BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the green plus.

I took it out last night. Even more impressive. I giggle a little every time I crank it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy bejeezus - is that the 18mW Green+, or 12mW Standard?
It's the green plus.

I took it out last night. Even more impressive. I giggle a little every time I crank it up.
What I'm waiting on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there a zeroing target for the Perst units with correct offset for a parallel zero?
View Quote
Not that I'm aware of.

I just took my Perst-2s and zeroed the viz laser to the same POA as my magnified optics at 120yds (furthest I could get to so far).

With the laser being offset both vertically and horizontally, maintaining an accurate offset which tracks absolutely parallel to the bore is going to be impossible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not that I'm aware of.

I just took my Perst-2s and zeroed the viz laser to the same POA as my magnified optics at 120yds (furthest I could get to so far).

With the laser being offset both vertically and horizontally, maintaining an accurate offset which tracks absolutely parallel to the bore is going to be impossible.
View Quote
I think the theory behind the parallel zero is that you have an offset in the windage of the difference between the center line of your bore and the center line of the laser. Doing that you only have the difference in elevation, which should be the same(/similar to) as your optic/iron sights.

I haven't confirmed zero yet, but with my klesh-2 I aligned the laser with my rds at about 20 yards and the lasers dot is covered by the RDS at every distance I've been able to check it at.  I'm curious to see if it actually works when I get to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not that I'm aware of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a zeroing target for the Perst units with correct offset for a parallel zero?
Not that I'm aware of.

yeah the point of parallel offset is to eliminate one set of variables you have to keep track of. When you're shooting with an optic or laser that's aligned above the bore, you only have to worry about drop (and wind, technically).

When it's offset vertically and horizontally, if you use a converging zero, it means you have to consider drop but also whether the target is closer or further than the zero distance, and thus whether to hold left or right and by how much.

A parallel zero means you know you always hold 1" to the right and then determine your drop, etc. That 1" doesn't change, regardless of the distance, where a converging zero means that up closer than 120 yards (in your case), you'd have to hold right an inch or so, narrowing to dead hold at 120 yards, and then increasingly to the left past that. Understandably inconvenient for quick shooting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone noticed that the Perst3+ visible is noticeably brighter than the perst 4+ vis laser? I'm talking green models.

The perst 3+ green laser is atleast 10-20% brighter
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think the theory behind the parallel zero is that you have an offset in the windage of the difference between the center line of your bore and the center line of the laser. Doing that you only have the difference in elevation, which should be the same(/similar to) as your optic/iron sights.

I haven't confirmed zero yet, but with my klesh-2 I aligned the laser with my rds at about 20 yards and the lasers dot is covered by the RDS at every distance I've been able to check it at.  I'm curious to see if it actually works when I get to shoot with it.
View Quote
Converging zero works fine, but if you can, try to find a "long ass far away" target to converge on. As it sits on your gun, the diode is X mm Right, and Xmm Above the bore. Going off memory of my Holosun because I haven't measured my PERST-3, it's like 15mm and 20mm. This is the *MOST* you will be off at Point Blank, *and* -Double- the distance you converge at.

So if you converge on a tree at 300 yds, the most you will be off laterally, is 15mm at the muzzle, and at 600 yds. All you need to account for, is drop - treat the laser dot like its your optic aiming point. Also remember, that at even 50 yds, your "dot" is actually about the size of a Quarter to Half Dollar, and it grows as it travels - so that 15mm offset becomes less and less important.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Converging zero works fine, but if you can, try to find a "long ass far away" target to converge on. As it sits on your gun, the diode is X mm Right, and Xmm Above the bore. Going off memory of my Holosun because I haven't measured my PERST-3, it's like 15mm and 20mm. This is the *MOST* you will be off at Point Blank, *and* -Double- the distance you converge at.

So if you converge on a tree at 300 yds, the most you will be off laterally, is 15mm at the muzzle, and at 600 yds. All you need to account for, is drop - treat the laser dot like its your optic aiming point. Also remember, that at even 50 yds, your "dot" is actually about the size of a Quarter to Half Dollar, and it grows as it travels - so that 15mm offset becomes less and less important.
View Quote
That's basically what I notice. The bloom from the laser and the dot in my aimpoint are pretty much one spot from ~10' out as far as I can see, I've looked at trees at least 200 yards away and it's the same.

Worst system I've ever seen this on is a pistol with crimson trace grips the laser is on target only at one distance and is all over the place before and after it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah the point of parallel offset is to eliminate one set of variables you have to keep track of. When you're shooting with an optic or laser that's aligned above the bore, you only have to worry about drop (and wind, technically).

When it's offset vertically and horizontally, if you use a converging zero, it means you have to consider drop but also whether the target is closer or further than the zero distance, and thus whether to hold left or right and by how much.

A parallel zero means you know you always hold 1" to the right and then determine your drop, etc. That 1" doesn't change, regardless of the distance, where a converging zero means that up closer than 120 yards (in your case), you'd have to hold right an inch or so, narrowing to dead hold at 120 yards, and then increasingly to the left past that. Understandably inconvenient for quick shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not that I'm aware of.

Yeah, tracking on the pros and cons of both. Ran my CQBL as a parallel zero for years, but just gave up on it with the Perst units as the powerful viz laser made zeroing to POA in the daytime so easy and measuring the differences between the bore and laser module in both directions just seemed like a PITA.

Augee did a good write up on how the "parallel zero" isn't really even a thing when you get down to the actual adjustments being made, and it's not like we're using IR lasers to take the wings off a fly at 200yds.

This will be the Ford v Chevy in the IR laser world forever, I suspect, with both/neither camp being right or wrong.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what he ^ said, haha.

Did a converging zero at 120yds as that was as far as I could get out and still see the viz laser with my 4x ACOG on a bright sunny day. I plan on going further when a cloudy day or dusk shooting time presents itself.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I sent my PERST3 back to Russia on Feb 4.

It’s supposedly fixed and on its way back to me now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Just saw a new listing, perst 4m laser. 40mW green laser this time...

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/flashlights-and-accessories/flashlights/zenitco-perst-4m-universal-dual-green-visible-ir-tactical-laser-designator/

Looks like the back needs to be screwed off for battery replacement. If so, pass. Also don't like the activation toggles, given it's meant to be able to be used on a pistol too. Otherwise, pretty neat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://ivantactical.com/shop/weapon-accessories/flashlights-and-accessories/flashlights/zenitco-perst-4m-universal-dual-green-visible-ir-tactical-laser-designator/

Looks like the back needs to be screwed off for battery replacement. If so, pass. Also don't like the activation toggles, given it's meant to be able to be used on a pistol too. Otherwise, pretty neat.
View Quote
I like that as a pistol laser. Dual pistol lasers are pretty much non existent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I sent my PERST3 back to Russia on Feb 4.

It’s supposedly fixed and on its way back to me now.
View Quote
usps?

fedex screwed me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, as a pistol laser it looks pretty cool, and built like a tank. For a rifle, I don't like it for the same reasons I don't like x300u's on rifles. Personal preference I suppose. That visible laser rating is ridiculous though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I think that dual pistol laser would look pretty sweet on my milsurp M17... it might add a nice east meets west aesthetic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, as a pistol laser it looks pretty cool, and built like a tank. For a rifle, I don't like it for the same reasons I don't like x300u's on rifles. Personal preference I suppose. That visible laser rating is ridiculous though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoting myself here, but seems that according to zenitco, the new unit comes with different back-ends: one for pistol use with side toggles, and the other with traditional back-facing buttons.

https://zenitco.ru/upload/iblock/fad/pribor-kombinirovannyy-perst-4p-zelyenyy-.jpg
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
That is pretty cool if you don't need an illuminator - compact looking unit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got my PERST4 from @BigxCat (I think I have the poster’s handle correct).

Haven’t been able to get outside under NODS, but I’ve played around with it in the living room and it darn sweet.

Switching is fantastic and aside from the battery being on top it’s well thought out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Haven't had problems with the Perst-4 so far.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://imgur.com/n7ZQ6ro

Haven't had problems with the Perst-4 so far.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#21]

I love the "F it, spray it all mentality" That thing looks salty. Looks like my Iraq rig, minus the LASER - Spayed outside a tent in Kuwait, before crossing NavStar the next day

Fresh as a Daisy, LOL!:

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love the "F it, spray it all mentality" That thing looks salty. Looks like my Iraq rig, minus the LASER - Spayed outside a tent in Kuwait, before crossing NavStar the next day

Fresh as a Daisy, LOL!:

https://i.imgur.com/CEPYliy.jpg
View Quote

Ahhh, FHM. Takes me back to a better time. A simpler time. A sandier time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Sorta similar
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quick question. Is the Perst-4M the only commercially available handgun laser with a full power green beam?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone else with a perst 4 green+ go through batteries pretty quickly if you run it a lot??
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Similar setup. Still haven't shot under nods but I love the green laser.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone had a Perst get out of Russia recently?  I've have a shipment that was release by Russian customs on the 19th but nothing since then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone had a Perst get out of Russia recently?  I've have a shipment that was release by Russian customs on the 19th but nothing since then.
View Quote

Mine says it's being prepared at origin post, aka released from customs and waiting for the container to be filled before shipping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Has anybody got their hands on the Perst-4M from Ivan yet? Apparently it has a 40mW green laser! It looks pretty compact, and I think it's a newer version of the pistol model they make because they call it "universal" and say it can mount to rifle or pistol.

Im buying a Perst-4 Green+ tonight, unless someone here convinces me that 100$ more for the 4M is worth it. Its slimmer, lighter, and more powerful, but i haven't seen a single thing on it besides the photos ivan provides.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has anybody got their hands on the Perst-4M from Ivan yet? Apparently it has a 40mW green laser! It looks pretty compact, and I think it's a newer version of the pistol model they make because they call it "universal" and say it can mount to rifle or pistol.

Im buying a Perst-4 Green+ tonight, unless someone here convinces me that 100$ more for the 4M is worth it. Its slimmer, lighter, and more powerful, but i haven't seen a single thing on it besides the photos ivan provides.
View Quote

Take the manufacturers power ratings with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Take the manufacturers power ratings with a grain of salt.
View Quote

This gets hinted at a lot for PERSTs (and may be true), but there is never any data. If you (not "you" you ^) measured it, video it and put it on the Tube. In one take, use a control device (probably a MAWL-DA?) and put it on the meter. Then remove it, and put on the PERST. When I look at comparison vids, to *my* eyes, the PERST always looks best (and I'm speaking specifically about the TFB-Side TV comparison vid). But I have both confirmation, and selection bias

Edit: But this is only for IR, I have not seen any Viz Green comparison vids.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This gets hinted at a lot for PERSTs (and may be true), but there is never any data. If you (not "you" you ^) measured it, video it and put it on the Tube. In one take, use a control device (probably a MAWL-DA?) and put it on the meter. Then remove it, and put on the PERST. When I look at comparison vids, to *my* eyes, the PERST always looks best (and I'm speaking specifically about the TFB-Side TV comparison vid). But I have both confirmation, and selection bias

Edit: But this is only for IR, I have not seen any Viz Green comparison vids.
View Quote

It can be both the best laser by far in its price range and possibly the most powerful/best laser easily available civilians AND have BS numbers

I’m just saying that quoting manufacturer numbers as a reason to buy is probably a bad idea*

TFB article

“I was more interested in the IR Illuminator. Testing it the night before, the intensity of the laser appeared to only be on par with the MAWL-C1+. Sure enough, the laser meter measured to just about 44mW. Nowhere close to 500mW. Maybe this unit is defective? However, I have a hard time believing that the Perst-3 housing can contain a 500mW IR laser illuminator.“

Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Cool, thanks. It'd be cool if he could test a few more (or "his guy" could).
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks. It'd be cool if he could test a few more (or "his guy" could).
View Quote

Agreed.

I think it would be neat to see all of them lined up and truth tested in batches of 5. Get some nice graphs and charts for us nerds
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]
It also seems like the lasers, even rated at the same, vary in power.

My friends PERST 3+ green laser is significantly brighter than my PERST 4+ green laser, yet are both rated the same.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It can be both the best laser by far in its price range and possibly the most powerful/best laser easily available civilians AND have BS numbers

I’m just saying that quoting manufacturer numbers as a reason to buy is probably a bad idea*

TFB article

“I was more interested in the IR Illuminator. Testing it the night before, the intensity of the laser appeared to only be on par with the MAWL-C1+. Sure enough, the laser meter measured to just about 44mW. Nowhere close to 500mW. Maybe this unit is defective? However, I have a hard time believing that the Perst-3 housing can contain a 500mW IR laser illuminator.“

View Quote

Spot on IMO.

The bar for non-MAWL civilian legal lasers is so low that there's plenty of space for the Perst to wildly outperform the civi stuff and still not meet the lofty claims of the manufacturer. Personally, I'm not going to lose any sleep about it, the same way ammo not chronoing what the box says isn't going to bug me. So long as it does the job to my level of expectation (and I'm not particularly experienced with this stuff, so my expectations were set on pretty shallow experience), I'm pretty happy. My example of one is very impressive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I think it would be neat to see all of them lined up and truth tested in batches of 5. Get some nice graphs and charts for us nerds
View Quote

My man. Data or it didn't happen, hahaha!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Anybody got a beat on how the klesch 2 and perst 4 combination works together? Worth it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anybody got a beat on how the klesch 2 and perst 4 combination works together? Worth it?
View Quote

Why deal with operating and keeping good batteries in two devices compare to a P3 or 2 where you can activate the IR illuminator and laser with one action?

Is it a price thing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why deal with operating and keeping good batteries in two devices compare to a P3 or 2 where you can activate the IR illuminator and laser with one action?

Is it a price thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?

In my limited experience with the IR klesh-2, I think you could do good work with just the IR klesh-2 and a separate white light, but I don't use lasers in the daytime.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?
View Quote
Its a price thing but also a profile thing. A PERST 2 or 3 takes up a huge chunk of space. You can also upgrade a piece at a time instead of all at once. If you mount your Perst on top, the 4 takes up less vertical space than a 2 or 3.  Which is important if you're using an optic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?

Price is one. More batteries split between 2 devices can also mean longer run times. The short nature of the weapon it's being mounted to means I don't need a 1200 meter laser illuminator. If one craps out, I can slap on a spare illuminator or designator while being returned for warranty.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In my limited experience with the IR klesh-2, I think you could do good work with just the IR klesh-2 and a separate white light, but I don't use lasers in the daytime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?

You mean the klesch 2d or 2p ir? I wanted to do that but I was told that the dual switch only works for the perst 4 with klesch 2 dual band light only, not any of the other klesch lights.

Edit: I think you are taking about the klesch 2iks, of which I already have one on order. Hopefully it fulfills my needs like you describe it should. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Price is one. More batteries split between 2 devices can also mean longer run times. The short nature of the weapon it's being mounted to means I don't need a 1200 meter laser illuminator. If one craps out, I can slap on a spare illuminator or designator while being returned for warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a price thing?

That makes sense. Running a P2 on a Colt 6945 upper with and ACOG and there's no room for a remote switch between the P2 and the ACOG. Put another P2 on a 6.5G upper that wears a 3-15x day optic and same same with regards to there not being enough rail-estate between the end of the scope and the back of the P2 to use a pressure pad.

Not a huge deal for me as the buttons on the back of the units are easily accessed by the thumb of either support hand on the VFG, but for those who do the clamp grip thing and want the pressure pad that'd be a legit PITA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Is this a first gen Perst-4 advertised as a 2nd gen?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Finally got to get out and shoot a bunch with my Perst-3. I'm really impressed with it. Only drawback I encountered was that the wire holding the caps on the adjustment screws broke off. Not a huge deal. The caps and the wire felt kinda cheap from the get go. Other than that, the device worked very well. The illuminator was really impressive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You mean the klesch 2d or 2p ir? I wanted to do that but I was told that the dual switch only works for the perst 4 with klesch 2 dual band light only, not any of the other klesch lights.

Edit: I think you are taking about the klesch 2iks, of which I already have one on order. Hopefully it fulfills my needs like you describe it should. Thanks.
View Quote

Yes, sorry, I am talking about the "iks".  

This rifle only has a 7" handguard on it, so I'm lacking space to mount the white light. You would have to activate the white light with a different switch.  

If I get to a point where I can justify another IR light/laser for a rifle, I'll be trying a perst due to the size/shape.  As you can see the klesh-2 is a bit cumbersome.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That makes sense. Running a P2 on a Colt 6945 upper with and ACOG and there's no room for a remote switch between the P2 and the ACOG. Put another P2 on a 6.5G upper that wears a 3-15x day optic and same same with regards to there not being enough rail-estate between the end of the scope and the back of the P2 to use a pressure pad.

Not a huge deal for me as the buttons on the back of the units are easily accessed by the thumb of either support hand on the VFG, but for those who do the clamp grip thing and want the pressure pad that'd be a legit PITA.
View Quote
Yes.  Gen 2 doesn't have the battery door on top and the gain buttons are on top, not on the side.
Pictured is definitely Gen 1.

ETA photo of my Gen 2 that I posted on page 24 of this thread.
Battery installs from the front and gain buttons are on top next to the fire button.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#49]
So do all Gen 1 Perst-4P have issues holding zero?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a klesch 2 on its way now with the newer dual remote switch. When it arrives I’ll update the thread.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top