Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2024 1:11:18 PM EDT
We're doing a shooting/BBQ meet-up with some guys from work soon. I'd planned on bringing my clip-on for people to check out, but looking at the weather, it's looking cool and overcast, so I'll be bringing my nox and helmet setup as well.

Since I'm bringing a helmet, it had me remembering people discussing using those pinhole covers during the day. Does this give a reasonable approximation of nighttime use and are there any risks to my tubes associated with this other than leaving something turned on pointed at the sun? Do ir lasers still work well? It'll be cloudy, so would it be a bad idea to enlarge the hole a bit and try to get my coti to work, or has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd skip the show and tell. If someone accidentally knocks off the cap I doubt they'll feel obligated to shell out 2-3K to replace the tube.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:

Pinhole caps are safe to use in the short term. If it were my device I would only do it under canopy and a minute tops. I just don't want to expose my tubes if it's not necessary.

If you want to be extra cautious slap a piece of tape over the hole and use a thin needle or something similar to experiment with how small you can go with a workable image. It doesn't take much in daylight. The IR lasers won't demo well at all in daylight unless maybe under a canopy at something up close. It's similar to demoing a vis laser where you will lose it in too much light.

The main difference is the pin hole works as a refocus device.

If it is so bright that you see tons of FPN whereas you normally can't even under strong IR, then I would limit exposure, although realistically the tube can take it.

Things to look out for in a group demo setting:

- Someone dropping it
- Lens cap coming off/being removed possibly causing light damage
- Solar damage if left in direct sunlight
- Being left turned on and stationary causing image burn in

If you do it, I would use a solid lens cap (put tape over the hole) for whenever it's not being used and also the pin hole cap / modified pin hole. Pull the battery when not demoing and stick it in a bag.

Last thing - in my experience, demoing nods during the day is pretty unexciting for most uninitiated people, even using actual daylight training filters. Except for for the F-BINO. The fusion overlay demos well in the daytime.
View Quote

Originally Posted By MunnyShot:
I'd skip the show and tell. If someone accidentally knocks off the cap I doubt they'll feel obligated to shell out 2-3K to replace the tube.
View Quote

Thanks guys. Think I'll just do the nox on a helmet. Thermal conditions should be good in the morning and it'll give people an idea of using a helmet mounted device.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top