Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This was suggested ~8years ago by silencer co.  At that time that was what they were doing and they probably have not changed.  They and some acoustical scientists they were paying through the ASA, made an argument for this in a meeting at shot show, and I initially had an aversion to change but later saw the lucid points in the argument of we are measuring change at a reference position and if we then change the position, we introduce a second variable that destroys the validity of our reference data by not being relative to the original reference position.

More recently TBAC has talked about supersonic flight noise and it seems this is another weakness of the 1m left of suppressor muzzle position.  

I think the method stabilizes measurement anomalies relative to geometries of suppressor muzzles slightly.  You still have cheater muzzles like the Sig SLX’s 1.1” deep cone, but thats a bazaar outlier.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is the front of the suppressor forward of the mic location, dissimilar to the bare muzzle device on the unsuppressed baselines?

This was suggested ~8years ago by silencer co.  At that time that was what they were doing and they probably have not changed.  They and some acoustical scientists they were paying through the ASA, made an argument for this in a meeting at shot show, and I initially had an aversion to change but later saw the lucid points in the argument of we are measuring change at a reference position and if we then change the position, we introduce a second variable that destroys the validity of our reference data by not being relative to the original reference position.

More recently TBAC has talked about supersonic flight noise and it seems this is another weakness of the 1m left of suppressor muzzle position.  

I think the method stabilizes measurement anomalies relative to geometries of suppressor muzzles slightly.  You still have cheater muzzles like the Sig SLX’s 1.1” deep cone, but thats a bazaar outlier.

Interesting
I really seem to recall @Zak-smith asking me to put the suppressor muzzle in line with the mics when we were testing.
Maybe I’m grasping at fractions of a decibel
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You can tell from this thread who is a fanboy of certain brands. Why don’t you look at the individual products?

I have suppressors from surefire, OSS, and rugged already. I care about the product not the name of the company
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kind of sad.

I think there's a ton of justifying certain expensive purchases and butthurt over potentially cheaper and lighter products performing better.

You can tell from this thread who is a fanboy of certain brands. Why don’t you look at the individual products?

I have suppressors from surefire, OSS, and rugged already. I care about the product not the name of the company

Own and SWR, Gemtech, or AAC cans that you can’t get serviced now? Or spare parts like a muzzle device for a cool new host?

Company matters more than a specific model IHMO
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Own and SWR, Gemtech, or AAC cans that you can’t get serviced now? Or spare parts like a muzzle device for a cool new host?

Company matters more than a specific model IHMO
View Quote

Warranty is an important consideration for any purchase; there's no arguing that. But if I had to choose, I'd take an excellent reliable product from a company that went under (like my Remington 870) rather than a terrible unreliable pile of junk from a company that's still around.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Warranty is an important consideration for any purchase; there's no arguing that. But if I had to choose, I'd take an excellent reliable product from a company that went under (like my Remington 870) rather than a terrible unreliable pile of junk from a company that's still around.
View Quote

And is there any middle ground in your argument?
Because the gray area is what we’re talking about here…
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We didn’t have any plans to do this currently.  It seems a bit odd to couple a heavier high durability can with a mount that could potentially loosen at some point.

Maybe Im in the minority with that opinion.  
View Quote

well, atleast for me, the question was more about the gate-lock mounting system

on that note, what all are y'all planning on offering with it? i was doing some math last night, and that explorr for example, buying everything separate gets pretty expensive
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We do 1m left/right of the suppressor muzzle which I believe is the straightforward reading of 1474D and like was said above, we just stick to it to keep data the same.

Moving the mic back 6-12 inches this position isn't going to change the domination of the supersonic shockwave over the single peak of the can, for quiet cans.  

Bottom line, the shockwave crack is louder than the muzzle report, for quiet cans, everywhere from the muzzle of can all the way back to the shooter's ear.  (on bolt guns obviously)

With the PULSE, it's easy to differentiate the different sound events so disambiguating shockwave vs. muzzle performance, action noise / port pop, is straightforward.
View Quote

Zak is presently the smartest guy in the room.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I regret buying the Griffin copy of an Octane 9 several years back. Wow.
View Quote

Now you did it; you're gonna get sued.

That said, I'm always suspicious of companies comparing their products to their competitors. While all the data may be factually correct, there are too many out there that outright lie and twist the testing or the results to favor their products. Even independent testing can be flawed in this manner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Explorr utility mount comes with the plan A and an EZ brake.  

We have dual lok cans around the corner here, they will have the mount built in.  We also have a tubeless gate lok can in the works.  

Next month a promo is running buy a Utility mount Explorr get $100 off a Dual Lok mount, or buy a Dual Lok silencer, get a second muzzle device free.
View Quote

any hard timeline? loose timeline?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Green0 might get the marketing department to get that added to their cans ASAP. Probably call it the C-Era Five.

View Quote

Don't you mean C-Era Fife?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Explorr utility mount comes with the plan A and an EZ brake.  

We have dual lok cans around the corner here, they will have the mount built in.  We also have a tubeless gate lok can in the works.  

Next month a promo is running buy a Utility mount Explorr get $100 off a Dual Lok mount, or buy a Dual Lok silencer, get a second muzzle device free.
View Quote

That tubeless gatelok has my attention.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think we're at 2-3 weeks on the Dual Lok cans (the Dual Lok 5 and 7) and another maybe 2-3 on Dual Lok PSR 5 and 7 (Over the barrel).  
I'm not in the marketing department, so I don't know the hard date, but there is a scheduled launch date- it is waiting on videos, another testing video, photography etc.  I believe the HRT's need assembly and paint.  

I'm not sure if they were going to do a promo release on that can or just sell it- I only got their OK on sales of the HRT today.

There will be FDE cans lagging 4 weeks behind those.  We have FDE PVD lock rings and we have the initial samples and those cans are pretty cool looking for whoever was wondering what cans will be available in FDE.
View Quote

how would you compare those D-L 5's to other cans in your line up re:construction/suppression/flash? rough price guess on them/HRT's?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That’s a fair point in regards to the warranty. But why did you highlight OSS? You think they are going out of business? They got multiple military and law enforcement contracts recently.
View Quote

From what I understand they have been sold/ bankrupt 2 times and on the 3rd set of owners. All in the span of less than a like 8 years. Not what I’d consider to be a stable company. And any company that touts .mil or Le contracts I don’t really pay them any attention. For one I have been issued items that were total shit a few times, just because we had it didn’t mean it was good. Secondly  what numbers are they being issues in a 5 man rural department?  or a several thousand man state agency?

Also it seems strange to me that companies will drop product lines/names or constantly change version of product in a very short life span. I guess one can look at it at 2 ways. They are always striving for better performance or they didn’t get it right the first time. I tend to fall in that second thought process.  

Seems like some companies will make a crummy product, then just change it a little bit call it something else and everyone is none the wiser. Then rinse and repeat when caught.

I want it right the first time and don’t want to spend my hard earned money as someone’s beta tester.

I’d say rugged, dead air, SiCo and a number of others are of the same thought process.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting
I really seem to recall @Zak-smith asking me to put the suppressor muzzle in line with the mics when we were testing.
Maybe I’m grasping at fractions of a decibel
View Quote

That’s how it’s always been done at the NFA talk metering events for years.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Recently I got an invite to show some products to a military procurement group.  All the feedback I got is that the user isn’t happy with weight, length, sound, or flash performance of the current suppressor which isn’t a terrible product.  

Thats not a lot of feedback because many of those items conflict.  So I am planning to show them 4 cans (2 each) from two different mount families.  

They haven’t actually narrowed it down to a set of characteristics that make it any more simple than that.

Solicitations like the FBI HRT solicitation create products where there was no need for a product.  They were running Socom RC2’s, which are actually 6.5” oal, but they needed a can to be 6.1” oal or less to be considered.  

So sometimes its not as simple as doing everything with one product.  Different requirements force different products to exist.

Most of my effort for two months and a lot of our production scheduling and testing has gone to support of that one opportunity.  It may amount to nothing but it’s impossible (or at least very unlikely) to expect something to materialize from zero effort.
View Quote

This is a serious question and not trying to be a ass hole or a got ya moment.

How many suppressors has GA sold to what we call the military (army, navy, AF, Marines, Coast Guard, dod ) as a whole over the span of y’all’s business life?

Are we taking hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands?

I had some dealing with KGmade about 4/5 years ago and Kyle said that that it was a booming market then to try and get in but never heard any real numbers. This was when he was a 2 man shop and before partnering with DA.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#22]
You want me to believe that the difference in the unsuppressed baseline between a 16" 5.56 and a 11.5" 5.56 is only 0.41 db (171.69 - 171.28 = .41)?  Am I reading that correctly?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From what I understand they have been sold/ bankrupt 2 times and on the 3rd set of owners. All in the span of less than a like 8 years. Not what I’d consider to be a stable company. And any company that touts .mil or Le contracts I don’t really pay them any attention. For one I have been issued items that were total shit a few times, just because we had it didn’t mean it was good. Secondly  what numbers are they being issues in a 5 man rural department?  or a several thousand man state agency?
View Quote

OSS was sold once and then was recently rebranded. No bankruptcies that I am aware of.

I am sure plenty of 5 man agencies use OSS cans.  But, so is the US Army on their SDMR rifles. They were picked up by the FBI on the largest LE suppressor contract in history. You know all this talk of the HRT suppressor from Griffin in this thread? HRT never used or had anything to do with the Griffin suppressor.  (The little things like this is why people have trust issues with Griffin) It was OSS that won that contract. So you may pay them no attention, but where is attention better deserved? The guy that talks about it, the guy that is about it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Now you did it; you're gonna get sued.
View Quote

Is there a backstory on this?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I understand the story. I also understand that the people that come here to read these things are a tiny percentage of customers and gun counter employees. Including people that would recognize the HRT monicker. So naming it that can still be deceptive IMO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OSS was sold once and then was recently rebranded. No bankruptcies that I am aware of.
View Quote

Just Google OSS and Bankruptcy.
Link

Also oss is no longer in business it’s Huxwrx now. Link to site.

I had no idea that oss won a contract with the FBI. Would still like to know how many units it was. If they won that contract as OSS why did they rebrand/file bankruptcy? Seems somewhat odd especially if it was the “largest suppressor contract in history”. You would think that a company would hang there hat on that.

Just a FYI there is a lot of OSS hate here on this site. First Gen cans rightfully so.

I met the owners of the second version of oss and they were good people. They had their products at a large suppressor YT shoot I attended. I got to demo there products and they were built well and looked nice. They were the loudest center fire rifles cans on the line tho and heavy.

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
@green0 any comment on GA .mil sales in my above post?

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Griffin has never historically sued anyone.  AAC did sue a user on here and I understand how sometimes a company has a reason to stop damaging false statements, but this is just more conversation from people who don’t appreciate comparative testing of products.  

I think its easy for people to forget that companies represent possibly 40 or more dedicated people working hard to make a brighter future for themselves and their families.  The companies do have to look out for whats best for their tens of thousands of customers and for their employees and for their employees families.  

Its not as simple as it looks with regard to things like litigation.  When people get sued things get complicated quickly and it begins to be pages of evidence vs pages of evidence and very convoluted paths to understanding both sides of something.
View Quote

You know he’s talking about when you threatened to sue Dugan Ashley the disabled vet for showing similarities between KAC and your silencers. Pretending all the past  choices you’ve made never happened might be why (or one reason) people continue to doubt you.

Coincidently, there’s more than one or two events in your companies history people take issue with.

How do you determine a companies character?

All anyone needs to do is a simple google search and it all comes up…
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just Google OSS and Bankruptcy.
Link

Also oss is no longer in business it’s Huxwrx now. Link to site.

I had no idea that oss won a contract with the FBI. Would still like to know how many units it was. If they won that contract as OSS why did they rebrand/file bankruptcy? Seems somewhat odd especially if it was the “largest suppressor contract in history”. You would think that a company would hang there hat on that.

Just a FYI there is a lot of OSS hate here on this site. First Gen cans rightfully so.

I met the owners of the second version of oss and they were good people. They had their products at a large suppressor YT shoot I attended. I got to demo there products and they were built well and looked nice. They were the loudest center fire rifles cans on the line tho and heavy.

View Quote

Interesting on the Bankruptcy.  I hadn’t seen that. No idea why they rebranded.  I thought it was a mistake when they were finally building a name for themselves. The whole thing made me call into question their current leadership.  

Here is their presser on the FBI contract.  Soldier systems

@Green0,

I just saw a picture of what is obviously a Griffin suppressor with what appeared to be radial venting around the edge of the front cap. Care to talk about that one or saving it for later? Had my interests.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You know he’s talking about when you threatened to sue Dugan Ashley the disabled vet for showing similarities between KAC and your silencers. Pretending all the past  choices you’ve made never happened might be why (or one reason) people continue to doubt you.

Coincidently, there’s more than one or two events in your companies history people take issue with.

View Quote

Sort of like how it's an interesting coincidence the only hit this turned up that wasn't a tumblr quote was a small business based in Oregon with a Facebook post linking to a defunct blog? Would you happen to be the owner of that business? Is any of this related to his testing method, or just casting shadows over a topic that should be straightforward and objective?

The passive aggressive drivebys are derailing the thread from the material Green0 is posting which is relevant to people making decisions about the items. Attack his method or his product, but lord, some Instagram spat from 7 years ago?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sort of like how it's an interesting coincidence the only hit this turned up that wasn't a tumblr quote was a small business based in Oregon with a Facebook post linking to a defunct blog? Would you happen to be the owner of that business? Is any of this related to his testing method, or just casting shadows over a topic that should be straightforward and objective?

The passive aggressive drivebys are derailing the thread from the material Green0 is posting which is relevant to people making decisions about the items. Attack his method or his product, but lord, some Instagram spat from 7 years ago?
View Quote

Definitely a coincidence and not me. (Gota live somewhere.)

It’s all out there, your googlefoo is weak.

I was just answering a question someone posted in this thread.

Green0 will acknowledge all the Dugan stuff. It happened. Same with the “front towards Arab” stuff.

You can’t take that stuff back.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did someone at Griffin kick your dog? You seem to be taking this personally.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did someone at Griffin kick your dog? You seem to be taking this personally.
View Quote

Not at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Green0 will acknowledge all the Dugan stuff. It happened. Same with the “front towards Arab” stuff.

View Quote

Not when people keep resurrecting it
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

what was that? sounds interesting
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If my company pays a welder welding manually with TIG, who is trained and has executed properly welded cores, and he skips a weld, or his weld is poorly laid down and fails, that's the fault of the welder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If my company pays a welder welding manually with TIG, who is trained and has executed properly welded cores, and he skips a weld, or his weld is poorly laid down and fails, that's the fault of the welder.

if its got your company's name on it and you let it go to a dealer/distributor (due to poor QA), that's on you; not the welder you contracted for.

Quoted:
When we first had it made, the sales guys were thinking that the can would mean more to LE customers if it was special product, only available to law enforcement.  

I have no plans to purchase any of your cans, this isn't helping or a good look.

thanks for the video, but I'm still going to buy a Sierra 5.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, wtf, I love Griffin even more now.
Silencer people are so sensitive, holy shit
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have no plans to purchase any of your cans, this isn't helping or a good look.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When we first had it made, the sales guys were thinking that the can would mean more to LE customers if it was special product, only available to law enforcement.  

i mean, i like my 'm4' lower that was def never going on a govt gun.

to me if they designed something in response to a specific solicitation it makes sense to name it as such, and 'HRT' works alot better as a name than 'Potential govt contract can'. seems folks who buy suppressors do a good bit of reading/comparison beforehand, i don't think anyone's guna be misled. I'm still looking around for my first one and I haven't been, which seems a relevant case when considering inexperienced buyers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like the Sierra 5 is a decent first attempt, so rest easy.

Quoted:
I want it right the first time and don’t want to spend my hard earned money as someone’s beta tester.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google it then, definitely doesn’t belong here in tech like half the crap being brought up in this thread.  The same haters always come out to play.  I remember an AAC hater/SF suppressor fanboy back in the day got banned for such behavior on this forum
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#45]
The HRT name being deceiving is grasping at straws. It looks like it may perform really, really well. Which is what I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Google it then, definitely doesn’t belong here in tech like half the crap being brought up in this thread.  The same haters always come out to play.  I remember an AAC hater/SF suppressor fanboy back in the day got banned for such behavior on this forum
View Quote

lol, yah i was being a bit tongue in cheek since the whole thing seemed fairly self explanatory, meant it as a subtle pat on the back to @Green0 for doing the lords work
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We want educated customers.
View Quote

on that note and to get back on topic, how does that tubeless explorr rate in terms of durability with spirited semi-auto fire? like say you've got a 3-gun stage that runs through 10 mags, does it survive?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I know, wtf, I love Griffin even more now.
Silencer people are so sensitive, holy shit
View Quote

Exactly.  It turns out there are a lot of adults here that prefer discussing drama and feels over technical and performance details...  in a tech forum.  If the paper specs and testing numbers of the Explorr 224 (taper or HUB) shake out to be a reality then we will have a ~9 oz (taper) 5.56 can that is also quieter on an AR than almost everything else out there while still being constructed of 17-4 stainless.  Seriously, what about that is not amazing?  Reports from at least one guy that has tested it against the Sierra 5 and Recce 5 seem to corroborate this.  Even Adam on the NFA Review Channel couldn't hardly find anything to not like about the Explorr cans.  I'm cautiously optimistic and can't wait for mine to get out of jail so I can test it against my Recce 5, Nomad 30, Turbo K, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The tubeless cans don't have as excellent of muzzle flash characteristics as the tube over cans, so the flash suppressor design because more important.
View Quote

This is interesting. Can you expound on this a bit? Is this a general statement? Or is it specific to Griffin’s offerings?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top