Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2024 5:24:52 PM EDT
So let me phrase this a little differently than the title reads. Right now i have way more SBR lowers and non SBR lowers.  Every upper has a lower, basicly i have more lowers than uppers.  A few of my SBR lowers even have 16" uppers on them. But its nice to know i can put whatever i want on them. I have thought about getting rid of a few lowers that i am not "in love with". Obviously i wont get rid of the SBR lowers. So that leaves only a few of the non SBR lowers that i could sell. Nothing wrong withthem, sometimes i just want something with a different rolemark. Is there any reason to keep a few non SBR lowers around? Do you see a issue with every AR15 you own being registered with the ATF and listed in your trust?

Honestly, its not like they dont already know what i have from FFL records. We know they arnt supposed to look at those but lets be real.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d16man:
I would add braces before I sbr'ed everything.  My parents live in a different state.  Taking a pistol is no issue.  Taking an SBR is.
View Quote

True and thats a good idea if i want to use a short barrel. But couldnt i stick a brace on a sbr to travel? Some of my SBRs started out as pistols. Or if i drop a 16" upper on it couldnt i travel as well?. Basicly i 3 options for travel. Put brace on, put 16" upper on, form 20.

I am not really looking to add more SBR lowers. Just keep only the SBRs i already have. So the $200 cost isnt a issue at all.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just wanting to see opinions of this. So i appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI

Also. Once turned into a rifle, it can never be a "pistol" again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BIGSHOOTER414:
FPNI

View Quote
Not true.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I won’t own an SBR ….. ever.
You do you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I would keep one or two pistol/rifle just for ease. I know a rifle can be approved for state travel or I could take the time to swap a pistol upper to a rifle one, but what if out of state family is sick or whatever and you have to pack right damn now?

Plus in some states a loaded rifle in the car is illegal but pistol is GTG. And vice Versa
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
You do you.
View Quote

Fantastic advice given you're in the... *checks notes* ...SBR forum.

Op, all of my ARs have been stamped over the years.  Sometimes they're short, sometimes it's "wasted" on a 14.5 that could be P/W or even 16+.  Doesn't bother me one bit.  I tend to stay pretty minimalist so I would consolidate in your position.  Spare lowers don't have much of a use without their uppers with the exception of a braced lower hanging around for potential travel/vehicle use as states allow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I would keep one or two pistol/rifle just for ease. I know a rifle can be approved for state travel or I could take the time to swap a pistol upper to a rifle one, but what if out of state family is sick or whatever and you have to pack right damn now?

Plus in some states a loaded rifle in the car is illegal but pistol is GTG. And vice Versa
View Quote

Pistol first, then SBR it.

After that, all you’ve gotta do is swap a brace onto it and it’s back to being a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
You do you.
View Quote

This should be good. Why not?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 8:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#13]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I would keep a few just to have flexibility. Who knows what the future holds.  Lowers are relatively cheap, unless they a higher end model.  Resale in today's market may not be great; in the future they might bring more of a premium.  This is coming from someone who has at least a dozen of SBRs lowers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 9:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#15]
I have one pistol lower… just in case I get a quick turnaround at work and can’t get a 5320.20 approved fast enough. For the 4 states I frequently travel to… I do it for 6 of my NFA guns for the fiscal year.

If the pistol lower still don’t work, I have the Colt 6920 and then I can put the 18” barrel/magazine tube on my 870.

I am going back/forth on Form 1ing a KP15 for s***s/giggles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI

View Quote

This is incorrect. If it started life as a pistol and became an SBR, it can go back to being a pistol. If it started life as a rifle and became an SBR, it can never be a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dana:

True and thats a good idea if i want to use a short barrel. But couldnt i stick a brace on a sbr to travel? Some of my SBRs started out as pistols. Or if i drop a 16" upper on it couldnt i travel as well?. Basicly i 3 options for travel. Put brace on, put 16" upper on, form 20.

I am not really looking to add more SBR lowers. Just keep only the SBRs i already have. So the $200 cost isnt a issue at all.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just wanting to see opinions of this. So i appreciate your input.
View Quote

I think your plan is solid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Not true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
FPNI

Not true.
true and not true - depends on which it was "born" as
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Doesn’t putting a 16” upper on a sbr lower make the sbr lower not matter anymore, esp for traveling?
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Ehhh,  I’d rather they not know all what rifles I have. I wouldn’t register more than I had to.

The real power play for the non-FFL:

Only own several homemade 80% ARs
Put identical markings on all of them.
Register one of them as an SBR

Congratulations… All your ARs are registered SBRs
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:
Doesn’t putting a 16” upper on a sbr lower make the sbr lower not matter anymore, esp for traveling?
View Quote

Yes. It can only be a SBR while it’s actually a SBR. With a 16”+ barrel it’s just another rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#22]
All of my lowers except for 1 are registered as SBR’s.

The lower that’s not registered has a brace and 8.5” 300BLK upper on it and lives in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
All my remaining lowers are stamped, 2 started as pistols so Im good to go for travel. I have given all non-NFA to my kids and added them to the trust.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:00:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#24]
Originally Posted By d16man:
I would add braces before I sbr'ed everything.  My parents live in a different state.  Taking a pistol is no issue.  Taking an SBR is.
View Quote

Mostly this, but more broader than that specifically.  Who knows what the next 20+ years holds.  Having a few guns all legally registered may be a good call should they close the NFA, and then a couple years ban everything not in the NFA.  (Think 1986 MG Ban).   While at the same time, having a few guns NOT in the NFA, isn't a bad idea if things take a weird turn there, like if they change NFA law to become more onerous and require training, annual renewals, capriciously decide once-an-SBR-always-an-SBR, whatever, etc.  And then there's the state level rules on Pistol vs SBR vs Rifle that can very from state to state.  Having AR's that "you can be this, and you can be that", is a good idea.   Having 20 is pretty much a waste, if you're looking to simplify; but having at least one in each category, is probably a good hedge against an unknown tomorrow.  

Don't get too comfortable with anything, the 2nd Amendment (and so much more), is dependent on one aging overweight black male, who is the only one holding up America right now.  When he goes.. it's not going to be good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:51:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#25]
I will never participate in the SBR forum!!!!
Oh wait.

Crazy misinformation.
As LE posted, have options.  
And know your options.  

Putting a brace on a SBR may confuse the cop.
It may or may not change SBR to pistol.  Depends on what SBR started out as.  Only because the SBR no longer has a stock on it.

Installing a brace does not turn any AR config into a pistol.  
Again, know the bullshit Fatf rules.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Mostly this, but more broader than that specifically.  Who knows what the next 20+ years holds.  Having a few guns all legally registered may be a good call should they close the NFA, and then a couple years ban everything not in the NFA.  (Think 1986 MG Ban).   While at the same time, having a few guns NOT in the NFA, isn't a bad idea if things take a weird turn there, like if they change NFA law to become more onerous and require training, annual renewals, capriciously decide once-an-SBR-always-an-SBR, whatever, etc.  And then there's the state level rules on Pistol vs SBR vs Rifle that can very from state to state.  Having AR's that "you can be this, and you can be that", is a good idea.   Having 20 is pretty much a waste, if you're looking to simplify; but having at least one in each category, is probably a good hedge against an unknown tomorrow.  

Don't get too comfortable with anything, the 2nd Amendment (and so much more), is dependent on one aging overweight black male, who is the only one holding up America right now.  When he goes.. it's not going to be good.
View Quote

So what you are saying is that the future is unpredictable. The ATF makes up the rules as they go along. The 2nd ammendment is not protected?

Just screwing with you, you have some good points. Options are a nice thing to have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
No reason to get rid of lowers and lots of reasons to keep them. I wouldn't sell shit
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Yes. It can only be a SBR while it’s actually a SBR. With a 16”+ barrel it’s just another rifle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

That’s what I thought, cuz that’s what I do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

After that, all you’ve gotta do is swap a brace onto it and it’s back to being a pistol.
View Quote

But a stripped lower is not registered as a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Ehhh,  I’d rather they not know all what rifles I have. I wouldn’t register more than I had to.

The real power play for the non-FFL:

Only own several homemade 80% ARs
Put identical markings on all of them.
Register one of them as an SBR

Congratulations… All your ARs are registered SBRs
View Quote

Wouldn't they have to be serialized? They would have different serial numbers
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

You build them as pistols first and then SBR them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 8:15:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#32]

View Quote
Isn't a stripped lower just that on the 4473?  And if I recall, you can designate, or at least you used to be able to, the stripped lower is a pistol?

I did that several times, designating as a pistol, before they changed the rule. Because I was booking out a lower, and said quickly to the FFL to make sure that he designated it as a pistol. He says it's just designated as a component, or something like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#33]
It was always just a receiver but the old forms didn’t have a way to reflect that and only had handgun/long gun/both so you or your dealer chose. None of it matched the law and they finally changed the forms to reflect that.

It was when they realized/decided that people under 21 couldn’t buy receivers frames and even pistol grip only shotguns.

None of it makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 3:54:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCARed] [#34]
Finally changed the forms? That would have had to be over 15yrs ago. Cause back then the 4473 still would have been marked as "Receiver" or "Other".
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SCARed:
Finally changed the forms? That would have had to be over 15yrs ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCARed:
Finally changed the forms? That would have had to be over 15yrs ago.
@ALASKANFIRE has it right.

"Finally" is correct, since they didn't change that from 1968 to 2008, so 40 years later (16 years ago now).

Originally Posted By dana:
So what you are saying is that the future is unpredictable. The ATF makes up the rules as they go along. The 2nd amendment is not protected?
Sadly, all that is also correct.

Registering your lowers (really your SBRs) as SBRs just give more lawful options regarding configuration.

The "brace stuff" also had the net effect of causing a bunch of registered SBRs to not be required to have any additional engraving present.
So if yours is absent, it's unlikely anyone would care (although it's still a requirement for the maker to mark them).
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I started selling guns in the early 2000’s and did my final stint just after they changed the forms. I say finally because I sold so many frames and receivers before other was an option. Still have a Rock River lower that’s marked Pistol or Handgun I can’t remember because nobody really knew what to do in the early days of AR pistols and they wanted to cover their ass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 8:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#37]
Still have a Rock River lower that’s marked Pistol or Handgun I can’t remember because nobody really knew what to do in the early days of AR pistols and they wanted to cover their ass.
View Quote
Several stripped lowers were offered back then with PISTOL markings. I avoided them because I thought they looked silly, but I remember transferring a few.

This was also around the time MULTI started showing up on AR lowers. Quite a few FFLs were incorrectly logging that under the Caliber field.
Top Top