Thank You!!
View Quote

I appreciate the support and nice first post
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Printed M202 Flash Rocket Launcher Update
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for lack of updates just been busy with the holidays but slowly been printing warheads for the project

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
New barrels look way better and more original. Hoping to test fire a couple rounds this weekend

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:
New barrels look way better and more original. Hoping to test fire a couple rounds this weekend

https://i.imgur.com/90ED1Ma.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DuYYLFq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kJ45pqJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/EdDJJPL.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Can’t wait to buy this book.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the plan to avoid getting a face full of rocket exhaust?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Sneak Peek - Firing the M202 Flash
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice, was it a weighted projectile?
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:
Nice, was it a weighted projectile?
View Quote

2-3 lbs if I’m not mistaken
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mattnh:  What is the plan to avoid getting a face full of rocket exhaust?
View Quote

Hand it off to the new guy?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mattnh:
View Quote
Safety squints
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mattnh:
View Quote

Hands are protected  but a face shield /mask would be required
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#15]
Initial Testing of The M202 Flash Rocket Launcher - More to come

The stabilizing fins were remarkably intact post-firing. That's a lot of excellent testing data compressed into a short video!
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks cool, good job.

I've been watching the videos and giving it some thought.  It looks like you may have some accuracy and stability issues (you can see the rocket wobble around as it exits, especially in the slowed down video.

I have a theory on why:
If I understand correctly, the real M72 LAW and M202 Flash completely burn the motor in the launch tube, leaving what I'll call a "residual" or tracer looking burn in the air.
I also think this is why the shooter doesn't need to mask/goggle up or have a panzerschreck style shield on the launcher, and I suspect this is why the tubes telescope; to make it a little longer to contain the burning motor just a bit more before it burns out and exits.

This lets the projectile exit the tube, unfold the fins, and fly like a shuttlecock (nose heavy with drag stabilization on the rear from the fins).  In effect, it's getting thrown and flying unpowered.

You're pushing the projectile the whole length of flight (or in the air at least).  I think the original projectile and fin design is suited to unpowered flight, but probably becomes unstable when you put a motor on the back while it's in the air.  Especially during the launch when it's burning, in the air, and the fins haven't completely unfolded.
Unless I'm mistaken, all rockets using this projectile/fin arrangement are unpowered in air.

You may be able to improve the accuracy and projectile stability by abandoning the effort to visually resemble an original projectile and go with a projectile designed for powered flight.
It's been a while since I've used it, but I remember there were software tools for model rocketry/amateur rocketry design that would help you predict the stability of a rocket based on the motor, fuselage, and fin arrangement.  You might want to look at that and go with a more conventional rocket design to match the longer burn motors you're using.

Just my theory
YMMV

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mechanical:  It looks cool, good job.

I've been watching the videos and giving it some thought.  It looks like you may have some accuracy and stability issues (you can see the rocket wobble around as it exits, especially in the slowed down video.

I have a theory on why:
If I understand correctly, the real M72 LAW and M202 Flash completely burn the motor in the launch tube, leaving what I'll call a "residual" or tracer looking burn in the air.
I also think this is why the shooter doesn't need to mask/goggle up or have a panzerschreck style shield on the launcher, and I suspect this is why the tubes telescope; to make it a little longer to contain the burning motor just a bit more before it burns out and exits.

This lets the projectile exit the tube, unfold the fins, and fly like a shuttlecock (nose heavy with drag stabilization on the rear from the fins).  In effect, it's getting thrown and flying unpowered.

You're pushing the projectile the whole length of flight (or in the air at least).  I think the original projectile and fin design is suited to unpowered flight, but probably becomes unstable when you put a motor on the back while it's in the air.  Especially during the launch when it's burning, in the air, and the fins haven't completely unfolded.
Unless I'm mistaken, all rockets using this projectile/fin arrangement are unpowered in air.

You may be able to improve the accuracy and projectile stability by abandoning the effort to visually resemble an original projectile and go with a projectile designed for powered flight.
It's been a while since I've used it, but I remember there were software tools for model rocketry/amateur rocketry design that would help you predict the stability of a rocket based on the motor, fuselage, and fin arrangement.  You might want to look at that and go with a more conventional rocket design to match the longer burn motors you're using.

Just my theory
YMMV
View Quote

IINM, the TOW missile gets kicked out by a recoilless charge, then lights its engine once clear of the operator and flies to the target.  I believe it uses folding fins as well.  It's a simple enough design the Iranians directly copied it, use it, & export it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

IINM, the TOW missile gets kicked out by a recoilless charge, then lights its engine once clear of the operator and flies to the target.  I believe it uses folding fins as well.  It's a simple enough design the Iranians directly copied it, use it, & export it.
View Quote
That's how RPG7 works also
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 4:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanical] [#19]

View Quote

Yes, lots of missiles and rockets use folding fins.
I may have explained that poorly, but I meant the wasp-waisted shuttlecock looking thing with relatively tiny, simple fins that fan out the back (looking sorta like a shuttlecock), reduced diameter midsection and rocket body, with a larger warhead stuck on the front.  I don't think any of those are powered in flight with a rocket nozzle on the back end.
The AT4, M72, M202 use that design.  All burn in the tube, then the fins drag stabilize in the air.

The TOW uses folding fins, but it's got front fins, rear fins, fins with meaningful surface area.  The rocket nozzles are in the middle of the missile to allow for the wire dispenser in the rear, and it's guided, so a little wobble on exit won't hurt things too badly.

The RPG-7 has a similar folding fin arrangement to the AT4/M72/M202, but the rocket nozzles are up in front of the fins, in the middle of the projectile, meaning the stability issues are different.  I'm not sure on the exact sequence, but I think the RPG-7 does its recoilless launch, coasts while the fins unfold, then the rocket ignites.  This would prevent it from having a period of no fins/partial fins while under power (an unstable arrangement).

I'm not an aerodynamics guy, but my suspicion is that a more conventional rocket shape may be more stable when you're putting a nozzle on the back end and pushing it along while it's outside the launcher (ie, a tube, like most rockets/missiles that fly under power)
I also suspect that eliminating the "under power, but totally unstabilized" state seen right when it leaves the tube would help.  Either a soft launch allowing the fins to deploy before the primary motor lights, a faster/more effective fin arrangement, a more inherently stable rocket, I'm not sure, but there's probably a few ways to do it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Open Rocket

Main thing to watch is the relationship between center of gravity and center of pressure. Center of gravity needs to be a caliber or two in front of the center of pressure
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By scottr:  Open Rocket

Main thing to watch is the relationship between center of gravity and center of pressure. Center of gravity needs to be a caliber or two in front of the center of pressure
View Quote

Kerbal Space Program is a good place to learn various aerodynamic/CoG stability issues.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
The first two were unstable as I had not added the steel vanes that spin the rocket on the rear of the rocket , I think that initial upward wobble on the 3rd rocket was partially the warhead being slightly rear heavy until majority of the propellant had burnt up shifting the CG toward the front and leveling out the rocket. I think some added weight in the front should solve that issue. However after that , the rockets are flying extremely straight with the spin stabilization added
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Did we do this already?

M202A1 66mm FLASH (Flame Assault Shoulder Weapon) Rocket Launcher
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#24]
YouTube also sent me this one, did you post it already, OP?

“Your Printed Rocket launcher is going to melt”
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
YouTube also sent me this one, did you post it already, OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PieZwsOed3Y
View Quote

I don’t think it was posted here, that was more for social media when one of my videos went viral and that was the biggest comment
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]
We do these yet?

An Incendiary Rocket Launcher - The M202 FLASH

Rare American Weapons of Vietnam - Explained
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:54:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Big test fire this weekend if weather holds, should have a ton of high speed footage and other cool related experiments
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#30]
@JonathanwFL

If you don't stencil a butt on the side of your M202 I'll be mildly disappointed.

Context for those who might be confused.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#31]
LOL, Sucks that there was a setback.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah we got some good early footage before things went down hill. I was saving the footage for a YouTube video until I can get more footage when we can get out and safely test the remaining rockets lol we got hit with some snow storms so hopefully in a week or two we can get to
Our testing locations
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#33]
We Built Arnold’s Rocket Launcher from Commando
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Firing The M202 Flash Rocket Launcher from Commando
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:35:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TreddBarton] [#35]
Amazing job!  Can't wait to watch more videos
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#36]
New M202 Flash Book published - Cinematic trailer

Link to pick up a copy
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I don't know how I missed this! I am so very glad you're not just offering your books through Amazon now.

I just bought a copy of each.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

I don't know how I missed this! I am so very glad you're not just offering your books through Amazon now.

View Quote

I appreciate the support!

And it’s been great working with KommandoStore to slowly move away from Amazon
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

I am delighted to hear that they've been treating you right! The fact that your books were only available from Amazon kept me from buying them this whole time. I got close a few times - I've really wanted to support your work and have your texts in my library - but it is what it is. I'm glad I no longer have such temptation.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top