Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2024 10:42:14 AM EDT
I know, I know. All the usual admonitions for radio selection. What others have in my group. What mission, etc. I just want to know what is the toughest radio you've used, other than .mil radios, when out and about. Yaesu is fairly tough, except for adding a headset or speaker/mic. I have had Motorolas that were bricks, you could practically drive nails with them. The programming is the main problem with them.
Other than that I have no experience on how tough the newer radios are compared to each other and previous versions. Single or dual band? What's good, what's junk?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 11:27:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#1]
Check out the Ailunce HD2.

Gives you Digital Encryption and UHF. The other cool feature with that radio is that it can do text messages, why are text messages important? A Text Message has a lower Electronic Warfare (EW) signature as it essentially burst out in miliseconds making it much more dificult to detect and fix the transmission point than regular voice radio transmission, so that's a good feature to have.  

It's also IP67 waterproof and dustproof, which is pretty good.  It's a lot less expensive than say a Hytera and although a lot more expensive it is way more capable and rugged than a UV5R Baofeng. Below is a good video by Grunt Proof that he just did.  It's a good middle of the road option in terms of price, capability, and ruggedness.  You can always get something better, but it will cost you as there are radios that go up to the cost of a decent used car out there. Make sure you do follow the FCC rules as they are the law and it's not that hard to be in compliance with them.  

Digital Radio Encryption with the Ailunce HD 2
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, the EFJ/Kenwood VP600 is nicely overbuilt and holds up well to underground miners. Having a top display is really nice for both occupational and tactical use; the radio can be manipulated quite a bit without removing it from its pouch. They're discontinued and good deals come up sometimes.

Motorola programming software is also far easier to obtain than it was a decade ago, not to mention usually free. If it's within your budget, an APX in the correct bandsplit will serve you well. APX4000s and 6000ANs have come down quite a bit in price lately.

Assorted DMR stuff exists too. I've never been impressed with DMR and regret spending money on any of it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They're getting rarer but the EF Johnson 5100ES is a good option.  Is very similar overall to the Moto XTS5000 and even uses the same batteries and accessories, but the upside is that the programming software is freely available, you can enable front panel programming in the software, even on models without the full keypad, and they all can do encryption via a keyloader without needing to see if it has the right option board.

They're still mono-band, but can do analog and P25 digital.  Overall a really nice compromise between the feature sets of the older gen Moto radios, without a lot of the headaches of the Moto ecosystem.  Just make sure you get the "ES" version, the original 5100 was a dog.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yaesu VX-6R/7R has a screw in top speaker/mic. You can screw in your Disco32 PTT and use Peltors. Great setup.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Check out the Ailunce HD2.

Gives you Digital Encryption and UHF. The other cool feature with that radio is that it can do text messages, why are text messages important? A Text Message has a lower Electronic Warfare (EW) signature as it essentially burst out in miliseconds making it much more dificult to detect and fix the transmission point than regular voice radio transmission, so that's a good feature to have.  

It's also IP67 waterproof and dustproof, which is pretty good.  It's a lot less expensive than say a Hytera and although a lot more expensive it is way more capable and rugged than a UV5R Baofeng. Below is a good video by Grunt Proof that he just did.  It's a good middle of the road option in terms of price, capability, and ruggedness.  You can always get something better, but it will cost you as there are radios that go up to the cost of a decent used car out there. Make sure you do follow the FCC rules as they are the law and it's not that hard to be in compliance with them.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO0gSk1bDDI
View Quote
I like this one. The mic attachment is a Motorola M3, which I believe is water tight. It is dual band and the encryption is a nice feature.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#6]
A good pouch and placement is also just as important. Having your radio change channels when you go prone is no fun

Link Posted: 7/31/2024 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Too true. Every radio has a different lock scheme for the controls.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
I like this one. The mic attachment is a Motorola M3, which I believe is water tight. It is dual band and the encryption is a nice feature.
View Quote

Yeah, it's not a flawless perfect solution, but I think they offer us a lot for our money with it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2024 11:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#9]
I put my radio is a kydex clamshell, and then in a nylon molle pouch.

I use this one for a TYT-390. You can use the mounting options and not even use a nylon molle pouch if you want.

https://mckydex.com/messenger-radio-carrier/

(Note: I do not wear plate carriers)
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
They're getting rarer but the EF Johnson 5100ES is a good option.  Is very similar overall to the Moto XTS5000 and even uses the same batteries and accessories, but the upside is that the programming software is freely available, you can enable front panel programming in the software, even on models without the full keypad, and they all can do encryption via a keyloader without needing to see if it has the right option board.

They're still mono-band, but can do analog and P25 digital.  Overall a really nice compromise between the feature sets of the older gen Moto radios, without a lot of the headaches of the Moto ecosystem.  Just make sure you get the "ES" version, the original 5100 was a dog.
View Quote

I have several of those knocking around as well; one of them is about to go into a homebrew DVRS. They're great radios - not quite as durable as the newer stuff but still quite tough. Audio quality is much better than any XTS; the 5100ES was one of the first portables to introduce the full-rate AMBE vocoder.

I've encountered a couple of 700/800 MHz 5100ESs with a clear-only logic board and no encryption capability, but every VHF or UHF unit I've handled can be keyloaded without any hardware changes as you said. @zapzap will happily talk your ear off about the things.

Personally I use a VP6000. One of mine was new open box at a crazy discount, the other was purchased new from a dealer at a reasonable discount off list, but still quite a chunk of change. Subjectively I believe the VP600 is more durable than the 6000, but the second-generation radios massively improve power efficiency. They'll get similar runtime on a 2000mAH KNB-L1 to what a 5100ES or VP600 will deliver on a ~4100mAH pack. That's huge if you depend on packing batteries in or recharging in the field.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sabocat:

I have several of those knocking around as well; one of them is about to go into a homebrew DVRS. They're great radios - not quite as durable as the newer stuff but still quite tough. Audio quality is much better than any XTS; the 5100ES was one of the first portables to introduce the full-rate AMBE vocoder.

I've encountered a couple of 700/800 MHz 5100ESs with a clear-only logic board and no encryption capability, but every VHF or UHF unit I've handled can be keyloaded without any hardware changes as you said. @zapzap will happily talk your ear off about the things.

Personally I use a VP6000. One of mine was new open box at a crazy discount, the other was purchased new from a dealer at a reasonable discount off list, but still quite a chunk of change. Subjectively I believe the VP600 is more durable than the 6000, but the second-generation radios massively improve power efficiency. They'll get similar runtime on a 2000mAH KNB-L1 to what a 5100ES or VP600 will deliver on a ~4100mAH pack. That's huge if you depend on packing batteries in or recharging in the field.
View Quote

I only have a few of them...

Link Posted: 8/3/2024 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Turns out the HD2 has a bogus type acceptance.
Must-Watch: Brutal Ailunce HD2 Radio Analysis!

Being a Karen, he will report it to the FCC. Bye bye HD2.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 5:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DisposableHero] [#13]
I just picked up an Icom IC-T10 for this purpose. I was already in pretty deep on other radios, with the Anytine 878-UVII being my go to model even over my Yaesu, but the use of a non-sealed speaker mic port bothered me.

The IC-T10 is a pretty basic radio, but it performs well at what it does. Dual band, low power consumption, IP67 rated. The speaker mic port uses a screw down type for weather sealing, too.

The Yaesu-VX-6r is also good, but I was frustrated with how little support there is for that particularly accessory port.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By zapzap:

I only have a few of them...
https://i.imgur.com/OCdmcgS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/U637Qgf.jpg
View Quote

If you ever wanna get rid of one, I want to pick one up in a usable band to play around with. It can even be shoot me orange as long as it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top