BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Saw this on Reddit the other day, doesn't look like Somogear does any potting, even when they sell it as the potted model. So you might want to take a look at yours and possibly pot it yourself. Would probably help with holding zero and waterproofing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NightVision/comments/1ebgftf/somogear_ngal_tear_down_guide/
View Quote

Now this interests me! I've been waiting to see someone take the leap on this project. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't have ANY potting; they do a polymer "dip" on the PCB.  Some of these guys are saying it ain't shit; well maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.  If we're talking recoil management, then yeah, that's an improvement; if we're talking water-proofing, then no, you still have a lot to do in that department.

We have torn them down here, and I assume those threads are still available?  You need some epoxy around the batt housing (and possibly W&E adjustments), and you need some kind of o-ring seal on the selector switch.  I'm guessing that's where you will see moisture ingress.  

I don't put too much tuck into Reddit forums; you don't know who or why these guys are shitting on these things.  I know companies have paid employees who do nothing but go around and shit on the competition.  Bear that in mind.  Others who are finding these faults are then magically appearing with services to fix them for you.  Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Diz:
I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't have ANY potting; they do a polymer "dip" on the PCB.  Some of these guys are saying it ain't shit; well maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.  If we're talking recoil management, then yeah, that's an improvement; if we're talking water-proofing, then no, you still have a lot to do in that department.

We have torn them down here, and I assume those threads are still available?  You need some epoxy around the batt housing (and possibly W&E adjustments), and you need some kind of o-ring seal on the selector switch.  I'm guessing that's where you will see moisture ingress.  

I don't put too much tuck into Reddit forums; you don't know who or why these guys are shitting on these things.  I know companies have paid employees who do nothing but go around and shit on the competition.  Bear that in mind.  Others who are finding these faults are then magically appearing with services to fix them for you.  Draw your own conclusions.
View Quote

This right here.

This is true across the board and I have learned expensive lessons in the NFA world to avoid Reddit/YouTube/ARF hype for products.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By aftac:
So looks like somogear is the way with the drama going on.  

Debating on more peq15 models since that is what I’m use too.
View Quote

I have two SOMO-15s and a SOMO NGAL and if I end buying more I’ll do more -15s. You really need the diffuser covers and the NGAL ones are a pain to get. The OEM PEQ-15 diffuser covers and readily available from a few different sources.

The illuminator on the NGAL is a little nicer, but not that much nicer to warrant washing out close targets by way of light saber power levels on the laser and illuminator.

My .02
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Good Point.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Just saw one in the EE it’s 81kish number hopefully it’s a newer versionfor a good price and bought it.  I have A uhp and a ngal thought about buying a peq2 version since when we closed down bagram my m4 was a standard m4, ta01nsn and a peq2.   I was looking for my DCUs.

I do have an iris on order and I have two full power lasers a peq-15 and a full power laser dynamics/steiner I-2. (It’s that old.)
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got my Delta version I like it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aftac:
I just got my Delta version I like it.
View Quote

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]
If anyone wants to try an IS-EG NGAL, https://www.specprecision.com/tactical-laser-sight/is-eg-ngal-laser-deluxe-ver.html#/l3_ngal_color-fde_green_laser/ngal_version-high_power_versionmax40mw

Use code VIP10% to take 10% off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an IS-EG coming from EG. Ordered a week ago. It says shipped but there is no tracking. I'll update when it arrives
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 9:52:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#11]
Yeah there is a strong case to stick with the SG PEQ-15, simply because it is very mature tech, at an excellent price point.  If so inclined, it's fairly easy to crack open and pot.  

I really love the form factor of the NGAL mo better, but you gotta figure if the juice is worth that squeeze.

Good luck on your IS orders; I hope he is getting his shit together.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By xjronx:
I have an IS-EG coming from EG. Ordered a week ago. It says shipped but there is no tracking. I'll update when it arrives
View Quote

Quoting myself to help future buyers

I ordered on July 27th from egtactical.com's aliexpress link on the ngal listing on their web page. Their store was called" evolutiongear99 store store". They created a shipping label right away, but according to the tracking it never left their location. I asked for a shipping update after 10 days and after 11 days the tracking was canceled. The seller claims they shipped but woukdn/ provide any tracking. I applied for a refund through aliexpress, which was successful after 72 hours or so.

I've placed an order though another vendor that I believe may be the real oem of these and will update with the results and details when it arrives.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 1:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#13]
3000 round Somogear NGAL review

Excellent 3K round assessment that I found on YouTube on the Somogear NGAL that I thought would make a good data point here. Some interesting observations about the L3 diffuser caps on the Somogear and the Unity swith for the L3 NGAL with the Somogear.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xjronx:

Quoting myself to help future buyers

I ordered on July 27th from egtactical.com's aliexpress link on the ngal listing on their web page. Their store was called" evolutiongear99 store store". They created a shipping label right away, but according to the tracking it never left their location. I asked for a shipping update after 10 days and after 11 days the tracking was canceled. The seller claims they shipped but woukdn/ provide any tracking. I applied for a refund through aliexpress, which was successful after 72 hours or so.

I've placed an order though another vendor that I believe may be the real oem of these and will update with the results and details when it arrives.
View Quote

I (and some others) went through Leo's BS and games. I do not recommend anyone purchasing from EG Tactical.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fishinnut1986] [#15]
I just received my IS-EG "Deluxe" version NGAL yesterday to compare to my Somo NGAL with L3 defuser caps. It took me about five minutes last night to come to the conclusion that the IS-EG is hot garbage compared to the Somo.

Illumination on the IS-EG has this corkscrew effect that I really can't explain. It's not a perfect circle like the Somo has and it "spins" while adjusting the illumination knob, sad.. and gay. The IR Laser is the only part that impressed me, not as much bloom as the Somo but that was fixed with the L3 difuser caps anyway on the Somo. The controls on the IS-EG feel like cheap shit and you have to kinda hunt for the detent / click when changing settings. The Somo is stiff and feels like a quality piece of equipment with solid tactile detents.

All that said, the least impressive aspect of the IS-EG is most certainly the windage adjustments. The screw heads are retardedly small "much smaller than the Somo" and are mushy as hell. You can see the laser move without even turning them far enough to get a "click" and that is also very gay.

The IS-EG will spend it's life on my Tippman .22lr and will be ordering another Somo for my 11.5" 5.56, my other Somo is about 1500 rounds in on a 10.5" 300blk.

Yes, I understand that the IS-EG is the cheaper / easier to get version and not a true "IS" done up version.

~Random guy on the internet

Forgot to mention: The defuser caps that come on the IS-EG are just clear lenses and not real defusers. It changes nothing when you use them and that is also super gay.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By fishinnut1986:
I just received my IS-EG "Deluxe" version NGAL yesterday to compare to my Somo NGAL with L3 defuser caps. It took me about five minutes last night to come to the conclusion that the IS-EG is hot garbage compared to the Somo.

Illumination on the IS-EG has this corkscrew effect that I really can't explain. It's not a perfect circle like the Somo has and it "spins" while adjusting the illumination knob, sad.. and gay. The IR Laser is the only part that impressed me, not as much bloom as the Somo but that was fixed with the L3 difuser caps anyway on the Somo. The controls on the IS-EG feel like cheap shit and you have to kinda hunt for the detent / click when changing settings. The Somo is stiff and feels like a quality piece of equipment with solid tactile detents.

All that said, the least impressive aspect of the IS-EG is most certainly the windage adjustments. The screw heads are retardedly small "much smaller than the Somo" and are mushy as hell. You can see the laser move without even turning them far enough to get a "click" and that is also very gay.

The IS-EG will spend it's life on my Tippman .22lr and will be ordering another Somo for my 11.5" 5.56, my other Somo is about 1500 rounds in on a 10.5" 300blk.

Yes, I understand that the IS-EG is the cheaper / easier to get version and not a true "IS" done up version.

~Random guy on the internet
View Quote

Thanks for the write up! My only hang up with the somo is the lack of a recoil lug. Is that something they have fixed or have you had any issues with the attachment?
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve not had it come loose as of yet but I did use a little blue loctite when originally installing it. I wouldn’t use it on a 12ga but it’s held up well on my 300blk. I’ll report back if something goes awry. Some tractor and SxS time around the farm might be in order.

A couple of weeks strapped to the rops on a tractor weeds out shitty optics and lights pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

Thanks for the write up! My only hang up with the somo is the lack of a recoil lug. Is that something they have fixed or have you had any issues with the attachment?
View Quote

Yeah, wish that Somogear would replicate the real deal NGAL's mount that has that recoil lug.  If they did that and could water and dust proof it a bit I'd be a happy guy.

Link Posted: 8/22/2024 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Yeah, wish that Somogear would replicate the real deal NGAL's mount that has that recoil lug.  If they did that and could water and dust proof it a bit I'd be a happy guy.

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xjronx] [#20]
Unboxing video of the IS-EG Deluxe from Specprecision. Coupon code in the video description.

IS-EG NGAL Full Power IR and VIS Laser Unboxing from Specprecision (Not Somogear or InvisibleSight)

Adjustment detents are very fine and feel good.
Diffuser covers do nothing, even though they were advertised as functional.
Illuminator goes much wider and narrower than SomoPeq.
Brightness levels between the 2 are about the same, which is pretty good.
IS-EG IR laser seems to be slightly better focused and bloom a little less.
VIS override button always defaults to vis green.
On board Fire button feels good, and clicks well.
Selector wheel isn't as nice as the SomoPeq, but it's not bad. It's also quite a bit smaller.
LA23 Tape switch plug feels very secure, once I figured out that it needed to be pressed in further.
Green Vis and IR laser are about 1 foot apart vertically at about 250 feet, but aligned horizontally. I'm actually pretty happy with that.
It took about 30 days to get from Specprecision, I don't believe they were honest about being in stock when I ordered. They did say that green/fde models had the shortest lead time.
Somo crane plug fits, but not securely, but doesn't activate the device.
Streamlight crane plug doesn't fit all the way, and doesn't activate the device.
Looks like there is sealant around the fire button and a few other places.

Night comparison video coming this week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Nighttime comparison between the Specprecision is-eg ngal and the somogear peq.

Also, both devices were placed on separate rifles earlier that day.  Both were zeroed to their respective red dots with their vis lasers. Both were then on the red dots with the IR lasers shortly before shooting this.

IS-EG NGAL ( Specprecision ) comparison to PEQ-15 ( Somogear ) high low IR laser and Illuminator
Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top