Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2024 10:02:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33]
Just wondering if they use [rely upon] Chevron Deference to say that an open bolt gun is a machinegun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Just wondering if they use Chevron Deference to say that an open bolt gun is a machinegun.
View Quote
???
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:08:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rDigital] [#2]
Just wondering if they use Chevron Deference to say that an open bolt gun is a machinegun.
View Quote

Not a lawyer, but one function of the trigger and one shot only is not a machine gun. Regardless of how it operates.

(b)Machinegun
The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rDigital:

Not a lawyer, but one function of the trigger and one shot only is not a machine gun. Regardless of how it operates.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

(b)Machinegun
The term “machinegun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

I'm not saying I agree with it but the interpretation was based on the "can be readily restored" verbiage in the law. Converting open bolt guns is generally much simpler than converting closed bolt designs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mak0:

I'm not saying I agree with it but the interpretation was based on the "can be readily restored" verbiage in the law. Converting open bolt guns is generally much simpler than converting closed bolt designs.
View All Quotes

(b)Machinegun

Correct. And ATF would be able to provide a pile of examples of guns that were on the market as semi-auto open bolts that can be " can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

In any fight with the Fed.gov we want cases that are not only winnable, but can set a clear ruling that disrupts the ATFs ability to rule against us in the future.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

Correct. And ATF would be able to provide a pile of examples of guns that were on the market as semi-auto open bolts that can be " can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

In any fight with the Fed.gov we want cases that are not only winnable, but can set a clear ruling that disrupts the ATFs ability to rule against us in the future.
View Quote
But "open bolt = machinegun" is still an interpretation of the ATF, right? ...it's not written in as part of the law.  I'm asking if they used Chevron Deference to make that determination.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I seemed to have skipped that part of the Constitution.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
good question

makes me wonder about the

“ once a machine gun, always a machine gun “

imagine all the M14 rifles that could have gone to the CMP

…just grid off a bit of the receiver
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I mean, the recent SCOTUS Loper-Bright Entperprises decision that knocked down Chevron Deference made it clear that any determinations that agencies had made prior using Chevron Deference were still valid - but that they could be challenged, and now the agency couldn't use CD to justify those.  

The ATF has used CD quite extensively throughout the last several decades, which suggests that there are a lot of their interpretations that we have come to accept as being the status-quo, that could theoretically be challenged in court now.

I'm not suggesting that the open-bolt ruling be challenged, but just asking as an example, if the ATF used CD to make that determination or if there is some other rationale behind why they did that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:56:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#9]

View All Quotes

(b)Machinegun

Removed this isn't GD.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember a friend, now long deceased, who bought one of the early OBS MAC-10s after watching "McQ" for the fortieth time-- he found that if he reassembled the action without the disconnector (if I remember correctly, it was only one part), the thing would go rattlecan. Pretty sure these things were the starting point of the whole OBS logic train ATF took shortly after that. But it was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#11]
But "open bolt = machinegun" is still an interpretation of the ATF, right? ...it's not written in as part of the law.  I'm asking if they used Chevron Deference to make that determination.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

I think people are fundamentally misunderstanding what Chevron was all about. Chevron came into play when the regulations connection to the law is ambiguous or unclear. The Courts would defer to agency experts during litigation, saying the agency, not the court, was an expert.

Has the open bolt ruling ever been challenged in court? You'd need to find that to know about if Chevron had been used in the ruling.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxLewis:

Its verbage from Federal law. I and many others may be of the opinion that all gun laws are unconstitutional but the courts disagree (even the current court).
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:21:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#13]
I mean, the recent SCOTUS Loper-Bright Entperprises decision that knocked down Chevron Deference made it clear that any determinations that agencies had made prior using Chevron Deference were still valid - but that they could be challenged, and now the agency couldn't use CD to justify those.  

The ATF has used CD quite extensively throughout the last several decades, which suggests that there are a lot of their interpretations that we have come to accept as being the status-quo, that could theoretically be challenged in court now.

I'm not suggesting that the open-bolt ruling be challenged, but just asking as an example, if the ATF used CD to make that determination or if there is some other rationale behind why they did that.
View Quote
It's important to understand that the Chevron Deference was a judicial policy.  So it's not that the ATF directly used it to make their rules based on vague law, but rather if a case were to go to trial where the ATF interpreted a vague law a certain way, then the judge/jury would be inclined to put more weight on the ATF's interpretation of the law rather than having the court interpret the law's meaning.

The ATF did use their regulatory interpretive discretion, emboldened to do so by things like Chevron knowing they would have an edge if it went to a trial, to decide that open bolts were MGs, yes.  As said above, they cited the phrase "...can be readily restored to shoot..." in the legal definition as their reasoning, because to do the conversion all that is needed is to remove or modify the disconnector.

That said, with Chevron gone, this is now open to a legal challenge which would seek to determine in court what "can be readily restored to shoot" really means and if open bolts fit that.  However to get there, you would have to be caught with an unregistered open bolt gun, charged with possession of an unregistered MG, and go through all of that fun stuff.  And in the end, you're still at the mercy of the court to decide if the ATF's interpretation is right or wrong, and for this I could really see it go either way.  It would depend a lot on how convincing the arguments were on both sides.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#14]
SW Daniels made single shot open bolt guns to challenge the notion but jury instructions appear to have been influenced by Chevron deference.

https://casetext.com/case/sw-daniel-inc-by-through-daniel-v-us
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
good question

View Quote

Great question. It doesn't make a lot of sense that a perminant modification wouldn't be legal. Certainly isn't the case for barrels permanently pinned to 16".

Hopefully these arbitrary rules go away, and gun laws can be a lot more understandable for new gun owners.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
But "open bolt = machinegun" is still an interpretation of the ATF, right?
View Quote

No, never has been.

ATF named 2-3? OB guns as MGs, that is all.

Anyone is free to make an OB if it meets 1 trigger/1 shot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Not saying this guy is right or wrong, but he's a lawyer, and his commentary on the subject is interesting. https://youtu.be/HI9Y2kl9Muo?si=bk9Dtdvp-GOcCclb
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#18]
You don’t understand Chevron deference. It is not a doctrine applied by the administrative agency but a now-defunct standard of review courts applied to challenges to agency regulations.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By dahugo:
You don't understand Chevron deference. It is not a doctrine applied by the administrative agency but a now-defunct standard of review courts applied to challenges to agency regulations.
View Quote
I do understand that, but am looking beyond that.  Agencies were emboldened to 'interpret' certain laws based on courts deferring to the agency "as the expert" rather than courts.

As I understand it, agencies should now interpret laws as they are written, in the context that they were written - and when a problem arises, the judiciary is the ultimate arbiter now, not deferring to the agencies as the experts.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Gun Law 101: The MYTH of the Open Bolt Semi-Auto Ban

Great video on the topic.
It's more of a myth that open bolt guns are considered machine guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
good question

View Quote

Thankfully a good quantity did go to CMP and ended up as parts kits that they sold.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 2:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kingoftheriver] [#22]
Many of the M14s went to the Baltic countries as military aid when they joined NATO.

As I recall, there were rumors that Clinton did this not only to help them NATO standardize their militaries, but to also keep Congress from mandating the receiver lug be ground off and sold as legal semi auto rifles through the then DCM.

RCA
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I do understand that, but am looking beyond that.  Agencies were emboldened to 'interpret' certain laws based on courts deferring to the agency "as the expert" rather than courts.

As I understand it, agencies should now interpret laws as they are written, in the context that they were written - and when a problem arises, the judiciary is the ultimate arbiter now, not deferring to the agencies as the experts.
View Quote

I agree with the first paragraph, knowing the law was vague, intentionally or not, a regulatory agency could write a regulation they knew a court would rubber stamp even if the regulation stretched the interpretation of the law.  The whole "sue and settle" strategy used for decades is going to slow way the hell down.

I disagree with the second paragraph.  With CD gone regulatory agencies aren't required to be circumspect with the regulations they write.  As a practical matter they might become more circumspect because they won't like what the judicial branch will have to say when reviewing a sloppily written regulation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
It's important to understand that the Chevron Deference was a judicial policy.  So it's not that the ATF directly used it to make their rules based on vague law, but rather if a case were to go to trial where the ATF interpreted a vague law a certain way, then the judge/jury would be inclined to put more weight on the ATF's interpretation of the law rather than having the court interpret the law's meaning.

The ATF did use their regulatory interpretive discretion, emboldened to do so by things like Chevron knowing they would have an edge if it went to a trial, to decide that open bolts were MGs, yes.  As said above, they cited the phrase "...can be readily restored to shoot..." in the legal definition as their reasoning, because to do the conversion all that is needed is to remove or modify the disconnector.

That said, with Chevron gone, this is now open to a legal challenge which would seek to determine in court what "can be readily restored to shoot" really means and if open bolts fit that.  However to get there, you would have to be caught with an unregistered open bolt gun, charged with possession of an unregistered MG, and go through all of that fun stuff.  And in the end, you're still at the mercy of the court to decide if the ATF's interpretation is right or wrong, and for this I could really see it go either way.  It would depend a lot on how convincing the arguments were on both sides.

View Quote

There might be another way.  (a) get a manufacturer FFL and SOT, (b) design an open-bolt semi-auto, (c) submit an example to ATF for approval for sale to the public, (d) when ATF says "heck no" you now have standing to challenge the law.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:

There might be another way.  (a) get a manufacturer FFL and SOT, (b) design an open-bolt semi-auto, (c) submit an example to ATF for approval for sale to the public, (d) when ATF says "heck no" you now have standing to challenge the law.
View Quote

Expect to spend $50,000 +  by time you get in front of a judge. The ATF has an unlimited legal budget funded by your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

Expect to spend $50,000 + by time you get in front of a judge. The ATF has an unlimited legal budget funded by your tax dollars.
View All Quotes

Expect to spend $50,000 + by time you get in front of a judge. The ATF has an unlimited legal budget funded by your tax dollars.

Correct.  And you'll lose because law, not regulation specifically defines a machinegun as above.  Read the entire definition carefully, here it is again:

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it was the Intertec Tec-9 variation, MAC-10 or the Model A Uzi examples they used for the open bolt ban hammer.

It was something on the same line that it only took x amount of time to make it full auto again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By AR18:
I think it was the Intertec Tec-9 variation, MAC-10 or the Model A Uzi examples they used for the open bolt ban hammer.

It was something on the same line that it only took x amount of time to make it full auto again.
View Quote

There was never a ban on open bolt firearms ....a number have been reclassified due to the fact they are readily convertible.

The Franch LF62 and Spitfire were reclassified as MG's in the 1960's.

In 1982, the KG-9, M-10/M-11 SAP's, and the York Arms semi Sten were reclassified ...... but only if manufactured after a specified cutoff date .... and none were.

RPB / SWD attempted to market an open bolt, single shot M-11 .380, but ATF stopped that pretty quickly.

There has never been an open bolt semi Uzi .....all have been closed bolt since day one .
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:42:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#29]
Expect to spend $50,000 +  by time you get in front of a judge. The ATF has an unlimited legal budget funded by your tax dollars.
View All Quotes
Correct.  And you'll lose because law, not regulation specifically defines a machinegun as above.  Read the entire definition carefully, here it is again:

And even if the case was won, what would be the point?  It would be a hollow victory. Sure, we stuck it to the man and got some rights back, but open bolt guns suck as semi-autos and you still won't be able to make it a machine gun.

I think we have better hills to die on.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
SW Daniels made single shot open bolt guns to challenge the notion but jury instructions appear to have been influenced by Chevron deference.

https://casetext.com/case/sw-daniel-inc-by-through-daniel-v-us
View Quote

I'd admire that effort
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
VanDerStok v. Garland might have an impact, too.

The problem is that NFA precedents are not “relevant case law.” Ibid. As to ordinary GCA firearms, ATF is limited to regulating things that can “readily be converted” into firearms. 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3). That means 45 No. 23-10718 things that are close enough to firearms that they can be finished “in about five seconds,” Morales, 280 F. Supp. 2d. at 272, in “about fifteen to twenty minutes,” Reed, 114 F.3d at 1056, or in “easily less than an hour,” Mullins, 446 F.3d at 755. ATF cannot avail itself of the NFA’s much broader for machine guns. Yet in interpreting the GCA’s ordinary-gun standard, ATF expressly relied on cases like Smith and its eight-hours-in-a-professionalshop-with-expertise standard. See Final Rule, 87 Fed. Reg. at 24662 n.43; see also id. at 24678–79 (explicitly linking the Final Rule’s understanding of “readily” to the machine-gun-restoration standard under the NFA).

The practical implications of ATF’s position are staggering. According to ATF, the word “readily” means the same thing in the GCA, the NFA, and the Final Rule. If that were true, then millions and millions of Americans would be felons-in-waiting. That is because the AR-15 is the most popular rifle in America; almost 20 million of them were in American homes as of 2020. See NSSF Releases Most Recent Firearm Production Figures, https://perma.cc/TBS8-JSSH (Nov. 16, 2020). But every single AR-15 can be converted to a machine gun using cheap, flimsy pieces of metal—including coat hangers. See Mike Searson, Turning Your AR-15 into an M-16, Recoil Magazine, https://perma.cc/L5G9-E9BJ (June 5, 2019). That is obviously far easier than the 8-hour-in-a-professional-shop standard announced in Smith to govern “ready restoration” under the NFA.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The ATF has testified under oath in federal court that open bolt Macs are in fact not machine guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Yes, and I thought about this as well.  I doubt we'll see a challenge however as closed bolt is a superior method of operation for everything but GPMGs and up, or as a cost saving measure when you're shitting out last ditch weapons like the Sten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top