Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 7:58:57 PM EDT
I'm considering doing a hybrid setup with thermal monocular + PVS 14

On paper it seems awesome, where i'm stuck it as what it will actually look like. I'm hesitant to spend many thousands of dollars only to find it's not what i imagined it.

Does anyone have any pictures that accurately portray what it is like using a hybrid setup?

In a perfect world I'd have dual tubes and a thermal optic on the gun, but thats not in the budget at this point. so trying to find the "best" option for traveling and engaging in the night

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for the set up/configs or are you looking for the fused images?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I edited this video some time ago. Not super accurate, but it's how I hunt. I love this setup, but I know several others who can't do it. The images won't overlap, so it challenges your brain a lot.

Dec 23 2021 Coyote Hunting w/ WP PVS14 and Iray MH25 HMT
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a PVS14 and  AGM StingIR-640 on a Rayvn Bridge (Mod Armory adapter for the StingIR to Rayvn mount).  By setting the StingIR to clip on mode, you can adjust the X and Y positions to get overlap on the image.  I was able to do this this weekend and am VERY happy with the results.  

I will say this:
* Because of the X/Y shift the Thermal is no longer a full screen (it's not a full screen per se when X and Y are zero'd, it's more like a wide rectangle).  With the shift, in my case, I lose some of the image.
* I use the thermal on my non dominant eye.  So when walking around in the woods with my dogs, I see more NV with a square in the middle/lower quadrant that pops thermal when I hit a hot object (deer, rabbits, coyotes, ect), my brain will flicker between the two images.  The thermal stands out enough that it's useable.  You can/will close your eye to get the full thermal is needed.

It helps when you pick your Thermal color pallet, you adjust your NV gain to get close to the same brightness.  Also helps if your NV is WP as most thermals do have white Hot and black hot.

The Armasight Sidekicks also offer the X/Y shift as well and that would help with getting a fused image.   Those do not require an adapter to use on the Rayvn bridge.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a PVS14 / MH25 in a Wilcox bridge for a few years now. I can almost get the images to overlap but as mentioned above there is some lag on the thermal side.

I personally love it, but have had some guys try it and it was just too much and made them feel sick after a bit.

You never really get full fusion, but it's pretty close.  I'm strictly using this for hunting,  no force on force training or anything.

In a hunting capacity it really shines both on foot and in sxs's. Can spot at distance, dismount, get close enough for a shot then move on.  The flip up and QD of the mount is great too.  You can pop either unit off to go handheld or give your neck a break if needed.  This setup is very heavy,  you'll have a stronk neck if you use it enough.  

I typically flip the 14 up or pop it off to use thermal scope on rifle to take a shot, then pop it back on for driving or walking back.

With HMT and thermal scope I rarely use NV for shooting much anymore unless it's the .22 pistol for smaller critter dispatch.  NV almost exclusively for driving and nav.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the replies everyone
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Put this together about a decade ago to see if it worked, it did not for me. It was the one eye open and once closed depending on what spectrum you wanted to see in.

PVS14 & FLIR M24.
" />
Top Top