Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2024 11:23:56 AM EDT
I have an older 10/22 (22LR) with the original stock (Birch?).  Is there a proper torque spec for the receiver/ stock screw?  I have it snugged pretty good.  I remember once that it worked loose and my groups opened up into a pattern.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
What I did is I found an internal lock washer that fit the bolt. It makes the screw sit a little far out from the stock, but it doesn't come loose and you don't have to use loctite.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:59:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#3]
18-22 inch pounds is a good place to start.  if your stock has a ferrule you can go up, if not keep it lower, no sense in crushing wood.  Try different torque values with different ammo to arrive at the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
18-22 inch pounds is a good place to start.  if your stock has a ferrule you can go up, if not keep it lower, no sense in crushing wood.  Try different torque values with different ammo to arrive at the best accuracy.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:50:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
View Quote

This, all mine are at 18-20 in lbs in aftermarket stocks.  I don’t have any in a wood stock.  Wood stocks will expand and contract with temp and humidity.  They tend to work loose more easily.

If you cranked it down hard, you might be around 30-45in lbs. 18-22 in lbs is not that much pressure.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you.

I will add blue loctite.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd go 18 inch pounds.

My dad pulled the threads out of his 10/22 receiver by going higher...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top