Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2024 3:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: skullbox]
This is my 2nd journey into NFA since they changed the requirements for trusts...

I recently had a paper form 4 approved a few weeks ago (1 week short of a year!).  I have a few form 1s and I need to submit now.  Am I correct in thinking that I can submit a letter for a 24-month exception for the photo, prints, and trust upload and reference my recently approved form 4?

For anyone who has used this 24 month exception, does that process go any quicker?  It seems it should since they just reviewed the same stuff...
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By skullbox:
This is my 2nd journey into NFA since they changed the requirements for trusts...

I recently had a paper form 4 approved a few weeks ago (1 week short of a year!).  I have a few form 1s and I need to submit now.  Am I correct in thinking that I can submit a letter for a 24-month exception for the photo, prints, and trust upload and reference my recently approved form 4?

For anyone who has used this 24 month exception, does that process go any quicker?  It seems it should since they just reviewed the same stuff...
View Quote

I think the 24 month exception is just for uploading the trust documents.  You have to provide fingerprints and photos every time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By willi3d:

I think the 24 month exception is just for uploading the trust documents.  You have to provide fingerprints and photos every time.
View Quote

Yep.  Not just for uploading the trust docs, but for the people on the other end reviewing them.  I know they read them, cause mine is 8 pages and there was something they had issue with on the last page.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The ATF has said that the process goes slower with the 24 month exception.  I wish I knew that before submitting my latest form 4, I’m now at 130 days and counting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RHR_12:
The ATF has said that the process goes slower with the 24 month exception.  I wish I knew that before submitting my latest form 4, I’m now at 130 days and counting.
View Quote

I used a 24 month exemption letter for a Form 1 trust and had approval in 6 days, which included a weekend and the 4th of July holiday, so really only 3 business days.  It sure didn't seem to slow mine down.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By VaFish:

I used a 24 month exemption letter for a Form 1 trust and had approval in 6 days, which included a weekend and the 4th of July holiday, so really only 3 business days.  It sure didn't seem to slow mine down.
View Quote

Yep, I got a couple of those < 2week approvals with the 24 month exemption.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got a notice of correction from the ATF.  Basically said they’re not accepting the exemption from me and that I need to send in the rest of the documents within 72 hours.  This is a real pain in the ass because my FFL is only open Wednesdays.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
The ATF has said that the process goes slower with the 24 month exception.  I wish I knew that before submitting my latest form 4, I'm now at 130 days and counting.
View Quote
I did an exception last week and it took about 2.5 days on a Trust.

I did another this week and it took about 40 hours on a Trust.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By USMCsilver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMCsilver:
The ATF has said that the process goes slower with the 24 month exception.  I wish I knew that before submitting my latest form 4, I'm now at 130 days and counting.

Apparently the ATF just hates me since they won’t accept mine.  My last form 1 was submitted almost 1 year ago exactly, so it’s definitely within the period.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Apparently the ATF just hates me since they won't accept mine.  My last form 1 was submitted almost 1 year ago exactly, so it's definitely within the period.
View Quote
When did you last send the actual trust with a submission?  They seem to interpret the 24 mo. thing as starting when they last got a submission with the actual trust document, and it doesn't restart the 24 mo. if you send in a subsequent application after that with the exemption form.

So basically, you can't do a "rolling" 24 months where so long as you do a new application at least every 2 years you never have to resend the documents.  Two years after you last sent in the trust, the exemption period is over and you'll have to resend it next time.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
When did you last send the actual trust with a submission?  They seem to interpret the 24 mo. thing as starting when they last got a submission with the actual trust document, and it doesn't restart the 24 mo. if you send in a subsequent application after that with the exemption form.

So basically, you can't do a "rolling" 24 months where so long as you do a new application at least every 2 years you never have to resend the documents.  Two years after you last sent in the trust, the exemption period is over and you'll have to resend it next time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:

Apparently the ATF just hates me since they won't accept mine.  My last form 1 was submitted almost 1 year ago exactly, so it's definitely within the period.

It was almost 12 months to the day.  I had my FFL resubmit my trust and it was approved.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#11]
44hr approval last week with trust exemption letter.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
38 hr Form 1 trust approval last week without the letter.
Top Top