Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2023 12:55:10 AM EDT
Most jackets/coats hang lower than the waist line, significantly.  What are options for below freezing tops to not infringe upon an outer battle belt?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Belt over jacket or (what I do) I just roll my jack up a little and pull the draw string elastic tighter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Put the belt over the top?

Check out police gear some of their jackets (like Vertyx or 5.11) are shorter.  Eisenhower cut jacket?
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Belt over jacket or (what I do) I just roll my jack up a little and pull the draw string elastic tighter.
View Quote
No disagreement here (it's the best we can do while maintaining warmth/wind blocking) but I'd add two things

1. A two piece belt with the inner belt running thru pant loops forces you to go the synch route
2. Police the elastic draw strings and carefully look the pistol into the holster. That draw string is just begging to get in the trigger guard. If I'm wearing a jacket with a draw string I slow things down a notch for self preservation purposes
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most jackets/coats hang lower than the waist line, significantly.  What are options for below freezing tops to not infringe upon an outer battle belt?
View Quote

Nothing from the tactical realm except maybe the Crye Precision HalfJak, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Probably head to your closest outdoor store and browse the racks there. Some rock climbing oriented puffy jackets are cut short so as to not interfere with a climbing harness.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1. A two piece belt with the inner belt running thru pant loops forces you to go the synch route
View Quote

Buckle the belt over your jacket, e.g. don't bother with the inner belt. A thigh strap on a drop/offset holster really helps with overall belt stability in situations like these. It keeps everything anchored down well when you don't have it velcroed to the inner belt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Not cheap, but a hell of a tech garment for cold weather: UF Pro Ace Winter Combat Shirt. Wore mine tucked in at the East Coast Nightvision Shoot in OH in Nov.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I regularly wear my Arcteryx Atom LT under plates. It has saved me repeatedly in freezing Temps.

A few years ago we had a barricaded gunman in a car. I found myself on a roof in in the zero dark hours in February. Only thing cold was my hands. The sniper next to me was visibly shaking.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a big fan of the 7 layer Protective Combat Uniform (PCU) system used by the U.S. Army.

The reason that I like this system is that it is very easy to adjust to the weather and your physical activity level thanks to the little chart I like to use (see below).  For a belt system I use my Blue Alpha Gear outer MOLLE belt (part of their two piece system) with an HSGI Micro Grip Belt Panel then wear it on the outside my outer layer.

Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Layers

Puffy out layers when static, take it off when moving. Everything is a compromise.

A civilian type puffy coat will work just as well as the dead bird atom jacket, which I also have.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Take the jacket and have someone add snap fasteners around the hem and the female ones slightly above your belt line, probably better to have them on the inside so the jacket can fold inside so there isn’t a bucket along the bottom.

Besides buying one of those half-jackets or putting the belt over everything (if possible), that seems like the best option.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you rock a two belt system, replace the inner belt with a pad and go over the jacket. Like this one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not cheap, but a hell of a tech garment for cold weather: UF Pro Ace Winter Combat Shirt. Wore mine tucked in at the East Coast Nightvision Shoot in OH in Nov.
View Quote

I like these
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#13]
It rains a shitload here and i probably wear shells 6 months of the year. I very quickly gave up on wearing the inner and outer belts as intended. I ended up using a wilder inner pad with esstac belt and adding suspenders. I also added some webbing and an itw buckle in place of the cobra buckle to add quick adjustibility if I'm adding or shedding a layer. Still a work in progress but i like it so far. Going to do a rifle belt as well and I'm not sure if i want to do another like this or just go straight to LBE.

Link Posted: 1/14/2023 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Use an HSGI grip pad and wear the belt over the outer garment. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Nvm
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 2:43:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Modern outdoor apparel has gone to a shorter cut and it’s unfortunate. The abdomen/ass/hips have a lot of blood flow that needs to be kept warm.

Belt with grip pad over parka.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Good suggestions for the outer jacket options as well
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Buckle the belt over your jacket, e.g. don't bother with the inner belt. A thigh strap on a drop/offset holster really helps with overall belt stability in situations like these. It keeps everything anchored down well when you don't have it velcroed to the inner belt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can usually keep the inner belt mated to the outer belt when you buckle up over top so you don't scratch up the outer garment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like these
View Quote

They are a great Garment Company, first product I bought were the Striker HT pants...I was sold after that. Just repeat "Crye is more expensive, Crye is more expensive..." when ordering (and they have a lot more garment types).
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is kind of what I do.
I have a 2 belt system for warmer weather and a padded over belt for colder days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.

The HSGI grip pad will hold that sucker nicely in place. I was pleasantly surprised how well it really does grip the belt to you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

My method as well.  A tight/elastic thigh strap on the drop holster really holds the battle belt in place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have this for work:
https://www.viktos.com/collections/outerwear/products/combonova-jacket?variant=32676045946976

That and other offerings from the company have "Gunvent" zippers that let you unzip the sides of the waist to easily access your sidearm, especially with a UBL, or other belt mounted pouches. Have used it in training and in classes and works really well. Also check out their Alphadawn model.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have this for work:
https://www.viktos.com/collections/outerwear/products/combonova-jacket?variant=32676045946976

That and other offerings from the company have "Gunvent" zippers that let you unzip the sides of the waist to easily access your sidearm, especially with a UBL, or other belt mounted pouches. Have used it in training and in classes and works really well. Also check out their Alphadawn model.
View Quote

Also using the Alphadawn jacket and their rain shell. Been through several classes this year alone with the jackets and they work great. The Gunvent zippers work better than I was expecting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#26]
When I do cold weather shoots like 2 or 3-gun and such, I wear a light fleece over a thermal base layer under my gear (PC, chestrig, belt, etc.) and work with that while shooting stages.

In between stages while standing around, I toss an ECWCS level 7 coat over top of everything.  It's bulky enough to fit all the gear underneath and keeps me plenty warm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the best under-thermal wear right now?  Talking 10-25 degrees F this goes on as an under layer before main clothing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the best under-thermal wear right now?  Talking 10-25 degrees F this goes on as an under layer before main clothing?
View Quote

I like Minus33 Merino stuff. Lightweight or Midweight, depending on how Hot or Cold you run normally.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
How cold are we talking here? Cold day at the range, those 2 piece belts are fine.  Cold like sub zero at altitude, that metal buckle will kill you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How cold are we talking here? Cold day at the range, those 2 piece belts are fine.  Cold like sub zero at altitude, that metal buckle will kill you.
View Quote

Not worried about the belt buckle.  More about layer options to allow for the belt to be worn comfortably while it's very cold out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like Minus33 Merino stuff. Lightweight or Midweight, depending on how Hot or Cold you run normally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the Expedition line worthwhile?  Looks to be the best for coldest weather
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also using the Alphadawn jacket and their rain shell. Been through several classes this year alone with the jackets and they work great. The Gunvent zippers work better than I was expecting.
View Quote

Are you talking about their Ranger Trainer shell?  I was looking at that - looks decent for the price.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Are you talking about their Ranger Trainer shell?  I was looking at that - looks decent for the price.
View Quote

Range Trainer - yes. I've only had it for 3-4 months, used it in one class that was a downpour and at work many times.

So far good to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Range Trainer - yes. I've only had it for 3-4 months, used it in one class that was a downpour and at work many times.

So far good to go.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only Expedition weight stuff I have, is the socks. I run hot and sweat like a pig, so I have all lightweight stuff - I also hate bulk. The coldest it gets around here on average, is ~0-5 degrees, more often 10-15. I Snow-Blow (activity) with the Lightweight and have to open vents in my UF Pro Winter Combat Shirt. Just Range Type pants with the bottoms was fine - my lower body can take more cold (probably most people?). Expedition would be nice for sleeping though. Merino is expensive but the Minus33 stuff is holding up, isn't the most expensive, and is on Amazon for super fast sizing changes if needed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The only Expedition weight stuff I have, is the socks. I run hot and sweat like a pig, so I have all lightweight stuff - I also hate bulk. The coldest it gets around here on average, is ~0-5 degrees, more often 10-15. I Snow-Blow (activity) with the Lightweight and have to open vents in my UF Pro Winter Combat Shirt. Just Range Type pants with the bottoms was fine - my lower body can take more cold (probably most people?). Expedition would be nice for sleeping though. Merino is expensive but the Minus33 stuff is holding up, isn't the most expensive, and is on Amazon for super fast sizing changes if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run hot when I’m moving but average when stationary or sleeping. Good to know on their line. I may need multiple sets. My general use case is camping in 35 degree weather and night hunting in the cold, more stalk but some ride and spot.

I’d really like to keep my current gear, very compatible with my battle belt, and have the first layer provide the predominance of warmth.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#37]
This is why I don't like the 2 piece Velcro belts. Unless it's a pad velcroed to the belt.
Attachment Attached File

The above belt
Attachment Attached File

My range belt is a Tyre tactical and I don't think I've ever attached it to an inner belt.
Bradford USPSA, NOV 18, 2018
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#38]
If you are wearing a plate carrier, it insulates and blocks cold and wind exceptionally well for your torso.

In cold weather, I wear a 200 weight wool Icebreaker Oasis top. If wearing a battle belt I can wear a 3/4 zip Patagonia R1 sized slim enough to not have excess material in the waist and tuck it in to my pants like a shirt. The lack of full length zipper keeps it from being uncomfortable tucked but it does require a small size adjustment to my battle belt to accommodate the extra girth of the R1.

This gets me to the point that movement without sweating is difficult unless it is well below freezing during mid day. I actually have to push up the sleeves and zip open the top after I walk my first quarter mile in 30 degree weather or I drown in sweat.

When you stop, you will not have the extra warmth of movement and your arms, neck, and midsection will all quickly get cold. The plates still keep your core pretty warm if wearing a plate carrier.

Your cheapest bet for integration with a plate carrier or chest rig is the Beyond A8 quarter jacket. You can get one from Sportsmans Warehouse right now for $70 in XL or 2XL. It is not a lot of insulation but blocks some wind, has a DWR finish, and adds enough insulation for stops between movement. It is like a budget Crye Halfjack. Your belly and low back will eventually get cold but if you are moving at least every hour you won't mind.

If you are not wearing a plate carrier, you can just use a short waist length length down jacket to throw on when you stop and carefully tuck it inside your handgun and mags at the waist for short durations. I have never needed an insulated jacket while moving unless it is snowing with high wind and I can't move enough to keep warm... I always overheat and sweat through if moving with a heavy insulated down layer.

A shell for the rain is more difficult to integrate with your belt and tac gear IMO. A poncho is your best bet in that instance and a poncho with liner if you need extra warmth while stopped is great but bulky and heavy. I also sometimes use a duster style rain jacket when I need belt access, which also helps block some wind. Long duster syle rain jackets are essentially the police solution that a poncho is for the military.

Everyone else has already mentioned a sticky padded liner for your battle belt, but remember that adds bulk and so does your layered gear. If you set your belt up to run outside your insulating and barrier layers it is going to be impossible to go back to a velcro liner belt without resizing and sizing to fit over a puffy and shell layer means fitting tight enough without those layers on is also difficult and the whole belt is kind of loose.

I am a strong anti-thigh-strap guy after using various drop strap thigh rigs for years and I try to avoid them whenever possible as it interferes during vehicle operations and adds excess width in tight confines. That said, it does work to help hold a loose belt and a second belt for JUST non-vehicular use for use with a thigh strap would make sense if I was going to ALWAYS be wearing a belt over layers outdoors.

I also wear 200 weight merino leggings with a shell pants in colder weather with full side zips. I have Arcteryx puffy 3/4 pants with side zips I can throw on in the instances I need even more leg insulation but I have to remove the belt, zip off the pants via the side zips, put on the puffy pants zip side zips, then put the shell pants back on via the side zips, and then pit the belt back on. This is a good 5-6 minute process to switch over and occasionally 10 minutes if something goes wrong with a zipper. I also always overheat and sweat if I move with the wool leggings, puffy pants, and shell pants on. The puffy liner pants are pretty much just for staying in place for long periods and come off before it is time to move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top