Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2024 8:12:47 PM EDT
Stumbled upon this company on X the other day and have read a few different things about how digital NV isn’t as good as analog, mostly on the disparity that is evident when the user is moving.

The price point is attractive though…$1400 for single tube.

These worth that kind of money or a solid pass?

I didn’t see a thread on it so, if it’s already been covered, please point me in the right direction.

Here’s the company

Hoplite Website
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RegularJoe58:
The price point is attractive though $1400 for single tube.
View Quote
That's not a tube though.

A tube is a specific analog device similar to an old TV set, that allows amplification of very low light levels. Tubes are Vacuum Tubes. Same technology as old black and white TV sets in practice.

The devices you linked to are just cameras. From their website: Image Sensor - Starvis 2 CMOS color

They obfuscate the technology somewhat by referring to them as Gen2. They are not Gen2 image intensifier tubes. They are video cameras. This is extremely different.

You can read about them here. https://www.sony-semicon.com/en/technology/security/index.html

From the video, they look like they are similar to some early gen1 commercial russian equipment - CMOS is getting quite impressive lately, but I have yet to see any equipment that approaches gen2 or that I could say cross the threshold of what is considered "Militarily useful".

Only thermal and SWIR type digital are coming close to being practical for most applications. The Starvis series is just a visible spectrum camera.

David.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post.

Yep, I see what you mean by tube vs camera.

So, no real utility. Basically, like running around with one of my security cameras on your head.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's a little more advanced than sticking a security camera on your head. It looks to integrate a lightweight screen, and while you might get rolling shutter effect, it will still provide some image, and you will get a mountable form factor, so they are often used for airsoft. But generally, yeah, it's not going to perform any better than a security camera will, especially given it's noted to just be a security camera as the primary sensor. They even name the type - and I can respect that.

There are places this can be useful - eg, Cinemas, controlled locations with lots of IR, etc.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:01:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#4]
I wish the digital NV companies would explore the real advantage of digital by splitting the components to get away from the analog tube form factor. A light, thin monocle eye piece (just the lens/sensor/display) in front and everything else (electronics/controls/battery etc.) separate for optional placement on the back of the helmet would offer usability advantages to at least partially offset the latency and sensitivity deficiencies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RegularJoe58:
Stumbled upon this company on X the other day and have read a few different things about how digital NV isn’t as good as analog, mostly on the disparity that is evident when the user is moving.

The price point is attractive though…$1400 for single tube.

These worth that kind of money or a solid pass?

I didn’t see a thread on it so, if it’s already been covered, please point me in the right direction.

Here’s the company

Hoplite Website
View Quote

So far, Sionyx is the only digital that works for what most 'normal people with normal jobs' want to do with a PVS 14 size NOD. So I'd read the biggest thread on the internet about them, in this forum. Every few months some company or Reddit 3-D Printer posts about "better" digital - only for it to be a joke "drone camera" or crappy Sony sensor.

An Aurora Pro will do everything you need, as long as the lighting conditions are NL4 or better. Word is they can now be found in the $5xx.00 range occasionally, and that is a hell of a deal for what it is and does.

The OPSIN has better performance at ~NL4.5 - but it is around $1500 (IIRC, at last check a while ago) on GuideFitter and almost $2K street price. That's a good chunk toward an actual 14, so saving a bit more for a 14 seems smarter.

But the Pro is awesome if your expected environment/use case, isn't NL5 (Analog territory).

Oct 2020, Southington Hunt Club in Garrettesville, OH - ARFCOM Shoot - NL4 conditions - The Dual Aurora Pros did everything the DTNVG/S and PVS31's did...because it was NL4.  NL is the key with Sionyx.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top