Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool that they have a Galil that can take AR mags... but why would anyone want one over an AR15 or Tavor?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool that they have a Galil that can take AR mags... but why would anyone want one over an AR15 or Tavor?
View Quote

Arguably the best 7.62x39 AK variant available?

Other than that not much.

Why the hand guard is so short is beyond me. One of its weak points but I'm sure after market options will address that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#3]
RS regulate is already working on a keymod rail. The one shown in the pics are the long version, there is also a shorter handguard.

The 7.62x39 ace competes with AKs rather than ARs. No other AKs on the market has the features of Ace at that price. The 7.62x39 and .308 galil ace really offers alot of value and features for rifles in those calibers. However I could see how you can compare an AR to the Ace in 5.56 and I'd probably prefer an AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok now that's a sweet looking rifle!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gotcha....just did my due diligence after posting, imagine that?

Anyway, it does look like a well made gun...though I much prefer the look of the previous Galil's....this looks like a 7.62x39 worth owning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems IWI is doing what SIG did when they introduced the 556.

The American market wants the originals.....not some Americanized variation.

I'm sure they're likely good guns......but count me out for now.

The Galil Ace is nothing like a SIG 556. The galil ace that we're getting is almost identical to the models that have been adopted and used by many militaries across the world.

The SIG 556 is a bastardized POS that SIG made to pimp out the great reputation of the Swiss 55x.

Gotcha....just did my due diligence after posting, imagine that?

Anyway, it does look like a well made gun...though I much prefer the look of the previous Galil's....this looks like a 7.62x39 worth owning.

As mentioned, the SIG was different. A special, cheaper product made for civilians. Even with the 551A1 there were a lot of changes that seemed to have been done for no apparent reason like the sights and handguards. The ACE is the actual product IWI sells to other countries; meaning it is quality. I would like an original Galil but IWI does not make them anymore. Our best bet is to hope South Africa starts to export them. BTW, if you want a "classic" Galil then you don't want it in 7.62x39. That is a new option for the ACE. The originals were not in that caliber.

Also thinking the price is too high. $1800? I think it will settle down to $1600 or so, but I was hoping it would be closer to $1200 street price. As others have mentioned, a lot of poorer countries are buying them so they can't be that pricey. Vietnam is buying a lot of them, and India will probably buy a few million of them. You'd think that would bring down the price a bit. Economy of scale and all that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Do want, but not at that price.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Every time one of these sweet foreign guns come up, I have to ask what all they really offer over my AR's or others.

Answer is usually nothing much more than cool/fun factor. Watching for the Radom MSBS. Should be everything the SCAR, ACR, ARX, etc; were all supposed to be.

But time will tell. And it's not here yet.

Galil ACE? Not in 7.62x39. Only reason to get it would be you're a fan of Galil's or AK's. I'm not stuck on those guns. If I was stuck on Galil's, I'd want an ACE in 5.56. Would it be better than an AR for me? Again, no, I don't see any real benefit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every time one of these sweet foreign guns come up, I have to ask what all they really offer over my AR's or others.

Answer is usually nothing much more than cool/fun factor. Watching for the Radom MSBS. Should be everything the SCAR, ACR, ARX, etc; were all supposed to be.

Galil ACE? Not in 7.62x39. Only reason to get it would be you're a fan of Galil's or AK's. I'm not stuck on those guns. If I was stuck on Galil's, I'd want an ACE in 5.56. Would it be better than an AR for me? Again, no, I don't see any real benefit.
View Quote

I'm sorta here. I have three ar-15's and a decent AK , I look at accuracy, weights, sizes, and options and the Galil just doesn't offer me anything tangible over what I have. Don't get me wrong I like the Galil and im glad its coming to the USA as another gun option. But the thing costs more than my most decked out AR(minus the optic) and more than a nice AK with an Aimpoint and a RS mount. If i'm going to shell out $1800 it better be something like the X95 for me.

I am mildly interested in the .308 Galil but it will have to offer more than a Vepr that is half its cost.  The price is playing with the big boys and if aftermarket comes out for it(triggers, rails and etc.) Its gonna be a really hefty price to pay for a x39 weapon, and with how import bans go I don't want that kinda money tied up in a non-domestic cartridge. Its very cool but I'm not going to pay almost $2,000 for a gun that fires x39. at most likely 3-4 moa.

What i hope though is that it sells well and the money they make goes into bringing the X95 to my mom's basement.    

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Interested in an overpriced ak with an ar stock? Nope, but the x95 has my attention!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sorta here. I have three ar-15's and a decent AK , I look at accuracy, weights, sizes, and options and the Galil just doesn't offer me anything tangible over what I have. Don't get me wrong I like the Galil and im glad its coming to the USA as another gun option. But the thing costs more than my most decked out AR(minus the optic) and more than a nice AK with an Aimpoint and a RS mount. If i'm going to shell out $1800 it better be something like the X95 for me.

I am mildly interested in the .308 Galil but it will have to offer more than a Vepr that is half its cost.  The price is playing with the big boys and if aftermarket comes out for it(triggers, rails and etc.) Its gonna be a really hefty price to pay for a x39 weapon, and with how import bans go I don't want that kinda money tied up in a non-domestic cartridge. Its very cool but I'm not going to pay almost $2,000 for a gun that fires x39. at most likely 3-4 moa.

What i hope though is that it sells well and the money they make goes into bringing the X95 to my mom's basement.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO. I caught your joke.

Even on the 308 Galil... Recently a buddy and I have been looking around at all the 308 battle rifles available these days. PTR's, DSA FAL's, M1A's, Veprs, etc. Each time I look it seems it's expensive to make it modular, mount optics, etc.

I've had two experiences weigh heavily in my mind since having them, gun-wise. I fired a select fire MP5A3 once. The bolt was so noticeably a big hunk of steel moving back and forth. Totally 60's tech. I don't want one, even in 40SW or 10mm, anymore. The next thing, I still own a PSL54c. It's setup as an SDM type weapon, yet really still an AK at heart. There's really no recovering from that.

So, even for 308win battle rifles, I'd have to choose a quality 308 AR. Almost the only way to get a modern fighting rifle in 308win and have it actually excel at the role.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 7.62x39 ace competes with AKs rather than ARs. No other AKs on the market has the features of Ace at that price. The 7.62x39 and .308 galil ace really offers alot of value and features for rifles in those calibers. However I could see how you can compare an AR to the Ace in 5.56 and I'd probably prefer an AR.
View Quote

There are almost no AKs at that price, period.  Most are much cheaper.  About the only thing that approaches it for features and price is the SIG 556xi, and even that's cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Interested? maybe
I don't own an AK currently, I prefer the AR and also like standardizing on one small caliber and magazine design. That being said I've shot a friends Russian AK74 that has been blessed by Rifle Dynamics and its damn nice. I've also shot his Waffen Werks Ak74 and while reliable, it sucks to use. So basically I'm ruined on the AK platform, it's either no AK or a Rifle Dynamics grade for me. If the Ace is as good as it looks, it's a deal for the price (which hopefully settles down as other have stated).
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
lol. No.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm watching it with a small level of interest because I like 7.62x39 semi autos, but $1400-$1500 is going to be too much for me for what it offers.  It's a design from the 1970s, updated using plastic and modern manufacturing techniques.  I don't expect economy of scale, commoditized pricing of the AR15, but I believe they are mispricing it.  They'll sell some to collectors, but it'll be a dog until it comes down to $1200 or so.

**Disclaimer for the "you're just too cheap" crowd: I have plenty of rifles that cost more than the estimated price of the Galil.  I'm not shy about spending the money for something when I see the value.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm watching it with a small level of interest because I like 7.62x39 semi autos, but $1400-$1500 is going to be too much for me for what it offers. It's a design from the 1970s, updated using plastic and modern manufacturing techniques.  I don't expect economy of scale, commoditized pricing of the AR15, but I believe they are mispricing it.  They'll sell some to collectors, but it'll be a dog until it comes down to $1200 or so.

**Disclaimer for the "you're just too cheap" crowd: I have plenty of rifles that cost more than the estimated price of the Galil.  I'm not shy about spending the money for something when I see the value.
View Quote

And ARs are older. But I do agree, they need to bring the price down. $1200-1300 would be more ideal. I would hope they also sell some with the traditional magazine for those that want 35 rounders & a traditional Galil feel, but if they're going to be $1500-1600 then those won't sell. But I am much more interested in the 5.56 versions (either) than the 7.62x39 ones.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
This will likely be my next tax return purchase. I need a really nice 7.62x39. This is just the ticket
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And ARs are older. But I do agree, they need to bring the price down. $1200-1300 would be more ideal. I would hope they also sell some with the traditional magazine for those that want 35 rounders & a traditional Galil feel, but if they're going to be $1500-1600 then those won't sell. But I am much more interested in the 5.56 versions (either) than the 7.62x39 ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm watching it with a small level of interest because I like 7.62x39 semi autos, but $1400-$1500 is going to be too much for me for what it offers. It's a design from the 1970s, updated using plastic and modern manufacturing techniques.  I don't expect economy of scale, commoditized pricing of the AR15, but I believe they are mispricing it.  They'll sell some to collectors, but it'll be a dog until it comes down to $1200 or so.

That's only 200-300 more than a Arsenal SLR107, much more reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
If an Arsenal can sell at $1k, figure the top of the market for the ACE is $1500 for uniqueness, features and quality.

I can't get excited on SBR'ing an AK due to the limited optics mounting options.   Maybe I could SBR an ACE.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If an Arsenal can sell at $1k
View Quote

I've seen Arsenals going for $1200-$1300, depending on the model. The AK market does not function like the AR market, for whatever reason... people seem to be willing to pay more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
No massive improvements from what i can see. I still dont like the idea of havind a sight mounted on a removable rail. I will wait until the M$M M10x comes out and do a hands on comparison.

This rifle has the ergonomic improvements (for around $1275) i wanted to see while still maintaining the base AK genetics
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No massive improvements from what i can see. I still dont like the idea of havind a sight mounted on a removable rail. I will wait until the M$M M10x comes out and do a hands on comparison.
View Quote

Front sight is mounted on gas block; rear on the receiver top cover, along with the rear section of the 2-piece rail.

I'm on the fence about having a rail mounted on gas tube.  Other than that, it looks good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm looking forward to the Galil Ace. It reminds me of the Sako rk95 that I got to shoot when I visited Finland.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://cdn.net.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/01/outdoorhub-mm-inc-rethinks-kalashnikov-m10x-2015-01-26_23-12-25.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b257/Sure1Shot/Mobile%20Uploads/951CF7E6-3BD7-440B-88EB-822B67BB48C5.jpg
This rifle has the ergonomic improvements (for around $1275) i wanted to see while still maintaining the base AK genetics
View Quote

reading their site and the terminology they use, i do not have 100% confidence in their design
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem with the Galil ACE is that it's ugly.  I wouldn't want to be in the business of trying to sell them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The problem with the Galil ACE is that it's ugly.  I wouldn't want to be in the business of trying to sell them.
View Quote

To each his own.  I think it's looks are very pleasing to eye because they are functional.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't buy guns because they are pretty
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I would like the .308 version to take M-14 magazines.  I have M-14 magazines.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me neither.  I've owned some ugly ducklings.  Other people care though and that is going to hurt sales.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
When is the ACE supposed to become available?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It just has the wrong stock on it.  Keep the damn AR stocks off AKs and other variants!  Hoping people will be able to get the one as shown below.  I'm possibly interested in doing a SBR.

http://cms.kienthuc.net.vn/zoomh/500/uploaded/lenam/2014_12_24/thanh%20tuu/thanh-tuu-cong-nghiep-quoc-phong-viet-nam-dinh-nhat-nam-2014_4_uast.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just has the wrong stock on it.  Keep the damn AR stocks off AKs and other variants!  Hoping people will be able to get the one as shown below.  I'm possibly interested in doing a SBR.

http://cms.kienthuc.net.vn/zoomh/500/uploaded/lenam/2014_12_24/thanh%20tuu/thanh-tuu-cong-nghiep-quoc-phong-viet-nam-dinh-nhat-nam-2014_4_uast.jpg

Those definitely are more sexy. If they don't give the option in the future, I believe the hinge mechanism is the same with the original, just find yourself an old stock and go to town. Besides, what would you rather buttstroke someone with?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish Atlantic would chime in, I need an AK to SBR
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I just bought a pre ban Action Arms Galil and and ARS Galil clone.

I don't have any interest in the new one, but I would buy another original one if IWI started making them here in the US
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
meh, i want an ambi safety AK with a proper rail and the charging handle on the left side
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#37]
patiently waiting to see these hit the streets, hopefully sooner than later.....
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When is the ACE supposed to become available?
View Quote

Last month.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#39]
At this point, I am already looking at alternatives such as the AK Mutant.

Max
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Max
View Quote

Same, really wish there was an ambi safety mod for arsenal 100 series
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Max
View Quote

I looked at those. If I didn't have several thousand rounds of corrosive Yugo M67 ID be more interested. But I'd expect the corrosive salts to eat the gas block on the Mutant, and maybe the BCG.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't have any interest in the new one, but I would buy another original one if IWI started making them here in the US
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats! I wish they would crank those out again. Wish I would have bought several more. Not to hijack but can I ask what you paid?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#43]
In 7.62x39 - No

In 5.56x45 (Like a "real" Galil) - Absolutely
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#44]
As a long time IMI Galil aficionado and collector,
It's good to see IMI finally able to bring a weapon into the country built around the basis of the original Micro Galil receiver,
with a more modern,"modular", layout.

That being said, the execution looks like hammered dog shit, and why in the hell in 7.62x39???

.....And of course, It's just not this:

Or this:

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's good to see IMI finally able to bring a weapon into the country built around the basis of the original Micro Galil receiver,

That being said, the execution looks like hammered dog shit, and why in the hell in 7.62x39???

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IronBalaclava/media/DSC02251_zpsfgzg3qbb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC02251_zpsfgzg3qbb.jpg</a>

Or this:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IronBalaclava/media/DSC01141regGOOD.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC01141regGOOD.jpg</a>

View Quote

If they brought these back I would be in for one....the modernized one, not so much. They have the tavor as their state of the art whiz bang gun, why not make the Galil for us traditionalists?
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Those are some nice Galil pics man
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IronBalaclava/media/DSC02251_zpsfgzg3qbb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC02251_zpsfgzg3qbb.jpg</a>

Or this:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IronBalaclava/media/DSC01141regGOOD.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC01141regGOOD.jpg</a>

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC02251_zpsfgzg3qbb.jpg

Or this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/IronBalaclava/DSC01141regGOOD.jpg

View Quote

Now those are what Galil's should look like.

Beautiful guns.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If they brought these back I would be in for one....the modernized one, not so much. They have the tavor as their state of the art whiz bang gun, why not make the Galil for us traditionalists?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or this:

They don't make them anymore. The Galil is selling better than the Tavor apparently. I don't mind because unlike the SIG-556 series, this is the actual IWI product and not an Americanized/cheapened version. But an original would certainly be nice. As for 5.56 I'd assume those are coming eventually. Vietnam actually did buy the ACE in 7.62x39, so technically it is used by a military to. I'm sure most kinks with it was worked out by now.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I would love to have a micro.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#50]
What's the deal with the Galil ACE?  Has it been released yet?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top