Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2024 9:03:00 PM EDT
And if not, are the expert grade ones undesirable for some reason?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think there are bunches still out there. There are reports of some guns still in the Philippines but that they were in bad shape.
The biggest problem is the political climate and getting the guns back to the states.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
People don't like the Expert Grade because they think they don't have "history". It was the 1st Garand I bought a couple years ago and I'm quite happy with it. I'd love to get a nice Service grade but they never have any in when I have the money.

If you only plan on 1 I would get the Expert. It's going to outlast you and your grandchildren
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Supposedly they got another batch from Turkey.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd actually prefer an expert grade. With a new barrel and stock it'll be a perfect shooter
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:
People don't like the Expert Grade because they think they don't have "history". It was the 1st Garand I bought a couple years ago and I'm quite happy with it. I'd love to get a nice Service grade but they never have any in when I have the money.

If you only plan on 1 I would get the Expert. It's going to outlast you and your grandchildren
View Quote

Good feedback, thanks. I am looking for a representative sample to shoot and enjoy, not building a correct collection.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskeyballzzz] [#7]

View Quote

I took my son to the CMP South Store in April '23 and bought him an H&R Expert in 30-06. He LOVES it ! Two months later, I got the itch and mail ordered a .308 Expert and got a beautiful SA made in '43. All parts match on mine w/ the exception of the Criterion barrel and obviously, the stock.

They draw onlookers at the range.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rider_No2:

Good feedback, thanks. I am looking for a representative sample to shoot and enjoy, not building a correct collection.
View Quote

The barrel is a wear item. The criterion is more accurate than any military surplus barrel including the VAR and LMR barrels, per the CMP master gunsmith and the custom shop armorers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
I would think there are bunches still out there. There are reports of some guns still in the Philippines but that they were in bad shape.
The biggest problem is the political climate and getting the guns back to the states.
View Quote

They have no issues getting the guns back as that goes through the Army, but they do have to foot the bill for however much it costs to transport them back. Thus it only makes sense if there’s a sufficient quantity to make it worth it.

The issue with the Korean guns is that the Koreans claimed that they bought the guns and didn’t lend-lease them so they were trying to sell them to importers. The guns CMP gets are lend lease and thus the Army takes them back without paying for them - CMP pays for the costs of transport and processing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:

I took my son to the CMP South Store in April '23 and bought him an H&R Expert in 30-06. He LOVES it ! Two months later, I got the itch and mail ordered a .308 Expert and got a beautiful SA made in '43. All parts match on mine w/ the exception of the Criterion barrel and obviously, the stock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:

I've toyed with getting a .308 Expert but figure the 30.06 is enough, I only shoot it a couple times a year anyway so better to spend that money on ammo
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Navy Mk2. Do it now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Just got an email my 308 is on the way. I will say the last one I got last year was rough.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
Navy Mk2. Do it now.
View Quote

What is the deal with the pressure of .308 vs 7.62 on these?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I was a pretty active buyer from the CMP until about early 2018. Mail order. It took me many years to get a WRA, but once I completed "the set" and had multiple
extras I kind of moved on to other things. The inexpensive HXP running out was another big reason.

Last week I visited the sales page and saw no RG, FG or SG Garands. The only rifles they had were a couple of the EG offerings. I'm sure they are good shooters,
but I'd think it's an indicator that they are reaching the end of what they have. Who knows? The CMP has pulled a rabbit out of its hat before.

I never got the opportunity to get a bolt gun from them. I would have loved to have grabbed a 1903 or two, but I never saw them offered mail order. You guys
who live close by are very lucky. I'm afraid if I did the temptation would be too great and I'd be perpetually broke.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:47:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#15]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
Supposedly they got another batch from Turkey.
View Quote

There are still a huge amount of M1s in storage in South Korea. The good news is that all the prep work for storage was done right years ago.  But good luck on speculating when we might see those repatriated to our shores.  I’m sure the CMP is keeping an eye on the political winds coming later this year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:

There are still a huge amount of M1s in storage in South Korea. The good news is that all the prep work for storage was done right years ago.  But good luck on speculating when we might see those repatriated to our shores.  I’m sure the CMP is keeping an eye on the political winds coming later this year.
View Quote

I think that the number of Garands in Korean hands was in the 200k range but they also have a stupid number of M1/M2/M3 carbines in storage as well numbering over 600k. All of those need to be brought back...
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 1:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#17]

View Quote

Korea owns a big portion of those, they’re not all on the loaner program.   One batch they were selling ten to 15 years ago?, Orest Michaels or a CMP rep  iirc went out to look at them and see if an offer was worth it.  The CMP couldn’t pay the asking prices.

They may show up one day but expect the best quality ones to come back with import marks and the dregs to come back via CMP to satisfy any requirement of returns.   They aren’t dumb businessmen in Korea.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:27:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#18]
Originally Posted By moreammoplz:
I will say the last one I got last year was rough.
View Quote
Same, but I used it as a base for a Mini-G .308 conversion, for which a "rough" condition M1 was perfect.  That way I wasn't "destroying history", but rather was refurbishing a tired old rifle in a way that would get it afield and out of a safe.

I saw the "rough" Garands as an opportunity.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
I'd actually prefer an expert grade. With a new barrel and stock it'll be a perfect shooter
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I looked at a NICE IHA Expert grade Garand a few National Matches back.

it was damn hard leaving without it. I was basically a new Garand. Yeah, maybe you can't see it's history, but it's a damn nice rife.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BigsWick:
I was a pretty active buyer from the CMP until about early 2018. Mail order. It took me many years to get a WRA, but once I completed "the set" and had multiple
extras I kind of moved on to other things. The inexpensive HXP running out was another big reason.

Last week I visited the sales page and saw no RG, FG or SG Garands. The only rifles they had were a couple of the EG offerings. I'm sure they are good shooters,
but I'd think it's an indicator that they are reaching the end of what they have. Who knows? The CMP has pulled a rabbit out of its hat before.

I never got the opportunity to get a bolt gun from them. I would have loved to have grabbed a 1903 or two, but I never saw them offered mail order. You guys
who live close by are very lucky. I'm afraid if I did the temptation would be too great and I'd be perpetually broke.
View Quote

I'm guessing they're sending most of what they have ready to go in those grades to Perry for the National Matches. Bet they return to the sales page after the matches are over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:06:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#22]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

View Quote
Just shoot 7.62 in it if you are worried. I'm saying get one not even as a shooter, but for the history. So few of them were made. You used to only really get them as trophy rifles, this is pretty close to a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

I'm guessing they're sending most of what they have ready to go in those grades to Perry for the National Matches. Bet they return to the sales page after the matches are over.
View Quote

Yeah, that very well could be. Recent south store reports from the CMP forums reveal a small number of things
not available mail order, so they're around in at least limited numbers.

Would sure like to handle some of those bolt actions!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Same, but I used it as a base for a Mini-G .308 conversion, for which a "rough" condition M1 was perfect.  That way I wasn't "destroying history", but rather was refurbishing a tired old rifle in a way that would get it afield and out of a safe.

I saw the "rough" Garands as an opportunity.  YMMV.
View Quote

Did you get it back yet? What condition was yours in that you sent?
I Received a Rack Grade last year but it had a ton of pitting, so I didn't want to use it for the Mini-G conversion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

<This. You are basically getting a new rifle. It's going to shoot better than any surplus GI barrel because Criterion is simply head and shoulders better than anything the government fielded.

You still have the "history" IMO, most WW II rifles were rebuilt after the war anyway. If I were shopping for a M1 Garand I would be in the market for a rifle with a serial number over 5,500,000. They were not built in a hurry under wartime demands, they have all of the tech upgrades and revised drawings incorporated in their manufacture, they never got abused in actual wartime field conditions and many of them look almost new.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

View Quote

There basically is no pressure difference between 7.62x51mm v. .308. The government uses copper crosser (c.u.p.) testing equipment which registers 7.62x51mm and .308 around 52,000 c.u.p. for maximum loads. The commercial SAAMI standard uses piezoelectric transducer testing equipment that more accurately measures "peak" pressure, both of which falls between 60,000 to 62,000 psi when testing either ammo type.

7.62x51mm chambers are more generous than SAAMI .308, which contributes to the slightly lower pressure readings (only 2,000 psi lower).  

You can safely shoot either ammo type in standard commercial/military chambers. What you can't safely do is shoot M80 ball or M118 variants in a 95 Palma (custom .308 chamber) because the case necks are thicker, and the 95 Palma chamber doesn't allow enough room to safely allow the case neck to expand enough to release the bullet without spiking pressure. Clearance is only .001 to .0015" at the neck, it's a pinch fit at the neck/shoulder junction.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 7:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#27]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

<This. You are basically getting a new rifle. It's going to shoot better than any surplus GI barrel because Criterion is simply head and shoulders better than anything the government fielded.

You still have the "history" IMO, most WW II rifles were rebuilt after the war anyway. If I were shopping for a M1 Garand I would be in the market for a rifle with a serial number over 5,500,000. They were not built in a hurry under wartime demands, they have all of the tech upgrades and revised drawings incorporated in their manufacture, they never got abused in actual wartime field conditions and many of them look almost new.
View Quote

The only Criterion barrel I have is on an M14.  It shoots nicely.  All my M1s have GI barrels.  The better ones are the Late ones made without war pressures on manufacturing.  The HRA and LMR barrels are shooters as are the 65 series of Springfield.   I am not sure if a new Criterion would do any better in an excellent condition GI stock configuration.  Maybe a match configured rifle would show the difference.

Either way if you do need a new barrel they’re an outstanding option.

I wish they’d make a few inch pattern FAL barrels.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I don't know about that, these were pretty good barrels.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20221008_144509_jpg-3253358.JPG
View Quote

The CMP custom shop armorers swear by the CBI barrels, and they’ve had a bunch of the former AFPG and NM guns come through.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

The CMP custom shop armorers swear by the CBI barrels, and they’ve had a bunch of the former AFPG and NM guns come through.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/20221008_144509_jpg-3253358.JPG

Charlie Frazier at Crane Navel base built this one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I did indeed get my Mini-G back.

As received, with pits below the wood line:

And an absolute garbage stock:

I replaced the stock and sent an Ultimak to get installed with it when I sent it to Jeremy2171 to get rebarreled/rechambered and re-arsenaled/checked for any concerns due to the condition.  Jeremy does fantastic work.

It checked out, so I then sent it out for the Mini-G treatment, to include shortening and a refinish.  It is incredibly handy and fun now, I need to get better pictures of it:

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#32]
They will list them out of stock if they get behind on what they have ready-to-sell. During COVID they were out of everything, but then they came back with stuff I never thought I'd see from them.

@Seven-Shooter
What stock pouch is that?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
They will list them out of stock if they get behind on what they have ready-to-sell. During COVID they were out of everything, but then they came back with stuff I never thought I'd see from them.

@Seven-Shooter
What stock pouch is that?
View Quote
@jos51700

This one.   I have two of them now, one is on my full size .308 Garand.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#34]
For more motivation to refurb and shoot the old warhorses, I had an old Greek return from maybe 2010 that I rarely shot.

As bought:

After a refurb and refinish from Jeremy2171, with a Criterion .308 barrel and a Fulton armory stock set:

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#35]

Charlie Frazier at Crane Navel base built this one.
View Quote

That doesn’t change the fact that he could have built a better rifle with a modern barrel. With the same NM or AFPG mods as the old match rifles, unitizing the hand guards and bedding, etc, you’ll get better performance from a modern CBI barrel than the old SA barrels.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe they let that get out of the building.
Attachment Attached File

That turned into a stunning project. Please try to get some video of you shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got my expert. Its a good investment. Hoping and praying the lower grades will come in.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I did indeed get my Mini-G back.

As received, with pits below the wood line:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/1DCA7ADA-88F2-4D37-AEF5-29FB9296790B-2642407.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/28F8DF80-A429-427C-B68C-201AF2280D3D-2642406.jpg

And an absolute garbage stock:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/424D1B6A-7F48-439B-B546-F7321AFDB4EB-2513502.jpg

I replaced the stock and sent an Ultimak to get installed with it when I sent it to Jeremy2171 to get rebarreled/rechambered and re-arsenaled/checked for any concerns due to the condition.  Jeremy does fantastic work.

It checked out, so I then sent it out for the Mini-G treatment, to include shortening and a refinish.  It is incredibly handy and fun now, I need to get better pictures of it:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/3F0FD237-1636-4CA0-A80F-753A16BE3BC4-2734308.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/IMG_2175-3206945.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/184FA8FF-B0A9-446D-BA3B-8534A0ACD301-2735152.jpg
View Quote

Nice set-up! Yours looks like mine except mine is .30-06.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#39]
To condense and clarify what some others have mentioned:

The only rifles the CMP can recover are guns transferred to other countries via lend lease/ MAP ( military assistance program)
Guns sold by the US to other countries are not eligible.
The CMP is a very cautious organization and will only pursue those guns verified to be LL/MAP ,sales guns are off the table

A couple of the biggest recipients of LL/MAP guns from about  the mid 50’s to the 80’s were Vietnam and Iran and those guns ( I don’t know the exact numbers but probably close to a million total ,or about 1/6 of total M1 production) and these not recoverable due to political considerations.
( there are a few pictures of troops in Iraq recovering M1’s from time to time)

From 1945 to the mid 50’s pretty much every Western European country was equipped whole or in part with M1’s ( Scandinavian countries Italy Greece ) and of course a significant number of central and South American countries as well,

From what I can tell, all the European guns and all salvageable Philippine guns have been recovered.

An effort was made to recover stuff from central and South America but the tropical environment made condition so bad it was deemed not worth the effort.

So the reality is any serviceable guns out there to be potentially recovered and very small in number.

Having said all that, for the last 20 years or so the commentary that we are at the end of M1 sales pops up every few years. But then a stash is discovered and allows the program to continue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#40]
Originally Posted By captain127:
To condense and clarify what some others have mentioned:

The only rifles the CMP can recover are guns transferred to other countries via lend lease/ MAP ( military assistance program)
Guns sold by the US to other countries are not eligible.
The CMP is a very cautious organization and will only pursue those guns verified to be LL/MAP ,sales guns are off the table

A couple of the biggest recipients of LL/MAP guns from about  the mid 50’s to the 80’s were Vietnam and Iran and those guns ( I don’t know the exact numbers but probably close to a million total ,or about 1/6 of total M1 production) and these not recoverable due to political considerations.
( there are a few pictures of troops in Iraq recovering M1’s from time to time)

From 1945 to the mid 50’s pretty much every Western European country was equipped whole or in part with M1’s ( Scandinavian countries Italy Greece ) and of course a significant number of central and South American countries as well,

From what I can tell, all the European guns and all salvageable Philippine guns have been recovered.

An effort was made to recover stuff from central and South America but the tropical environment made condition so bad it was deemed not worth the effort.

So the reality is any serviceable guns out there to be potentially recovered and very small in number.

Having said all that, for the last 20 years or so the commentary that we are at the end of M1 sales pops up every few years. But then a stash is discovered and allows the program to continue.
View Quote

I've got a really nice Danish return with a VAR barrel. It's a VG shooter and was in great shape. I ''think'' I've had it 15-20 years.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I have read numerous reports on the Korean rifles over the years.  Some say they are great, others say they are terrible, and most say they are mixed.  I could definitely see SK offering some bad ones to CMP and trying to sell the others.  It would probably make the most financial sense for SK to offer them up after the other sources ran dry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By k75zracer:

I think that the number of Garands in Korean hands was in the 200k range but they also have a stupid number of M1/M2/M3 carbines in storage as well numbering over 600k. All of those need to be brought back...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By k75zracer:

If Korea wanted to do the Right thing to thank the US for saving its azz in 1950 and keeping them safe for the last 3/4 of a century, they would give those rifles back to the citizens of the US.  That action would only be a small gesture to repay the debt owed in material, blood and lives.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:33:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K2enemy] [#43]
I just picked up an expert Garand and a service grade 03A3 2 weeks ago from the South store. Looking at the "historical" Garands vs the experts...the extra $400 for an expert was worth it. They had nice M1D's but those started at $2600....

Also, the Mk1 & 2's were cool but they were all in rough shape.

If you want a historical piece, then go for a rack or service grade. If you want a shooter, get an expert. My SA receiver serial puts it's mfg date between 43-44. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Part of me wants a Philippines M1, since my wife's Grandfather was a Filipino Ranger during WWII
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I actually met the CEO of the CMP a couple of weeks ago at the National Matches at Camp Perry. He said they have about 30,000, or an "18-month supply". He did not say if they were all at the north or south store, or where they came from.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Spent the week of July 15-20 at Camp Perry shooting the national pistol matches.  On Saturday - July 20 - I visited the CMP Store.  The folks working there are very helpful.  I picked out a Winchester Expert Grade M-1 in 7.62 X 51 (new bbl and new wood). Already have a couple Garands in 30-06 and have a bunch of 7.62 surplus on hand so I thought I would try something different. Could not be happier !  Other than the gas cylinder most parts are from SA.  On the range last week and shooting off my pack she was holding 2 1/2" at 100 yards.  Fired about 120 trouble free rounds. Hopefully I will make it to the range on Tuesday for a little more fun.

Most likely this will be my last Garand purchase and some day my grandsons will enjoy it.  Planning on going back to Perry in July 2025, so no telling what may follow me home
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By acthomp:
I actually met the CEO of the CMP a couple of weeks ago at the National Matches at Camp Perry. He said they have about 30,000, or an "18-month supply". He did not say if they were all at the north or south store, or where they came from.
View Quote
I'm surprised they still have that many.

That gravy train has been running out for a good long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top