Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2024 10:07:55 AM EDT
Narrowed down the search for my first silencer to a 30 cal explorr 300 taper mount. Plan on using it on a couple guns (308, 6.5 Grendel) but most use would be on a 14.5 p/w 556 ar.  I know I would have to buy a mount for these. Later maybe get another can but this will be it for now. Was wondering about others experiences with this can and possible drawbacks. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Waiting on my Explorr 224, I like the plan A that Griffin offers.  Outside of more choices of mounting options (brakes, flashhiders etc etc) I really dont know if there is any difference in a Plan A v B for securing the mount.  

Both accomplish it in the same way, just the choice of taper before or after threads.   I think that it will be the same regardless, but I like Griffin and will use their mounting system on whatever suppressor is compatible.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Waiting on my Explorr 224, I like the plan A that Griffin offers.  Outside of more choices of mounting options (brakes, flashhiders etc etc) I really dont know if there is any difference in a Plan A v B for securing the mount.  

Both accomplish it in the same way, just the choice of taper before or after threads.   I think that it will be the same regardless, but I like Griffin and will use their mounting system on whatever suppressor is compatible.
View Quote

Plan A also has a larger taper engagement surface than Plan B.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#3]
Originally Posted By Morecoffeeplease1:
Narrowed down the search for my first silencer to a 30 cal explorr 300 taper mount. Plan on using it on a couple guns (308, 6.5 Grendel) but most use would be on a 14.5 p/w 556 ar.  I know I would have to buy a mount for these. Later maybe get another can but this will be it for now. Was wondering about others experiences with this can and possible drawbacks. Thanks
View Quote
I have both the 224 and 300 versions of the Explorr. I think it's a great can.  One of my favorites actually. It's lightweight and sounds good.  It's a good choice for a first rifle can.  I can't think of any drawbacks to it.

Take a look at Midway USA for Griffin Plan A taper mounts for your other rifles.  They have good prices and ship quickly.  I like the EZ brake for rifles that will be shot suppressed most of the time. That's the one that comes with your can. It's easy to install (no timing necessary), light weight and costs less that most of the others. Plus it's a brake, so it saves wear and tear on your blast baffle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

View Quote

It sounds like the OP is purchasing the Explorr with the integrated taper mount, not the Hub version. So Plan A is the only mount compatible. It's a good choice for a mount, so no worries there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought an Explorr .30 utility mount.  Originally to try and replace my horribly heavy SIG SRD-762QD on my .300 BLK MCX.

To my ears, the SRD sounds much better than the Explorr, on the MCX.

I ordered a titanium direct thread HUB mount, and will be putting the Explorr on a 16” AR for now.

In all honesty, I’m wishing I’d bought a Scythe Ti instead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 300 on my 300 jakl, being an 8.5 inch barrel it works. I would not want to shoot it long with out hearing protection on supers, but subs are ok. For its size I think it does well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one. Now waiting. From what I’ve read it looks like muzzle devices with sacrificial baffles will prolong the life of the baffles in the can. Any reason to go with a flash hider instead?  Looking at the tactical compensator (for 14.5”) and the hammer compensator (for 10”)
@green0
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one. Now waiting. From what I’ve read it looks like muzzle devices with sacrificial baffles will prolong the life of the baffles in the can. Any reason to go with a flash hider instead?  Looking at the tactical compensator (for 14.5”) and the hammer compensator (for 10”)
@green0
Thanks
View Quote
Shooting unsuppressed is potentially a good reason for a flash hider.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 2:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#10]
@green0
Thanks
View Quote

After getting into suppressors, I never shoot any of my guns that can be suppressed, unsuppressed. So I go with brakes on almost all the guns that can take a can. I think I have three flash hider mounts, all on 16"+ barrel lengths.

For SBRs, I always use a brake to save the wear and tear on the can.  I always hated shooting SBRs unsuppressed and now that I don't have to, I don't think I ever will.  

My favorite brakes are the Hammer Comp and the EZ Brake. The Hammer Comp tames recoil and muzzle rise nicely. It's low cost and relatively light weight.  But it does need to be timed.

The EZ Brake is the cheapest and most compact. Plus it's super easy to install. It doesn't need to be timed and takes a standard socket, so setting the proper torque is very convenient. If I have something I know I'll absolutely never shoot unsuppressed, this is what I use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top