Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 2:16:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS]
(no idea if this is the correct spot, but feel free to move or suggest a better subforum)

I'm thinking about getting a few receivers. I'm aware that recent changes to laws (or interpretations thereof) require a receiver without an SN to be engraved if an FFL comes into possession of one.

How does this work for getting a receiver anodized or Cerakoted? Does it matter if it's still in 80% form vs finished?

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#1]
IDK, but if the inconveniences start adding up like you're describing, I'd just duracoat it at home and skip all that drama.

When I was an FFL, I wouldn't have anyway to put that on the books if it didn't have a SN, or manufacturer mark.

lol though, I could just see the ATF book boi going, "who the eff is 'tortilla-flats'" if I wrote that down.  They aren't allowed to pull the 2x4 out of there ass and find anything humorous though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Plenty of Cerakote and anodizing places that don't have FFL's....you just have to find one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Plenty of Cerakote and anodizing places that don't have FFL's....you just have to find one.
View Quote

Some "might" entertain the idea, but they would have to be able to accept the piece, do the job, and release it back to the customer in the same day.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Some "might" entertain the idea, but they would have to be able to accept the piece, do the job, and release it back to the customer in the same day.

Good luck!
View Quote

Only if the receiver has been completed...if it's 80%, it's just a oddly shaped chunk of aluminum.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:

Only if the receiver has been completed...if it's 80%, it's just a oddly shaped chunk of aluminum.
View Quote

True, but you can buy 80's already ano'd so what would be the point in that?  I think the vast majority of 80's that would be presented for ano would be finished lowers and therefore treated as firearms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#6]
I bought a bunch of non-anodized receivers. Didn't realize they were available already anodized.

ETA: And for that matter, I don't think I've ever seen one not in the raw that was unfinished.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
I bought a bunch of non-anodized receivers. Didn't realize they were available already anodized.

ETA: And for that matter, I don't think I've ever seen one not in the raw that was unfinished.
View Quote

There are lots of options
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
80% is just a chunk of metal you can get anodized anywhere that’ll take it.

Or there are places that will pre-engrave 80% with your info and sell them raw or anodizes.  Then just your internal cuts (you can’t see from the outside) are unanodozed.

Or you can finish a raw 80% but if you want to send it off for anodize it has to go to an FFL and it has to be engraved first.

There’s a handful of FFL anodizers out there that do black or clear hardcoat on 1911 and ar receivers. Just google.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top