Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2024 11:56:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Balloo]
Awhile back I decided I wanted to do dual band thermal/NV.  I already had a nice Elbit Gen3 WP I picked up from JRH so I started looking for a small thermal.  My budget was not huge, so that narrowed my options.  I found the Rayvn bridge and decided that the Armasight Sidekick320 was the perfect option.  I picked one up and was not impressed by the image quality.  I have a AGM Rattler T35-384 and the image quality was much better than the Sidekick.

At that point I ordered a Sidekick640, but as usual with Opticsplanet, it kept getting pushed out.  So I ended up getting a AGM StingIR640.  I have been very impressed with the StingIR640.  I use it 100% helmet mounted on the Rayvn bridge.  At first, I used the ModArmory mini rail adapter, but currently am using the Goblin Tactical adapter.  The ModArmory has more adjustability as far as positioning the body forward or back, but the Goblin Tactical is a little lower profile so it aligns with the PVS14 a little better.  I have the StingIR640 collimated 99% to the PVS14 and it's great.

Recently I have been looking at the Sidekick640 due to the sanctions on AGM.  I wanted another helemt mounted thermal anyway so that occationally my kids could use it was well.  I picked up the Sidekick640 and have had it a few days.  I have not had the time to really tweak it, but I have been using the presets (ie Forest, Indoor, ect).  It doesn't come with a helemt mount.  I rolled the dice and picked up a older cheap Armasight mount from optics planet.  It works, but far from elegant and has limitted adjustability, but works.  I had to put a small bumper on the lower support arm to keep it from moving and make it a little more level.

Mount  https://www.opticsplanet.com/armasight-shroud-helmet-mount-183.html

So here are my observations so far...  

StingIR640
Good:
Better resolution/Image quality
Option for weapon mount
Comes with helmet, scope, and weapon mount
Comes with a battery extender for CR123 and one for 18650
Buttons are smoother/softer
Mode options are easier to cycle through (simple click to cycle through them)
Ocular lense has more adjustment range

Negative:
Doesn't have onboard video or image capture option
Sanctions on AGM will make it more difficult for parts/support
China made

Sidekick640
Good:
Iamge quality is good (very usable)
Comes with battery extender for 2 CR123 or 16650 batteries
Onboard Video and Image capture options
American made

Negative:
Doesn't come with a helmet mount
Is not weapon rated
Buttons are much firmer
Mode options are not as easy to cycle through (click hold to cycle through them)
Menu navagations not as easy (this could just be the fact I haven't used it as much)
Shorter Ocular adjustment range

Keep in mind that as per usual, the captured images/video are sharper/cleaner when looking through the optic real time.  Pics taken with stupid high humidity on a 85F night.  No images of the StingIR as I haven't quite figured out how to capture with it.

Trail

Deer in open field

Deer bedded down in the trees off the trail.  Almost impossible to spot with NV unless under supplimental IR.  Moon had not risen high enough to give any light.

Rabbits

Still figuring out how to get shots through the PVS14.  Moon just starting to rise.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice! The 640 class is outstanding on long range detection and ID. I got to play around with their Contractor 640 thermal scope and loved it.
Predator Vision: Armasight Contractor 640 Thermal Scope Review
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
So using the sidekick more as a handheld.  The mount I bought is not all that great.  It will require some modification to get it more useable.  The image quality of the Sidekick is good, as mentioned, but the StingIR is just better.  The sidekick is still very useable and the fact it takes pics and video easily is awesome.

Used Youtube to host this video of deer at approx 60yrds away and me walking toward them.

I will try to get some pics of the two next to each other, but the StingIR is also smaller.  If I had the cash I would (hell maybe next year if they get unsanctioned, I will) get another one and run dual thermals on eth Rayvn bridge.

Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple more videos of the park from a few days ago.

Sidekick640 Searight Deer approx 150yrds

Sidekick640 Searight Deer and dog Walker

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top