Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2024 5:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProbableColtAddict]
Today, I finally found a French Model 1948 rifle grenade, inert of course.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that this artifact is one of the most difficult to find accessories for the postwar 7.5mm French family of rifles.  I'm simply astounded that I ever found one.  Eventually, I'll do an in-depth look at the thing but I am so excited that I wanted to share a little bit about it now.  

Adapted from the 50mm Model 1937 mortar round by switching out the tailfin with a longer version adapted to fire from a rifle, the M48 could be fired from the MAS 36 LG48 bolt action rifle, the French military issue MAS 49, or the export model of the MAS 49.  Below, it's shown mounted on the M36 LG48 with the rifle's aiming alidade raised for firing:

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">

Here, it's on a MAS 49 with the rifle's launching mechanism set for 200m:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

type Status report

" target="_blank">

The body of the grenade is 1947 dated.  I read somewhere "ECP" stands for but I need to research that again.  Perhaps one of you folks will refresh my memory:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

The fuse assembly is dated 1948 and marked as inert:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

A closer view of the body with a square stamped into it underneath the white paint:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

These early examples still had the machined sealing rings for the mortar tube.  Sometime later, most likely when the supply of discontinued mortar rounds was exhausted, a slightly different shaped body was produced and the sealing rings were omitted.

Top of the ignitor plunger:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Disassembled as far as I'm willing to go with it.  To do so further, will damage the paint:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

I have parts manuals for all 7.5mm French rifles except the export version of the MAS 49.  Many parts are interchangeable among them and while I cannot say it with 100% certainty, I'd bet that the launching mechanism is 100% identical on the export model 49 and the LG48 rifles:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Of course, I could disassemble them and compare the parts but I'm not going to do that. The LG48 is one of the rarest postwar French rifles out there and the 49 isn't exactly at every gun show you go to either so I'm not taking a chance on mucking something up.

I bought the rifle and grenade as a set. I never in a million years thought I'd get a crack at both of these items and at any cost, especially the grenade.  In the end, the price I paid at auction was less than 20% of what I was willing to pay.  When I contacted the seller, he said "you know you bought the grenade and got the rifle for free don't you?"  We both had a chuckle and talked for a while.  In the end, he said he was happy it was going to me as he knew it was going to someone who appreciated what they were getting and would take good care of it:

type Status report

" target="_blank">

The rifle itself is dry as the desert.  It needs a good cleaning, oiling and plenty of Howard's Feed and Wax on the stock.  Just general preservation stuff.  The bolt and magazine floor plate are mismatched but everything else is matching, including the bayonet.  It has a good bore too.  Usually, I don't buy mismatched firearms but the LG48 is so rare that you need to snatch one when you see it, matching or not.  The French made conversion kits so that armorers in the field could modify existing standard MAS 36's but they also built them from scratch.  This example was made in 1952 and the serial number falls into the proper range for a factory produced rifle so that's a bonus to me.  I'd take a converted one, but I prefer a factory jobber.  

type Status report

" target="_blank">

Anywho, that's it for the moment.  As I said, eventually I'll do a deep dive into this thing but I wanted to get a little information out there.  The few pictures I posted or the M48 rifle grenade above are already about the most comprehensive you're going to find on the internet.  This little steel and brass gem really is a museum worthy artifact and I'm the outrageously lucky dude who has his filthy hands on it.  How crazy it that?  I'll see you soon!

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in the hell did you get A) the grenade, and B) the LG48?!

Awesome finds. I only have a 60's dated training grenade (NATO 22mm diamter) for my -36/51. I'd love to find one of those Mle. 48 grenades to go with my Mle. 49.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than period photos, I've only ever managed to find a handful of pictures of the grenade.  I figure very few have survived.  The ECP marking is the Central School of Pyrotechnics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that none were supposed to be brought back from Indochina as French forces in Nord Afrique and the Metropole had already switched to the 22mm NATO grenades.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The rifle isn't import marked so I have no idea when or how it came in.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
This picture is an example of why we should never dogmatically follow books:

Jean Huon (he's French) is one of the foremost experts on French equipment but nobody is perfect.  According to the caption, the pictured instruction grenade is the 1st type.  It is dated 1957 and is actually the later M48 made without the mortar sealing rings.  The one I have is the 1st type.  If you look carefully at the illustrated section drawing of it in the April 1949 Summary Technical Guide (an example of which I have), you can even see the sealing rings.  By the time they printed the 1952 version (which I also have) they have modified the illustration to delete the rings.  Additionally, the September of 1950 Provisional Notice for the MAS 49 includes an illustration of the M48 and the rings are clearly present.  So, sometime between September of 1950 and the time the 1952 edition of the M48 Summary Technical Guide was printed, the rings were deleted from the grenade, thus creating 2nd type M48 which is what's illustrated in the book.  I in no way mean to disparage Mr. Huon.  He's a GREAT asset to the hobby and I have the deepest respect for him and his knowledge but, again, books can be incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
No Howard’s!

I am pretty sure I read that is laden with silicone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top