BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#1]
Pfft!, a mere 198.  Is that all?  

That was some great shooting, no doubt about it.  

My comment was about group size, nothing more.  Several others have 2+ MOA groups, myself included.

I'll post photos once the testing is done, perhaps next week.

It is forecast to be ~95 degrees at the range next week.  Not too bad, really, I've been up there on work parties when it was 105.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Fresh barrels really help.

Old (high round count) barrels sometimes will put up a very good group. But old barrels can be very ammunition sensitive.

The barrel in that ShotMarker screenshot was early in its life.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1/8" twist Krieger on my AR match rifle I will use for testing.  It has very few rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're interested in this bullet, stay tuned.  I will post pics and numbers tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:09:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toddles] [#5]
I have not tried to optimize RMR 69s, but I find that I can very lazily throw something together and get 1-1.5 MOA without any effort.

Here's my current batch of blasting ammo:
Mixed brass; no trimming
24.5 - 24.6 grains Ramshot Xterminator
2.230" OAL
Crimped

Shot this yesterday @ 100 yards. Solid square is 1 inch. I've gotten similar results using H335 and SW Tac Rifle.

I'm happy with that for 14 - 15 cents w/ zero effort involved. However, Midsouth has 77s and 75s for 20 cents that I just started playing with this week.

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Toddles:
I have not tried to optimize RMR 69s, but I find that I can very lazily throw something together and get 1-1.5 MOA without any effort.

Here's my current batch of blasting ammo:
Mixed brass; no trimming
24.5 - 24.6 grains Ramshot Xterminator
2.230" OAL
Crimped

Shot this yesterday @ 100 yards. Solid square is 1 inch. I've gotten similar results using H335 and SW Tac Rifle.

I'm happy with that for 14 - 15 cents w/ zero effort involved. However, Midsouth has 77s and 75s for 20 cents that I just started playing with this week.

https://i.imgur.com/yLM5M6b.jpeg
View Quote
I've not put a ton of effort in either but seem to get 1-1.5 MOA with SW Tactical Rifle and am happy with it. I saw those Midsouth 77's the other day and was tempted to buy a couple thousand for my 8# jug of staball match equivalent, but didn't know if they'd be worth it over more RMR 69gr or 75gr. I've also still got 3k 69gr to get loaded.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 2:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
69 gr RMR HPBT bullet
12 rounds fired at 100 yards,
No correction for wind was attempted (multiple mph wind shifts evident in photo)
24.0 gr TAC, WSR primer, R-P cases
Top two fliers are 100% my fault (called).

Group is 0.63 MOA (worst case spread, C-C)

While not the RMR bullet, I bought these "factory seconds" in an attempt to keep costs down.  I'm showing them as a visual and quantitative reference (a benchmark).  IMO, the RMR bullet is a superior approach at cost cutting, as long as you are okay with its ballistic limitations (it is only 69 gr).  

77 gr Factory Seconds (Powder Valley)
10 rounds fired at 100 yards,
No correction for wind was attempted
23.5 gr TAC, WSR primer, PSD cases
No fliers (called or otherwise)

Group is 1.13 MOA (worst case spread, C-C)

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
12 rounds fired at 100 yards,
No correction for wind was attempted (multiple mph wind shifts evident in photo)
69 gr RMR HPBT bullet, 24.0 gr TAC, WSR primer, R-P cases
Top two fliers are 100% my fault (called).

Group is 0.63 MOA wide (worst case spread, C-C)

https://i.ibb.co/Ytx9Q5r/69-RNR-12-Rds-100-yd.jpg
View Quote

Holy Hannah that's nice shooting.

I guess for the cost I'm glad I bought 1500.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#10]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
Holy Hannah that's nice shooting.

I guess for the cost I'm glad I bought 1500.
View Quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  Shooting is fun.

I updated the post after you guys posted, so take a look at the other bullet I tested.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Toddles:
View Quote

Agreed.  My first attempt used 23.5 because that's what I use for my 75's.  I simply upped that to 24.0 because W_E_G does it - no "science" (no optimization); just do it.  

It was easy (and fun).
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top