Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2024 9:01:30 PM EDT
I’m looking at fire forming 30-30 brass with Cream of Wheat and TP. I have Unique and Power Pistol powders I can use.
What is the procedure?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:12:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FB41] [#2]
Information I read years ago said to use 8.0 grains of Unique in .30-06 class and smaller cases, with TP or tissue paper stuffed over the powder.

The rifle was then held vertically and fired and the resultant case would then be full-length sized.

I tried it a couple times and found that while it did work, using an actual bullet- seated to just touch the lands- and the lowest charge of powder resulted in a better formed case.

ETA: This is for .280 AI in a Win M70 and 7-30 Waters in a Super 14 Contender.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried it a couple times and found that while it did work, using an actual bullet- seated to just touch the lands- and the lowest charge of powder resulted in a better formed case.
View Quote

This it the way ^^^

I knew guys who did the COW thing and often it took more than one shot to get the case formed.  Cheap cast bullet seated into the lands, it is a one time expense.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive reloaded 7-30 waters, I had to use COW method because of the necks collapsing during bullet seating.

8grs of unique, top off with COW, then i push in a crayon and snap it off. Keep your kids broken crayons, it also makes a colorful mess.
They all fire formed no sweat.
Seating bullets now with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag, need to reload some 7-30 waters
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top