Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2013 8:02:37 AM EDT
I'm new to this press and reloading in general. Have a small issue with my press. My interwebs searching found some other mentions of this problem, but no solid fixes or resolutions. A call to Hornady may be in order.

In station #5, the case retention spring rides just under the edge of the case head. This is do to the fact that at this point the spring is droping down into the channel between stations #5 and #1. This puts just enough upward pressure on the case to tilt it inward. During reloading (.223), about one in ten cases are tilted far enough that the bullet won't enter my crimp die and I have to one, be going slow enough not to damage anything, and two, I have to manually straigthen it. Not a horrible problem, but irritating.

In attempting to fix this via trial and error, I've found that any fix that raises the spring enough to hold the case straight in station #5, also doesn't allow the spring to drop in time to allow for smooth ejection just after station 5. In fact, most often any attempted fix causes the ejected cases to be smoothly laid onto the case feeding platform, still upright, which looks cool but is not useful.  Grrrrr.  I know I'm not the only one. Any ideas on this?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you noticeing this with all brands of brass?

Ive tried differant springs and sheel plates same thing happens,  

I have the same problem but only about 1 in 30  and I have noticed its only military brass that does it.

I havent checked with a good straight edge but was wondering in the case head could be slightly bowed from decapping the crimped primers.

Also check your shell plate one of mine is chipped on the bottom of one of the 5 slots and allows the brass to tip when priming (its now just a spare)

And then I also get the occasional hang up at the ejector (that was brought up here before)
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to give Hornady a call.  There was a bad batch of 9mm plates put out a couple of years ago that had this problem.

-Deke
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a pic IOC your shell plate if its not the machined looking one then hornady is aware of issues with them, send it in for replacement, you can tell if its dark grey And looks like it was cast instead of machined
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#4]

When I checked with Hornady to get mine replaced they said it would be months before they could replace it. I have issues with my 9mm and .223 plates and can't get them replaced right now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I think this is kind of endemic with the AP.  Mine has brass occasionly tilt and hang up going into the sizing die.  I have just learned to "feel" if

all the cases are fitting in their respective dies before going on with the stroke.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the same problem sometimes. I have corrected it by holding my finger down on the shellplate between the 4 and 5 stations on the upstroke, seems to help almost all of the time. I usually do this when loading mixed brass. Of course pull it out before you pinch it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Called Hornady but no real resolution. Apparently there is a slightly newer version of the shellplate, at least for #16, that went out in the last few months. They wanted to make sure I had that version, which I do. They were otherwise stumped as to what might be the problem, or maybe it is just part fo the design of this press that I'll have to work around. There are a few other things I'm going to check on and possible home made fixes. I'll will report back if I discover any more info or solutions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A video focused on that station while reloading until you get a "tilt" might help you figure it out . . . and an edited version showing a couple of rounds then the "tilt" might help Hornady.

Of course, once you turn on that camera, the problem will likely disappear :)
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I am also having this problem but not as often, on my press it is worst with 45/70 but all long cases do tip. I would first recommend tightening the shell plate raise it up and place a block under the ram and tighten the Allen bolt using your Allen wrench. I purchased a Hornady wrench to hold the shell plate so I can tighten the place. Doing this helped mine it keeps the plate from tipping but it has not fixed all of the stoppages. Also if you can use Dillon dies they have more of a radius on the bottom to help guide the brass or bullet into the die. Other then those things I have not gotten a real fix for this problem.

The large tab will fit into the shell plate and hold it so you can tighten the allen bolt, you should raise the press up so you do not damage the index pawls
" />
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I seem to remember awhile back, maybe quite awhile back that someone on this board had a solution.  If I remember correctly, the machined out area on the subplate had to be built up ever so slightly (I believe with a few layers of tape) so that the spring wouldn't drop away from the shell plate as soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When I checked with Hornady to get mine replaced they said it would be months before they could replace it. I have issues with my 9mm and .223 plates and can't get them replaced right now.

I sent mine in back about 2-3 weeks ago and just got notification that it's back enroute to me. I assume they are sending me the updated plate. So it's not that long of a wait. They fill their warranty items rather quickly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I am loading 223 today with the Lee FCD and having the same problem - OP described it perfectly. I also have the newest shell plate and quality Rem brass.

Please let us know if you find a solution as I am not crazy about the idea of modifying the sub plate at this time because I have no problem with any other calibers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Have followed thread and see zero resolutions. My first question to work towards solution is why station five loading .223 ?

You've got some options that don't include station five.

dc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#14]
My press does the same thing with 223 in station 5, but I seat bullets in #4 so its not an issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My press does the same thing with 223 in station 5, but I seat bullets in #4 so its not an issue.

Hornady AP is what's on my bench now. I like to keep it simple, stations one and two are empty. Station three has powder measure with rifle insert. I don't run Hornady PTX with machine, never owned one, never will. Station four is Hornady seater, roll crimp die set to seat and slightly taper case mouth.

dc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hornady AP is what's on my bench now. I like to keep it simple, stations one and two are empty. Station three has powder measure with rifle insert. I don't run Hornady PTX with machine, never owned one, never will. Station four is Hornady seater, roll crimp die set to seat and slightly taper case mouth.

dc.

This is exactly how I have mine as well but just today tried the Lee FCD for the first time in station 5 (backed out the roll crimp feature on the Hornady die of course). Not to hijack - but asking as a possible solution for OP - Do you like the roll crimp feature on the seater die better than the separate FCD?

Also Update: I found no interruptions when loading the brass through the entire cycle with Lee FCD. In other words, I notice the case tilt issue when "testing" for it by placing empty brass in station 4 and pressing it up - but when I go into the loading process I have no issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#17]
With the shell plate tightened correctly, the case retainer should not be able to do anything like tilt the cases.  Make sure you get that Allen screw properly secured.  I find that my own press tends to loosen that screw over time, so I have to periodically tighten it again.  Watch for poor ejection after station 5 as a sign the screw is loosening.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Allen and both set screws on ram, just beneath subplate as mentioned. Use Locktite on set screws or both will back out, again.

dc
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I believe I may have a solution.

I was running a decap Station 1, size/trim station 3, neck station 5 operation tonight and started getting this 'case tilt' you were referring to. I was like ok WTH...I remember seeing this on the board.

So I stopped after it seemed to start happening almost every case. Here is what I did.

1. Remove shellplate and spring

2. Clean entire shellplate where it looks new again (the hornady gun spray works great)

3. Clean the sub plate, use small plastic brush and get the grooves, then wipe off really good in the grooves until clean

4. Lay spring on shop towel, spray with hornady cleaner, fold rag over spring and pull it through the liquid on the rag with enough pressure to pull the spring apart, but not too much...about like trying to hold a bird.

5. Lube the bearings on shellplate, the surfaces that touch the lower base plate (I use axle grease, the red stuff) very light coat is all that's needed.

6. Replace shellplate. (use the wrench in prior post OR small 2x4 up under the ram at 1/2 height) lock down your allen screw with just a little pressure, doesnt need to be torqued down, just tight, you should feel smooth rotation of plate into each of those holes, if you have it too tight it will be noticable when you try to move it by hand.

7. lube the spring very lightly with axle grease., place spring back over shellplate, run spring down in groove (push spring down at station 5, advance to station one while pushing down on spring).

Done. This 100% resolved my issue. There is indeed a very slight tilt in this station, and my observations were when it gets a little muck up under there it raises the spring just enough to start becoming an issue. I ran another 500 rounds through

the trim i was doing and narry a problem. I would estimate that i'd run about 1k prior to experiencing the issue. So maybe it's a really good cleaning every 1k or so? I usually break mine down every time i'm finished with it, but due to expected

brass in today I didn't do that last night, so it's seen more consecutive brass run through it than prior. So maybe it's picky and likes to be clean. (which is fine by me)

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I have noticed if the primers are not set below flush the tipping is station 5 is bad enough at times to catch the Lee FC die.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Of course mine is doing this too.

I  THINK what is happening with mine is the spring starts getting lower on the case just as the press is getting ready to index/click. Then when it does index/click, the percussion of the click makes the spring come out of the groove of the case just a tad too early,,, letting the case tilt.

Is this pretty much what is happening with you guy's too.

That being said, I do have a shell plate that is probably 4 or 5 year's old. But it sounds like that may not be the fix any way.

I have a polite email into Hornady that includes a link to this thread, and a video I found on youtube showing the problem. I don't think they will reply,,, but I bet they read it.

Did you guy's see this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjU9T1FwRAs
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#22]
It might be your shell plates.

I have no issues.

But you must keep shell plate and spring and the lowering groove clean.

AND REGARDLESS OF WHAT PEOPLE SAY KEEP SHELL PLATE TIGHT.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Smooth press operation always yields superior results.  Slow down.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I  THINK what is happening with mine is the spring starts getting lower on the case just as the press is getting ready to index/click. Then when it does index/click, the percussion of the click makes the spring come out of the groove of the case just a tad too early,,, letting the case tilt.

That being said, I do have a shell plate that is probably 4 or 5 year's old. But it sounds like that may not be the fix any way.

I have a polite email into Hornady that includes a link to this thread, and a video I found on youtube showing the problem. I don't think they will reply,,, but I bet they read it.

http://Putnam.youtube.com/watch?v=wjU9T1FwRAs

Is the bottom of case contacting the E-JECT ramp at that point?
If so that is a flaw ....file and grind down
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjU9T1FwRAs

Is the bottom of case contacting the E-JECT ramp at that point?
If so that is. Flaw ....file and grind down

No it is not. Mine is happening just before that.

I don't know what's happening with the rest of you, but my problem is the spring is coming out of the groove on the case too soon..

I can slow it down very slow to see it happen every time.

Just for the hell of it, I did a quick little experiment similar to what a poster mentioned above.  I took a piece of weather strip about 1/2" long and stuck at the beginning of the channel for the spring on the press. It worked like a champ, except it was too long. But it told be this would fix it.

So what I'm going to do is put some shoe goo on there that I can trim to shape. It needs to be a ramp.  If I use shoe goo, I can pop it off if I want to. Then if I get something to work, I can maybe use some JB Weld.

Just my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Put new spring on. If it still does it you need a new shell plate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Put new spring on. If it still does it you need a new shell plate.

There is a brand new spring on there. Still does it. I even tried stretching it a bit like I read to do. Still does it.

As far as the shell plate goes, when did the come out with the latest version. Mine is at least 5 year's old. I bought it when the came out with the ez-ject system. I upgrade my base plate and bought the shell plate then. So I may not have the latest version.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Can you guy's tell if this is the latest version of the #16 shell plate. Like I said. It is at least 5 year's old. Hornady want's me to send it in with 5 shell's.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Thats NOT the latest version, according to what Hornady told me. I beleive they said it was just in the last few months. Anyway, I have the new version and I still have this problem.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thats NOT the latest version, according to what Hornady told me. I beleive they said it was just in the last few months. Anyway, I have the new version and I still have this problem.

Did you watch the youtube video I posted. Is that what your press is doing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the video and watched the 233 brass in my press.  It tilts slightly, but not enough to cause interference with either die I tested in station 5.  I used the Hornady seater die and the sleeve guides the round in.  A Lee FCD has no problems and straightens the slight tilt right up.

I watched numerous 45's going through station five and they have no tilt.

I realize that this doesn't solve the problem, but from what I see the spring is going to tilt 223 no matter what.  Possibly, Hornady dies will make it a non issue.  Maybe a combination of cleaning, new plates and the die brand reduce the problem so it has no effect on loading. (Although, I won't need station 5 for 223 anyway.)  

All of my plates are the newest version.  Machined appearance with only the number which looks engraved rather than stamped.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the video and watched the 233 brass in my press.  It tilts slightly, but not enough to cause interference with either die I tested in station 5.  I used the Hornady seater die and the sleeve guides the round in.  A Lee FCD has no problems and straightens the slight tilt right up.

I realize that this doesn't solve the problem, but from what I see the spring is going to tilt 223 no matter what.  Possibly, Hornady dies will make it a non issue.  Maybe a combination of cleaning, new plates and the die brand reduce the problem so it has no effect on loading. (Although, I won't need station 5 for 223 anyway.)  

All of my plates are the newest version.  Machined appearance with only the number which looks engraved rather than stamped.

Does your shell plate look like mine. In you opinion, do I have a newer one.

I too have the Hornady dies.

I have to seat in station 5 because I have a powder cop in 4, I powder charge in 3, because I have the Dillon low primer alarm. It would interfere with the powder drop if it was in station 2.

I can work around this if I stop before the press just before it index's/click's,,, then put my bullet in and guide it into the seater die. IDK. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to be. Is it?? lol.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to seat in station 5 because I have a powder cop in 4, I powder charge in 3, because I have the Dillon low primer alarm. It would interfere with the powder drop if it was in station 2.

I can work around this if I stop before the press just before it index's/click's,,, then put my bullet in and guide it into the seater die. IDK. Maybe that's the way it is supposed to be. Is it?? lol.

In my opinion, no it's not the newest one.  In fact, if my chronological order is correct it is one of the earliest ez ject models they made.   I've narrowed it down to three styles, but there may be more.

1.  There is one (like yours) with just the number and the index cutout (the cutout by the center hole) is at the shell space directly to the right of the number.  If the number is a 6:00 o'clock, the cutout is at 5:00 o'clock.  This one also has small circles around the perimeter on the bottom - at least the ones I have seen,

2.  The second style is a stamped look and is marked with the number and "Hornady".

3.  The newest type is very machined with crisp/sharp edges.  The number looks more engraved.  It can be mistaken for the first model, but the give away is when the number is at six o'clock, the index slot is at 10:00 o'clock.  I've only verified this with the new 8, 10, 45 and 16.  All are like this.  Also, the bottom is smooth, no circles around the perimeter.

Myself and I know Scorpius have had better results with the newest versions.  Some people report having better results with the older versions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Here are four new shell plates (top) compared to one of the "Hornady" marked plates (bottom 10).  Notice the indexing slot at 10:00 o'clock on the top four compared to  5:00 on the bottom one - with the number at 6:00 o'clock.

Here is the back side of the four new plates.  Smooth.  I'd bet yours has some circles printed around the edge.  I  could be wrong, but that is what I have seen.  I don't have any of the ones like yours for photo comparisons.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my opinion, no it's not the newest one.  In fact, if my chronological order is correct it is one of the earliest ez ject models they made.   I've narrowed it down to three styles, but there may be more.

1.  There is one (like yours) with just the number and the index cutout (the cutout by the center hole) is at he shell space directly to the right of the number.  If the number is a 6:00 o'clock, the cutout is at 5:00 o'clock.  This one also has small circles around the perimeter on the bottom - at least the ones I have seen,

2.  The second style is a stamped look and is marked with the number and "Hornady".

3.  The newest type is very machined with crisp/sharp edges.  The number looks more engraved.  It can be mistaken for the first model, but the give away is when the number is at six o'clock, the index slot is at 10:00 o'clock.  I've only verified this with the new 8, 10, 45 and 16.  All are like this.  Also, the bottom is smooth, no circles around the perimeter.

Myself and I know Scorpius have had better results with the newest versions.  Some people report having better results with the older versions.

Well you are spot on with mine being an early version since I bought it when the EZ-JECT system first cam out.

It's going to be awhile before a get to shoot much. I think I'll work me up about 100 round's to test, and then go ahead and send Hornady this plate and then hurry up and wait.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here are four new shell plates (top) compared to one of the "Hornady" marked plates (bottom 10).  Notice the indexing slot at 10:00 o'clock on the top four compared to  5:00 on the bottom one - with the number at 6:00 o'clock.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/rlr350/shellplates_zpsbe26e005.jpg

Here is the back side of the four new plates.  Smooth.  I'd bet yours has some circles printed around the edge.  I  could be wrong, but that is what I have seen.  I don't have any of the ones like yours for photo comparisons.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/rlr350/shellplatesback_zps09aecdd1.jpg

I don't see any printed circle's.

Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Hmmm. Looking at your pic's, it looks like your plate is a lot thicker where it holds the shell,,, in the groove. God I'm having a brain fade. What the hell is that groove called.

Mine has a very deep beveled edge, leaving what holds the case very thin. I think my issue would be fixed with a new plate.

See how mine tips. Of course this is a dramatization. Will yours do this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#38]
" />

I used Lee dies today and was getting the press to hang up every 10th round or so. My press was purchased for Christmas 2012. I hope I have the latest shell plate

I think if we could install in the ram plate( see arrow) one of the detent spring and ball like Hornady uses in the shell plate it would hold the brass level in the shell plate and would not tip. It would have to be installed off center so it does not push on the primer.

" />

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#39]
they are bevelled to much, send them back.

mine has NO TILT and is not bevelled as much
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I think I see the issue. Check your shell plate height off sub plate and see where you draw it in some.

Hornady's weak link to that press is the relationship between ram and sub plate. Not near my presses but I think there's two places to draw it in. One is bottom, inside ram. The other is two set screws each side of ram.

dc.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Interesting I will take another look at it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey RLR350.

I bet you don't have one of these in your collection.. I'm in no way affiliated. Found this on ebay.

Pretty much looks like a copy of my early shell plate.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Took another look at it this afternoon and did not figure out how to tightened it up.

wrote Hornady and I hope they get back to me.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hey RLR350.

I bet you don't have one of these in your collection.. I'm in no way affiliated. Found this on ebay.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/reloading%20stuff/T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqrSiBRQ8Eh522g60_57_zps81f0b7ba.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/reloading%20stuff/T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJvfBRQ8KlVK1w60_57_zpsc5fdeb59.jpg

Nope, sure don't.  I just read a thread about that company, but no pictures.  I'm interested in how well they work.  They look good.  Any reason for the bushings in the bearings or is it just his way to hold them?  Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
If Hornady would be able to pull enough heads from dark places to think an AP issue through, I'd be most impressed. I could be wrong, been wrong before and pretty sure before the nights over I'll be wrong again. This is a pot calling a kettle black but Hornady is too damned arrogant to look at the issue objectively.

Here's some photos to compare, part of your issue is Lee dies aren't meant to work within Hornady design. Yea, I know. " I've been using Lee dies in my AP for years and work fine for me."

There's getting by and there's working within the design.

Shell plate HAS TO BE drawn to sub plate. Notice in last picture where case rim retainer loop is located ? It can't be allowed to ride under case rim. I'd get into more detail but I've got a thing about tearing down a perfectly tuned press.

It's likely ram was cut short.

dc.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey RLR350.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/reloading%20stuff/T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqrSiBRQ8Eh522g60_57_zps81f0b7ba.jpg

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/reloading%20stuff/T2eC16VHJH8E9qSEWJvfBRQ8KlVK1w60_57_zpsc5fdeb59.jpg

Nope, sure don't.  I just read a thread about that company, but no pictures.  I'm interested in how well they work.  They look good.  Any reason for the bushings in the bearings or is it just his way to hold them?  Good luck with it!

I don't have one, I was just showing you the picture for your collection.

Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If Hornady would be able to pull enough heads from dark places to think an AP issue through, I'd be most impressed. I could be wrong, been wrong before and pretty sure before the nights over I'll be wrong again. This is a pot calling a kettle black but Hornady is too damned arrogant to look at the issue objectively.

Here's some photos to compare, part of your issue is Lee dies aren't meant to work within Hornady design. Yea, I know. " I've been using Lee dies in my AP for years and work fine for me."

There's getting by and there's working within the design.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130325_195240_zpsce33f39e.jpg
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130325_195249_zpscf558673.jpg
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130325_195533_zps6e5889f7.jpg
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130325_195516_zpscb412850.jpg
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/IMG_20130325_195321_zpsc41f5eb4.jpg

Shell plate HAS TO BE drawn to sub plate. Notice in last picture where case rim retainer loop is located ? It can't be allowed to ride under case rim. I'd get into more detail but I've got a thing about tearing down a perfectly tuned press.

It's likely ram was cut short.

dc.

and how exactly does one draw the shell plate get drawn to the sub plate? perhaps some pictures with arrows showing us what to tinker with so you don't have to tear yours down?
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Hmmm. Do you guy's have a little rocking motion with your shell plate. I never noticed this before.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#49]
First thing to check is gap between shell plate and sub plate. Bottom of shell plate has an outer groove and should be snugged to sub plate with maybe a few thousandths clearance. When shell plate is bolted down with Allen headed bolt there shouldn't be any up or down play allowing shell plate to rock to one side or the other.

Spacing between sub plate and shell plate shows, give or take a few thousanths, 0.100.

Check, see what you have,

dc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hmmm. Do you guy's have a little rocking motion with your shell plate. I never noticed this before.

Aahh, my question answered before the post. NO, there shouldn't be room for rocking motion.

dc
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top