Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if Clear RTV Silicone can be used on the SG knobs/selectors w/o f'ing anything up? Don't they also make a liquid based waterproofer for electronics - like a dip? Wonder how that would work? You would think if it was potted, moisture wouldn't hurt it? Ah well - wait for the IRIS and put that on the Call of Duty gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The real question is where is the water penetrating into the unit. If it’s getting in through the switches I don’t see an easy fix. If it’s getting through the seams of the body there’s no reason they couldn’t be super glued.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 135Patriots:
I stopped going down the Somo road awhile back but the NGAL seems interesting on paper.

I've done some glossing over the last 10 pages or so and the consensus seems to be a lack of consensus...Is that fair to say? Do we think these are more or less good to go (with normal clone laser caveats)?
View Quote

I've been reading every review and watching every scrap of content that I can on the Somogear NGALs.  

My conclusion is that the issues are the following:

(A)  The unit does not have a proper stock diffuser for the aiming laser so the aiming laser blooms far too large to provide a precise aiming point for use at close distances.  

(B)  Somogear didn't clone the L3 mount 1:1 and as a consequence it doesn't have the recoil lugs. I've seen a few reports now that there are some picatinny rails that don't work well with it and allow for too much play and not a positive enough lock-up/mount.  

(C)  The reports I've seen consistently say that it's not water tight.  

Given that both the Zbolt ACAL and the Holosun IRIS are anticipated to release this year I'm holding off spending money on a Somogear as I budget for ammunition, which is insanely expensive this year.   I currently have a Steiner DBAL A3 and that's my go-to until I can get some reviews in of the ZBolt and Holosun to see which of those two I should purchase (I'm leaning towards the more expensive American made ACAL, but I want to see some reviews first).  

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:18:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#4]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:I'm pretty much sold that now, real world, LAMs will get you killed unless it's a really niche situation.
View Quote

Particularly anything 850nm.  Best practice is everything is passive, no emitters of any type.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Diz:
So what did I miss?  You guys find NGAL filters for sale?  I only have the PEQ ones.  

On airsoft/milsim lasers.  Well, it can be a crap shoot.  I have the SG PEQ-15, and NGAL, and the IS NGAL.  SG has had it's problems, but darned if they don't keep improving as they go.  IS is totally legit but hard to get.  Although he also PLANS on improving.  For just general training purposes (including airsoft), the SG PEQ-15 is a low cost alternative to crazy expensive LAMs.  The SG NGAL is even better in laser performance, but may crap out in rainy weather.  The IS NGAL especially the EG model (non-VCSEL) would be a solid choice IF they improve build rate and ship times.  

So for me. I have other lasers in reserve, while I train and bang with the airsoft models.  

64 dollar question time.  Would I depend on them for real world use.  The IS NGAL: yes.  The SG NGAL: yes, with reservations.  The SG: PEQ-15: not unless necessary.  The IS NGAL-EG: Probably but have to test (if he gets his shit together).

As always and forever, YMMV.
View Quote

You can backorder the NGAL filters from TNVC via their L3HARRIS SPARES PROGRAM NGAL
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit must have missed that one.  Thanks brother!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ngal just showed up thanks to another member here. Supposedly late 2023 Dom.

Only point of reference I have is my buddies old, totally busted SG PEQ and the not busted but long since sold warranty item he let me mess around with.

Judging purely off external build quality (huge caveat!!) This is a totally different level of quality. In the context of airsoft toys I'm genuinely impressed. No idea if it'll hold up and don't really care given what I paid. It's cool.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Somogear or Invisible Sight?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Somogear or Invisible Sight?
View Quote

Somogear off the EE.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Only point of reference I have is my buddies old, totally busted SG PEQ and the not busted but long since sold warranty item he let me mess around with.

Judging purely off external build quality (huge caveat!!) This is a totally different level of quality. In the context of airsoft toys I'm genuinely impressed. No idea if it'll hold up and don't really care given what I paid. It's cool.
View Quote

You footing the LAM bill for your entire crew?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

You footing the LAM bill for your entire crew?
View Quote
I'm fairly committed to the mawl but no harm in goofing around with other kit . I'm no laser elitist.

Thanks again for the Perst good sir
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Just an observation for a Sunday Morning.  I have been goofing with chinese copies of our shit for many years.  Starting with a chinese "M1A" rifle way back when.  As much as you might think under communism, it isn't some monolithic manufacturing system, with even results across the board.  I think in some areas they are pretty good; in others they (still) really suck. The irony here is that this sort of centralized gov't system really sucks at making anything good with any consistency, as we are going to quickly find out.  

We've seen these new copies of NV systems coming out recently, and it would appear they still have a long way to go.  It would also appear they are farther along the road with these LAMs, although we've also seen how their uneven QC bites them in the ass.  And their uneven progress in different areas.  For instance, their polymers are steadily improving, yet their hardware, such as simple screws, is shit.  Don't know why that is but suspect it's design by committee that's killing them here.  

They also seem to have a problem with rampant corruption, which again is amusing in a supposedly "perfect" system.  Just ask any millennial.  

But the pricing is there because our own system cannot seem to get the technology down to us commoners, so here we are.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:48:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#13]
For those with an older gen InvisibleSight NGAL, it appears that he will be offering a free upgrading service, to get to the MK4 standard: https://www.foundindustries.com/product-page/free-upgrade-service-for-invisiblesight-ngal-mk3-or-older-to-mk4

Curious as to how long that'd take; pretty bold thing to talk about, given how slow new units are shipping out, but if he makes good on it, it's a really nice gesture. Maybe trying to generate good will for his future clones?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh man, I'd wait til he is a sure thing before doing that.  He is big on good intentions, but so far has not followed through.  I'm pulling for the guy but he has to deliver, literally.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Yeet-Cannon:
I bet TNVC gets pissed off I acquired brand new in the bag 12/2022 production full power PEQ-15s, despite not being able to get them via "normal" means.

Would probably report the dealer that hooked me up to the FDA and L3.

TNVC- absolutely nobody outside of this site truly believes you didn't whine to the mods or site staff.

I don't believe in "coincidence". Especially since we have articulable facts and circumstances that would lead a reasonable person to come to a fact-backed conclusion that you indeed, were more likely than not behind it in *some* way.

I don't believe you. Nor do I care that you don't care we don't believe you.

When you make pot-shots about "authentic" products in multiple threads, and suddenly a 15 month old thread gets shut down after you made those little jabs, what are people supposed to think?

I also think your company is less than honest about going-ons having to do with this site, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were behind Nocturnality Gear getting banned last year either, despite him not advertising here.

We already know your company is classless based on the BS between yourselves and Robert at JRH.

Your company cannot stand competition, and companies like Steele Industries, Goonin Gear, Licentia Arms, Apollo Gear, etc are making you irrelevant with every passing week, to anyone who actually does their research.

The only reason I'd imagine your company is alive at this point, is due to MIL and LE contracts....and IMHO, it shows.

The ass-dragging you're getting on reddit and elsewhere, is absolutely warranted. Because nobody believes you except the people here who are giving you the benefit of the doubt, despite evidence to the contrary based on posts made by company representatives.
View Quote

This post probably saved this thread's life (still going strong 10 months later). thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#16]
Oh man, I'd wait til he is a sure thing before doing that.  He is big on good intentions, but so far has not followed through.  I'm pulling for the guy but he has to deliver, literally.
View Quote
As a data point, when I purchased from him in early December 2023, he was quoting 12 weeks. When I reached out to him in early March 2024, he guessed early April. This week, he said:

Sorry for the delay caused.
The production is doing great, just a bit slow.
The transition to the new workshop went very smooth.
I'm expecting yours to not delay a lot, the upscaling will catch up a bit of time.
All orders are shipped based on the ordering date.
Your order, I'm aiming to get it shipped in the next batch in May.

Fingers crossed it does get shipped in May, but I'm not particularly hopeful, though I'm also not in any hurry and anticipated multiple schedule slips based on the conversation here, and am happy to keep waiting for now.

I'll also note that the website currently only shows NGALs as possible options: the upgrade to the Mk4, the standard Mk4, and the ES NGAL. Perhaps that will help streamline production.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
As a data point, when I purchased from him in early December 2023, he was quoting 12 weeks. When I reached out to him in early March 2024, he guessed early April. This week, he said:

I'm expecting yours to not delay a lot, the upscaling will catch up a bit of time.

Fingers crossed it does get shipped in May, but I'm not particularly hopeful, though I'm also not in any hurry and anticipated multiple schedule slips based on the conversation here, and am happy to keep waiting for now.

I'll also note that the website currently only shows NGALs as possible options: the upgrade to the Mk4, the standard Mk4, and the ES NGAL. Perhaps that will help streamline production.
View Quote

Hopefully my MK4 will be in the same batch as yours. My order was placed mid December 2023.

I also ordered one of the new user configurable IS-EG models in mid March 2024. It said they have an 8 to 16 week lead time when I ordered it. So I'm hopeful for a late May to early June delivery. 🤞🤞
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:

View Quote

I ordered in early December as well and I also followed up with him earlier this week. He sent me nearly the same email that he sent you, so a canned response.

Hi, Sorry for the delay caused. The production is doing great, just a bit slow. The transition to the new workshop went very smooth. Because of the up-scaling project, hired more people. The production will be starting to take off in April. As the employees are preparing the not critical parts for me. I do the critical parts of the build like the laser alignment, calibration lenses and final assembly. The production is based on batches. I'm expecting yours to not delay a lot, the upscaling will catch up a bit of time. I'm targeting to get yours shipping by the end of April to early May. Sorry again for the delay caused. I really need to make sure the unit is the best quality, rivaling the L3. Thanks jx
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Well guys, based on his track record, he might not get these items to you until deep autumn, but I hope he gets his shit together and it's a lot sooner than that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Well guys, based on his track record, he might not get these items to you until deep autumn, but I hope he gets his shit together and it's a lot sooner than that.
View Quote

I have a feeling you are correct, but am hopeful we are both wrong. I did know about his promises and failed time frames tho when I placed the order. I feel like as long as I get the ordered products eventually, the price paid for the advertised power and durability it worth the wait.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah that's true; it's just today folks aren't as patient as they used to be.  To get custom made stuff like this we used to wait a year or more.  But now they are so many more people into this stuff (or we're just much more connected) that faster customer service is expected.  I'm not sure what this guy's expectations were when he first advertised these things but I bet he had no idea of the size of the US market, even for an extremely specialized product such as this.  I think he got quickly overwhelmed.  Then it's like do you quit your day job and go into this full time, and do you have the wherewithal to do so.  

It would appear that he has done just that and is now trying to make a go of it.  So I hope you guys have much less time to wait for them than we did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Still waiting on my order for the IS EG model ngal that I made back in December. He told me last month he was going to get production sped up in this month time frame but somehow I don't believe him.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Innawoods_larper:
Still waiting on my order for the IS EG model ngal that I made back in December. He told me last month he was going to get production sped up in this month time frame but somehow I don't believe him.
View Quote

Never believe them. Tell them you're going to cancel and want a refund.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#24]
For those of you with a Somogear NGAL, what rail do you have it mounted to and is there any back and forth or up and down play when it's mounted?

4MR Ranch guy on YouTube has a video showing it having some play on a BCM KMR15 rail.  I have two BCM MCR15 rails and so I'm guessing I'd have the same issue.

The Somogear NGAL Pushes On…
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Tight AF on an Aero Enhanced MLOK Rail.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joshthemedic] [#26]
I mounted mine on a Adams Arms branded Samson handguard on my AR10 when I first got it. I had the same problem, it would never tighten up enough to fully clamp on the rail. I ended up putting some shim stock in between the inside rail grabber and the handguard rail. It took all of the play out and fit perfectly. I tested it several times by zeroing it, removing it and re-verifying zero. It was spot on every time. I ended up swapping the handguard on that rifle out for a newer one that Adams Arms make themselves. I was able to remove the shim stock and the Somo NGAL clamped down just fine and was perfectly tight.

On a side note, I have test fit the Somo NGAL to my Midwest Industries and Seekins handguards and all of them fit perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
For those of you with a Somogear NGAL, what rail do you have it mounted to and is there any back and forth or up and down play when it's mounted?

4MR Ranch guy on YouTube has a video showing it having some play on a BCM KMR15 rail.  I have two BCM MCR15 rails and so I'm guessing I'd have the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvcJdGnpn9s
View Quote

HAO replica of Geissele MK16 SMR with no play.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Mine is on a PRI Mod H upper carbon fiber tube. Doesn't seem to have shifted zero on me so far.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

No play on a DD RIS2, do see it on the madbull airsoft version of the same rail
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd also advise to make sure that the black, trapezoidal, clamping plate is *perfectly* straight when tightening - it can turn, and induce a weak clamping situation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#31]

View Quote

No movement on my MI mlok rail. (Don’t recall the exact model of the MI rail)

As mentioned above, make sure the mount is aligned prior to final tightening.
Page / 17
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top