Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2024 5:20:53 PM EDT
I am in possession as the original owner of one that has less than five hours use

Are they still a thing? I have no idea what changes have happened since I bought it a few years ago.

Don’t know if I should sell it in the EE or trash it

looking for advice
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
TNVC is now selling a version of the ECOTI without some of the more exotic features for $6500. Plainly there’s a market for thermal injection.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I have it?
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They're great for what they're were designed for.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Without access to the ATAK tech I don't see what the ECOTI offers over the new TAD.

If you're really willing to trash an ECOTI I'll gladly dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:04:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Riley] [#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
the tad looks like a great option but no external power option and only 3.5 hours of battery is kinda meh
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By whiteryno:
the tad looks like a great option but no external power option and only 3.5 hours of battery is kinda meh
View Quote

Surprised there's no 18650 extension.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
For $2100/2200 used, the 384 resolution Jerry-C2 units are great bang for the buck. And yes, highly useful. Having done some night time FTX's where it's so dark NODs start to fail, the ability to quickly light up a COTI and detect heat signatures is a damn superpower.

Yes, I think there's still a place for COTI's in kit, assuming you don't have the $$ for the full fusion units. Either way, thermal capability is a necessity in 2024 if you want to be out and about after dark.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Bizzarolibe:
For $2100/2200 used, the 384 resolution Jerry-C2 units are great bang for the buck.
View Quote

Why cant I ever find those for sale used.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
For $2100/2200 used, the 384 resolution Jerry-C2 units are great bang for the buck. And yes, highly useful. Having done some night time FTX's where it's so dark NODs start to fail, the ability to quickly light up a COTI and detect heat signatures is a damn superpower.

Yes, I think there's still a place for COTI's in kit, assuming you don't have the $$ for the full fusion units. Either way, thermal capability is a necessity in 2024 if you want to be out and about after dark.
View Quote

I agree - assuming you are not cash rich enough for built in fusion, COTIs are the heat (pun intended) for human signatures. Dual Band is probably better from a  ruggedness standpoint (I read that Marines broke a ton of ECOTIs according to Horta on SH) and DRI, but all I care about is people within a couple hundred, depth perception, and seeing IR at the same time. So glad I have the 640 Jerry-C.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 2:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chosos] [#12]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Iray is about to launch a new version of the Jerry clip on thermal. 640 core, with support for external power pack. Increased 35 degree FOV (compared to 30 for ECOTI, 20 for COTI). I believe it is the widest FOV clip on yet, aside from a British unit which was never sold on the market.

Price is going to be around 3800.

With the speed at which thermal tech improves compared to analog NV tubes, the average person is arguably better served with a clip on thermal. True fusion units have never had swappable thermal cores. Five or ten years later you are left with no path to upgrade your thermal sensor, whereas your tubes are probably still great. Clip ons allow you to keep upgrading your thermal capabilities over time as the tech rapidly advances.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bizzarolibe] [#15]
Originally Posted By TheStillestHour:

Iray is about to launch a new version of the Jerry clip on thermal. 640 core, with support for external power pack. Increased 35 degree FOV (compared to 30 for ECOTI, 20 for COTI). I believe it is the widest FOV clip on yet, aside from a British unit which was never sold on the market.

Price is going to be around 3800.

With the speed at which thermal tech improves compared to analog NV tubes, the average person is arguably better served with a clip on thermal. True fusion units have never had swappable thermal cores. Five or ten years later you are left with no path to upgrade your thermal sensor, whereas your tubes are probably still great. Clip ons allow you to keep upgrading your thermal capabilities over time as the tech rapidly advances.
View Quote

Eh, all things considered I'd still prefer an integrated unit, though I see your point. But we're talking an extra 4-5k on top of the cost of a mono + COTI for one of those (my PVS-14 + COTI were just shy of 5k altogether). Iray's doing the lord's work.

I can't stress enough how vital it is to have thermal capabilities. I'm just a shmoe, and in the force on force exercises I've been involved in at night, the team without thermal loses to the team with thermal. I don't see the point in NV alone anymore; if you're doing goon shit in that environment without thermal, you shouldn't be out in the first place. Having a COTI or similar capability is bare minimum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top