Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2024 11:19:50 AM EDT
I want an AR in 22lr for messing around. Build or buy? Which one to buy? Consistent feeding is most important to me. I have a bolt gun for accuracy and shooting out to 250 yards. If an AR would do that that would be nice but definitely not expected. I’d be satisfied with minute of head at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Tippmann M4-22
View Quote
FPNI - these are great and good to go !  Mags are proprietary but are fantastic!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Tippmann M4-22
View Quote

This!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My M&P 15-22 runs excellent without regular cleanings.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
RTB
I use a 9” upper on a PSA lower with Blackdog and CMMG mags.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Tippmann M4-22
View Quote

These look interesting. Is the trigger gtg or need replacing? It says 4.5#.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 3:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#8]
Get a Right to Bear Arms or Nordic Components upper with black dog mags and use your AR15 lower. Right to Bear Arms is full auto compatible Nordic Components is not. Some AR22's have plastic lowers if you are unaware.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Some prefer box guns,  stone prefer to build.

I built one with a tacsol upper that I love.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I absolutely love my 15-22's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
I absolutely love my 15-22's.
View Quote

Same. Mags are cheap, it is reliable, light weight, eats everything. Only other thing I want to do is SBR mine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Build here.
8" rtb barrel. cmmg bolt.
PSA upper with 6" handguard.
LMT milspec lower.
KAK pic RE adapter.
Sig folding stock adapter.
Magpul K2 grip.
Larue MBT
Sig Romeo 5
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CavVet:
Some prefer box guns,  stone prefer to build.

I built one with a tacsol upper that I love.

View Quote

I agree I built mine, but unfortunately, Tac Sol doesn't manufacture the M4 uppers anymore.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
If you just want to plink...then any 22 kit/rifle will be fine.  If you want to actually shoot for groups, get the JP 18" 22lr kit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

View Quote

This right here. Wait, what?! You mean I'm supposed to clean it?

Hold on, be right back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Tippmann M4-22
View Quote

Interesting. I thought they only made paintball guns, if that is the same company.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W MP1522

/thread
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#19]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavy260:

Tippmann M4-22

Thing about the Tippmann's is they were the only OOTB AR-22's that were anatomically correct and uppers/lowers were all metal. Other's may have followed suit since.

Trigger feels okay to me. YMMV.

I put a DeadAir Mask on it and a LPVO ............. squirrels hate me.

Tactical 22 22lr Collection Update
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 50-140:

I agree I built mine, but unfortunately, Tac Sol doesn't manufacture the M4 uppers anymore.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0399-3303450.jpg
View Quote

It took me awhile to find one NOS, but I did.

It wasn't cheap but it was perfect
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 10:00:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#21]
The biggest disadvantage to the S&W 15-22 and Tippman is their proprietary parts and they will always be a rimfire.   The AR-15 lower will always be an AR-15 lower so if you decide you don’t want a rimfire it is easy to switch to centerfire.   The rimfire parts can be sold separately or individually.   If you want a 22 LR pistol you don’t have to use a pistol brace since the 22 LR bolt has a captive recoil spring.    You can use a plug with a Picatinney rail or sling loop in the buffer tube threads.  There are numerous sources for CMMG pattern bolts, barrels, parts and magazines.   You can buy very accurate rimfire barrels or cheaper nitride rack grade barrels.   There are different manufacturers dedicated 22 LR uppers which are all compatible with AR-15 lowers.   Most CMMG pattern bolts function with a wide variety of after market triggers and any pistol grip, butt stock or hand guard can be used with 22 LR AR-15’s.

I bought my last 22 LR upper from Right to Bear on sale.   I couldn’t use my extra parts and buy the rest of the parts and assemble the upper for the price I paid for my 16” RTB upper.  

It really boils down to personal preference on M&P 15-22, Tippman or other rimfire.  I have five complete 22 LR AR-15’s, a Cugir AKT-98 22 LR training rifle, Ruger 10/22, Winchester 190, Henry H01 and Savage Mk II.  

My most recent dedicated 22 LR AR-15.  Right to Bear upper on a lower I assembled using a LaRue Tactical MBT 2S trigger.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had both.

I sold the 15-22. I kept the built one.

I just like it better. Controls are obviously identical, not just really close. And plastic rifles just feel funny to me.

And I can F1 the lower and use any upper with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a built one. (10.5" 5.56 with a CMMG adapter.  Gas block turned around).  Once broken in and oiled, it works really well  1:7 twist does not one no favors.

I also have a RTB 9" .22RL upper with a 1:16 twist.  Works great as well.

Either will work, but a true .22 barrel will be more accurate.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CavVet:

It took me awhile to find one NOS, but I did.

It wasn't cheap but it was perfect
View Quote

They never were cheap, I bought mine when they first came out, it was more than a normal 5.56 upper even back then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:43:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SecondAmend] [#25]
Build - For Example:

At one point, I was going to build as a rifle with 16 n. bbl., optics or scope and folding iron sights on top, and side folding stock mounted on a Picatinny rail lower end cap, but I went with the pistol, at least as the first build.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

ETA: I do know a guy who has a Bear Creek Armory 16 in. bbl. .22LR upper that he is satisfied with, and the price was reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DuneShoot:

View Quote

Same, mine is a little sewing machine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Get an assembled upper to pin onto your lower of choice.  RTB or PSA usually have several and many in the $300 range.  Once you have that upper you can use that bolt and CH on other dedicated uppers that you will eventually come to have.  I have 4 now, each set up to mimic a "big brother" centerfire for training/fun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I will chime in here.

Years ago (straining to remember the brand )I had a dedicated upper that was accurate as all get out but every 300 -400rounds or so it would fire out of battery and mes up the bolt or extractors and it would go back to the maker who would fix it up no charge.

Turn around was a couple of months so at on point when it was gone I bought a Ceiner drop in conversion.
Took a bit to break in and they break fireing pins every case or so of ammo (5000rd) but are generally good. CMMG is a exact copy of the Ceiner that was actually made by

Acheson.

To my way of thinking the main benifit of the drop in conversion is if you have several different ARs with different features the drop in will work in all.

Carbine with irons or a red dot , good to go, Service rifle , varmit rig or whatever you got is all good. to go from centerfire to rimfire and you have to twist your elevation a bit but just keep track how much and you can dial back to the centerfire zero when you go back to centerfire.

Carbine with a adjustable stock and it is the perfect gun for a kid growing so fast you can't keep a gun to fit him.

You can swap back and forth in 40 seconds right at the range and shoot both the rimfire and the centerfire on the same trip.

Some guys don't like the rimfire blowing gray grit down into the trigger , just carry a can of brake cleaner or gun scrubber and blast the trigger clean when it starts to feel scratchy
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a CMMG complete upper in .22 that I love.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
... CMMG is a exact copy of the Ceiner that was actually made by Acheson [sic, Atchisson]...
View Quote

FWIW, Ciener bought out Max Atchisson including all the tooling, in 1993.
In any case, I bought a CMMG stainless steel adapter assembly in 2010.  Around 2013, CMMG made some changes to their unit that makes it different from the Atchisson/Ciener implementation.  The 2013 and on CMMG changes include, but are not necessarily limited to: the retention of the firing pin is different; the back plate of the frame is different; and the anti-bounce weight (for full auto use, along with a sear trip) is different.  These, and possibly others, might effect interchangeability and/or operation.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer.  I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation or sponsorship for endorsements, or favorable public or private comments.  I do not have a website, podcasts, webinars, or online videos; or books/magazine articles.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only; and products or services were purchased by me from regular commercial sources.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Posted in another thread as well, but I like rolling my own:

The S&W is fun too:

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Supposed to be 96 outside today so I guess I’ll have some time to start pricing parts and rifles.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I just put one together, I prefer it to my 15/22.

Bore Buddy 4.5” barrel
Matrix 7” handguard
PSA bolt
Redi-Mag adapter - got a bunch of 15/22 mags
Holosun 510
Warlock II or Sparrow can

This thing is a blast.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top