Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
11/30/2017 6:17:18 PM EDT
I didn't have an automatic, so I couldn't resist a sale on bladehq.com for a Boker Kalashnikov for $30 plus $4 shipping.  It arrived today.

The first thing I noticed is that the deployment button is very stiff and creepy.  You have to mash it pretty hard to get it to open.  When it does open, it flies out very quickly and locks with a satisfying click.

Lockup is only fair; there's a small amount of side-to-side wiggle.  It's adjustable, but I haven't tried to tighten it yet.  It's not really bad enough to be bothersome.

Jimping is OK.  It's flat, and not particularly aggressive, but there's enough of it on both the handle and blade that it should be reasonably effective.

I put a drop of oil on the button, but it didn't help.  Maybe it will loosen up with use.  But the stiffness detracts from the main reason I bought it:  because automatics are supposed to be fun to open.  My Kershaw Blur is much more satisfying in that regard.

The blade is AUS8.  Overall, I think it's a decent knife for the money, but if I had tried one beforehand, I probably wouldn't have bought it even for the low price.
11/30/2017 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a mini years ago.  That button will loosen up to the point that it opens up in your pocket.
11/30/2017 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
$34 ... what did you expect? lol

I have had several of them and really like them. I can never keep up with the neat AK mag boxes they come in. I always take mine apart and spend some time polishing all the contact points. Mine do loosen up a bit after use but I am pretty hard on them. I used some blue loctite and it seemed to do the trick. I always see the extra springs for sale when I get one but have yet to break or wear out a spring. I am wanting the Damascus dagger version they have now.

Which one did you get?
11/30/2017 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
They are great little switchblades for the money.
11/30/2017 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been carrying one for about two years. The release button smoothed up pretty quickly and works great now. It still opens good and locks up correctly. I have never had it open when I did not intend it to.

I didn’t really expect to like this knife as much as I do. I have a couple of Benchmade autos including an AFO II. For some reason I keep carrying the Boker.
12/1/2017 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That sounds like my Boker Mini Kalashnikov.  Did you get the Boker Mini Kalashnikov, or the Boker Kalashnikov?
12/1/2017 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:
That sounds like my Boker Mini Kalashnikov.  Did you get the Boker Mini Kalashnikov, or the Boker Kalashnikov?
View Quote
The Kalashnikov.  This one



I've been playing with it while I'm sitting at the computer, and it's loosened up a little.  It's starting to grow on me.
12/1/2017 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I jumped on that sale too.  I got the full size with serrated blade with the intention of giving it as a Christmas gift and I threw in a mini plain blade for me to play with.

Noticed the same thing about the stiff and gritty button on the full size, I'm going to see if it gets better with some oil and a bunch of use this weekend before I decide if it's worthy of being given as a gift or not.

The mini is definitely the star of the bunch.  The button is buttery smooth and the lock up is even more solid.  I'm in love with this knife.  Definitely the best $25 knife in my collection and checks all my boxes other than AUS-8 not being my favorite steel.  It's going to be my daily carry.
12/2/2017 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
As others have said, it'll smooth out perfectly.
I own two currently and believe they're a great value.
Put some oil on the button and play with it, it'll be fine in no time.
12/3/2017 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a mini. I only got it because Texas finally changed the law on those. Decent knife for the money. Seemed to get beat up a lot for pocket carry. Its got intimidation though. My sister in law got me a decent Kershaw Ken Onion designed knife and ive been carrying that. Recently added a fixed blade too because its faster and stronger than an auto or assist opening knife.
12/3/2017 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought the same knife from bladehq.
12/5/2017 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:
I just bought the same knife from bladehq.
View Quote
I'm ordering 3 tomorrow. One for me and two for my nephews.
12/7/2017 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 2 minis and 2 full size ones.
I think they are great values for what you get.

In my case, I had to put a drop of oil on the area of the button/shaft that goes into the frame on the opposite side when you push it. That is where the friction was coming from.

The minis are awesome for every cutting tasks.
The larger ones are a little big for my tastes.
The look very "stabby"

potato pic

Attached File
12/7/2017 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been carrying a mini for the last few months and consider it a good little knife....especially for the money.
12/8/2017 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I too bought one the bladehq. I wanted to see the difference between my home conversion and a factory version. Overall the factory is much better than my home conversion. I have carried my older one daily for years now, use it for everything, from utility to cutting steaks. It is a solid little helper. For 30-50 bucks, you can't go wrong with this "entry" level auto.
12/8/2017 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked my mini - it was a great smaller size I could pocket carry at work without looking Crazy Guy McTacticool...

My nephew seems to have "borrowed it" last time he came over on a visit.  

On a positive note, I "found" my previously missing auto opening knife, so guess he just decided to upgrade...  

It isn't a $200 custom, but gets the job done...

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor