Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: svt40]
Sorry for no pictures, yet.

I bought an M1D about five years ago at the South store on a 1944 SA receiver with an M1D stock (had the shadow and holes from the cheek pad).

Took about a year before I found a nice original cheek pad for less than current prices.  Two years later I find an original scope mount for an utter STEAL!  Finally, I picked up an original M84 complete with eye-shield and sunshade for a very good price.  Comparably priced originals had rusty tubes, speckled glass and missing eye shields, sunshades and turret caps.

Got it all together and OMG the eye relief is utter garbage! Seems like the scope is made with 1.5-2 inches of eye relief but the way they are mounted puts you at 3-4 inches away unless you crane your neck awkwardly.

Is that typical for the M1D and M1C?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:14:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tim_the_enchanter] [#1]
Edit

Nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By svt40:
Got it all together and OMG the eye relief is utter garbage! Seems like the scope is made with 1.5-2 inches of eye relief but the way they are mounted puts you at 3-4 inches away unless you crane your neck awkwardly.

Is that typical for the M1D and M1C?
View Quote

I got a D from DCM via a lottery.  It came to me complete.  That was quite a while ago - decades, really.  I have never fired it or even practiced with it.

My problem with Garands is the stock is too short.  When prone, my head is too far forward to use the rear sight without craning my neck backwards.  I also tend to get beat up by the rifle because I am so close to the receiver during recoil.  All this is the opposite of what you are describing.  

1.5" to 2" eye relief sounds like a problem unless the butt stock is perfectly supported in the shoulder.  Be careful there.

Still, I love my Garand.  They are fun to shoot offhand - POOM!

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are my crappy phone pics.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 2:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#6]
It looks GREAT!  It looks like the tool that it was meant to be, not some beauty queen that lives in a safe.  

I think the curved side of the rubber eye shield is supposed to conform to your face as it wraps around your eye socket.  That means the long side should be on the right side, not facing down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
I think the curved side of the rubber eye shield is supposed to conform to your face as it wraps around your eye socket.  That means the long side should be on the right side, not facing down.
View Quote

No possible to crane my neck far enough for that to happen.  It also hits the rear sight in any other position except what you see or turned 90º CCW.

With a good chin weld I can see through the scope but it has a large shadow around the edges.  If I crane my head towards the wrist I can get a clear picture through the scope but I cannot see that being a preferred position for a marksman.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Breda Tipo-2 and yes the eye relief sucks a little with the M84 scope.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:42:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
No possible to crane my neck far enough for that to happen.  It also hits the rear sight in any other position except what you see or turned 90º CCW.

With a good chin weld I can see through the scope but it has a large shadow around the edges.  If I crane my head towards the wrist I can get a clear picture through the scope but I cannot see that being a preferred position for a marksman.
View Quote

When I get some time, I will check how my M1D is set up.  I'm sure you're correct, as I haven't used mine in many years.  Yes, it's been that long.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I think your scope is too far forward. Remove the entire assembly. Mount it without the eyecup on and move it about as far back as it will go in the ring.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 10:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#11]
That scope is too far forward, I have mine back to the point the rubber shade barely clears the windage/elevation nob.
CMP M1D, USGI scope and mount.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
looks like your cheek pad isn't properly installed either, which is going to mess up your cheek weld.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
looks like your cheek pad isn't properly installed either, which is going to mess up your cheek weld.
https://i.imgur.com/i6UUZEi.png
https://i.imgur.com/kHoUliC.png
View Quote

I know it's not on correctly.  But the previous install was incorrect so I decided rather than drill new screw holes I would just install it to match the previous shadows and holes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#14]

I know it's not on correctly.  But the previous install was incorrect so I decided rather than drill new screw holes I would just install it to match the previous shadows and holes.
View Quote

Nothing like trying to make something incorrect work correctly.....pretty much tells us it will spend its life as a safe queen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 1:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#15]
Originally Posted By smoothy8500:
Nothing like trying to make something incorrect work correctly.....pretty much tells us it will spend its life as a safe queen.
View Quote

Mine is also a safe queen and I'm not ashamed of that, at all.  Why be so disparaging?

I have two "collector" pieces from the DCM.  I am their "custodian".

*  May 1945 M1, all matching parts and date code on barrel; unissued, unused and unfired as far as I can tell.

*  M1D, a bit of a mix master but it was a complete set sent to me and was unfired and has not been fired since.

These are the only things in my life that I have preserved rather than used.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By smoothy8500:

View Quote

If I want to shoot a Garand I have a dozen other choices to choose from.  If I want to shoot a scoped rifle, I also have much better options.  I purchased this rifle on a whim simply because the CMP S. store did not have any IHC Garands in stock at the time.  It simply fills a hole in the collection.  I assembled the rifle based on the wear evidence on the stock and scope.  Whether or not the Danes got it right is irrelevant to me.

Most of my rifles are what folks would call safe queens since I rarely ever go shooting anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 5:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#17]

If I want to shoot a Garand I have a dozen other choices to choose from.  If I want to shoot a scoped rifle, I also have much better options.  I purchased this rifle on a whim simply because the CMP S. store did not have any IHC Garands in stock at the time.  It simply fills a hole in the collection.  I assembled the rifle based on the wear evidence on the stock and scope.  Whether or not the Danes got it right is irrelevant to me.

Most of my rifles are what folks would call safe queens since I rarely ever go shooting anymore.
View Quote

You were asking whether the eye relief was right or not.  The other poster’s comment aside, the solution is to push the scope back further. The cheek pad could also help but isn’t the primary issue here. Moving it back about half an inch will make a world of difference.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

You were asking whether the eye relief was right or not.  The other poster’s comment aside, the solution is to push the scope back further. The cheek pad could also help but isn’t the primary issue here. Moving it back about half an inch will make a world of difference.
View Quote

I gave all the help I could for his safe queen to be correct, so if he wants to take it out and fondle the poor thing just to put it back unfired and still fucked up it's on him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top