Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2017 7:30:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
We haven't heard from the hippie kicker ok 48 hrs.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good deal for both of them, S&W buys suppressor technology and can ramp up large scale manufacturing when HPA passes, Gemtech can cash out while suppressor sales stall while buyers hold off because of HPA.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit.....looks like NVcarbines post in GD yesterday was correct......didn't even see it....

Lots of folks seem to think it's in anticipation of something HPA-related happening......for some reason I don't....although I do feel that suppressor sales will jump back up rapidly once wait times drop to below "41F panic" levels.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit.....looks like NVcarbines post in GD yesterday was correct......didn't even see it....

Lots of folks seem to think it's in anticipation of something HPA-related happening......for some reason I don't....although I do feel that suppressor sales will jump back up rapidly once wait times drop to below "41F panic" levels.....
View Quote
Meh, I just think it's S&W trying to expand.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Very interesting. Perhaps SW taking the same path as Ruger but relying on prior experience vs trying it on their own.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't Gemtech have substantial LE contracts? I bet those get expanded greatly under S&W

I hope the right people make more money, innovation continues i.e. new Trek, and they make wht consumers want

@phd
@techstaff
@ikickhippies
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't Gemtech have substantial LE contracts? I bet those get expanded greatly under S&W

I hope the right people make more money, innovation continues i.e. new Trek, and they make wht consumers want

@phd
@techstaff
@ikickhippies
View Quote
I think this was in the works for a little bit.

Video released April 2016

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YjHhybDjA[/youtube]
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
At first blush, this seems to make a lot of sense, especially for Gemtech.

S&W should give them the capital needed to boost production capacity and bring prices down.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think this was in the works for a little bit.

Video released April 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0YjHhybDjA
View Quote
It might have been, even with the downturn in the market they recently broke ground on a new, larger headquarters in Meridian, ID.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/09/gemtech-headquarters/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=SumoMe&utm_campaign=sumome_share
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Hadn't watched that video in a while. I wonder what they manufacture in Arizona and Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's fine. I was talking to him yesterday about it.

They all have jobs still.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe they think HPA will pass?
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag for possible answers.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I want one of the new Gemtech Treks.  It would be sweet if they made one for 6.5 or 6.8!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I want one of the new Gemtech Treks.  It would be sweet if they made one for 6.5 or 6.8!
View Quote
Pinned to a 10.5" M&P15!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Camping.  Celebrating Brexit 1776.

Turn computer off. Go outside. Breathe fresh air. Detonate pyrotechnics.

[rickjames] it's a celebration [/rickjames]

Quoted:
6.5 maybe one day when we have some time.  

6.8 I'd rather be mauled by bears.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Great! Maybe Gemtech can convince Smith & Wesson to release a factory 4-4.5" threaded Victory now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great! Maybe Gemtech can convince Smith & Wesson to release a factory 4-4.5" threaded Victory now.
View Quote
Get out of my head.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Get out of my head.
View Quote
Only if you promise to help me get one of the first ones that come off the production line. 
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#21]
This seems like great news on both ends. S&W is as mainstream as it gets. Gemtech is the most innovative silencer company around in my opinion.

Less unobtanium (a few Gemtech products come to mind) and more products on shelves will be sweet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#22]
What does this mean for my old gemtech Halo?  Was wanting to get it recorded and refinished.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I am fine with another large manufacturer wanting to see and push for the hpa passing.  The more and the larger these companies are the more pressure that they can put on the nra, and legislators, lobbyists to try and push the hpa thru.  Good luck to both of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I just hope S&W doesn't do something stupid like move them to Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe S&W can get their new company's products legal for Massachusetts residents now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#26]
New Gemtech owners were bankers, guess they were looking for quick flip and got it.

As we saw from AAC purchase, SWR purchase, this will NOT be good.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
And take 5 lbs off the gun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a thinkin....

That SW knows something about the HPA we dont.....

My body is ready
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I would like to see a integral 15-22 & a integral barrel for the victory.  Or a Black Stainless victory with a 3" threaded barrel with NS.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm a thinkin....

View Quote
I think too many people think HPA is the answer to every question.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a thinkin....

So true
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a thinkin....

Don't harsh my mellow, man.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is the answer to "how do I get a lot of silencers sold reallllly quickly?" though. :)
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
New Gemtech owners were bankers, guess they were looking for quick flip and got it.

View Quote
I don't think it means anything on it's own. How did S&W treat TC after that purchase?

The Remington acquisitions all seemed to go pretty badly, even Remington themselves was a little worse, but that would have been more of the bankers buying Gem, not S&W.

I think S&W just saw that SIG, Ruger, Remington all had silencer divisions and buying was easier than setting up. The timing with the new facility seems odd, but perhaps S&W will use the new facility capacity for other things too, since Mass isn't the best place to expand I'd think.

So I wonder what's next, Beretta needs to buy someone?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I have not found any press releases from either GemTech or AOBC confirming this purchase.

AOBC didn't do too well in the market today, RGR did.

Is there anything out there besides the recoil announcement?

I am not saying that this news is incorrect, just that I can't seem to confirm it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have not found any press releases from either GemTech or AOBC confirming this purchase.

AOBC didn't do too well in the market today, RGR did.

Is there anything out there besides the recoil announcement?

I am not saying that this news is incorrect, just that I can't seem to confirm it.
View Quote
Confirmed with Gemtech.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So true
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a thinkin....

So true
Can either of you explain it from a consumer's perspective on why it's not great?

I don't give a shit about returned $200 of tax credits or anything. I want as close to cash and carry as we can get and maybe some new players in the market
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can either of you explain it from a consumer's perspective on why it's not great?
View Quote
S&W looked around at Ruger, Sig, etc, and decided they needed a silencer brand too, and gobbled up Gemtech. Smart move for them as IMO, Gemtech was the most undervalued, underappreciated silencer company in the industry. It was ripe. And I think this will be the trend. Gun companies see money in silencers, and want to jump in fast. Buying an existing company is a quick way.

Historically though, buyouts do nothing for the customer. There is less choice, and more cost. Typically the buyout business was gender neutral.  How will that effect products like MIST22, which goes on a competitors gun? And companies with silencer brands, tend to make stuff for their guns and let stuff for other guns, or generic stuff, fall off the R&D chart.

Sure, in the short term little will change. But over time, expect the current Gemtech lineup to be completely different. Get your classic cans (MK9K, Mossad, etc NOW).
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No one ever said that HPA wouldn't be great for anyone, just that the odds aren't in our favor. There is a 4% chance or less of it passing.
View Quote
Says the company that said ATF41F was dead, two weeks before it was passed. On the other hand, someone on this forum was telling folks ATF41F was a done deal, over a year earlier......

j/k
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Says the company that said ATF41F was dead, two weeks before it was passed. On the other hand, someone on this forum was telling folks ATF41F was a done deal, over a year earlier......

j/k
View Quote
Any other predictions you'd like to share? I'm budgeting my purchases out to 12/31/2017.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Any other predictions you'd like to share? I'm budgeting my purchases out to 12/31/2017.
View Quote
I think the ATF41F recession will result in companies focusing less on sales (right now we see a lot of promotions and other product dumping) and instead focusing & investing in more R&D, the results of which will start to show up in 2018. This is painful for the companies a we have seen with layoffs and such, but it will position the companies much better when things pick up, which I think will start in 2018, regardless of HPA. It is just a matter of how fast they can R&D new stuff. There are some companies with holes in their product line and this is a great time to R&D and fill them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anytime bankers/managers take the helm a company, everything devolves to just 'widgets' & numbers.  It'll eventually be gutted & consumed, then move on to the next big takeover.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Excellent, First Ruger, now S&W.... yes YES! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What does this mean for my old gemtech Halo?  Was wanting to get it recorded and refinished.
View Quote
S&W isn't perfect, but they'll mail your gun back and forth as many times as needed, even past the warranty period, to get it running right.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

S&W isn't perfect, but they'll mail your gun back and forth as many times as needed, even past the warranty period, to get it running right.
View Quote
Sorry, not my experience.

Maybe now s&w will warranty non-concentric threads..
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think the ATF41F recession will result in companies focusing less on sales (right now we see a lot of promotions and other product dumping) and instead focusing & investing in more R&D, the results of which will start to show up in 2018. This is painful for the companies a we have seen with layoffs and such, but it will position the companies much better when things pick up, which I think will start in 2018, regardless of HPA. It is just a matter of how fast they can R&D new stuff. There are some companies with holes in their product line and this is a great time to R&D and fill them.
View Quote
I think 2019 SHOT Show will be when we see new "R&D focused " suppressors. 2017 is the year for recovering from 41F, and then 2018 they will start to focus on R&D
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sorry, not my experience.

Maybe now s&w will warranty non-concentric threads..
View Quote
My experience with multiple pistols. I have one Pro Series 1911 that's gone back five times, and two others that have gone back. Plus I've been shipped many parts at no charge even though they were normal wear and tear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My experience with multiple pistols. I have one Pro Series 1911 that's gone back five times, and two others that have gone back. Plus I've been shipped many parts at no charge even though they were normal wear and tear.
View Quote
Truly wish i could say the same... end cap strike and paying 200 plus for a new barrel was my experience. I asked "can i at least get a guarantee the new barrel is concentric, or a commitment i dont have to buy a 3rd if its not?."  Nope, they dont do that.

Even after getting thru the normal csr, getting to the "gunsmith", he made the comment "we cant own suppressors, so how are we suppose to verify its right (he didnt use the word concentric)".

I learned the hard way and now my barrels go to adco.

Now, back to topic, im happy for the shareholders, sucks for customers. Consolidation is rarely better for the non-walmart type customer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top