BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Over the last 30 years I've owned three FN FAL rifles (two of them Paratrooper models) and one DSA FAL Paratrooper model. I never had any issues with any of the FN FAL rifles. The DSA FAL seemed to be a cheap copy of the FN FAL. I purchased some of the DSA made brand new 25 and 30 rd magazines. That DSA FAL did not feed reliably with any of the DSA made magazines. It worked "fairly" reliably with my surplus FN FAL magazines. I wouldn't buy another DSA made FAL if I decided to buy another FAL rifle. If you want quality buy the original FN FAL and not one of the cheap clones. I also currently have an FN SCAR 17 and it's a great rifle. Most all FN products are.
View Quote
What FN FAL rifles did you have?

The ones imported in the '80s had cast receivers.

The early G series is a rare collector item.

I believe those are the only real FN rifles imported, except perhaps a few full autos.

A parts kit gun built right on a proper forged receiver should work fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I just put one of my preban Springfield Armory SAR-48 on the exchange.  I would take this over a cost Belgian version everyday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that just now, sooo nice !!

Wish I had the cash but I just blew all my play money recently....
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
An FAL is a fantastically fun rifle to shoot… along with a Garand, I think one should due in everyone's safe.  I also also appreciate just how simple they are to maintain.  The design is brilliant.  A factory rifle, or a quality build, is utterly reliable and "infantry proof."  

I would recommend picking up an older DSA (built with military STG58 kits), or an Springfield SAR-48 (also consider ban era SAR-4800).  

There are a ton of "bubba" builds out there… be careful.  Building an FAL isn't rocket science, but much more intensive than building an AR.  Receivers and kits were once readily available for cheap, therefor home builds were/are not uncommon.  I had the displeasure of picking up a couple guns that were serious basket cases that needed a complete rebuild before I learned better.  

The comments about achieving constant 1 MOA with an FAL are laughable (but anything is possible on the internet!).  I recall that that there was a guy that put a ton of time and $$$ to build his "space guns" capable of 1 MOA accuracy… he got close, but it required significant modifications that I suspect would shave degraded the positive attributes of the platform.  

One should expect 2-4 MOA from a quality FAL with decent sights (I prefer para rest sight w/ A2 type apertures), I would be THRILLED with a rifle that constantly achieved 2 MOA.

If you want a highly accurate retro .308, and G3 type platform is far superior in that respect, but the G3 ergonomics and cleaning/maintenance of the platform falls short of the FAL.  That said, I am always pleasantly surprised by how accurate my Springfield SAR-3 (Greek HK-91) with factory German Hensoldt scope.  Fun on the bench.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as accuracy FAL are quite popular here and known to be really accurate with good handloads, expecially the StG58.
I dont reload and I'm not an sniper but 2ish MOA are not hard to achieve.
With patience good Match ammo and a scope I feel I could do better. Well not sub MOA of course.

Nowadays AR10 are getting more and more popular but 10-15 years ago all I saw at local military style rifles competitions were FAL and M1A
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a "high" adapter in the above pic.
Here's one maybe: http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414564

Or you might try Lucky Irishman Firearms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that he's using the adapter made by tbasmwmc on the FAL Files, although I don't believe he's making them anymore.
That's a "high" adapter in the above pic.
Here's one maybe: http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414564

Or you might try Lucky Irishman Firearms
Actually, DSA is now producing the whole folder assembly with that stock. Was shown at the 2017 Shot Show, and they have the Youtube of it out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw that just now, sooo nice !!

Wish I had the cash but I just blew all my play money recently....
View Quote
Thanks - she's beautiful in person.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Very few places in the world would I feel undergunned with a traditional 7.62NATO semi rifle.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top