Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2024 8:10:56 PM EDT
Can we get some reproduction AUG A1 receivers?

That would be sweet.

I am aware of and own a 40th Anniversary STG77 model.

Close but not the same.

For example, the A1 weighs notably less.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be cool, I'd be down for one. I built a hybrid for an old USR stock.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would love an A1 receiver with a 3x optic. I have no plans of hanging a bunch of shit off my AUGs and the clean classic lines of the pre rail models are just iconic.

OG hex check nuts would be nice too
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 10:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#3]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Receivers could be made, but there aren't any good large production sources for semi parts kits, or even stocks for that matter, much less optics tubes, so I don't see them being a big seller.  That is my take from a manufacturer's standpoint.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

Steyr Austria still makes full on A1s with CHF, chrome lined barrels. I saw them in one of their recent catalogs. I guess they just chose to not sell them here
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Steyr Austria still makes full on A1s with CHF, chrome lined barrels. I saw them in one of their recent catalogs. I guess they just chose to not sell them here
View Quote

False. Steyr Austria discontinued A1 and A2 receivers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The days of A1 and A2 receivers are gone. Steyr Austria only offers A3 receivers now. For MIL/LE customers that want the AUG with a rail free integrated scope they market the "A1B", which is the A3 SF/M1 receiver with the bolt on StG77 classic scope. They also offer the "AUG SA Army" in their SA line, which is the same as the 40th anniversary AUG the US got in 2017.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
I would love an A1 receiver with a 3x optic. I have no plans of hanging a bunch of shit off my AUGs and the clean classic lines of the pre rail models are just iconic.

OG hex check nuts would be nice too
View Quote

That is possible.

The external housing is different but the inside of the housing the tube itself is the same other than the magnification and reticle of course.

I've had it done.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
One of my interest is weight.

The A1 is a bit lighter than the A2 and A3.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mr_Barlow:

False. Steyr Austria discontinued A1 and A2 receivers.
View Quote

FWIW

My A1 was mfg in 2005.. so at least they were in production not long time ago.
I bet they still have all the tooling
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frens: My A1 was mfg in 2005.. so at least they were in production not long time ago. I bet they still have all the tooling
View Quote
That was 19 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Can we get some reproduction AUG A1 receivers?
View Quote

That will never happen. Buy an A1 or get a 40th anniversary.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 2:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I already have a 40th anniversary.

It's not the same and it's heavier.

Part of what I want is an A1 receiver but part of what I want is lighter weight and an A1 receiver is lighter weight than the others.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't say it will never happen since we don't know for sure if they really did destroy the AUG A1 receiver tooling and molds.
Below is the newest AUG A1 I've seen which has a 2011 date code.
I know this is more than a decade ago but again, how can you know for sure it wouldn't happen?

OP, if you want an A1, just get one when you can find a good deal on it.
Even if they release newly made AUG A1, it will still have all the 922r parts that many collectors would agree is just not as attractive as a full Steyr Austrian rifle.
It is nice the preban A1 guns have chrome lined barrels which new production ones don't.
I have more than half dozen AUG A1 in the past and they all have way nicer trigger and way smoother action vs A3M1 guns that my friends and myself have.

Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:39:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manticore_Arms] [#18]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I already have a 40th anniversary.

It's not the same and it's heavier.

Part of what I want is an A1 receiver but part of what I want is lighter weight and an A1 receiver is lighter weight than the others.
View Quote

They are all heavy. You are going to have to get a Pre ban then If you want an A1 receiver.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Here is my personal take:

I would not expect to see it happen unless Steyr got a specific order for A1 integral optic receivers as part of a military or LEO order, requiring a run of original A1 castings, and the overrun was machined into semiauto receivers and sold onto the civilian market.

The detachable scope receiver makes a lot more sense from both a manufacturer and end user standpoint as it allows damaged optics to easily be swapped out, and for the optic to be swapped out entirely for a picatinny top rail, which is far more useful than the built in optic.  The weight savings on an A1 vs. A3, A3 M1, A3 M2 with STG 77 style optic is minimal, not enough to be of value in the reality of field use, and no military is going to accept the soda straw view, lack of NV compatability, and lack of mounting ability for lasers that is the limitation of the A1 receiver.

The casting molds may be sitting on a shelf somewhere, but I do not see this ever being something offered- even the STG 77 "40th anniversary model" which would have been the moment to capitalize on the A1 receiver, was an A3 M1 with a separate optics housing bolted onto it.

I am not saying it wouldn't be cool to see, it most certainly would, but if you want an A1 receiver you are just going to have to buy an old A1 on Gunbroker or similar second hand purchase.

Sven
Manticore Arms

View Quote

You can swap the optic out on an A1. The integral optic is a self contained insert, and the outer body integral to the receiver is just a housing. That is how my Gun South imported A1 was changed to a crosshair reticle by a previous owner.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top