Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2018 11:04:43 PM EDT
I received my stamp back on my SBR and suppressor and need to have my suppressor and SBR engraved.

Do I need to complete a 5320.20 for shipping it to a gunsmith for engraving? The gunsmith is in another state.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't think so.  But l don't know.

So in for the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
, you can if you want to but it's not necessary
I've sent mg's and spr out many times and never filled one out.
Just send a copy of your form with the gun is good enough.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#4]
A form 20, 5320.20 is not needed for shipping. That is an application to transport across state lines. You are not transporting anything, you are shipping so a form 20 doesn’t apply. A form-5 is used to temporarily transfer title-2 firearms to a SOT holder for repair purposes. The form-5 isn’t a requirement, but is recommended by ATF. Some gunsmiths will work on title-2 items without a form-5, some require a form-5 for cya. As an aside, a form 20 is not necessary for suppressors.

A SBR is only a SBR when it’s assembled into a configuration that meets the criteria of SBR. A lower receiver by itself does not meet this criteria.

Given that this is a form-1 home build can, it’s not currently assembled as a suppressor and is just a tube. That is also not yet a suppressor.

I have had work done on many title-2 items and have never used a form-5. The receiving SOT doing the gunsmithing asked that I include a letter detailing the work to be done and a copy of my form-4 or form-1.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If your parts are as benign as others have eluded, go ahead.
A tube is a tube and a title 1 receiver is just that, non-NFA.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Given that this is a form-1 home build can, it’s not currently assembled as a suppressor and is just a tube. That is also not yet a suppressor.
View Quote
This is incorrect, as written. Simply because a silencer is disassembled doesn't remove it from the purview of the NFA.
If you engrave before your stamp is approved or before you begin assembly it has yet become a silencer part and isn't a firearm.
If the silencer was built before engraving, it's a silencer tube and, therefore, a firearm. Lack of engraving doesn't remove it from the definition of silencer, either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I received my stamp back on my SBR and suppressor and need to have my suppressor and SBR engraved.

Do I need to complete a 5320.20 for shipping it to a gunsmith for engraving? The gunsmith is in another state.
View Quote
Neither your suppressor or SBR should be made yet.

With that said, No .20 is needed to ship a non-firearm, or even an NFA firearm.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#7]
nm....
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Even after you get the lower engraved and your stamp back or vice verse, your receiver is only a SBR when it’s configured as such.  So even if you have a stamp and engraving, put a 16” or longer barrel on it and it’s no longer an SBR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem to send without form. As long as they are a dealer. I just sent off my most recent sbr reciever to get engraved to orion-arms.com. they had a very quick turnaround and were $20 cheaper then the competitor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top