Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/24/2023 10:36:45 AM EDT
Is Greek M8 50 BMG good ammo- Would LC (positively marked as NATO Spec) be preferable given a choice- asking for a friend...
Also, is the brass good quality for reloading?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mk-211] [#1]
What's the date?

It could have berdan primers not boxer (preferred).

LC would be the best choice, as the older brass is good to reload. A lot of it through the 90's - early 00's wasn't very good for reloading.

Most of the used brass came from being fired out of M2's, which usually stretched it beyond being useful.

Can you post a pic of the headstamp?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronnie_B] [#2]
There is a guy locally that has the Greek ammo for sale- I can buy that or order some LC. Don't know if the Greek is boxer or berdan primed, so I will go with the sure bet and get the LC which is recent production, definitely boxer primed (I have 50BMG dies/press, etc.).

Thanks very much for your help!

Ronnie
https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=modify&b=6&f=3&t=546328&tl=Greek-M8-50-BMG-quality&r=5989290&page=1#
ETA- I have sized LC M2-fired brass in 3 stages, lowering the die 1 turn at a time. I start off by backing the die out 2 turns and size the brass. Back the brass out just enough to turn the die and lower it 1 turn then size again. Repeat this again, so the brass is sized in 3 steps total. After that withdraw the brass to size the ID of the neck. I then anneal the necks before loading.

Sizing this way takes a lot less effort and is probably better for the press linkage. I will probably use virgin brass/fired in my gun from now on to make life easier.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nikonov] [#3]
If its like the 30-06/M2 ball, greek HXP is decent, boxer primed and good brass. Ive shot and reloaded both the 30-06 and 7.62 M80 ball greek surplus and have no complaints. I know there was some greek .303 floating around and folks have chimed in that stuff was decent too.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top