Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2024 5:08:51 PM EDT
Hello all! New to the forum here - I enjoy collecting lever guns and have a few old 94's, an older Marlin, etc. Been wanting a 1895 for a while and one came up for sale near me for $1,000. It's in decent shape, definitely not a museum piece or anything but a nice shooter grade. However after receiving a few more pics there is a very odd divot on the barrel near the rear sight, as if someone tried to drill into it for some stupid reason?

I'll attach a few imgur links below. (also my first post so sorry if I mess up the images somehow). I mainly want to hear some thoughts on:

1. What the hell was someone thinking? Why drill there? Attaching a different rear sight and then thought better of it?
2. I haven't seen this gun in person yet so I'd like to look down the barrel for any fouling/damage but curious if that divot will affect the barrel integrity.. After all it's over 100 years old.. The barrel looks pretty thick in that area but still I think I'd need a gunsmith to at least take some measurements and decide right?
3. Anyone have any other guesses?

Still not sure if I'll buy this - got the guy down to $700 but still debating if I want to take the risk.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/GqUwCUG
https://imgur.com/3cbvti1
https://imgur.com/VyNShll
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
Made hot for OP:

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 5:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#2]
Don't think it would cause a problem in barrel strength, those were pretty beefy. Not sure how it affects value though. Weird indentation though, doesn't look drilled?

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I really am not sure what it is - I only assumed it was someone attempting to drill for some reason because it seems to be perfectly centered on the barrel - as if there was a purpose to doing so like installing an aftermarket pair of irons or something.. The guy selling it is out of town for another 6-7 days so I'll get to see it then and then make my decision.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#4]
What caliber is it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry forgot to mention - 30.06.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindless] [#6]
From your picture, it looks like a drill bit or a tap is broken off in the hole.  Probably not a safety concern as long as it has not gone into the bore.  If bore is bad, you can afford to reline it if you are only into it 700.  Any idea why the barrel is so short?  Note too that the gun has been drilled and presumably tapped for a receiver sight which is not original.

Ps:  Be sure to check the headspace.  Hot .30-06 will stretch the action on a 95.  Maybe any full house -06 will stretch them, don't know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
All in all it's a mystery that's for sure - I haven't purchased yet so I'll get to inspect it in a week or so and make a decision then. I want to look down the bore and make sure nothing funky is going on inside there.

Not sure on the barrel length - assuming someone shortened it long ago to make it a bit handier? I noticed that as well and from the pics provided can only guess it's 4 - 6 inches short?

Yeah I saw the receiver holes too. Figured someone had a peep sight of sorts on it.

Thank you for the note about headspacing! I'll check it when I get to look at it in a week or so.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking at the rough surface in front of the divit, and it looks like there is a line there, and to the sides of it.  You may find another divit under the rear sight, almost looks like some of the metal was protected by a scope base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top