Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2024 12:29:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe]
It's hard to find detailed info on these so I figured I might as well offer my experiences.

I tested out this unit (only as a clip-on--the helmet mounted application isn't rocket surgery) for about 3 hours this past Saturday and got some good data. Here were my main takeaways:

1. Considering I opted for the 384 unit, I was concerned about resolution. I'm not as concerned after the testing. All groups were shot at 100m at hot hands packets, and were plenty easy to see at 100. That said, they tended to radiate heat onto the target backer so it wasn't a super well defined heat signature, so accuracy suffered by maybe .75MOA consistently. This rifle is capable of 1.25MOA with 75gr AAC match. For a mid-resolution thermal clip-on, I consider that to be outstanding. With a better target, I imagine those groups could've tightened up a bit.

2. REPEATABILITY. This was a big concern of mine considering I was looking for a 300m thermal capability and the unit will not live on the rifle. After unmounting and remounting, firing a group, and repeating that a few times over, there was no measurable effect on group size. This was using the factory thumbscrew mount.

3. Added weight wasn't bad, and the footprint on the rail was minimal compared to other thermal clipons.

4. Zeroing/lining up the thermal image with the scope was a bit of a pain, but not as bad as it could've been. The menu was super easy to navigate, and I appreciated the digital compass.

5. In Clip-on mode, you cannot use digital magnification. This isn't really much of a consideration when mounting in front of a magnified optic--either way, whether you're using the optical magnification in your optic or digital magnification in a thermal, the limiting factor will 1) the native magnification of the thermal unit and 2) the native resolution of the thermal sensor. So this isn't really a big deal, and in fact I'd prefer to just use one system to dial up/down the magnification (my LPVO).

6. I found this out before testing obviously, but my old LAM (Steiner DBAL I2) was tall enough to obscure the bottom 1/3 of the image, and it really made it less than usable to be honest. Be SURE you'll be able to clear whatever LAM you have on your rail. My decision to go with the DesignateIR-V was mostly based on its extremely low profile. I highly recommend that unit. That said, be aware that the DesignateIR has 3 recoil lugs, so it takes up slightly more rail space than something like the DBAL I2. This is less of an issue when you factor in that you definitely DON'T need to run the DesignateIR with a pressure pad; the button placement and feel is optimal.

If you have any questions I didn't answer, let me know.

This is a group after unmounting/mounting the thermal; it wasn't 100% dialed in at this point, but the consistency is more than acceptable IMO:

Attachment Attached File

This is the last group after really dialing in the thermal (yeah yeah, I ran out of ammo on that mag and didn't want to bother shooting 1 more):

Attachment Attached File

Image through the scope (picture doesn't do it justice--actual image is about 25% clearer than in pic):

Attachment Attached File

Sample group of what the rifle is capable of:

Attachment Attached File

Host rifle:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the detailed report.  I've been debating this one versus the 640.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pedaler:
Thanks for the detailed report.  I've been debating this one versus the 640.
View Quote

If you can swing the 640, do it. If not, the 384 is perfectly serviceable at short-mid range (300 and in, maybe 400 if conditions are right).
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info man

I'm interested in these, does anyone know if someone makes a 1.7" mount?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking at one for just over 2k seems like a go.  Considering they may not be around for a bit as the import stuff gets worked out. I didn’t think I would be up for a clip on until this tiny little multi use item came out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By deputygadget:
Looking at one for just over 2k seems like a go.  Considering they may not be around for a bit as the import stuff gets worked out. I didn’t think I would be up for a clip on until this tiny little multi use item came out.
View Quote

I’d snap them up while you can. Look at it this way—they won’t be getting any cheaper (most likely)
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Great review. Seems like a solid choice.  

I like to use chewing gum as a pinpoint target. Chew it up and stick it to the target. It will stay warm for a while, long enough to get a zero group shot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
And I missed out on the deal I was looking at....
Anybody finds a deal please post seems like a great piece of kit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]

oof. I wish I had seen this. Just paid $50 more than this. Now I have to decide if I want to shell out $300 for the flip to side mount now or gamble they will get dumped cheaper soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Need them develop a mount that allows both helmet and rifle mounting easily.

That’s my main gripe with the unit. You have to choose which one you are going to use because there isn’t a mount that will work between both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ReRun7:

That’s my main gripe with the unit. You have to choose which one you are going to use because there isn’t a mount that will work between both.
View Quote

Wilcox flip to side with a shoe, and at least half of a wilcox or rqe bridge. Or a reasonable facsimile of those.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My gripe, what did AGM intend for owners to use for viewing or recording with analog out?

And why didn't they make it compatible with their app?
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
.1. Considering I opted for the 384 unit, I was concerned about resolution. I'm not as concerned after the testing. All groups were shot at 100m at hot hands packets, and were plenty easy to see at 100. That said, they tended to radiate heat onto the target backer so it wasn't a super well defined heat signature, so accuracy suffered by maybe .75MOA consistently. This rifle is capable of 1.25MOA with 75gr AAC match. For a mid-resolution thermal clip-on, I consider that to be outstanding. With a better target, I imagine those groups could've tightened up a bit.
View Quote
Get some a/c, aluminum foil tape from Amazon or wherever and keep a strip in your bag. You can see it fine but without the blooming of the hand warmers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By xjronx:
Wilcox flip to side with a shoe, and at least half of a wilcox or rqe bridge. Or a reasonable facsimile of those.

I was able to use a knockoff Wilcox FTS mount for the OASYS/SkeetIR thermal devices, I had to get the dovetail shoe modified by my machinist friend so that it can be installed on the AGM StingIR's mount footprint. I knew I had to modify the dovetail shoe and so I didn't want to spend the high cost of a legit Wilcox FTS mount and having the chance this modification will not work and also the thermal not retaining its zero using this mount. The knockoff dovetail shoe does not fit in my Norotos AKA2 dovetail shoe connection though but now that I know this can work I will likely buy a legit Wilcox mount and get that modified so I can use it on a helmet and the base mount.
I took it out to the range to test out how it will hold up under recoil and also test if it will retain it's zero when I take the StingIR off the base mount and also flipping it to the side and back into position in front of my optic, an ACOG TA110, and so far after about 50-100 rounds it has held up its zero.

Video of me testing the flip to side function of the mount.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Just what are the chance that the Stingir will line up with a Aimpoint pro?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cotntop:
Just what are the chance that the Stingir will line up with a Aimpoint pro?
View Quote

With the included weapon mount of the SingIR, the weapon mount will bring the StingIR inline with optic mounts centerline height of 1.5"-1.55".
When I used the included weapon mount with my StingIR it was perfectly inline with my ACOG using a LT799 mount and that is I think 1.5" centerline height and with my Aimpoint T2 on a Unity Fast micro mount the StingIR with the stock weapon mount was inline when I used it with the Unity Fast riser.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By doge_hound_57:

With the included weapon mount of the SingIR, the weapon mount will bring the StingIR inline with optic mounts centerline height of 1.5"-1.55".
When I used the included weapon mount with my StingIR it was perfectly inline with my ACOG using a LT799 mount and that is I think 1.5" centerline height and with my Aimpoint T2 on a Unity Fast micro mount the StingIR with the stock weapon mount was inline when I used it with the Unity Fast riser.
View Quote

I had a buddy come over with an 4x Acog (I'm not into Acog's so I forget the exact model) and we messed around with the StingIR in front of it. Wow. It was a perfect host for that thermal. The LPVO I have also works great with it, but the Acog was a thing of beauty.

Also (to address the other poster), I wouldn't pair this unit with a red dot unless you're also running it with a magnifier. There's no magnification option for the StingIR in clip-on mode, and it's only nominally useful in 1x mounted in front of an optic that I assume you have mounted further towards the end of your upper receiver. Definitely not worth it IMO; you'll need a magnifier or a magnified optic to justify the StingIR.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The Wilcox FTS mount mod seems to get mine closer to absolute cowitness as best as I can tell. Maybe somewhere around 1.4-1.5. On the upper end of co-witness but I never measured it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By xjronx:
My gripe, what did AGM intend for owners to use for viewing or recording with analog out?

And why didn't they make it compatible with their app?
View Quote

Quoting myself, a device called an ezcap180, sub $50 on   China mart, works pretty well. It can record video. You just need a bnc to av adapter (sub $5). There are newer devices that are similar but cost more too. Make sure you set the ezcap to pals, and the stingir to analog output.

Waiting for shipping on a similar device that outputs to usb-c, to see if I can use my phone as a viewer and storage.

Discovered that the jerry-ym, rix stride, and stingir are all essentially the same device, with potentially the same features. The jerry-ym and pfalcon and several other infiray devices have menu options that are locked until a series of button presses.
This might have been the fix for the early stingirs that lacked functioning clip on features, that required returning to AGM. If not, then it required "client software"  and a serial to usb-c cable, and a firmware update. Which some infiray devices require also.

Currently the rix stride has the fewest features. It's speculated that rix has to wait out agm's contract with infiray. And then maybe get updates to match some of the stingir and jerry-ym features.

The jerry-ym has the most features, some locked in a hidden menu.

I'm tempted to tear down my stingir and see if it matches the internals of the jerry-ym. There's no good reason for lack of storage, a neutered ubs port, and analog output in this day and age, unless you are deliberately attempting to keep the stingir away from a computer and analysis.

I'd love for Americans to reverse engineer China for once
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#20]
With the ACOG or the LPVO could you use the 12 o'clock red dot to see over the thermal unit or does that battery compartment block the view of the top mounted dot?

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doge_hound_57] [#21]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
With the ACOG or the LPVO could you use the 12 o'clock red dot to see over the thermal unit or does that battery compartment block the view of the top mounted dot?

View Quote

With my setup with the StingIR + knockoff Wilcox FTS and my ACOG + ACRO with the Wager Machine Works TA110 base mount (this boss/adapter plate sets the ACRO much lower than the Trijicon boss mount RM35), the StingIR with the extended battery does obscure my ACRO window/fov about 50-60% but when you aim with both eyes looking at the red dot and target then I don't even notice the StingIR in the FOV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Where did you get the knockoff fts mount?
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 68WILDCAT:
Where did you get the knockoff fts mount?
View Quote

I bought mine on Ebay from the Sotac Gear seller. I think you can also find them on aliexpress/alibaba also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top