR Vue up higher and keep the terrestrial portion of the camera in the bottom 20% of the lens to keep the terrestrial debris out of the gain control adjustments.

Then try making your own chart with the formulas and test them out with your gear to verify what you pick up with your equipment, be sure to do this under ideal atmospheric conditions and utilizing a target object with high thermal emissivity of an approximate value of 1.0.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good for you, many people do not, and in fact many people are diabetics that suffer from diabetic retinopathy as well, not to mention macular degeneration and a host of other eye diseases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, please add a Snellen eye chart too so the user can assess their own visual acuity of their cornea, lens, aqueous humor, and retinal gangalion cells at these distances before attempting to ID the tiny distant thermal heat signatures..

http://www.cascadilla.com/eyecharts/traditional/images/sample-large-traditional.jpg

That wasn't my question.

My question was how far down that chart can you personally read when you are being examined at your eye doctor?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try mounting your FLIR Vue up higher and keep the terrestrial portion of the camera in the bottom 20% of the lens to keep the terrestrial debris out of the gain control adjustments.

Then try making your own chart with the formulas and test them out with your gear to verify what you pick up with your equipment, be sure to do this under ideal atmospheric conditions and utilizing a target object with high thermal emissivity of an approximate value of 1.0.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skypup.

Thanks.

My vue  is mounted on top of my vehicle inside a go light housing.  Can you please show me how to make the calculations?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That wasn't my question.

My question was how far down that chart can you personally read when you are being examined at your eye doctor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't my question.

Thanks for your question, did you mean when I am examining myself?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My vue  is mounted on top of my vehicle inside a go light housing.  Can you please show me how to make the calculations?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skypup.

Thanks.

Simply input your data into the formulas you gleamed from reading the previous information carefully,
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't my question.

If that means you are an eye doctor and normally examine your own eyes, then yes.  When examining your own eyes, how far down on that chart can you read clearly?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Simply input your data into the formulas you gleamed from reading the previous information carefully,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Skypup.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I would not know how to do that and was hoping you could  walk me through it? Are you willing to help me with this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I will pass on your personal question.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's OK. I expected you to refuse that question.

If you ever see fit to actually wanting to be helpful to someone in this forum,  I would greatly appreciate your help understanding how to make those calculations for myself.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Whenever an NV/Thermal industry professional makes recommendations as to range, determination, and identification of specific devices based on their on their own subjective experiences in the field, they should first take into account the visual acuity of their prospective customer....
Take home message for novices is that what you think you are seeing, is not what someone else thinks are are seeing.
View Quote

Sounds like a very long, yet informative, way to get to "Your Mileage May Vary".    d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, even when duck hunting you must first make positive ID in the species of duck prior to pulling the trigger!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you ever see fit to actually wanting to be helpful to someone in this forum,  I would greatly appreciate your help understanding how to make those calculations for myself.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Sorry, but your SOL on that request too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

You fucking crack me up...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
, life is never boring unless you are!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

*you're*
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

*you're*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

*you're*

Your and You're are interchangeable down south. Both mean the same thing. Where I am from there is a difference...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
And if your one of the 10% of males with genetically X-linked color blindness, you might want to actually look through a GENII NVO device prior to dropping the coin on it, instead of just listening to the sales pitch.

A white phosphorous tube may be more to your liking.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And if your one of the 10% of males with genetically X-linked color blindness, you might want to actually look through a GENII NVO device prior to dropping the coin on it, instead of just listening to the sales pitch.

View Quote

Why is that? Both are monochromatic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One is green and the other is white, red-green color blindness is a disqualifier in many military activities, especially flying planes and choppers.

Since its locus is linked to the X chromosome, females do not have this genetic defect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One is green and the other is white, red-green color blindness is a disqualifier in many military activities, especially flying planes and choppers.

Since its locus is linked to the X chromosome, females do not have this genetic defect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand color blindness.
Why would shades of green matter vs shades of grey?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would not matter that much except for the differing color contrasts for the casual user, but still would disqualify NVO use while flying planes and choppers, as well as failing most medical aviation certifications.

The difference between utilizing rods vs cones for sight may also affect other situational awareness factors like balance, depth perception, contrast, etc. that the user may find discomforting.

For the casual user, white phosphor would most likely be a better choice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They would not matter that much except for the differing color contrasts for the casual user, but still would disqualify NVO use while flying planes and choppers, as well as failing most medical aviation certifications.

The difference between utilizing rods vs cones for sight may also affect other situational awareness factors like balance, depth perception, contrast, etc. that the user may find discomforting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so it wouldn't matter much. How does fact eyes are much more sensitive to shades of green play into it?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
It doesn't when you are RG colorblind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#26]
By the way white phosphor tubes are not monochromatic, the spectrum is wide and it's spikes are wider than with a single spike green phosphor.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for that info murtis!

Ah Wah, another epic thread for the Arfcom archives.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
By the way white phosphor tubes are not monochromatic, the spectrum is wide and it's spikes are wider than with a single spike green phosphor.
View Quote

I was speaking colloquialy... the main peak for wp is still green. And color blind folks loose one minor peak in the spectrum.

I actually find it amusing how most of wp spectrum is actually not visible to the human eye since it's in the UV range. Anyone checked for increases in eye cancer from users or are they filtered?

Anyhow this is way off topic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:Anyhow this is way off topic.
View Quote

No sense gettin' "sensitive" to that at this point in this thread.
There's plenty of room available out there in left field.    d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Anyhow this is way off topic.

The wheels left the track about page 2 but the thread is fun !
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:The wheels left the track about page 2 but the thread is fun !
View Quote

Oh yeah! I hafta say the thermal nerd back-n-forth has been very interesting.
I wish I was smart enough to filter the real info from the pure BS.
I was thinkin' the "Johnson Criteria" was some inside "guy" joke.  
Ima goat the woods and look for pigs far as my rods-n-cones'll let me see'em with the l'il dinky gear I gots available.  d:^)  Jake..
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone discussed the 19HD's warranty? or its resistance to the weather - or waterproofing?  I am curious if it good on those fronts.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of you motherfuckers are obtuse.  That's a technical term so I expect it to find favor at the feet of our overlords.

UNV, thank you for providing your videos, especially the one at 500 yards.  As a consumer, this is the kind of information I need in order to make a decision.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top