Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2019 1:38:33 PM EDT
Hello all, I just found an old stash of pulled 5.56 red tipped tracer bullets. I weighed a few, and they are in the 53.5 to 54.5 grain weight. Everything I’m locating online is showing up as 62 grain. My scale is  calibrated correctly, so I know the weights are correct.  Anyone have an idea how old these are by the weights I’ve given you. Just looking for some simple load data using WC846 powder
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello all, I just found an old stash of pulled 5.56 red tipped tracer bullets. I weighed a few, and they are in the 53.5 to 54.5 grain weight. Everything I’m locating online is showing up as 62 grain. My scale is  calibrated correctly, so I know the weights are correct.  Anyone have an idea how old these are by the weights I’ve given you. Just looking for some simple load data using WC846 powder
View Quote
They made 54 grain tracer bullets too. Just use 55 grain load data.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the response, now what about the extra length of the bullet? Do I just seat the bullet to a normal 55 grain FMJ bullet?  What about added pressure spikes do to the length of the tracer bullet being seated to 55 grain FMJ specs?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are wanting them to light, I've found that imr 4064 has the best ability to light mine, not 308 and 5.56

Others work, but I get about 80% on old pulled tracers.

Txl
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you for the response, now what about the extra length of the bullet? Do I just seat the bullet to a normal 55 grain FMJ bullet?  What about added pressure spikes do to the length of the tracer bullet being seated to 55 grain FMJ specs?
View Quote
I’ve loaded 10’s of thousands of them. I seat them to the cannalure, just like 55 gr fmj’s.  My loads aren’t on the ragged edge though, just a good operating load that runs in all of my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are wanting them to light, I've found that imr 4064 has the best ability to light mine, not 308 and 5.56

Others work, but I get about 80% on old pulled tracers.

Txl
View Quote
Thank you for the heads up, I’ll definitely try the 4064. If they actually do light up,that will definitely be an added bonus, but these are just inexpensive blasting rounds. Due to the pull marks, they are not the prettiest looking bullets, so I’ll just feed them through my junkyard dog that will eat anything....... The Mini14
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Same loads for 55 FMJ's is what I used for the 54 gr. red tipped tracer. If the tracer compound is still good they will light reliably with H335 or WC 844. I'd just use your 55 gr load with your 846 powder .
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Red tips and Orange tips are different weights

The 52-54gr I shoot with h335 and cfe223.
H335 I crimp at cannelure and 24.5gr h335 if I have nothing to do I'll poke a hole in the bottom cap of projectile before loading
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Red tip went along with 55gr FMJ (M193)
Orange tip went along with 62gr FMJ (M855)
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
62 gr tracers use powder charge data closer to 69 gr.  Not only does it fill the case more, the longer bullet contacts the barrel more.  Not sure what to shoot for with 55gr.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you for the heads up, I’ll definitely try the 4064. If they actually do light up,that will definitely be an added bonus, but these are just inexpensive blasting rounds. Due to the pull marks, they are not the prettiest looking bullets, so I’ll just feed them through my junkyard dog that will eat anything....... The Mini14
View Quote
So where do you plan on shooting them?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, last year a dude lit the range up !!!

Fire dept came and we had to shut the range down for hours....

Now this was in the mid summer in PA

The tacers were from a moisen Negant , so I don't know if the 556 have a fire potential..

Later John
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The tacers were from a moisen Negant , so I don't know if the 556 have a fire potential..
View Quote
If they are lit when they impact they can start a fire if their is fuel available.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I am well aware of the potential fire hazard guys, I only shoot these things during the winter months and after a rainstorm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top