Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2024 9:16:54 PM EDT
I have a Ted Williams M-300 (Winchester 1400) semi auto in 20ga that is a basket case gun. I'm considering what I could do with it that might be fun. I could...

Do a full stock resto, they're pretty enough guns
Tacticool it
Restomod with cerakote. I love the burnt bronze color.
Form 1/Tac13 style build (I know nothing of how that affects the action on these)
A nice bird gun
Just leave it ratty, truck gun ftw

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dtrosch] [#1]
I picked up a cheap 1400 12 ga at an auction that was "non-functioning."  A little maintenance love with some clp and a toothbrush, some wood cleaner and conditioner, and some Armor All for the rubber butt pad and it became as smooth as my 1100.

It will never be as tactically cool as others because the mechanism wont allow for an extended mag tube.  I don't know if cutting it down would function well without a lot of work and/or trial and error, so I'd skip that step.  I'd suggest cleaning it up as nice as a couple of hours of work will allow, and enjoying it for what it is.  Get something with a more favorable design and better parts support for a project.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dtrosch:
I picked up a cheap 1400 12 ga at an auction that was "non-functioning."  A little maintenance love with some clp and a toothbrush, some wood cleaner and conditioner, and some Armor All for the rubber butt pad and it became as smooth as my 1100.

It will never be as tactically cool as others because the mechanism wont allow for an extended mag tube.  I don't know if cutting it down would function well without a lot of work and/or trial and error, so I'd skip that step.  I'd suggest cleaning it up as nice as a couple of hours of work will allow, and enjoying it for what it is.  Get something with a more favorable design and better parts support for a project.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56562/IMG_4894_jpg-3270987.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking shotgun! I have the 1200 version of it. I did chop it tho.

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The 1400 is a 2+1 shotgun, so not going to be higher capacity shooting, but 3 shots can get the job done for hunting or some home defense.

Long barrels aren't swift in close quarters, I'd cut it to 18+ and play with it to see if it can be shot well.  Or clean it and use it as is.

Long barreled Winchesters remind me of the shootout with Charles Bronson in Mr Majestyk

Mr. Majestyk Killing Bad Guys | Charles Bronson

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By dtrosch:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56562/IMG_4894_jpg-3270987.JPG
View Quote

I bought this same shotgun some time ago cheap and the action was semi seized as well.  Must be something about them that this happens to somewhat easily.  A friend had one as well and the action was getting “sticky”.

I scoured the internet for weeks looking for an oversized charging handle (terrible design they have) because the stock handle is small and kind and can be slightly painful at times with excessive charging and hard on kids and women.  I had the idea this week that I’m going to try an AK knob, Hob Knob to be specific and see how it fits on the shotgun handle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

I bought this same shotgun some time ago cheap and the action was semi seized as well.  Must be something about them that this happens to somewhat easily.  A friend had one as well and the action was getting "sticky".

I scoured the internet for weeks looking for an oversized charging handle (terrible design they have) because the stock handle is small and kind and can be slightly painful at times with excessive charging and hard on kids and women.  I had the idea this week that I'm going to try an AK knob, Hob Knob to be specific and see how it fits on the shotgun handle.
View Quote
Let us know how it works!  I have several shotguns that need a softer or rounder profile charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I just wanted to update anyone that comes across this thread:

I got my parts kit in, and started stripping my receiver for Cerakote. I noticed that there were remnants of a piece of plastic at the magazine's entrance to the receiver. Sure enough, Winchester used a plastic magazine throat on these guns and I thought I would pick up a new one. Surely they make this critical part.... Right?

Nah, man. NOS parts are the only way to get it and the 20ga is out, gone, nada. I can get these parts made in aluminum or delrin, and I might do that just to offer them to people trying to resurrect these guns, but the reputation on these guns is so poor I'm not even sure it's worth it. I'll model it before I risk breaking it, but jeez what a poor design.

Hell, my parts kit has one and I'm still regretting starting this project.

If you need a magazine throat for a Winchester 1400 and have the remnants of your old one, PM me, but think about the ramification of this before you buy one of these shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a 12GA one and it was a nightmare. I needed to replace the bolt and it took me over a year to find one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Get it working and use it for birds and clays
View Quote

I got handed down one after an uncle passed away about 20 years ago.  Shot it until I rung the bbl then picked up a vr bbl nos off ebay.  Replaced some wear items and still breaking clays many years later.  It's not my primary clay breaker(I have a mega nice Winchester Super X1 12ga for that) but it goes with me every outing at the clay range.

Thanks for the scatter stick Uncle Bobby!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top