Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2024 3:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC]
I’ve got a 10/22 I need to throw a threaded barrel and new stock on. It’s primary job will be silent muskrat whacker so needs to be accurate enough to handle that out to around 60-70 yards. Not looking to spend a bunch but I don’t have a budget.

Recommendations for a stock to fit the barrel above and have good cheek weld for a scope would also be appreciated.

All done. Acculite 16.5”, X22 Hunter, BX22 Ruger trigger and vortex crossfire 2, huntertown suppressor I had laying around. Thanks for the help fellas. Going to zero it on Friday.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: It took me 4 months from the original post to get this done. God damn I procrastinate a lot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you want light, medium or heavy? Feddersen's got you covered for all three.

Volquartsen laminate sporter stocks are the best I've used. Boyds are popular, but the fit and finish kinda sucks. No experience with any 10/22 chassis.

My Feddersen heavy taper threaded barrel in a Volquartsen stock:

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pomyluy:
Do you want light, medium or heavy? Feddersen's got you covered for all three.

Volquartsen laminate sporter stocks are the best I've used. Boyds are popular, but the fit and finish kinda sucks. No experience with any 10/22 chassis.

My Feddersen heavy taper threaded barrel in a Volquartsen stock:

https://i.imgur.com/WfFzetX.jpg
View Quote

Barrel profile will probably be determined by suppressor diameter so I’m assuming it’ll probably be a heavy barrel. Thanks for the recommendation. Sweet rifle!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#3]
If you need absolute .22LR accuracy for the 10/22 (or any other .22LR) the answer is Lilja.  They make the barrels for virtually all national and international competition winning rifles, including Olympic competition.

Expect to pay about $500 for one of their barrels.  Perhaps a bit more to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor.  They have multiple profiles and lengths for 10/22 drop in barrels. Or, they can make anything you want.  Custom barrels do have a 10-12 week wait list.  Drop in barrels in the most common profiles are in dtick and ready to ship.  These barrels have match chambers, but will still cycle semi-auto reliably if the ammo is clean.

I have one of their AR15/M4 16" NSWC SEAL Recce barrels in .223 Wylde on my precision AR.  It is sub 1/2 MOA capable with my match handloads.  Heck, the limiting factor is me.  I don't know how deeply sub 1/2 MOA it could be with someone better behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MS556:
If you need absolute .22LR accuracy for the 10/22 (or any other .22LR) the answer is Lilja.  They make the barrels for virtually all national and international competition winning rifles, including Olympic competition.

Expect to pay about $500 for one of their barrels.  Perhaps a bit more to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor.  They have multiple profiles and lengths for 10/22 drop in barrels. Or, they can make anything you want.  Custom barrels do have a 10-12 week wait list.  Drop in barrels in the most common profiles are in dtick and ready to ship.  These barrels have match chambers, but will still cycle semi-auto reliably if the ammo is clean.

I have one of their AR15/M4 16" NSWC SEAL Recce barrels in .223 Wylde on my precision AR.  It is sub 1/2 MOA capable with my match handloads.  Heck, the limiting factor is me.  I don't know how deeply sub 1/2 MOA it could be with someone better behind the trigger.
View Quote

Sorry for the late response, but I appreciate the suggestion. For me, anything 1MOA is more that fine for my application so these may be more than what I need but I will look into them when I get a chance.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SERVED_USMC:
I’ve got a 10/22 I need to throw a threaded barrel and new stock on. It’s primary job will be silent muskrat whacker so needs to be accurate enough to handle that out to around 60-70 yards. Not looking to spend a bunch but I don’t have a budget.

Recommendations for a stock to fit the barrel above and have good cheek weld for a scope would also be appreciated.

View Quote

If you're on a budget and don't chase benchrest accuracy you can take a deepwell socket and wrap sandpaper around it to open up the barrel channel on an OEM wood stock.  I did that with this one and it's a ragged hole machine:

Attachment Attached File

On that I stripped the whole thing, stained it, and refinished it with boiled linseed oil.  Or you could just hit the sanded areas with some tru-oil or something else and call it good.  If you don't like it all you're out is some elbow grease and some sand paper.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#6]
I bought a Tac-Sol barrel from Optics Planet I’m pretty happy with. Can’t say it was cheap but looks great and is threaded 1/2x28 and is very light which makes for a handy rifle.

Comes in 4-5 different colors.

When building my 10/22 I used almost all Kidd parts on a Volquartzen receiver.
I went with the Tac-Sol barrel because the specific barrel I wanted from Kidd was OOS and I was itching to build.
Pleased with my decision.

This is the barrel but as I said above I bought from OP, it was in stock and on sale.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a GM on my "serious" 10/22 target rifle. Victor stock, arken 34mm scope, power custom internals.

I needed a threaded barrel for a handy quiet varmint slayer and snagged a cheap keystone barrel off ebay.  I have been very surprised with it's performance.  It's within a 1/4moa of the GM at 100yds with SKLR.  Shot it sunday with the 3" Tacsol suppressor and it dropped 10 rounds into a group you could cover with a quarter at 100.  Ran the kyl twice at 50 without a miss.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#8]
you might check out whistlepig barrels too.  The website is www.acculite22.com  They are the lightweight aluminum barrel with SST barrel liner similar to Beyer, Kidd, et. Al.  I bought a couple of his barrels for CZ457s I have.  They are super handy and they shoot great.  They are 0.920" dia.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If all you’re looking for is 1 MOA around 70 yds, Green Mountain will get you there easily, Fedderson and Kidd would be my next choices and they are in order by price with the GM barrel being the lowest cost.  What is going to be the major factor in grouping that well, will be the ammo.  I’m sure you know, .22 bulk or even semi premium ammo does not group all that well.  Even with something like CCI, you could drop 5 shots touch and then have a flyer 2in away.

The Magpul stock is nice and comes with different cheek risers you can install. It has a tiny bit of flex. The Victor Titan stock is super rigid.  Both free float the barrel.  Torque the action screw to around 18-20 in lbs, don’t just crank it down.

Install a Ruger BX trigger or Kidd trigger kit.  Either will make a huge difference over a factory trigger group.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MackDaddy1962] [#10]
I've had good luck with my Pike Arms SS 16.5" threaded taper barrel Not a benchrest dime hole shooter, but that's not it's intent. Works fine with all of my .22 cans (Q El Camino, Rugged Oculus, Dead Air Mask.)

Recently decided to do a stupid light offhand shooter rig. Swapped the Pike Arms with a Summit Precision CF 16.1" barrel. Yet to shoot it, but should work just as well. Dropped the new rig weight from 4lb 10.4oz to 4lb 4.0oz Happy with that.

You could do a good rig fairly cheap. The Magpul MOE X-22 stock is ~$75, the Pike Arms barrel is ~$120. SP CF barrel a bit more, but that CF is super nice.

The way it sits now, I could even swap in a Leupold VX 3-9x33 EFR scope and the weight would still be awesome. Sub 6lbs scoped.

Edit: Just saw you need a good cheek weld too. The Magpul stock would need some help there. I know there some butt stock riser pads out there. I may need that too if I scope this one.

Old setup

New CF barrel setup

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve been procrastinating putting something together since I made the post, but I’ll take a look into the suggestions. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Finally got off my ass and got everything ordered. Went with the Hunter X22 (had some cabelas gift cards) and the acculite 16.5” threaded bull barrel. Found a new-used  BX22 trigger on the EE last week for a good price as well.

I’ll post some pictures when I get it all together.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MackDaddy1962:
I've had good luck with my Pike Arms SS 16.5" threaded taper barrel Not a benchrest dime hole shooter, but that's not it's intent. Works fine with all of my .22 cans (Q El Camino, Rugged Oculus, Dead Air Mask.)

Recently decided to do a stupid light offhand shooter rig. Swapped the Pike Arms with a Summit Precision CF 16.1" barrel. Yet to shoot it, but should work just as well. Dropped the new rig weight from 4lb 10.4oz to 4lb 4.0oz Happy with that.

You could do a good rig fairly cheap. The Magpul MOE X-22 stock is ~$75, the Pike Arms barrel is ~$120. SP CF barrel a bit more, but that CF is super nice.

The way it sits now, I could even swap in a Leupold VX 3-9x33 EFR scope and the weight would still be awesome. Sub 6lbs scoped.

Edit: Just saw you need a good cheek weld too. The Magpul stock would need some help there. I know there some butt stock riser pads out there. I may need that too if I scope this one.

Old setup

https://media.fotki.com/2v2e8WpPrx9T3R.jpg

New CF barrel setup

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eMumEqx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eMumHFx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2eMumZ5x9T3R.jpg
View Quote

I know this rifle from Rimfire!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:I know this rifle from Rimfire!!!
View Quote

Good eye!
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Update 1st post
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Topper1] [#16]
Nice looking set up!

Once you get everything zeroed do a favor for me and let me know if you get a major 1st round cold bore shift.

I also have a huntertown suppressor and have a 1"-1.5" cold bore point of impact change at 25 yds.

Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Topper1:
Nice looking set up!

Once you get everything zeroed do a favor for me and let me know if you get a major 1st round cold bore shift.

I also have a huntertown suppressor and have a 1"-1.5" cold bore point of impact change at 25 yds.

View Quote

I’ll keep that in mind and let you know. What ammo?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Topper1:
Nice looking set up!

CCI SV shooting a TC R22

I like the ammo, rifle and suppressor but it seems to be a bad combo. Haven't gotten back to trouble shooting the problem.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SERVED_USMC] [#19]
@Topper1

I suspect you have an ammo/barrel compatibility issue. My barrel absolutely hates the federal bulk pack ammo that I initially wanted to zero with. Got it close to bullseye at 50 yards but was still shooting up to 2-2.5” groups.

Switched to gemtech sub sonic ammo and was punching a ragged hole. No POA/POI shift cold bore with the subs. Going to experiment with some other non-sub ammo to see if there is something it likes better but I doubt I’ll find something that does as well.

ETA: This is the first 10/22 I’ve modified so I’m not as well versed as others, but I doubt the can is the issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top