Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2024 9:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Im_Awake]
My Aunt passed away in 82'. Childless, she left my Sister and I the majority of her possessions in her will. I have had the 2 items below for the last 42 years and I'd like to learn more about them.

The story goes my Uncle Leo was a US Army Medic during WWII and my Aunt (who was also enlisted) met him in Okinawa. After the War was over, they traveled the world together and ended up getting married in Saudi Arabia (or somewhere in the middle east).

The dagger was supposedly a gift from either a Sultan or someone prominent that my Uncle treated. Aside from that, I don't know much about it aside from it was once mounted within a frame over their mantel. And it's very very old and brittle. I recall seeing it in their home around the early 70s. It's been sitting in a sealed container ever since.

Whatever it is, the handle is exceptionally small. The handle is barely 4" long. Someone definitely took their time making these ornate designs. Not sure if it's bronze or brass.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The curved blade measures roughly 13"

The handle is definitely intended for a small hand.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
And then there's this fella. Also ornate with ivory and stone inlays.  I kind of remember my uncle telling me once it had a whip on the end of it when he got it. If that was true, the whip portion dried up and fell off decades ago.

The pointy end is about 8" long.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Other than Arabic style, don't know.  But those are both pretty cool and definitely not tourist junk.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have someone to look at it. It looks authenticated.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:09:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKinAZ] [#4]
The first one looks like a jambiya, which is Mideastern IIRC. No idea on the other one.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:12:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKinAZ] [#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That is indeed a Jambiya and the Saudi story makes sense as the shape of the scabbard fits that region. The handles often had rhino horn and status was shown by how elaborate the decoration was.  Yours appears to have brass and possibly silver in its construction.  I believe the other knife is Middle eastern as well.  I wouldn't guess them to be more than 100 years old, but who knows.  There are sword forum with experts in Middle Eastern blades.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, I think the second knife was a camel whip with a hidden dagger.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top