Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2023 4:12:59 PM EDT
I'm rolling around the idea of my first SBR.  I'd like to build/buy something that could serve as a HD weapon that I'd work toward eventually getting a suppressor for, but also something that would work as a decent general purpose rifle as well.  That's why I thought something "mid size" would be worth considering.  Short enough to still be useful with a suppressor indoors, but not a super shorty.  Also not something too long that starts knocking at the back door of a 13.7 or 14.5 pinned and welded.

I also really like the look of the SBRs that have FSBs and quad rails.  I doubt I will ever have a need for night vision, so the quad rail is probably not any better than a slim rail, but I just like the look.  Anyway, looking for suggestions and recommendations on barrel size and configuration and any tips on best places to make purchases.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM sells some 11.5 uppers that sound like they might be exactly what you're looking for: https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-bcm-qrf-7-handguard-nfa/
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
11.5 to 12.5" uppers are good all around general purpose lengths.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
the upper is irrelevant at the moment

start your F1 now , for caliber and barrel length just use what you think you want to try first ... ie 5.56 and 12.5" barrel length

you can always change the upper after you get your stamp , ie want a shorter barrel after you get a suppressor

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just did a eform 1 and took 9 days. After doing 11.5 I’m happy with look and form but disappointed in the ballistics. Unless you’re kicking in doors my opinion is it’s pointless other than cool factor. Wouldn’t go shorter then 12.5 for next one and maybe even 458 Socom?
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone recommend any uppers or even barrels so I can start putting together a price list?  I would prefer something with a FSB and try to do an extended quad rail with a cutout for the FSB.

I already have a lower I can Form 1.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chevrofreak] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
11.5 to 12.5" uppers are good all around general purpose lengths.
View Quote

11.5 to 12.5 is definitely the sweet spot.  We have two SBR's with the 11.5" mid gas Faxon barrel on them and with adjustable gas blocks they are a pleasure to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Sweet barrel.  I have an SBR built around that barrel…always go mid length if it’s an option.
View Quote

The only problem I've had is with a Superlative gas block in bleed off mode. The screw will hit your muzzle device or suppressor.  I have to run them both in restriction mode to alleviate that problem.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my 12.5” sbr rock-in old school Ops M4S. Sorta like you described. Forgot to put the rear buis on after painting it :(. I can also take the small spacer behind the can off and run my 12th model if I need to be quieter. No issues from in your face distance to 200 meters.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dmtsc:
Here is my 12.5” sbr rock-in old school Ops M4S. Sorta like you described. Forgot to put the rear buis on after painting it :(. I can also take the small spacer behind the can off and run my 12th model if I need to be quieter. No issues from in your face distance to 200 meters.

https://i.imgur.com/bJaB4FZ.jpg
View Quote

Yep, very close to what I’m looking to build. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
As other poster have suggested, I would go with a BCM 11.5". It's expensive but high quality with good QC.
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-bcm-mcmr-10-handguard/

I've always been happy with my Aero stuff, solid mid grade: https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-threaded-11-5-5-56-barrel-complete-upper-receiver-w-atlas-s-one-handguard

Palmetto is a go to for a lot of people for cheaper:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-11-5-5-56-nato-1-7-phosphate-10-5-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch.html

If you are going with a suppressed 11.5 or 12.5, you don't need to SBR, you can pin/weld a lot of suppresssors, because your OAL is going to basically be very similar to a 16" rifle, in most cases.

Palmetto pin and weld:

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Colt LE6933. I was so impressed with the handling characteristics of the 11.5" barrel
I bought 2 more. They have been flawless to date.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#13]
A Colt 6933 with a Centurion c4 rail would fit what you want to do.

Colt 6933 complete SBR

Colt 6933 upper

Centurion C4 rail

Link Posted: 9/1/2023 6:51:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#14]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
A Colt 6933 with a Centurion c4 rail would fit what you want to do.

Colt 6933 complete SBR

Colt 6933 upper

Centurion C4 rail

View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I really like that option, just wasn't prepared for the pricing.  I was expecting those Colt components would be closer in pricing to a 6920, but I guess they're more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheShootingAnvil:

Thanks for the info.  I really like that option, just wasn't prepared for the pricing.  I was expecting those Colt components would be closer in pricing to a 6920, but I guess they're more expensive.
View Quote

The Colt 6933 uppers are costly right now. The complete 6933 SBR is the best value.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel the 12.5" is the sweet spot for a do-most rifle. I built mine on an LMT stripped upper and Criterion Core barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top