Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2022 8:46:29 PM EDT
I recently picked up an SP5. I am going all out on this one: suppressor, handguard, VFG, weapon light, optics rail, red dot, and form 1 SBR folding stock.

I have a B&T folding stock incoming. Next up to tackle will be the handguard, VFG, and weapon light. I am looking for recommendations and pics of handguards and lights. I am currently looking at the Midwest Industries, Dakota Tactical, and B&T lightweight tri-rail. I want a strong sturdy handguard to mouth a light nice and tight at the 1:30 position and a pressure pad/button at 9:00-10:30. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is some ideas for you that I just completed on my SP5.

I went with the MI rail because of the sleek design, quick and easy mounting. Also, I hadn't really read anything bad about it.
Personal preference for the pad mounting, but for me I found it to be most comfortable to activate on right side of the rail.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went with the MI rail because of the sleek design, quick and easy mounting. Also, I hadn't really read anything bad about it.
Personal preference for the pad mounting, but for me I found it to be most comfortable to activate on right side of the rail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78485/AE35957A-36E8-47ED-933D-B63AD7055E6B_jpe-2260832.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78485/51030CE7-1074-47BB-BB6F-C7E952179AC0_jpe-2260835.JPG
View Quote

Where did you get that rubber band?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
This is where the MP5 really shows its age. Yes, you can mount just about whatever you want on it, but the ergonomics are going to be a bit of a struggle. On the left-hand side you need to have enough clearance to work the charging handle, which you'll be using a lot (because MP5).

Mine is setup with a Knights handguard and Cloud Defensive light at 10 via a Haley mount. I use the tailcap to activate and keep the remote switch at 3 in case I'm shooting off-hand. It's not ideal but it works. Can grab pictures if helpful, just let me know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Steiner LDITL if you can locate one.  They often sell at auction same day but if you're in the hunt luck will smile upon you.

The incandescent model can be converted to LED.  Just buy any version you come upon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the cadex rail.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78485/AE35957A-36E8-47ED-933D-B63AD7055E6B_jpe-2260832.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78485/51030CE7-1074-47BB-BB6F-C7E952179AC0_jpe-2260835.JPG
View Quote

Mine is very similar to this. I have a TLR-1 on an M-LOK hand guard. Pressure pad is on the left. Works great!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

A buddy gave it to me but they are Ranger Bands from Gearward
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a Dakota forend and a surefire mini scout at 1:00, with a unity tactical hot button and BCM mini grip. Works perfect.

Hot button is at 9:00 just behind the charging handle and doesn't interfere with it at all.

I went this route after my early LDI/steiner forend got funky with button issues
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Andrewc_c, which light, pad, and mounts are you using. Looks good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
135Patriots, pics would be great! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use a Dakota forend and a surefire mini scout at 1:00, with a unity tactical hot button and BCM mini grip. Works perfect.

Hot button is at 9:00 just behind the charging handle and doesn't interfere with it at all.

I went this route after my early LDI/steiner forend got funky with button issues
View Quote

Could you please post pics?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
135Patriots, pics would be great! Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Andrewc_c, which light, pad, and mounts are you using. Looks good.
View Quote

Thank you.

Light: Modlite PLHv2 18350 body w/ Surefire KE2-DF head.
Pad: Surefire ST07 pad with a Magpuls m-lok mount
Light mount: Arisaka inline m-lok mount
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you please post pics?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]

That's perfect. I like how far forward you are able to get the light. I will be running 100% suppressed as well. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you.

Light: Modlite PLHv2 18350 body w/ Surefire KE2-DF head.
Pad: Surefire ST07 pad with a Magpuls m-lok mount
Light mount: Arisaka inline m-lok mount
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

go to the store, buy a bicycle inner tube, and cut it to whatever sizes you want.  Will last forever and you will end up with hundreds of "ranger" bands
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

That works also.  Inner tube is cheaper option and will make hundreds of bands was my take on it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That works also.  Inner tube is cheaper option and will make hundreds of bands was my take on it.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I looked hard at the MI handguard for my PTR 9KT but purchased a German HK forend with VFG, instead.
Kinda having second thoughts, now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#22]
My personal setup:

MI rail is rock solid with no issues.  A bit lighter with no excess 1913 rails like traditional rails.  I used the cantilever Magpul Scout light mount and it works really well.  I did not have the desire to "upgrade" to a nicer one because, well, it works just fine.  It fits in the 1 O'Clock position and I modified my Streamlight Protac 1 switch to fit into the 9 O'Clock position.  The Protac 1 is definitely not the best light out there, but it works for interiors.  So for the switch, I gently drilled a larger diameter hole in the existing holes.  You'll lose the waterproofing here unless you re-seal with silicone.  But I opened the holes to use the M-Lok hardware to mount directly to the rail.  No excess attachments.  The beauty of it is that you can remove one mounting screw and it all comes off as a unit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
KAC RAS, Modlight and mod buton

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm pretty sure I've had or done every setup imaginable for this platform. M-Lok with lights, picatinny with lights... Etc. And I actually still do the Cadex tri-rail with modlight/modbutton on one of mine.

But I always come back to simplicity.

And that would be the Surefire lighted handguard. Cons = price, limited suppressor usage and flood  (I'm not a huge fan of Surefire lights with all the flood but...)

328LMF-B 500 Lumen or 628LMF-B 1000 lumen.

I have 2 of these currently on my guns

Attachment Attached File

Cadex and KAC MP5 RAS

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can also rummage through these threads for ideas:

Here and Here

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#25]
to me it's already heavy for a pistol, so use the surefire light built into the handguard to keep weight down, add a red dot for modern
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all of the great info. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite (and with ability to use a suppressor) is the MI handguard and a tape switch.  I ran mine through the handguard so no cords showing.  It turned out great!  I do love the classic surefire and newer one as well, but you can’t run a 3 lug can with that setup.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The MI would be good as their MLOK layout lets you do a lot. The Magpul has some options, but not as much. Some people have gotten creative with those with good results.
The B&T lighted foreend is ok, and will clear cans. You can put rails on the sides, which I tried. The idea was that it would be a location for an IR light/laser to go with the white light. However, the B&T foreend feels too narrow for me, which may be good for others. I also decided to integrate IR and visible light and still have an IR laser so I ultimately went with a KAC RAS and will put a VLR2 on it. The KAC lets you use whatever VFG/AFG you want while the B&T really won’t.

Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/H7rLAmX.jpg
View Quote

I've tried a bunch  of stuff and this is also what I've currently settled on. I'd love  to be able to put the switch up on top of the cocking tube somehow.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've tried a bunch  of stuff and this is also what I've currently settled on. I'd love  to be able to put the switch up on top of the cocking tube somehow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you could if you were wiling to slum it with a MI optic mount.  

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-mp5tr.htm
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:07:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can... Instagram #turquoise_paintpen

Check it out

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

velcro
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#33]
After 30ish years, the Surefire handguard is still the best design
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This (minus not being able to use a 3 lug suppressor)
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#35]
RAS, RAS mount, T-2 on a absolute scalar works, surefire m300 on a Arisaka offset, with a Cloud Defense LCS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true unfortunately.

OP you could also look at the B&T TL99 handguard. Should clear most suppressors.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone needs to make an updated version that takes lower profile lights. Any patents should be long expired
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Someone needs to make an updated version that takes lower profile lights. Any patents should be long expired
View Quote

I briefly considered getting one of the SF lights a few months ago, and started trying to hunt down one of the SF offset light adapters that would allow mounting a can. Those things are stupid expensive if you can find one.
I did go the B&T route, but I found I didn't really like how narrow the profile was, so now it sits in my MP5 parts box.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The MI would be good as their MLOK layout lets you do a lot. The Magpul has some options, but not as much. Some people have gotten creative with those with good results.
The B&T lighted foreend is ok, and will clear cans.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/1DB0498F-B8E9-4BA8-BC4A-6907E7609D34-2157236.jpg
View Quote

What exactly are you holding onto on the B&T foreend? The bulge that is the light shaft? Not enough room to hold onto the main foreend itself, no?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hate the emblazoned “Surefire” lettering on the side in the later iteration though
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What exactly are you holding onto on the B&T foreend? The bulge that is the light shaft? Not enough room to hold onto the main foreend itself, no?
View Quote

With the way the switch is positioned your hand kind of creeps down towards the narrower part of the body where the light assembly is. There's not necessarily anything wrong with it, and it's certainly functional, it's just not comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I also did the ras and light with mod button.  It was okay but kind of awkward to activate the light.  MI rail is best I think for modern setup. This is also running a magpul tape switch mount.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also did the ras and light with mod button.  It was okay but kind I’d awkward to activate the light.  MI rail is best I think for modern setup. This is also running a magpul tape switch mount.
https://i.imgur.com/0rcc8x9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vkt8biJ.jpg
View Quote

Pretty similar to my setup but I also felt it was awkward to activate the light on the left so I moved mine to the right side of the rail.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So aside from the following:

1. Can't use an Hk 3-lug spec mount without locating a rare auction item drop head adapter that may not actually solve your QD suppressor mounting problem, and probably really won't
  2. Has a known tradition of cracking off the locking pin eyelets when even marginally dropped, or just by taking it on and off over the course of time, or even if the light head/body is overtightened while the hand guard is mounted
  3. Has the on/off rocker switch in what owners may find is an annoying placement to where you might wonder why it wasn't placed on the other side
  4. Has the rocker switch (and even the momentary pad) sometimes keep the light on when it's supposed to be off
  5. Has kinda iffy quality control and pretty slow factory support for reported customer complaints lately
  6. Advertises SUREFIRE in raised plastic lettering which may not bother you until you encounter problems 1 through 5 above
then yes, the Surefire 628 is the best MP5 integrated forearm light design  providing you've never seen a Steiner LDITL in your life which is understandable.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#46]
A couple of months ago I found a Surefire 628 at my local gun store for $150. It was a "police take off". LED in awesome shape with just a little carbon on the light from very little shooting. I do not think the shop knew what it was worth.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You can... Instagram #turquoise_paintpen

Check it out

View Quote

These look great. Waiting on his new version.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Here’s a PTR 9CT with a couple of our parts. The trigger group makes the MP5 much faster in semi auto. The new grip angle and placement really helps the balance of the gun. The grip is .62” forward and .42” higher than the original. This moves a good bit of weight rearward, extends your length of pull, and lowers the bore axis over your firing hand. You can also drop mags with your index finger, without taking your hand off the grip, like AR.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cYzCmmDcAJHHF9nM9

Here’s a PTR 9CT with a couple of our parts. The trigger group makes the MP5 much faster in semi auto. The new grip angle and placement really helps the balance of the gun. The grip is .62” forward and .42” higher than the original. This moves a good bit of weight rearward, extends your length of pull, and lowers the bore axis over your firing hand. You can also drop mags with your index finger, without taking your hand off the grip, like AR.
View Quote

Very interesting!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cYzCmmDcAJHHF9nM9

View Quote

Photo isn't showing up. What trigger group?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top