Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Received my somo ngal from paragon yesterday that I ordered on the 23rd of Oct.  All the adjustments click and feel consistent.  The illuminator and both lasers cut through the suburban light pollution no problem, it seems just as bright as my buddies full power Korean HLAD-3G with a cleaner illuminator.  Didn't have any flickering or random shut offs, but haven't subjected it to any actual recoil yet.   Hopefully get a chance to test it more soon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Could someone post up a couple pictures of what this o ring modification is? I've read about it everywhere but I don't think I've actually seen a picture. I'm not sure how big the o ring is or where it's actually supposed to go. Does it go under the spring in the battery cap? Making it roughly the diameter of the biggest coil of the spring? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DutyRanger:
Could someone post up a couple pictures of what this o ring modification is? I've read about it everywhere but I don't think I've actually seen a picture. I'm not sure how big the o ring is or where it's actually supposed to go. Does it go under the spring in the battery cap? Making it roughly the diameter of the biggest coil of the spring? Thanks.
View Quote
Somogear has a part in the troubleshooting FAQ about it:

https://www.somogear.com/resources/troubleshooting-peq-15/
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My 15s all came with O-rings already installed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:44:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#5]
Took the EAAL/NGALike and verified co-alignment - my IR and Viz were 1-2 clicks off from each other. I put the IR at the aiming point and know the Viz is high-right by a couple tenths of a Mil. Still need to test recoil.

Re: the O-Ring. I tried the #8 mentioned previously, but that didn't allow the cap to seal around the thread o-ring - too thick - worried about waterproofness. I'm going to try the 17mm/3mm one in the Somo FAQ.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:59:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueShirtGuyNPC] [#6]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Took the EAAL/NGALike and verified co-alignment - my IR and Viz were 1-2 clicks off from each other. I put the IR at the aiming point and know the Viz is high-right by a couple tenths of a Mil. Still need to test recoil.

Re: the O-Ring. I tried the #8 mentioned previously, but that didn't allow the cap to seal around the thread o-ring - too thick - worried about waterproofness. I'm going to try the 17mm/3mm one in the Somo FAQ.
View Quote

I've played around with a few different sized o-rings but they all just flop about and i don't feel like hot gluing them in which seems to rudimentary, surely they could ship them with a thin gasket installed in the tailcap.

Either way it sounds like a custom 3D printed TPU gasket is in order, let me know if there's any interest and i'll prototype some... Only issue will be that i can't replicate the power glitch with my unit as i'm not experiencing it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BlueShirtGuyNPC:

I've played around with a few different sized o-rings but they all just flop about and i don't feel like hot gluing them in which seems to rudimentary, surely they could ship them with a thin gasket installed in the tailcap.

Either way it sounds like a custom 3D printed TPU gasket is in order, let me know if there's any interest and i'll prototype some... Only issue will be that i can't replicate the power glitch with my unit as i'm not experiencing it.
View Quote

I just stood mine upright and let gravity keep the o-ring flat. A custom 17x3 spacer would be cool. I don't know if mine cuts out or not, yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Somogear has a part in the troubleshooting FAQ about it:

https://www.somogear.com/resources/troubleshooting-peq-15/
View Quote

👍Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Amazon has Uxcell 17 ODx2mm and 17 OD x2.4mm O-rings - didn't see any 17x3's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, my potted PEQ-15 finally shit the bed. 1 1/2 years on a 11.5 suppressed AR. It held zero for the life of it. After the last range session, she done.

I’m not upset. Kinda surprised it lasted this long for what it is. I put probably 1500 rounds through the rifle with it on.

Contemplating another or swallowing my pride and searching for a legit FP PEQ.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DaBean:
Well, my potted PEQ-15 finally shit the bed. 1 1/2 years on a 11.5 suppressed AR. It held zero for the life of it. After the last range session, she done.

I’m not upset. Kinda surprised it lasted this long for what it is. I put probably 1500 rounds through the rifle with it on.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

You didn't specify. What's the issue?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

You didn't specify. What's the issue?
View Quote

Complete lack of power. Switched batteries. Checked o ring in battery compartment. No joy on IR or VIS lasers.

I haven’t got a chance to pull it apart yet. I’m guessing a catastrophic disconnection internally.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Prob just the poorly attached power lead on the battery compartment 15 mins and a soldering iron should put it back in service if that’s the case.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erwos] [#14]
Originally Posted By DaBean:

Any suggestions?
View Quote

I'd still ask Somogear about your potential options, and maybe leave out that you were using it on a real-steel gun. If nothing else, they might have a suggestion for where to look to fix it yourself.

Keep in mind that a legit FP PEQ-15 also has no warranty. :P
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Got my SOMO NGALike on Thursday and tossed it on a 10mm DI AR15 upper I was planning to put a few mags through to do some function testing.

Playing around in the backyard comparing it to my two SOMO-15s had me stoked, as the laser was just as powerful, but the illuminator was cleaner with a more defined border. It won't shrink down to the level the SOMO-15's illuminator can, which is basically a second laser, but I like the ease of adjustment and cleaner illuminator overall.

I have a T2 on the 10mm DI upper zeroed at 25yds and I did a quick converging zero at 25yds with the visible laser.

Unfortunately, the vis laser was bouncing around. After the 60rds fired it had moved up and right, then left, then eventually started coming down and left. I did the double tap constant on and watched the green vis laser move around the red dot at 25yds as I kept firing.

Not sure if it'll be an issue on a 5.56 rifle, but I really want it to work as the laser and illuminator are cleaner than my SOMO-15s and the illuminator adjustment is much nicer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Coming back to update on my NGAL.  I used it in a NVG rifle class this past weekend. Added about another 500 rounds onto my ngal. It's still holding zero so far.  I'm at close to 1100 rounds on it now. I was able to make hits on steel at 100 yds consistently with just the laser.  It's the first time i've used it at night in a target shooting setting so I can't say if that's good or not, but i'm not disapointed in it.  Also didn't have any issues of it shutting off or under recoil either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
Got my SOMO NGALike on Thursday and tossed it on a 10mm DI AR15 upper I was planning to put a few mags through to do some function testing.

Playing around in the backyard comparing it to my two SOMO-15s had me stoked, as the laser was just as powerful, but the illuminator was cleaner with a more defined border. It won't shrink down to the level the SOMO-15's illuminator can, which is basically a second laser, but I like the ease of adjustment and cleaner illuminator overall.

I have a T2 on the 10mm DI upper zeroed at 25yds and I did a quick converging zero at 25yds with the visible laser.

Unfortunately, the vis laser was bouncing around. After the 60rds fired it had moved up and right, then left, then eventually started coming down and left. I did the double tap constant on and watched the green vis laser move around the red dot at 25yds as I kept firing.

Not sure if it'll be an issue on a 5.56 rifle, but I really want it to work as the laser and illuminator are cleaner than my SOMO-15s and the illuminator adjustment is much nicer.
View Quote

Got the NGAL back out yesterday, this time mounted on a Mk 12 Mod H upper. I did a converging zero with the scope at 100yds and it maintained that same zero after 50+ rds of .223

Not sure if the 10mm recoil was just too much, or if the NGAL just needed a little more fiddling to get the adjusters to settle in, but I had no issues. Planning to leave it on this rifle for a bit to up the round count and see how it does.

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Got the NGAL back out yesterday, this time mounted on a Mk 12 Mod H upper. I did a converging zero with the scope at 100yds and it maintained that same zero after 50+ rds of .223

Not sure if the 10mm recoil was just too much, or if the NGAL just needed a little more fiddling to get the adjusters to settle in, but I had no issues. Planning to leave it on this rifle for a bit to up the round count and see how it does.

View Quote

I also wondered if things "settle in" - good news. Haven't shot mine yet, but will do the same: if it drifts, re-adjust and see if it holds.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Did they drop the power on these? It use to say 20mw for the lasers. Now they all saying 5
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By chase45:
Did they drop the power on these? It use to say 20mw for the lasers. Now they all saying 5
View Quote

Probably just bureaucratic obfuscation - my "Low" still looks a whole lot brighter than my LS321 beams.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered a second NGAL from paragon. This one has a defective laser elevation turret right out of the box. It spins freely with no resistance or clicks. Never mounted or fired on anything yet.  

All other turrets on this one and on my first NGAL from them work as they should.

I sent Paragon a video of the issue and they are working with Somogear, but Somo’s first response was not encouraging, so hopefully they will do the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bravo_220:
I ordered a second NGAL from paragon. This one has a defective laser elevation turret right out of the box. It spins freely with no resistance or clicks. Never mounted or fired on anything yet.  

All other turrets on this one and on my first NGAL from them work as they should.

I sent Paragon a video of the issue and they are working with Somogear, but Somo’s first response was not encouraging, so hopefully they will do the right thing.
View Quote

Maybe Paragon should do some QC - you should suggest it. Also, Paragon is a company, they should make you whole, and deal with the back-end - I routinely come out of pocket for customers. WTF is going on this country? (rhetorical). I'd light up Paragon's IG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_220] [#23]

Maybe Paragon should do some QC - you should suggest it. Also, Paragon is a company, they should make you whole, and deal with the back-end - I routinely come out of pocket for customers. WTF is going on this country? (rhetorical). I'd light up Paragon's IG.
View Quote

They are being helpful so far, so no need to go scorched earth. Seems like they are beholden to what Somo says though. If all else fails I’ll just mail it back and contact my CC company. But of course I prefer not to go that route since getting a working unit is my goal!

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree with not going scorched earth right out of the gate but, as a small business owner, if one of my customers gets a bad product out of the box I immediately replace it and I deal with the manufacturer directly. If Paragon isn’t turning enough profit across the Somogear product line to cover the occasional bad unit out of his own pocket then he’s doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gypsyman:

...as a small business owner, if one of my customers gets a bad product out of the box I immediately replace it and I deal with the manufacturer directly.
View Quote

Bingo. Paragon is beholden to their customers, not Somogear.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#26]

View Quote

I think Paragon Armory is a 1 man operation. Not sure if he can manage the time and effort to open and test the units, if that's what your suggesting with implementing quality controls.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#27]
NGAL showed up today.  Seems good out of the box.  Quick 30 second converging zero at 100.  Ready to try it out after dark and start racking up the round count on it to see how it holds up.

There will be video

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
NGAL showed up today.  Seems good out of the box.  Quick 30 second converging zero at 100.  Ready to try it out after dark and start racking up the round count on it to see how it holds up.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_3818-3087071.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/IMG_3819-3087072.jpg

There will be video

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE_-3070069.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Now, when they say 'not waterproof', what do the really mean? Has anyone found out?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
Now, when they say 'not waterproof', what do the really mean? Has anyone found out?
View Quote

This has been a question of mine for a bit now. Like, will it be fine in the rain? How much rain?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#31]
So I purchased an NGAl from an ARFCOM member. It was basically new. I did have an issue of it shutting off under recoil when on constant mode. It would shit down for a second on momentarty and come back on. I checked and the Oring was present in the battery bay. Did some troubleshooting and found that the Oring for the battery was slightly bigger than the diameter on the battery cap. Some Dielectric grease on the Oring and some man power on the cap solved the problem.

So far it is holding zero and doing good. Love the size and operation of the unit. I am using the button that comes with it for now and a Unity Axon SL for the sure fire. Hoping at some point I can get one with Sync in the future.

My PEQ from Somo has been solid. Only issue has been the button that comes with it popping out under recoil. Going to switch that out for a better switch. Short term solution is one we use on drone electrical and usb connection on the payload bay and put a dab of E6000 on it. I did notice some slight drift after adjusting the laser and firing it. It then settles in after that adjustment. For the cost and what I am doing at night it will work fine. Would love to get something more substantial for my main rifle at some point, but not really willing to drop 3k on a neutered LAM.

Training class this weekend was canceled so as soon as we run that course I will check the zero and update on how it held up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
So I purchased an NGAl from an ARFCOM member. It was basically new. I did have an issue of it shutting off under recoil when on constant mode. It would shit down for a second on momentarty and come back on. I checked and the Oring was present in the battery bay. Did some troubleshooting and found that the Oring for the battery was slightly bigger than the diameter on the battery cap. Some Dielectric grease on the Oring and some man power on the cap solved the problem.

So far it is holding zero and doing good. Love the size and operation of the unit. I am using the button that comes with it for now and a Unity Axon SL for the sure fire. Hoping at some point I can get one with Sync in the future.

My PEQ from Somo has been solid. Only issue has been the button that comes with it popping out under recoil. Going to switch that out for a better switch. Short term solution is one we use on drone electrical and usb connection on the payload bay and put a dab of E6000 on it. I did notice some slight drift after adjusting the laser and firing it. It then settles in after that adjustment. For the cost and what I am doing at night it will work fine. Would love to get something more substantial for my main rifle at some point, but not really willing to drop 3k on a neutered LAM.

Training class this weekend was canceled so as soon as we run that course I will check the zero and update on how it held up.
View Quote

I replaced that standard switch with a unity mod button lite and the connection is much tighter.

Something to consider when your looking for a different switch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:58:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Turok] [#33]
Paragon armory has had “sold out” on the NGAL and PEQ15 for some time now. I wonder if they are getting out of the Somo game?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Has there been any definitive answer yet on whether the new "civilian-powered *winkwink*" NGALikes are still what we're expecting in terms of output?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By erwos:
Has there been any definitive answer yet on whether the new "civilian-powered *winkwink*" NGALikes are still what we're expecting in terms of output?
View Quote

Based on mine - I think the illuminator is what most people want, the pointer, even on Low, is a little too much (but not a deal breaker for me). I still haven't recoil tested mine though, nor have I compared it to my PERST-3 yet (2 degrees, currently). If all goes well, I plan on getting that $88 AIM Neutral Density Port Cover (really?! f'n night vision).
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Still no resolution from Paragon on my NGAL with the defective elevation turret right out of the box, they are trying to get Somogear to approve a replacement. I've requested that they confirm how this will be resolved within the next ~1 week. If no action by that time then I'll just let my bank handle it and will move on.

How has the InvisibleSight lead time been? Any better recently or is it still ~1 year to receive one? I've read mixed reviews about how the SG does in the rain, is the IS any better or about the same? I have no problem paying more for a higher quality unit if I can actually receive it in a timely manner.

Have does the performance of the NGALike units compare to a legit MAWL-C1+? The MAWL seems durable enough but I really like the size/weight/footprint of the NGAL.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm waiting at just shy of a year for my IS order. Apparently there's a Mk4 version coming soon, but lots of promises and not much else. I don't recommend placing an order with him unless units start shipping soon...
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
I'm waiting at just shy of a year for my IS order. Apparently there's a Mk4 version coming soon, but lots of promises and not much else. I don't recommend placing an order with him unless units start shipping soon...
View Quote

He told me a few months ago that I would be getting a MK4 and it was much better than the MK3. He mentioned he would be announcing the MK4 in the next week or so but it never happened.

He also assured me shipping would occur within 8 - 12 weeks. I am at 8 weeks now and am under no illusions that I will receive mine in that 8 - 12 week timeframe given the length of time others have waited. I may ask for a refund as I do not want to be outside of the 90 day CC charge back option and be sitting here hoping this guy actually ships.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bravo_220:
Have does the performance of the NGALike units compare to a legit MAWL-C1+? The MAWL seems durable enough but I really like the size/weight/footprint of the NGAL.
View Quote

MAWL will allow more flood light to illuminate the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

He told me a few months ago that I would be getting a MK4 and it was much better than the MK3. He mentioned he would be announcing the MK4 in the next week or so but it never happened.

He also assured me shipping would occur within 8 - 12 weeks. I am at 8 weeks now and am under no illusions that I will receive mine in that 8 - 12 week timeframe given the length of time others have waited. I may ask for a refund as I do not want to be outside of the 90 day CC charge back option and be sitting here hoping this guy actually ships.
View Quote
I was where you are now after 10 months. I basically told him I wanted the sight or I was gonna cancel and ask for a refund.

A week later I had the sight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
View Quote

Originally Posted By WVUSIG:

View Quote

That stinks, I was hoping things had gotten better. Thanks for the feedback and best of luck getting your orders.

Originally Posted By WTFShane:

MAWL will allow more flood light to illuminate the surrounding area.
View Quote

Got it, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#42]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

I replaced that standard switch with a unity mod button lite and the connection is much tighter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chaas67:

Did the same with both of my SOMO-15s. Switching from the Somo remote button to the real deal Modbuttons solved the issues of the switch plugs backing out under recoil.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Picking up a late 2022 IS PEQ/LA5. I remember there being some chatter on battery issues or a particular battery to use. not sure how far back that went or if it was something I needed to consider. Thanks yall!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
Picking up a late 2022 IS PEQ/LA5. I remember there being some chatter on battery issues or a particular battery to use. not sure how far back that went or if it was something I needed to consider. Thanks yall!
View Quote

I got mine in December of 2022. You can use a regular CR123 but power output is way more consistent with the Surefire LiPO4 batteries. They're relatively cheap and rechargeable. Well worth it.  I still love my IS PEQ.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:30:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#45]
Originally Posted By AKoch31:

I got mine in December of 2022. You can use a regular CR123 but power output is way more consistent with the Surefire LiPO4 batteries. They're relatively cheap and rechargeable. Well worth it.  I still love my IS PEQ.
View Quote

awesome, thanks dude! Missed out when you had your NGAL and PEQ listed, so glad to finally be able to snag one. This is an October 2022 build I believe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Seriously considered one of these but with "real" IR laser prices dropping like a stone, I'll stick to those. I have been building separate light and laser setups using Surefire DS tailcaps, Arisaka Defense bodies (300/600) and Holosun LE117IR laser/Steiner OTAL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
Seriously considered one of these but with "real" IR laser prices dropping like a stone, I'll stick to those. I have been building separate light and laser setups using Surefire DS tailcaps, Arisaka Defense bodies (300/600) and Holosun LE117IR laser/Steiner OTAL.
View Quote

I think the Somo PEQs will still have a place, but I think the IRIS pricing is going to make a lot of people who would shell out for the Somo NGAL think twice.

IS is basically screwed unless Holosun really has a giant miss on the IRIS illuminator.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:06:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#48]
Originally Posted By Blackwind: Seriously considered one of these but with "real" IR laser prices dropping like a stone… etc …Steiner OTAL.
View Quote

More like skyrocketing as the Steiner OTAL has gone from less than $400 to over $800 in less than 2 years. - disregard as I misread the previous post.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

More like skyrocketing as the Steiner OTAL has gone from less than $400 to over $800 in less than 2 years.
View Quote

They are talking about the emerging offerings from Holosun and some american companies that being new Diode tech at less than half the price of a Raid X and NGAL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#50]

They are talking about the emerging offerings from Holosun and some american companies that being new Diode tech at less than half the price of a Raid X and NGAL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

More like skyrocketing as the Steiner OTAL has gone from less than $400 to over $800 in less than 2 years.

Yeah, curious what we will see at shot. Drive for the IS unit was to go on a beater 416 clone and to not have to shell out twice as much for another FP PEQ, plus I’ve wanted to try the IS clone for a while.

Having run a legit NGAL for a little bit on a work gun, I’m still in the MAWL camp as far as lasers go. Hard to beat the speed and switch design.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top