Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2019 12:54:54 AM EDT
I know this is gonna sound like a BS thread, but hear me out.

I have settled on buying the AWS OCPC (thanks to @Harv24) but have not purchased it as I am waffling on which way to go. I see coyote as a more low-profile color, but the OCPC is not exactly a low profile rig. In addition, the RMA plates I have coming in don’t exactly lend themselves to a low profile PC.

Multicam lends itself to blending in with the environment more but seems over-the-top for a civilian. It would work well in my area, however, as I live in an agricultural area.

For low-vis set-ups, I can see the use of a darker color vs multicam. For an overt PC, like the OCPC, I guess it doesn’t really matter, does it?

Go easy on me, bros.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#1]
This is one of those things I could go back and forth on.

Camouflage in a combat environment is important, but as a civvie? Ehh. It's kind of whatever. The odds it would ever make a truly meaningful difference to a user not wearing their gear out in the open for extended periods of conflict (and I don't mean "2 hours" by extended, I mean you're part of an active and ongoing regional conflict in which you participate in battles across days/weeks/months) is pretty damn small.

Overall, meh. Get whatever blends decently. You don't have to get camo, but you don't have to make yourself a screaming target either.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I value your opinion, so thanks for answering.

ETA: In the Chapo thread, two dead narcos were wearing coyote. I remember thinking how “bright” their coyote PCs looked in a city environment.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally go with Multicam to squeeze every advantage I can get out of my setup. If I need a true low-pro armor set-up I'll be putting on my FirstSpear slick.

For people getting into gear, I point out that high quality Multicam gear/equipment will be easier to find on the secondary market and cheaper as well. Coyote is about equal but most of it is surplus USMC stuff and not as high speed, refined as some of the other options out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Go camo, IMO.

If you're having to wear your PC, I'd say it's safe to assume you're wearing it for a reason: you want every advantage you can get. Standing out like a sore thumb wearing coyote doesn't sound like an advantage to me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
In terms of inexpensive availability, GI would be the way to go, and that would be Scorpion - which technically isn't Multicam.

For a low profile exposed look tho, no PC is. It's a plate carrier with multiple tactical stuff all over it. Regardless of color, it's not construction safety gear, or, out in rural areas, even remotely Carhartt. You wear it filling up the truck at the section line Grab Some Gas and you will stick out like a blaze orange bikini on a nude beach.

If overt during a shooting match is any issue, then Multicam, but if covert is the primary, then get a butternut canvas vest and sew in the pockets. You would actually want some second tier makers patch on it. "Blue Mountain," Dickies, etc.

I understand the current fad is to actually buy a plate, but frankly, it's that. From the old school Infantry perspective, being exposed enough to square your plate and shoot standing up his a high risk activity. Since defense has a three to one advantage over offense, I'd rather be prone behind a tree with an older Alice set, mag pouches on the hips and observing more than firing. MC is the better option there, but canvas brown once again works up close as not being "aggressively armed." Out in the rurals, identifying with land owners is more appropriate. Being "that guy" who looks like he moved in from the coast to set up some kind of communal compound, not so much.

You not only want to blend with the environment, you want to blend in with local garb and practices. A camo brodozer vs a white F250 kind of thing.

Which goes to another GD tradition, get both, and the contrary point of view we also see, don't get either. In this case, again, the current fad is plate carriers. Fads come and go. I don't think that the deputies circling a call out for a firefight out in the country are going to accept someone they stumble over wearing tactical kill gear in a warm and accepting manner.

"Hey bro wazzzup?"

More like, PUT DOWN THE GUN AND GET ON YOUR KNEES NOW. DO IT OR I WILL BLOW YOUR BALLS OFF! NOW!

Never assume someone coming to help is coming to help you. Might be backup for the other guy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
How about ranger green?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In terms of inexpensive availability, GI would be the way to go, and that would be Scorpion - which technically isn't Multicam.
View Quote
Probably not going to find a lot of scorpion inexpensive yet, still pretty new. Either way They look virtually the same on small items like pouches, and not a lot different on uniforms. British MTP blends well with the two as well, and they have some interesting gear/pouches at often good prices on the surplus market.

For the OP: get whichever you want, personally I’d go with coyote if OCP/multi cam wasn’t required for us, but I also don’t mind mixing and matching colors. A little mix and match looks like camo from a distance anyway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about ranger green?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How about ranger green?
Yeah, was thinking about that.

Quoted:

Probably not going to find a lot of scorpion inexpensive yet, still pretty new. Either way They look virtually the same on small items like pouches, and not a lot different on uniforms. British MTP blends well with the two as well, and they have some interesting gear/pouches at often good prices on the surplus market.

For the OP: get whichever you want, personally I’d go with coyote if OCP/multi cam wasn’t required for us, but I also don’t mind mixing and matching colors. A little mix and match looks like camo from a distance anyway.
True.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How about ranger green?
View Quote
Spiritus just got the Mk4 Chest Rigs back in stock in Ranger Green. I'm going to run one on top of a black Slickster.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
With Multicam being not much more expensive- if at all- I go with that anytime I can (or its relatives MTP and Scorpion). MC works exceedingly well out here, and solid colors simply don't blend as well as an appropriate camouflage. If you live in a heavily-forested area, find out what camo works well there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
MC for overt and dont look back
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Wear the best camo for your intended terrain(s).  MC is very useful, but there are other camo patterns, depending on usage.

THINK about where/when you will be wearing this stuff out in the open, and the answer will eventually become clear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got my OCPC about 2 weeks ago and I settled on multicam.  It's not a low-vis type of carrier.  I live in VA so brown isn't very common here, hence going multicam

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just got my OCPC about 2 weeks ago and I settled on multicam.  It's not a low-vis type of carrier.  I live in VA so brown isn't very common here, hence going multicam

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/214520/20191017_202122-1133140.jpg
View Quote
Fuck it, I’m getting the carrier in MC. Thanks for the pic. Gonna order it tomorrow morning.

@cone256

Are those HSGI tacos?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
that looks sharp. love it
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#17]
My gun cases, range bag, etc.are coyote or green just so I can see things more easily in them.  My plate carrier is MC. There is zero reason to not use MC. Noone thinks a coyote plate carrier is "friendlier" lol. The market to buy used MC gear you didnt like is larger than any other. As a police officer, I could really care less what someone thinks of my plate carrier being multicam.

I have a multicam Eberlestock pack... it cost me extra. Its harder to see stuff in it... especially other multicam stuff. Should have done dry earth. Oh well.

Ranger green? Hell no. Way too hard to find enoug ranger green gear to match and it has the smallest set of buyers for your used gear.

MultiCam blends well with Scorpion, MTP, etc. Noone would ever notice they didn't match.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck it, I’m getting the carrier in MC. Thanks for the pic. Gonna order it tomorrow morning.

@cone256

Are those HSGI tacos?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@cone256

Are those HSGI tacos?
@urbankaos04 Yes they are
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Just placed my order for the OCPC in MC. Looking forward to putting it all together. Will be using the set-up at CSAT’s CQB course, which was recently opened up to civilians.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I went back and forth on this when I ordered my PC. I ended up going MC. My biggest concern as silly as it sounds was that MC is going to go out of use or "style" like other camos have done in the not so distant past. Leaving it difficult to find matching accessories
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally prefer woodland for the woods.

But honestly, after a week in the field, whether the Philippines or Fallujah, they all blend in to the local dirt you've been sleeping in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Gonna order this tomorrow. Got the idea from @demoMouse in this thread.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, why that PC? It's mid 1990s-era design.

In any case, my advice would be to go with a single color like brown or green. If camo is required, add a layer.

Sorry, just finished the thread.

Enjoy the new PC!
View Quote
@bcauz3y

Yeah, I know it’s not the latest and greatest, but seems like the way to go with 1.2” RMA plates. Out of curiousity, what would you suggest?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey man, I ran a mayflower like that for like a decade. Nothing wrong with it.

Most dudes are running minimalist kit these days, but it's like anything else, personal preference.

Check out the SCARAB, Daeodon Light/ASS or the JPC 2.0.

I'm running an ASS as I love it.

But I love ASS, so....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/20180611_210149-1144447.jpg
View Quote
@bcauz3y

Lmao! Thanks for the response! Side note: What do you do? And what belt set-up is that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the additional info, bruh. And, uhhh, thanks for the pic, I think...lol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/15BBD2C3-EBD0-4117-8B6E-C275BE56D870_jpeg-1144334.JPG
View Quote
Nice! Glad I could help!

Hope it works out for ya

Like I said, take some time and play w your gear to figure out what works best for your needs
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 1:38:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice! Glad I could help!

Hope it works out for ya

Like I said, take some time and play w your gear to figure out what works best for your needs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/15BBD2C3-EBD0-4117-8B6E-C275BE56D870_jpeg-1144334.JPG
Nice! Glad I could help!

Hope it works out for ya

For sure, brother.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#31]
@bcauz3y

Hey, bro, I fixed the pic for you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#33]
FYI: AWS is running behind on their OCPC production. I’m looking at about a 3-4 week wait. No problem for me, but just a heads up for the snowflakes out there that can’t wait.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Esstac is the same probably. I think Velocity is one of the few that stay on top of production.

Here's the jones rig. Still set-up from a FoF class last week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01__1_-1145030.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01-1145031.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI: AWS is running behind on their OCPC production. I’m looking at about a 3-4 week wait. No problem for me, but just a heads up for the snowflakes out there that can’t wait.
Esstac is the same probably. I think Velocity is one of the few that stay on top of production.

Here's the jones rig. Still set-up from a FoF class last week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01__1_-1145030.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01-1145031.jpg
Tough to tell on my Iphone, but is that an inner velcro belt mated to the outside belt with velcro hooks? How comfortable is that?

By the way, the SCARAB pc looks like a pretty good set-up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know this is gonna sound like a BS thread, but hear me out.

I have settled on buying the AWS OCPC (thanks to Harv24) but have not purchased it as I am waffling on which way to go. I see coyote as a more low-profile color, but the OCPC is not exactly a low profile rig. In addition, the RMA plates I have coming in don’t exactly lend themselves to a low profile PC.

Multicam lends itself to blending in with the environment more but seems over-the-top for a civilian. It would work well in my area, however, as I live in an agricultural area

For low-vis set-ups, I can see the use of a darker color vs multicam. For an overt PC, like the OCPC, I guess it doesn’t really matter, does it?

Go easy on me, bros.
View Quote
Split the difference and do Ranger Green.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Too late, got multicam.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I personally prefer woodland for the woods.

But honestly, after a week in the field, whether the Philippines or Fallujah, they all blend in to the local dirt you've been sleeping in.
View Quote
I really like you.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Unless you can put a jacket over your PC ppl will notice it. I like MC because every piece of kit comes with it as a color option.

FWIW I went the armor carrier route instead of the plate carrier. I like the extra soft body armor coverage, and since far more criminals are using pistols than rifles I feel it's worth the couple extra lbs. PC are all the rage since they are used by special forces and they are lighter and cheaper since they are made with less material and you don't need to buy soft armor.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Good choice on the OCPC OP! I use mine for all my army activities as the IOTV is fucking dog shit. I find the 6094 style carrier to be a good do all rig. There are other rigs that fir other needs pretty well but the 6094 will do just about anything good enough. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:28:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I really like you.
View Quote
Quoted:

He is sexy.

Usually not wrong, and never throw a can at him.
View Quote
I think I had someone thumbs down one of my videos because they thought Bangkok rules was racists.

Fucker never watched Escape from NY.

Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:44:13 AM EDT
[#44]
You guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Coyote Tan Effectiveness PART I

Coyote Tan Effectiveness PART II

MultiCam® Effectiveness PART I

MultiCam® Effectiveness PART II
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Just got my RMA III+ plates in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Will do. I just gotta take some additional pics, plus give them another look over.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#49]
It’s a matter of personal preference.
Coyote is a good natural color found in just about every environment. Multicam is Multicam and is a good camp pattern.

Thing is though that neither are a chiller suit w veg tied in, so it’s really just personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Oddly, I usually go with coyote tan or OD plate carriers and belts and then use multicam pouches. So, in true arfcom fashion, get both.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top