Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2024 8:22:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover]
Now that I switched to EZ Lok, my enjoyment of shooting pistols suppressed has increased quite a bit.  Add an optic and its downright fun.  Currently, I'm shooting a P80 and my only pistol can is an Obsidian 9.  I also wouldn't mind a project so I'm looking at a Tisas 9mm Commander, which I'd send out for an optic cut and then add a threaded barrel, grips, etc.  Or, I'd buy something already done up like that if the price was right. I do own a CZ75 compact that is nice, but threaded barrels are a problem and it can't be milled as far as I know.  P07 is a possibility.

My two suppressor purchases this year are going to be another rimfire can and another pistol can, where I'm leaning ECCO TLX.  I have a couple of ECCO F1 recores, really like them, and have no doubt the TLX will be fantastic.  Questions 1) will that run on a 1911 without a booster?  2) any other hammer fired hosts I should consider?  Being able to be milled for an optic is required.  And it has to be 9mm.

UPDATE:  Finally got my TLX after buying it in early March.  I was able to shoot about a box's worth of ammo before the bottom dropped out and I ran for cover.  Initial rounds fired indicate that I won't have any trouble getting this to run well without a booster.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#1]
I got a 9mm Tisas Commander length "Carry B9 ". I picked up a threaded barrel from Spectre Supply Here  . I haven't fitted the barrel yet though.

I like my P07 a lot. It's a great suppressor host. I got the Suppressor ready version and sent it to Primary Machine for the optic cut and to have the rear sight mounted in front of the optic.

I have a factory CZ-75 Compact barrel I just put in my P01, so CZ does make them. I got it a few years back, I think from CZ-USA.

My Fly9 in short mode with an Ecco LW aluminum direct thread adapter would no cycle on my P07, but will on my S&W Shield. Go figure.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a TLX.

I think it MAY run on a 9mm 1911, but it would be iffy if you added a red dot to it, unless the amount of steel milled off is close to the weight of the red dot you add to it.

The TLX is a great can and I really enjoy it, but it doesn't run as reliably without a booster on various pistols as I would have hoped.

Now you can ignore my experience if you are running full power ammo or subs with a slower powder and heavier charge.  But I'm running subs that are as quiet as possible while hovering around 1000fps with a light/fast powder charge.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention that I have a M9A3 and M9A4.  The TLX will run on my A3 boosterless.  But is a jammomatic on my A4 with the optic plate and Holosun 507C.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I got a 9mm Tisas Commander length "Carry B9 ". I picked up a threaded barrel from Spectre Supply Here  . I haven't fitted the barrel yet though.

I like my P07 a lot. It's a great suppressor host. I got the Suppressor ready version and sent it to Primary Machine for the optic cut and to have the rear sight mounted in front of the optic.

I have a factory CZ-75 Compact barrel I just put in my P01, so CZ does make them. I got it a few years back, I think from CZ-USA.

My Fly9 in short mode with an Ecco LW aluminum direct thread adapter would no cycle on my P07, but will on my S&W Shield. Go figure.

https://i.imgur.com/N7zh6WH.jpeg
View Quote

Nice!  Thanks.  That's the Tisas I'm thinking about.  I think PSA has them for $399?  I do know my way around a 1911, at least a little bit, so that's one reason why I'm leaning that way.

The P07 is a solid contender.  Yours looks very nice.  That Fly9 looks pretty damn good too!  I should consider that one too.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By emccracken:
I have a TLX.

I think it MAY run on a 9mm 1911, but it would be iffy if you added a red dot to it, unless the amount of steel milled off is close to the weight of the red dot you add to it.

The TLX is a great can and I really enjoy it, but it doesn't run as reliably without a booster on various pistols as I would have hoped.

Now you can ignore my experience if you are running full power ammo or subs with a slower powder and heavier charge.  But I'm running subs that are as quiet as possible while hovering around 1000fps with a light/fast powder charge.
View Quote

That is some solid info.  I appreciate it.  When the cans do run without booster, is it that much better?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:

That is some solid info.  I appreciate it.  When the cans do run without booster, is it that much better?
View Quote

Anytime a suppressed pistol runs reliably, it is such a great experience.  I do like not having to run a booster when possible.  I don't know if it's necessarily any quieter, but it is noticeably lighter and you don't have to worry about maintenance as much (o-rings, lubing the piston, etc).  I also *think* that boosterless cans blow back less debris (especially on your optic lens) than boostered cans.  I don't know that for a fact, but it's what I theorize.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]

https://i.imgur.com/N7zh6WH.jpeg
View Quote

Wow that’s hot
Makes me miss my P07
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#9]
Originally Posted By ECCO_Machine:
As mentioned, the additional weight of an optic can be enough to affect reliability with TLX running boosterless.   I'd love to say we're working on that, but there's just really no way to get TLX down to 3 ounces without sacrificing cartridge ratings & durability.

We do have a Kimber Nightguard 9mm, and it has been 100% with TLX using all ammo we've tried.  Our go-to is Fiocchi 158 gr. subs, which are a little on the light side, but not as light as some such as the Hush 165 gr.   But we do not have an optic on it.    When the weather warms up a little, I'll have a go with one of our stainless Alpha mounts, see if the extra ounce is problematic or not on that host. I have no interest in stepping outside to shoot when our daytime highs have been consistently sub-zero, though.  It's just been bitter cold here lately.

We do, of course, make a booster that can be installed in TLX.  We weren't gonna leave folks with more fickle hosts out in the cold as has happened with some other direct thread pistol cans over the years like the Blackside.
View Quote

Is it worth it to attempt to play the game of milking the slide to offset weight added by an optic?
Holosun only quotes the 407k at 1oz, nothing more specific than that.
I bet you could say at least half an ounce in slide window milling…
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Is it worth it to attempt to play the game of milking the slide to offset weight added by an optic?
Holosun only quotes the 407k at 1oz, nothing more specific than that.
I bet you could say at least half an ounce in slide window milling
View Quote
My S&W Shield has a 407K and it runs fine with my Fly9 and Ecco's LW DT adapter.

I think it just really depends on the gun. They can all be fickle snowflakes when it comes down to running boosterless. Even Berretta 92s apparently.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#11]

The P07 is a solid contender.  Yours looks very nice.  That Fly9 looks pretty damn good too!  I should consider that one too.
View Quote
Thanks!

I really love my Fly9 and highly recommend one but Ecco's lightest cans are lighter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#12]
 I'd love to say we're working on that, but there's just really no way to get TLX down to 3 ounces without sacrificing cartridge ratings & durability.
View Quote
How about a dedicated 9mm pistol only can?  

I wish people would just get over needing to shoot 300BO and other rifle calibers in their pistol cans.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Primary Machine is my go-to for slide work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:42:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#14]
I'm planning on a similar setup
I'm thinking Tisas Night Stalker SF 9, Ecco Canine, and EPS Carry

They just announced a double stack 2011 Night Stalker model as well if you're concerned about capacity
https://tisasusa.com/1911-night-stalker-sf-ds9/
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]

I wish people would just get over needing to shoot 300BO and other rifle calibers in their pistol cans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
 I'd love to say we're working on that, but there's just really no way to get TLX down to 3 ounces without sacrificing cartridge ratings & durability.

Enfield Rifle Company - Air 9 Suppressor
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Lots of shops mill CZ slides for RMSc/507k/EPS cut now, some do Acro as well. The threaded barrels are not hard to fit at all but yes it is rare to find them in stock.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll need to check with ECCO to see if he can do a threaded extension on the CZ barrel.  If so, that's the only way that gun would make sense.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#18]
CZ makes a SP01 Tactical with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I bought the rail version from PSA and a barrel last night.  Thanks for the barrel link!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#20]

I bought the rail version from PSA and a barrel last night.  Thanks for the barrel link!
View Quote
You're welcome!  

Tisas are pretty cool 1911s. Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#21]
Picked up my gun on the way home.  Not sure why, but the Spectre threaded barrel dropped right in.

First impression is that the Tisas 1911 is a heck of a deal at $399.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]

The price point is definitely enticing.  

Maybe that's what we'll do for a commander length 9mm demo host.   Our Kimber is a 5" gun.
View Quote

Bought a TLX today

The email worked.  Too well for my wallet, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#24]

Bought a TLX today

The email worked.  Too well for my wallet, LOL.
View Quote

Nice. I snagged a Canine today. Fingers crossed for quick approvals
Looking forward to having a dedicated light pistol can and leave my R9 for the subguns
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 5:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#25]
I could not be happier with my Tisas/Holosun/TLX 9mm combo.  10 oz(!) lighter than a full length Obsidian, shorter, and to me sounds just as good.  I'd bet money that it doesn't meter as low as an Obsidian but it sounds great (amazing, actually) and loosing the weight and booster is worth whatever hit you take with dBs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
OP- good info!
I have the same model Tisas. Ran it a few months ago with no issues. Today it all of a sudden would not cycle with different ammo and mags.
Dunno why!

Looking at added a threaded barrel to a Colt Gold cup in 9mm. Not sure I want to spend the money if it may not be reliable without some work.

The CZ SP-01 tactical runs excellent suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#27]
I could not be happier with my Tisas/Holosun/TLX 9mm combo.  10 oz(!) lighter than a full length Obsidian, shorter, and to me sounds just as good.  I'd bet money that it doesn't meter as low as an Obsidian but it sounds great (amazing, actually) and loosing the weight and booster is worth whatever hit you take with dBs.
View Quote

Nice!  Glad that worked out for you. My Tisas B9 is all stock except for that drop in Spectre barrel and some VZ grips. But it shoots great. I just had it at the range last week, testing zeros with my TiRant, Fly 9 and Kraken.  It shot low with the Kraken (and I forgot to rotate the can on the piston, so I might be able to mitigate that), but it shot right to POA using the original sights with the TiRant and Fly 9.

Fun pistol. I really like it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a die hard glock guy, but I decided to expand the handgun collection. Really enjoying these so far:

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:
I'm a die hard glock guy, but I decided to expand the handgun collection. Really enjoying these so far:

https://i.ibb.co/R6Pxv79/20240710-175154.jpg
View Quote

Which of those CZs is the better host?  Do you notice any difference between the two?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mesooohoppy] [#30]
I have way more time behind the sp01. I need to shoot the other one more.

Both are very reliable with my handloads, so I'm assuming they'll be just fine with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spot-remover] [#31]
Wanted to see how the P80 would do with the TLX.  I mostly shoot handloads but started off with some Winchester White Box 147gr JHPs.  I was just loading one or two at a time to see if it would feed and lock back.  17lb/G17 (I think) recoil spring and it seems to work OK.  The gun did NOT want to work with my handloads which are 147gr plated with a max charge of 3.6gr of Titegroup.  I tried 15 and 13 lb springs and was still mostly getting stovepipes.  I may try another, slower powder (W231) and see if that helps with function.  I have a feeling you can make Glocks work with this can if you mess around a bit.  Or go with something like a P07 as suggested earlier in the thread.

My initial impression of the TLX needs to be revised.  That can is more than incredible.  Ob9 will move to the single shot .357 duty.  If I ever want a shorter pistol can, then the 5.5" TLX will be it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top