Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2024 12:24:14 AM EDT
Do you have a dedicated night fighting rifle? I was watching a Brass Facts video and it got me thinking do I really need one? Or is it just excuse to build another rifle?

Civilian Night Vision Rifle Ft @Hoplopfheil

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Of course. A night vision setup requires an accommodating rifle and pistol if possible.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Got the money to spare….sure!

Colt 6933 w can, PEQ, and PVS14 clip on behind aimpoint was my go to.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO - all guns should be day and night capable. You just never know when you'll need it. I think it keeps things simple.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Got the money to spare….sure!

Colt 6933 w can, PEQ, and PVS14 clip on behind aimpoint was my go to.

View Quote

I think IF you’ve got the money sure; but if you’ve got nods you prob do.  I built a dedicated night rifle, just need to put a cab on it.

I’m rocking a PWS upper, SF vamp, and aimpoint duty.  After can it’s laser time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I think a go-to rifle with night capability is a better option. Are you gonna switch rifles when the sun goes down and you're in the field?

I have newly acquired night vision, still working on a laser/illuminator. Trying to not go into debt while sifting through all the data on different models.

My plan will be to have a do it all rifle with a solid laser/illuminator. On other rifles I can have less expensive until funds allow upgrades of them over time= more options.

The exception to my thought process would be a dedicated "night" rifle set up with a thermal scope.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of my guns have passive NV capability, but this is my current go-to.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
No, my carbine kinda does everything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated NV rifle.
The rifle you use under NV should be set up the exact same way your "day" rifle is set up plus a laser. This way when everything is dark and blurry you're not searching for your white light switch, or dealing with an oversized bolt release, or something of that nature. Everything is where you have repped it to be over and over again during the day.
If you don't run a raised optic normally you don't need one for night. I have never had a problem getting my tube behind a lower 1/3rd mount for passive aiming at night.
Don't make things hard for yourself!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
View Quote

This. Your primary carbine should be your primary for nighttime. Nothing else really makes sense unless you're being shuttled around in a track or a chopper. A fun gun is a whole different thing but I don't think that's what op is getting at.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#10]
View Quote
All of my carbines can kinda do everything. But one of my carbines is better at night than the rest, so yeah, I do have a dedicated NODs rifle. In fact, this is true of all three of my AR-15s: they can all do everything, but they are optimized for different roles. My NODs rifle is an 11.5" with an EOTech EXPS3-2, my home defense rifle is a 10.3" with an Aimpoint CompM5, my GP rifle is a 14.5" with an LPVO and an ACRO at the 1200. Each one can certainly be used to shoot during the day, but an EOTech on a FAST Riser is more conducive to passive aiming than a CompM5 on a FAST or piggybacked ACRO, while the 11.5" is a good balance of length versus weight for use with an MFAL (the 10.3" is a bit crowded on the handguard with the MFAL on it, while the 14.5" gets muzzle heavy with the MFAL at the end, especially since all of them are suppressed with full-sized SureFires). I also have different lights on different guns (more flood-y WMLs for the SBRs, a more throw-y light for the 14.5").

Thus, I do believe in having a "dedicated night fighting rifle", even though all of my rifles are compatible with NODs and can be used at night.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#11]
Originally Posted By Defaultmp3:
All of my carbines can kinda do everything. But one of my carbines is better at night than the rest, so yeah, I do have a dedicated NODs rifle. In fact, this is true of all three of my AR-15s: they can all do everything, but they are optimized for different roles. My NODs rifle is an 11.5" with an EOTech EXPS3-2, my home defense rifle is a 10.3" with an Aimpoint CompM5, my GP rifle is a 14.5" with an LPVO and an ACRO at the 1200. Each one can certainly be used to shoot during the day, but an EOTech on a FAST Riser is more conducive to passive aiming than a CompM5 on a FAST or piggybacked ACRO, while the 11.5" is a good balance of length versus weight for use with an MFAL (the 10.3" is a bit crowded on the handguard with the MFAL on it, while the 14.5" gets muzzle heavy with the MFAL at the end, especially since all of them are suppressed with full-sized SureFires). I also have different lights on different guns (more flood-y WMLs for the SBRs, a more throw-y light for the 14.5").

Thus, I do believe in having a "dedicated night fighting rifle", even though all of my rifles are compatible with NODs and can be used at night.
View Quote

My do-all has an NX8 with an ACRO P2 mounted at 12 o clock for passive aiming and a Raid Xe and a Cloud 3.0 Micro DF. It does everything pretty well. The only thing that would make it "dedicated" as a night fighting gun would be removal of the optic and replacing it with an EXPS3 on a riser...which the Acro P2 is already at perfect NV height for me. So basically, I could make it a few ounces lighter and remove significant reliability and capability (I do not trust Eotechs).
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Racking a shotgun works day or night.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Racking a shotgun works day or night.

View Quote

I have a NODS shotgun, too.
Attachment Attached File

Benelli M4 Entry under NODS
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a few. It's a great excuse to carry around 10-12 pounds and plus a 6+ pound ballistic helmet setup

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defaultmp3] [#15]

My do-all has an NX8 with an ACRO P2 mounted at 12 o clock for passive aiming and a Raid Xe and a Cloud 3.0 Micro DF. It does everything pretty well. The only thing that would make it "dedicated" as a night fighting gun would be removal of the optic and replacing it with an EXPS3 on a riser...which the Acro P2 is already at perfect NV height for me. So basically, I could make it a few ounces lighter and remove significant reliability and capability (I do not trust Eotechs).
View Quote
The other thing to consider is the handguard, given that a GP rifle might have a lighter, thinner handguard to make it easier to hump across rugged terrain, while a NODs oriented rifle might have a heavier, thicker handguard with a substantial barrel nut designed with minimal deflection in mind, e.g., an MCMR-13 at 10.5 oz versus an M89 Drivelock 13.75" at 17.2 oz. There's also the question of optic height; for some folks, the 2.26" height might be perfect for passive aiming under NODs, but they might prefer a 1.7" or 1.93" without NODs, or maybe even as low as absolute co-witness.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I just use what I normally use during the day. There shouldn't be much difference between a day and night rifle. I like the majority of my stuff to be able to be used at anytime.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SIG_gunner:
I think a go-to rifle with night capability is a better option. Are you gonna switch rifles when the sun goes down and you're in the field?

I have newly acquired night vision, still working on a laser/illuminator. Trying to not go into debt while sifting through all the data on different models.

My plan will be to have a do it all rifle with a solid laser/illuminator. On other rifles I can have less expensive until funds allow upgrades of them over time= more options.

The exception to my thought process would be a dedicated "night" rifle set up with a thermal scope.
View Quote

This is pretty much where I am, my two main go to rifles are set up with ir lights and lasers. But both also have NV capable day optics.

I also have a thermal setup on a rifle as well, I will be adding an ir light and laser to it once I vet out the one from amazon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#18]
All my rigs are dedicated NV rifles, that just happen to work in daylight as well...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Jeezus you definitely own the night....
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#20]
What is a dedicated night fighting rifle, how would the youtubers referenced know, have they been involved in night fighting.  No they haven't.  

METT-TC

Build what is required for your circumstances - youtubers who have never been involved in "night fighting" have no idea.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting topic, and I don't think there's a right answer since everyone has a particular use case.

Right or wrong, I generally subscribe to the dedicated night rifle concept for my particular case. I'm generally either working/training in the dark or the light depending on mission and time of year, so I have an optimized night rifle and optimized day rifle that I switch between for work.

My requirements for a day rifle are magnification and white light:

Attachment Attached File

My requirements for a night rifle are MFAL, white light, and passive-capable red dot optic (no magnifier at night):

Attachment Attached File

Adding a magnifier to the night gun makes it daylight capable, and adding a MFAL and top/offset red dot to the day gun makes it night capable. The only penalty is weight.

During the winter, I carry the night gun with magnifier since I work in the dark enough to carry NODs. However, during summer months I carry the day gun since I don't work during the hours of darkness and don't carry NODs with me unless it's a planning event which I'll switch to the night gun ahead of time. For training I just select the rifle that best suits what we are doing.

If I only had one rifle or was forced to use one rifle for everything, then adding a MAWL and top mounted red dot to the LPVO would be ideal, but I don't want or need to carry all that extra weight right now for my purposes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
IMHO - all guns should be day and night capable. You just never know when you'll need it. I think it keeps things simple.
View Quote

Yup. Having highly specialized gear is a luxury only the military guys can afford. And I’m not talking about $$.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:17:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#23]
I have a rifle that is my goto night rifle. would be fine in the day time too.

14.5 middy, surefire 3 prong, Perst 4, arisaka IR250 with a unity taps sync, unity riser with a eotech XPS3. super functional, not that heavy, and I got the laser back when they were $400.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Nope, you need two.

Get one for nvg’s and one w thermal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I understand the appeal of a NVG gun but honestly I also think it’s incredibly fucking stupid. My big thing is it will be super duper expensive, it will be heavy, and will also be a niche thing. So for your NVG gun you’ll get a pistol with a brace or SBR it so the tax stamp is added cost. You’ll put a red dot on it but you will probably put your dot on a stupid goober group or Unitarian mount, you’ll get a light but it has to be IR capable so a $400 vampire light or you buy a separate light from arisaka that is IR only. You want a suppressor which I agree with. You’re going to get a laser despite the giraffe neck mount you bought for passive aiming. That could be a few hundred on a somogear, a few more hundred for a holosun, maybe you ball out on a MAWL which is a great laser or you buy a real peq that was an arms room special and it is a paperweight if it breaks since you can’t get it fixed.

I would rather give my main rifles a laser and an offset dot and make them a little more usable at night than something that is dedicated as a night gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Two, a Ruger PC9 with Sightmark Wraith and a .300 BO with a Super Yoter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#28]
A little late to the party but I'm more interested in having a rifle fill both roles day and night.

Coming from LE side of things, you don't get the luxury to pick when you need your rifle so the rifle in the car is what you got. Also, even during the day, you might have to use white light or NV in a large structure.

From the SHTF perspective, it's kinda the same for me. I need something that can solve a lot of different problems... Maybe not be perfect, but at least have the capability.

The GD answer is to have a rifle setup for every occasion

Edit: Another thought is that technology and accessories have come really far over the past couple of years and the gap between a day and night rifle is getting smaller. Lasers, optics, etc. are becoming lighter, better, and more streamline. It's getting to the point where there's almost no downside for having the extra gear on your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 10-8DoWork:
A little late to the party but I'm more interested in having a rifle fill both roles day and night.

Coming from LE side of things, you don't get the luxury to pick when you need your rifle so the rifle in the car is what you got. Also, even during the day, you might have to use white light or NV in a large structure.

From the SHTF perspective, it's kinda the same for me. I need something that can solve a lot of different problems... Maybe not be perfect, but at least have the capability.

The GD answer is to have a rifle setup for every occasion

Edit: Another thought is that technology and accessories have come really far over the past couple of years and the gap between a day and night rifle is getting smaller. Lasers, optics, etc. are becoming lighter, better, and more streamline. It's getting to the point where there's almost no downside for having the extra gear on your rifle.
View Quote

Agree on all of the above. I don't envision a scenario in which I have a golfbag full of rifles from which I choose my preferred tool for the job. I was very far from a HSLD dude overseas, but there were plenty of "daytime operations" that lasted well into the night. What we had was what we had.

And the increase in reliability, and decrease in size and weight, of lasers and powerful enough white lights really is making it easier to have a do-it all rifle that doesn't way 15lbs. My go-to is a colt 6945 with a re-cored SDN-6/Ranger 7 on the end. I run a TA31/RMR combo along with a PERST-3 and SF 640DF white light up front. Shorter barrel reduces my maximum range when it comes to my 77gr TMKs doing the most terminal damage, but it seems unlikely that I'll be getting in multi-hundred-meter engagements anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe] [#30]
Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider walking into a shooty environment at night without some thermal capability these days. In all the FTX's I've done at night, anyone without thermal is at a pretty catastrophic disadvantage. I've found that a COTI + thermal clip on (StingIR is ideal) is a pretty solid solution, though it's a little clunky.

The new Holosun units look promising, though the sensor resolution leaves a bit to be desired. Still better than nothing, and based on the videos I've seen so far there's enough juice to ID something as a human vs. some other critter even out to 300+m. My ideal for a GP day/night rifle is 600/300m capabilities--solid out to 600 during the day, solid out to 300 at night.

But yes, finding ways to integrate thermal is going to be a must going forward, or just avoid the nightosphere altogether. If you don't have thermal, you'll get smoked by someone who does.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I just let my main rifles have nv capabilities. Peq’s, rc2, vampire light, and t2 unity riser or an rmr on top of a 1-8nxs.

The thermal 16” has an otal-c with offset t2 which works “ok” passively.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#32]
11.5” BCM build is my night rifle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:04:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnDough] [#33]
Just shy of 11# fully loaded with 30 rounds of 70gr.
It kindof does everything pretty optimally. The rds is perfect for passive aiming, I love the nx8 for daylight and night use under white light, the rein micro is a monster, the Raid Xe is excellent.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:18:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DernHumpus] [#34]
I have two setups, I don't think I will be using the thermal on the Eotech/magnifier gun anymore.  The 1x capability on the LVPO is a game-changer with the clip-on in comparison to needing to have the magnifier flipped up to use it.  I don't currently plan to a laser on the LVPO gun, just passive or passive aiming with IR illumination.  So different setups for different needs, but both still very ready for daylight.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Thermal and lasers are pretty easy to switch around with good qd mounts on optics and such.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

FWIW, most military guys, particularly “GPF” (General Purpose Forces), i.e., your line infantry guys who at least theoretically in a P2P or near peer conflict who would be responsible for the bulk of the fighting are only going to get one rifle.

The “specialized” gear is going to be reserved primarily for “specialized” personnel, hence “specialized.”

~Augee
View Quote

Sure, for standard infantry. And at the risk of sounding like an internet badass, I'm not exactly talking about those.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
Of course. A night vision setup requires an accommodating rifle and pistol if possible.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I made my deer gun/pistol into my night gun. 12.5” faxon barrel ‘d 350 legend that I can screw my bushwhacker on to. Got one of them sweet 2x glx PA 7.62/300blk prisms mounted way up high and a somo gear peq15. Which is awesome so far  Thing shoots tiny little groups at 50yrds perfect for deer and night time.  Lots of good loadings of supers and subs, my go to right now are 150gr Hornady black soft points at .70 a round. I have my pvs14 bridged with a agm tiapan thermal, need to order the ts15-384 version(they are creeping below 1k).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top