Site Notices
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 16 of 16)
Page / 16
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Wonder if that will work with CGS cans that are left hand thread.
View Quote

I believe it’s the same mounting pattern as the sci-six muzzle devices. I’m debating getting into the CAT left hand thread stuff instead of Plan B.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I believe it’s the same mounting pattern as the sci-six muzzle devices. I’m debating getting into the CAT left hand thread stuff instead of Plan B.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By voodochild:

Wonder if that will work with CGS cans that are left hand thread.

I can confirm they will work. My cgs rep confirmed this. Noveske is making MDs as well. CAT has made the dimensions open source.

I don't remember the exact details but my rep had said that either the Sci six MD was too long for the odb/wb OR vise versa, but I imagine you could just compare the two and figure it out. I have Sci six stock and can measure the MD, but all my cat cans are hub threads.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Midwest Precision Shooting has done a bunch of RoF measurements as a proxy for back pressure.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/TAzgDnj7AYY7RDRG/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#4]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

I can confirm they will work. My cgs rep confirmed this. Noveske is making MDs as well. CAT has made the dimensions open source.

I don't remember the exact details but my rep had said that either the Sci six MD was too long for the odb/wb OR vise versa, but I imagine you could just compare the two and figure it out. I have Sci six stock and can measure the MD, but all my cat cans are hub threads.
View Quote

What’s your opinion of the left hand CAT/CGS stuff? Worth getting over Plan B?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]

What’s your opinion of the left hand CAT/CGS stuff? Worth getting over Plan B?
View Quote

All of the taper/thread combos available seem to work well. Rearden/q stuff seems to be the most popular in my area. I use xeno stuff.

I don't like that the cat stuff doesn't have exposed wrench flats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]

All of the taper/thread combos available seem to work well. Rearden/q stuff seems to be the most popular in my area. I use xeno stuff.

View Quote

Oof yeah that’s a turn off for sure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

The 14.5PW version of the Spooky1 has exposed wrench flats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

The 14.5PW version of the Spooky1 has exposed wrench flats.
View Quote

I noticed that. The Noveske muzzle device also has them. I’m still up in the air between Plan B or CAT mounting systems. Basically the good old right-hand vs left-hand threads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Got the CAT WB 718 out of jail for the day by BlueJay

CAT White Bread 718 HUB

Took this silencer out for a little test while it's in jail. It's performance is pretty nutty and it's really in a league of it's own imo.

It sounds really good, better than my LPM Torch and waaay better than my Flow 556k. It has low back pressure, not as low as the Torch with the vented cap but it's right there. The WB isn't to long, can use HUB mounts, this is a Deligent Defense Zilch. IT HAS WRENCH FLATS!

The WB really just has a very different sound signature than other cans and has like zero FRP. On my tuned 11.5 it was fantastic and on my untuned 16 inch midlength gun it was very good as well. The other shooter was left handed and thought it was totally fine. It's just very good sounding and to throw low back pressure on top of that is rad.

Really the only time I think I've heard 5.56 sound better was my Nomad L with a 556 endcap on a PWS upper with an H3 and heavy spring. And that's a waaaaaay larger can.

The silencer does weigh more than listed though, it weighs 13.9oz and it's listed at 12.8. There is variance in printed silencer weight but I have 5 other printed cans and between all of them put together they're .2oz heavier than listed.

Also the coating on the front of the can is messed up, it's just inconsistent across the endcap. I'll probably rattle can it so it doesn't matter but this is an $1100 silencer with a finish worse than an Anderson AR.

Overall it's basically the perfect 5.56 silencer. Sounds good, low back pressure, isn't long as fuck, doesn't weigh very much, no flash. It just really checks all the boxes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]

I noticed that. The Noveske muzzle device also has them. I’m still up in the air between Plan B or CAT mounting systems. Basically the good old right-hand vs left-hand threads.
View Quote

The regular ones have flats on the flash hider itself, not easy to see but a great idea.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
Got the CAT WB 718 out of jail for the day by BlueJay

View Quote

With reviews like this I might have to consider picking up one, but I'm still hesitant from the initial clown fiesta. If I did it would only be the inconel which will probably not restock for half a year.

Has CAT every responded with a real answer to why people are measuring their cans at 1-2oz heavier than listed on their website? Variances in printing don't come close to explaining it.

Also have seen some photos of the baffles around 800 rounds and they, to me, seem to have quite a bit of erosion for inconel. It's hard to tell though without having a 1:1 unfired and fired one to compare to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuckyDucky] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#13]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
So has anyone figured out who CAT actually is?

One of their first, if not the first, instagram post said whoever figures out gets a free suppressor.

Edit: their 4th post said:

"There has been a load of early internet intrigue into who we really are. Who are we? Are we all hype train? The newest marketing program of someone else? Is our shit any good? Are we going to get smashed by the big dogs? Why haven’t you heard about us? We’ve been lively answering questions yesterday but we stand here looking into our newest pressie box and thought - there’s some of the answers right in front for you. Closest to the truth gets a one-off ‘MIL’ coded TSF X hub model when we launch in October to the people. Happy Hunting you good folk."

https://i.imgur.com/kA34fjT.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cver6Z-McrV/
View Quote

Whomever they belong to they are keeping their heads down.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Skunk Works division of CGS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a CGS SCI SIX, and it came in the same plastic container used for cleaning, along with a t-shirt, and stickers…exactly how you receive the CAT suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
I just got a CGS SCI SIX, and it came in the same plastic container used for cleaning, along with a t-shirt, and stickers…exactly how you receive the CAT suppressors.
View Quote

Cgs does ship CAT Silencers, makes sense to have the same process and materials for final shipment prep.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By The_Sugar_Weasel:

Cgs does ship CAT Silencers, makes sense to have the same process and materials for final shipment prep.
View Quote

Gotcha.  I didn’t know that…definitely makes sense then.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I asked them this question directly and this was their response:

CAT: The entire leadership team are ex and active SMU personnel. However, this is a bit redundant by now don’t you think, the product certain exceeds expectations of the market, weren’t we a Reddit hypebeast? Which is funny when you consider who is out there producing suppressors.

Still not a whole lot of information.  But I don't care, I have a Hub WB 718 sitting at a LGS waiting for me.  Couldn't resist when I saw they had 6 in stock last week.  Will likely have it in hand in the next week or so.

Glad to see this thread has started actually talking about CAT cans and not Pewscience.  You guys need to move that pedantic discussion to a separate thread and leave this one for, you know, the actual subject in OP's title.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CiggyTardust:

CAT: The entire leadership team are ex and active SMU personnel. However, this is a bit redundant by now don’t you think, the product certain exceeds expectations of the market, weren’t we a Reddit hypebeast? Which is funny when you consider who is out there producing suppressors.

Still not a whole lot of information.  But I don't care, I have a Hub WB 718 sitting at a LGS waiting for me.  Couldn't resist when I saw they had 6 in stock last week.  Will likely have it in hand in the next week or so.

Glad to see this thread has started actually talking about CAT cans and not Pewscience.  You guys need to move that pedantic discussion to a separate thread and leave this one for, you know, the actual subject in OP's title.
View All Quotes

That is one bullshit answer if I ever did see one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#20]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

That is one bullshit answer if I ever did see one.
View Quote

I’d be curious what they mean by SMU. It’s an easy claim to make that is difficult to verify.

Most SMU alumni don’t care enough about cans to migrate en-masse to lead an upstart silencer company that might be foreign. Current members wouldn’t touch it at all under any circumstance, not with a 20ft pole.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I got to shoot with a local guy who knows about some of the stuff behind CAT, not my stuff to tell, but it was cool to hear about and makes me excited for what they’re bringing to market.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#22]

I got to shoot with a local guy who knows about some of the stuff behind CAT, not my stuff to tell, but it was cool to hear about and makes me excited for what they’re bringing to market.
View Quote

Seriously?  Now I really want to buy some CAT.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

How are you gonna post that and not include any details?  Come on...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#24]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By spot-remover:

Seriously?  Now I really want to buy some CAT.

A lot of what we discussed was who is involved and his experiences with them. I can tell yall, there’s some impressive resumes working with them and that they aren’t BSing when they say there are military units out there using their IP. I’m probably going to get called a shill or shadow marketer, but I’m only saying what I’ve seen proof of. CAT was one of the things he and I talked about the least overall during our range trip, but he said he should potentially be getting some of their stuff and he would let me try it out because they have cans I’m interested in. If I get to, I’ll throw my thoughts on their stuff in here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Not impressed.  I want real engineers or professional rednecks designing and making my cans, not a warfighter.  I love how the shooting community drops to their knees
and eats up anything put out by 'veteran owned' or 'former Special Forces' companies.  Like dudes that face shoot for a living somehow are better at gas fluidics and making gun lubricants than nerds that studied physics and tribology for over a decade...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Honestly I don't really care who they are, or who they claim to be.  I'm only 400 rounds into a WB 718, but so far I'm really digging it.  I pay for my cans and no affiliation with them.  I have close to 40 NFA items, so I have some experience with many different makes and models over the years.  I have the HUB model, but I'm trying out their TSFX adapter on both CGS and CAT muzzle devices.  So far not many complaints, but in full disclosure I haven't spent any time in low light with it yet.  I'm not saying it is the latest greatest thing, but in my very early humble (not worth anything) opinion it has some good things going for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

Not impressed.  I want real engineers or professional rednecks designing and making my cans, not a warfighter.  I love how the shooting community drops to their knees
and eats up anything put out by 'veteran owned' or 'former Special Forces' companies.  Like dudes that face shoot for a living somehow are better at gas fluidics and making gun lubricants than nerds that studied physics and tribology for over a decade...
View Quote
I absolutely agree with that, but would hope that SMU dudes would hire engineers, since knowing your limitations is an important character trait. Along with knowing where you’re at in the Dunning-Kruger graph. Also, some dudes do leave (or retire) and totally change their career choices, many of which stay in touch. I know a mechanical engineer and a couple computer nerds, for example.

I don’t believe the claim anyway, though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By KSPeacekeeper:
Honestly I don't really care who they are, or who they claim to be.  I'm only 400 rounds into a WB 718, but so far I'm really digging it.  I pay for my cans and no affiliation with them.  I have close to 40 NFA items, so I have some experience with many different makes and models over the years.  I have the HUB model, but I'm trying out their TSFX adapter on both CGS and CAT muzzle devices.  So far not many complaints, but in full disclosure I haven't spent any time in low light with it yet.  I'm not saying it is the latest greatest thing, but in my very early humble (not worth anything) opinion it has some good things going for it.
View Quote

How do you like the TSFX stuff? Left hand threads seem like a solid system in my eyes. Nearly chose it over Plan B, but I could find Plan B local and didn’t want to wait for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Excellent; I look forward to hearing more from you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CiggyTardust] [#30]
View Quote

Just submitted my eForm 4 today on a WB 718 and this is the kind of feedback I've been scouring the net for... could you describe your experience in regard to tone, shooting indoors, gas blowback, etc.?  And how it compares to other cans we might be familiar with?  I've got a Polo-K coming as well and I'm curious how these two ends of the market compare subjectively when actually shooting them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Wish I could find a WB 718 in stock.

Grabbed a .22lr SR from Bauer the other day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#32]

How do you like the TSFX stuff? Left hand threads seem like a solid system in my eyes. Nearly chose it over Plan B, but I could find Plan B local and didn’t want to wait for shipping.
View Quote

I like the TSFX enough that I’ve converted a 3-4 other hub cans to that system. I like the left hand thread and don’t have to worry about the muzzle device coming off when taking the can off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Just submitted my eForm 4 today on a WB 718 and this is the kind of feedback I've been scouring the net for... could you describe your experience in regard to tone, shooting indoors, gas blowback, etc.?  And how it compares to other cans we might be familiar with?  I've got a Polo-K coming as well and I'm curious how these two ends of the market compare subjectively when actually shooting them.
View Quote

Tone
I’m not the guy for that. I have permanent hearing loss and use atleast one form of ear pro when I shoot and sometimes two. Ops Core Amps and sometimes in the ear plugs too.

Shooting indoors
Sorry I can’t comment on that either. I have a range at my house so too spoiled to travel somewhere to shoot indoors.  

Gas blowback
Haven’t experienced that with the hosts I’ve used. I don’t run adjustable gas blocks, but I also don’t shoot barrels with big gas ports either. I’m fairly sensitive to gas in the face and haven’t noticed it between Hodge and Noveske barrels I’ve used with this can.

Other cans…
Heard good things about Polo K but don’t have one. I’ve been on a 3D printed kick lately. Sig SLXC, Huxwrx 556k, CGS Sci Six, CGS Helios, Knights QDC-CRS-PRT. I do have some traditional cans like Surefire RC2, AAC M4-2000 and Ranger 5&7, Sig SRD556QD, Dead Air Sierra 5 and Sandman. All of those traditional cans have their share of backpressure for sure.

I’m not chasing DBs with my 5.56 platforms, cause I know they will never be quiet. Length, weight, back pressure, and mounting system are higher on my list. The CAT WB checks those boxes pretty well for my needs, but again I’ve only got just over 400 rounds on it, so still way early to say how I will feel in 5-10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Talk like this only makes me more skeptical of their claims, nothing like a long string of "trust me, bro" to build confidence lol

At this point I might consider a WB 718 if they existed on the market, but I really want to see one in person before jumping. I would love to see a RMA experience with CAT, I still have zero trust in their warranty.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayRay71] [#35]
Picked up my CAT ODB Ti Monday. After a Feb sub date. Only have one other can (Ruger Mark II with Soundtech APR integral) so limited firsthand experience other than friends cans. Direct threaded it onto a BA 10.3” Hanson barreled upper with a Aero lower. 2 stamp gun. Gun would not lock back on empty mag unsuppressed, same suppressed. Indicates not much change in b/p to me. Ejects about 4 o’clock but wont strip next round. Trying lighter buffer tomorrow. I will say it’s quieter than I expected with SS rounds. Totally hearing safe. Mrs was like WOW, and she has bat ears.  With supers and my range which is fairly “free” it seems totally hearing safe. I am kinda deaf though. Any help appreciated. Gun may need more break in. Maybe 200 rounds so far.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RayRay71:
Picked up my CAT ODB Ti Monday. After a Feb sub date. Only have one other can (Ruger Mark II with Soundtech APR integral) so limited firsthand experience other than friends cans. Direct threaded it onto a BA 10.3” Hanson barreled upper with a Aero lower. 2 stamp gun. Gun would not lock back on empty mag unsuppressed, same suppressed. Indicates not much change in b/p to me. Ejects about 4 o’clock but wont strip next round. Trying lighter buffer tomorrow. I will say it’s quieter than I expected with SS rounds. Totally hearing safe. Mrs was like WOW, and she has bat ears.  With supers and my range which is fairly “free” it seems totally hearing safe. I am kinda deaf though. Any help appreciated. Gun may need more break in. Maybe 200 rounds so far.
View Quote

Agreed, decent indicator of relative b/p. What buffer and spring were you using? Hansons tend to be gassed pretty conservatively, in my experience with 2 different 5.56 lengths and an 8.3" BO, which the market was asking for from the more affordable barrels. What ammo? I would also start with the buffer, and possibly spring if you're running something fancy.

Thanks for the report.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing fancy!  H2 carbine buffer and spring combo from PWS IIRC. Tried a lot of flavors of subsonic all ejected ok ( except Hornady 190, they seemed really low power). Tried Hornady black 208, Remington 220, AAC 220, S&B, +++, none would lock mag back. Supers ran perfect. Seems under-gassed. Bought an adjustable weight buffer and will see what happens. I guess next step is low mass BCG if that doesn’t work or am I going wrong direction?  Thanks for help!

Zero gas to face compared to my friends 14.5” AR15 with an RC2. Different animal I know but way different experience. If this thing will run like my other rifles it’ll be tits.
Link Posted: Today 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

Talk like this only makes me more skeptical of their claims, nothing like a long string of "trust me, bro" to build confidence lol

At this point I might consider a WB 718 if they existed on the market, but I really want to see one in person before jumping. I would love to see a RMA experience with CAT, I still have zero trust in their warranty.
View Quote

I've shot my WB 718 on an 11.5 and 16 inch gun and it's truly something special. The vague nature of the company behide the silencer is lame, but their stuff is top shelf. I've got like 15 Silencers I could use on 5.56 and even if the WB was 2 inches longer it'd still be the best performance to size ratio silencer that I've ever heard, it's really that good.
Link Posted: Today 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]

I've shot my WB 718 on an 11.5 and 16 inch gun and it's truly something special. The vague nature of the company behide the silencer is lame, but their stuff is top shelf. I've got like 15 Silencers I could use on 5.56 and even if the WB was 2 inches longer it'd still be the best performance to size ratio silencer that I've ever heard, it's really that good.
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: Today 11:53:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CiggyTardust] [#40]

View Quote

Awesome! Just got my eForm 4 approved on one this morning. Probably won't get to pick it up until Saturday but with feedback like this I'm psyched.

Don't be like me, though... I originally had a backorder for one on SS and got impatient. Bought a Polo-K at Capitol Armory and cancelled my backorder. Then a WB 718 popped up local to me and I couldn't resist... now both will be in hand this week and I feel silly dropping nearly $800 on the Polo-K but there's no turning back now. I'm sure I'll find a use for it but it's $800 I shouldn't have spent on something I didn't really need!
Link Posted: Today 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I go sign the papers and start the process tomorrow on my WB718. Cant wait to give a report shortly
Link Posted: Today 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Still waiting on my Ti ODB. 14 days and counting
Link Posted: Today 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Awesome! Just got my eForm 4 approved on one this morning. Probably won't get to pick it up until Saturday but with feedback like this I'm psyched.

Don't be like me, though... I originally had a backorder for one on SS and got impatient. Bought a Polo-K at Capitol Armory and cancelled my backorder. Then a WB 718 popped up local to me and I couldn't resist... now both will be in hand this week and I feel silly dropping nearly $800 on the Polo-K but there's no turning back now. I'm sure I'll find a use for it but it's $800 I shouldn't have spent on something I didn't really need!
View Quote

It'll be good to have both.  You can shoot your Polonium while you are saving up for the $140 CAT White Bread Cleaner.
Link Posted: Today 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By spot-remover:

It'll be good to have both.  You can shoot your Polonium while you are saving up for the $140 CAT White Bread Cleaner.
View Quote

I believe it comes with some of that cleaner?  I only shoot like 1k rounds a year so I'm not too worried about the cleaning schedule...
Link Posted: Today 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#45]

I believe it comes with some of that cleaner?  I only shoot like 1k rounds a year so I'm not too worried about the cleaning schedule...
View Quote

lol, no. no cat can comes with any of the cleaner. a quart of it is 130 or 140 bones. cat told me for rifle stuff to clean every 1-2k rounds.

unfortunately, this is the trade off with super high performance DMLS/sealed cans.
Link Posted: Today 2:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CiggyTardust] [#46]
Ah, I guess it was the cleaning container that I saw. Oh well. I did read from some big name that they compared different cleaning solutions and the CAT one worked best, for whatever that's worth. In light of the 1k that much ammo will cost it's not a big deal.  Edit: it's actually ridiculous but I'm coping lol
Link Posted: Today 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
If anyone sees a WB 718 in stock please let me know.  
Page / 16
Next Page Arrow Left
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 16 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top