Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2024 12:49:08 PM EDT
Designed to be used on A2 flash hiders without removing the crush washers.  Seems like it’s a gate-lock attachment with tapering overbored baffles that open up as you go out toward the endcap so you don’t get baffle strikes from misalignment.  Seems like an interesting way to deal with the issue, but I wonder what the performance loss is compared to a similar can with uniform 5.56 bore sized baffles.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Would definitely be interesting to hear a sound test or decibel comparison. Seems like it’s aimed at people who want a suppressor without having to change things around, or at agencies that can’t change up their configurations.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:Seems like it’s aimed at people who want a suppressor without having to change things around, or at agencies that can’t change up their configurations.
View Quote

For me, it seems like the ideal "loaner" can to bring along when you're shooting with someone who doesn't have a suppressor yet but does have an AR with the ubiquitous A2 flash hider installed. (Which in my experience is a LOT of people.) I'll be getting an FDE A2S-QD in the next month or so. It'll replace my 30SD-K loaner, which I'll dedicate to a 7.62x39 upper.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

For me, it seems like the ideal "loaner" can to bring along when you're shooting with someone who doesn't have a suppressor yet but does have an AR with the ubiquitous A2 flash hider installed. (Which in my experience is a LOT of people.) I'll be getting an FDE A2S-QD in the next month or so. It'll replace my 30SD-K loaner, which I'll dedicate to a 7.62x39 upper.
View Quote

I see that as a use too. FYI though, if it’s like the Gate Lok on the QD blast shield I had, it requires A2s with the slots cut to spec. I had at least one A2 that wasn’t compatible. So just be aware that not every A2 may work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m wondering how deep the blast chamber is, if it will work on the extended A2s used for 14.5 pinned and welded guns?
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m interested in the M4SD-L gate lok but I’ll take a look at this

I’ve got a lot of taper mounts so I wanted an Explorr but something new might be fun and it would live on one host
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#7]
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:

View Quote
the 30SDk is really good hard use can…love mine.
Originally Posted By willi3d:
I’m wondering how deep the blast chamber is, if it will work on the extended A2s used for 14.5 pinned and welded guns?
View Quote
My Gate-Lok cans require the A2 to be to regular size. There’s a support ring inside the can that indexes on the mouth of the flash hider. I don’t know whether that’s true for the A2S-QD. @Green-0 would be able to answer that. I think Griffin sells a 3-prong that might work. I’ve got a few of their old closed tine flash hiders and like them so much that I even have one on a SBR.

In other news, my M4SD-L got approved. Stoked to receive that one. Got a batch approval with 4 cans, and its the one I’m most excited about. Interestingly, I filed it as an individual, and the other 3 are Single-Shot trusts.

I’m very curious to hear more about the tapered bore on this one. Might see if my SOT can order one for me to look at.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Green0:

The A2SQD has a detented collar, the gate is like .109” thickness so all A2 comps work, the collar is tightened and compresses the gate into the grooves front face, pinching the A2 into a diametrical flange in front so the unit is rigid and aligned to the A2. This way the gate doesn’t get shit hammered by the excessive tolerance at the groove required to interface minority European A2’s made closer to low limit of the nato print at times.

We made one edit and replaced two of the baffles in the back of the can (that were already manufactured but not yet assembly welded), with one more durable baffle that had the weight of the pair, this dropped the already low backpressure, and added durability for the target customers which are military end users who want cans but can’t administratively or that organizationally do not want to modify the rifles.

Devices longer than A2 will not work.  Our closed tine, and hammer comp devices will interface and the hammer comps improve suppression a little vs std A2’s. I tested the A2SQD on a unmodified factory 14.5 mid mounted on an A2 with m193 for a US government agency inquiry last week, and AHAAH weekly dosing numbers were 72rds muzzle, 37rds left ear, 26 rds right ear. Those numbers are about 40% higher muzzle, and approximately identical ear to the NT4 we tested on a 16” mid gas barrel.

Peak rise and fall happen in about 3 ms, indicating the can has a pretty high flow rate which is supported by near zero perception of gas in the face.

Flash reduction is pretty solid, as it has our new flash suppressor like the Recce 5K, but in a short tine version on account of the can being a little longer.

View Quote

Nice, sounds great!
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the concept. I just wish it was lighter. I won't even look at a 5.56 suppressor over 14 oz anymore.

I'm not f'ing up the balance of my rifle just to put a can on it. Not when there are a ton of lighter weight 5.56 cans on the market these days.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#12]

This product wasn’t designed or targeted at consumers, but is available due to a desire not to offend anyone.

With the military doing ridiculously abusive tests that require special non std issue platforms like the 416 to conduct because they will break a DI platform, and purchasing 22 ounce NT4’s, the 19.5 ounce weight is lighter than NT4, and similar system weight to units like the RC2 which mount to 4.7 ounce flash hiders and weigh 17.2 ounces without the flash suppressor.

So while I will totally agree that the weight is heavy, this is driven by the excessively abusive tests being conducted that have no relationship to any combat reality and are decided in a lab by people who aren’t typically soldiers or operators.

We gave the government agency freedom to tell us if they would like length or weight specifications to change and told them what options we had and how that would affect performance, so if they prefer a different direction that is available to them.

If a government customer orders changes that reduce weight, that will drive development which may make an alternate configuration available for consumers.

Another obvious reality is that A2 mounts are heavy, and A2 compensators are light, so a direct comparison to other market muzzle device attached options can essentially delete ~3 ounces of weight from any A2 mount can, and 16.5 ounces isn’t quite as heavy of a number.
View Quote

Yeah, I remember you mentioning this can a while back and saying it was designed for the requirements dictated by the professionals.  I get that.

That said, I do wish there was something like this that is lighter. Currently to fit this use case, I'm using an EA ARX (my lightest can) with a Griffin A2 adapter for 1.375X24. The ARX is slightly over bored, though probably not as much as the A2S-QD.  I'm also willing to use shims on my A1/A2 muzzle devices and have done away with all my crush washers. This works well for me on clone ARs, and also my 5.56 AKs.  But I'd prefer something lighter and with the mount integrated.   Just wishing.

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 10:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#13]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
It kind of sounds like the message to the consumer is don’t buy this one because there will likely be a lighter Gen 2 one coming out soon.  People who jumped on the first one won’t be happy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#15]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
It kind of sounds like the message to the consumer is don’t buy this one because there will likely be a lighter Gen 2 one coming out soon.  People who jumped on the first one won’t be happy.
View Quote

There is always something better around the corner. That's progress.

Not buying something available now, because something you like better might (or might not) be available next year, or the following year is stupid.

Hoping things will stay the same because you've invested in the product that is available today, is stupid.

If everyone was afraid of this, all we'd have is long 20oz cans with good muzzle dBs, but high back pressure and a fixed proprietary mount.

Companies have to keep improving their cans. Someone has to buy their previous model, or they won't have the money to move forward.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 1:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I’d blame the absolutely absurd accelerated durability testing the military likes. It’s unrealistic, because it’s also damaging the host weapon (even a 416), it is beyond the published and hopefully trained rates of fire for the host weapon, and waaaaay beyond the amount of ammo a combatant can carry or be quickly resupplied with.

And that’s why a NT4 feels like a boat anchor hanging off the muzzle of a M4A1. Because it is hella sprint durable….I’ve put one on a Mk46 and dumped belts abusively. I’m not saying it’s a bad can, just that it’s chonky. Because it was designed for dumb shit like that.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#18]
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I do blame the absurd accelerated durability tests.
View Quote

Speaking of durability, how do you decide whether or not to incorporate stellite or inconel into a design? For example, the HRT and A2S are both hard-use cans, but only one uses inconel and the other doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 8:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#22]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
I’d blame the absolutely absurd accelerated durability testing the military likes. It’s unrealistic, because it’s also damaging the host weapon (even a 416), it is beyond the published and hopefully trained rates of fire for the host weapon, and waaaaay beyond the amount of ammo a combatant can carry or be quickly resupplied with.

And that’s why a NT4 feels like a boat anchor hanging off the muzzle of a M4A1. Because it is hella sprint durable….I’ve put one on a Mk46 and dumped belts abusively. I’m not saying it’s a bad can, just that it’s chonky. Because it was designed for dumb shit like that.

View Quote
Agree 100%

I despise when things are designed to meet unrealistic goals and then we have to live with the caveats incurred by those fantasy goals, yet reap no benefit from it.

There are times when good enough is indeed good enough.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#23]

I know a recon marine who kicked doors in the falujha offensive and he averaged 1.3 rds a minute for four hours, and he was at times doing failure drills on two targets in a room (aka perhaps 6 rds a target). He was twice wounded in that time and that ultimately forced a need for medical attention before he expended his 13 mags completely.

He could have run a 10.5 ounce can under those circumstances without even pushing it hard, but he had a 22 ounce can- the medical issue that took him out of the fight temporarily was related to the speed of engagement of two targets in one room, so maybe it even came down to the 12 ounces of can slowing the transition just enough for that to happen.
View Quote

That's a scary thought.  I wish the guys who say "just work out more" in regards to heavy cans could all read and understand this.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#24]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Production volume, if the can was selected and the whole suppress the Army M4 inventory thing happened, would have to be absurdly high.  People in procurement already said the cost that project could weather would not be high.  So some of the design emphasis had to do with potential speed of production if something like that actually materialized.  And very little of the speed of production (almost Zero) is integrated right now as this is just a concept.  Some of the manufacturing technologies neccessary to ultimately cost reduce the design are only reachable at volumes of more than 100,000 components in an order, and would likely involve subcontractors who specialize in ultra high volume production.

The project may never happen, and our likelihood of winning it if it did is low because we just haven't been here 40 years and made all the inroads.  But we didn't plan for it to be impossible to meet the requirements if the volume happened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Production volume, if the can was selected and the whole suppress the Army M4 inventory thing happened, would have to be absurdly high.  People in procurement already said the cost that project could weather would not be high.  So some of the design emphasis had to do with potential speed of production if something like that actually materialized.  And very little of the speed of production (almost Zero) is integrated right now as this is just a concept.  Some of the manufacturing technologies neccessary to ultimately cost reduce the design are only reachable at volumes of more than 100,000 components in an order, and would likely involve subcontractors who specialize in ultra high volume production.

The project may never happen, and our likelihood of winning it if it did is low because we just haven't been here 40 years and made all the inroads.  But we didn't plan for it to be impossible to meet the requirements if the volume happened.

Appreciate the context, thanks. Design for manufacturing is neat stuff.

I believe the fully outfitted rifle is 14 lbs without a loaded magazine, which is 4.5 lbs more than a WWII m1-garand rifle.  It is 2.25lbs heavier than a 1928 thompson with loaded 30 rd stick magazine, and the 1928 was great but its a total pig for weight in the smg category.

Got to handle an M27 recently, and sure it's cool and all, but I don't envy the Marines as much any more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 5:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#26]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#27]

A lot of people at modern day marine were talking about the IAR system being too heavy for practical use. It was a common topic of unsolicited conversation. The rifle, as well as the vcog, and the NT4, and light/laser are all heavier than average devices in their classes.  

I believe the fully outfitted rifle is 14 lbs with a loaded 30rd magazine vcog, nt4, and peq16b, which is 4.5 lbs more than a WWII m1-garand rifle.  It is 2.25lbs heavier than a 1928 thompson with loaded 30 rd stick magazine, and the 1928 was great but its a total pig for weight in the smg category.  It is important to note the center of gravity on the Thompson was more rearward than on the outfitted IAR with the can out on the end of a 16” barrel and a lot of the weight in the vicinity of the barrel.
View Quote

I've read comments from a lot of guys in WWII ETO who hated the Thompson due to the weight. The guys in the Pacific seemed to like it more. Maybe because of generally shorter range combat and they didn't have to hump it as far on the small islands.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I like the concept. I just wish it was lighter. I won't even look at a 5.56 suppressor over 14 oz anymore.

I'm not f'ing up the balance of my rifle just to put a can on it. Not when there are a ton of lighter weight 5.56 cans on the market these days.

View Quote

Have you seen the M4SD-L?
Only .5oz heavier than what you’re looking for.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:38:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:52:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#30]

I saw hackathorn argue that but my grandpa had to hump a BAR in the phillipines, so thats a good reminder it can always get worse. The bar is like the least ergonomic gun ever especially with the bipod up front.
View Quote
From everything I've read, guys liked the BAR.  I think it was due to the heavy firepower in a package a lot more compact than the M1919. A few bursts of 30-06 AP chews through a lot of impromptu cover.

I'm not sure if I saw Hackathorn say that about the Thomson or if I read it somewhere else.  I recently read a really good book titled "US Infantry Weapons in Combat, Personal Experiences from WWII and Korea" by Mark G. Goodwin.  I highly recommend it.

You're right about the controllability of the Thompson though. And an accurate burst of 45ACP ball has got to be pretty deadly at close range. It was definitely a very effective weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:46:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:10:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#32]

My grandfather said if so much as a squirrel made a move he would drop 20 rds on it.  He mentioned in the jungle the Japanese would often hide really well and attack at point blank range so it was pretty chaotic.  He fired what he estimated to be 1440 rounds in combat until finally he lived in the Malinta tunnel before the surrender of Bataan and he had 23 confirmed kills. He never fired a rifle after the war (had made a decision never to pick up a rifle again), but had a Browning A-5 shotgun and hunted pheasants.  His army buddy was in a competition, saying whoever had the most confirmed kills would win the pay of the other guy. At the surrender it was 23 to 21 with my grandfather in the lead. He mentioned nobody ever paid- possibly the other guy didn't survive. FDR screwed them over by not re-supplying the Phillipines- they didn't have to lose the Philippines to the Japanese, but FDR was preoccupied with getting involved in Europe.

He was tortured by the Japanese and he hated them his whole life.  I remember visiting him in the hospital at a point and he was unconscious and I could see cigarette burns all over his legs and a scar where a Japanese interrogator had gouged a decent size disfiguring chunk of his thigh out with the buttstock of an Arisaka rifle.  He had been an Army medic by MOS ( 6'2" 235lbs and had been tasked to carry the BAR because of his size).  He had a veterinary medicine book in the camp and and was studying to be a veterinarian (what he did when he got back to the US aside from college on the GI bill and playing football for the Michigan state Spartans).  A few prisoners needed surgeries and he performed successful surgeries in the prison camp and got a bronze star for that.  It would have been cool to hear a little more but he only ever said a few sentences to me, so most of what I know is from my dad. Ironically he did tell me he joined the Army in 1939 because he thought there would be a war with Germany and he was the son of a WWI veteran- my great grandfather who had convinced him to stay the fuck out of the Army, and he volunteered for the Philippines because it was half a world away from Europe, figuring it was a good survival strategy.

I tell my kids the same- stay out of the Army.  But I realize taking them to Benning for the international sniper competition and letting them watch the mortar competitions with the mortarmen and working in the firearms industry isn't maybe the best way to ensure they never think about it.  

On another note, we've sold only a small number of A2SQD's and one of the first customers is the US Army- a very small order from dog handlers.  Cool.
View Quote

Congrats on the Army order!  Maybe it will lead to more.

Man that's rough about your grandpa. The Japanese were hell on prisoners. I think it was a cultural Bushido thing. They had a real contempt for anyone who got captured alive, regardless of the circumstance.

I once worked very closely with an old guy who was captured by the Chinese at the battle of Chosin in Korea. He didn't talk much about it, but what he did say was hard to hear. Actually it was pretty rough even before he got captured. He was a tough old guy and was apparently a tough young guy too.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:34:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
On another note, we've sold only a small number of A2SQD's and one of the first customers is the US Army- a very small order from dog handlers.  Cool.
View Quote

If you could get their PAO to send you some photos, that'd be marketing gold. People like dogs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I don’t really think it would be professional to ask, and like I said a very small order, but I do appreciate that it resonated with soldiers so quickly.
View Quote

Fair enough. Still, it'd be pretty cool to see them in use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top