Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2020 4:09:30 PM EDT
I'm going to be building a new gunsmith/cleaning bench soon and looking to steal some good ideas (or at least some inspiration)!

Please post up some pics of your gunsmith bench
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for interest.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking for a butcher's block table for years, also bump for interest.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I went from a 30”x66” bench to a 24”x96” in hooes of making the space more efficient... the extra depth helps. In fact, If I had the space, i would probably build a 4’x8’ island workspace.

Old:Attachment Attached File

New:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to add something covering the floor that you can lose small parts on, that will complete it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went from a 30”x66” bench to a 24”x96” in hooes of making the space more efficient... the extra depth helps. In fact, If I had the space, i would probably build a 4’x8’ island workspace.
View Quote

How do you like the wall control panels? I was planning on using them as well.

Right now my plan to is build an L-shaped bench, 60"Wx30"D and 96"Wx24"D but it won't all be dedicated GS space. The 96"Wx24"D section will be smithing, cleaning and reloading the 60"Wx30"D section will be multi purpose.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]

There is a joke in there somewhere... AK workbench and the only tools on the bench are a couple of hammers
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Nice setup but I have to ask, how many times have you been working at the bench and nailed your elbow on that vice? I know I would.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice setup but I have to ask, how many times have you been working at the bench and nailed your elbow on that vice? I know I would.
View Quote

LOL , Actually just once..
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I would love to see some more!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Solid core door on 2x6 frame with 4x4 legs
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably not what you're looking for, but this is a crappy pic of my indoor bench. My shop is too cold in the winter and I found myself being less motivated in the last few years to go out there like I used to, and since the kids are grown, I have a couple of spare bedrooms (this bedroom has a back door which leads out to the shop). Made from a Unistrut frame, butcher block tops and a Viet Nam surplus field office supply set underneath. The best advice I could give you is to have good lighting (LED). The swing arm light/magnifier is something I highly recommend. Keeping groups of supplies and tools in plastic tool boxes helps with organization and cleaning. I still have to go out to the shop to reform some brass, use power tools and torque barrel nuts and the like, but I definitely feel like I'm back in the game!

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably not what you're looking for,
View Quote

No but I still appreciate the pic. I can get ideas and inspiration from anything.

I hear you about keeping stuff in the house as opposed to a separate outbuilding. 1 of the main reasons why I bought my current house is because it has a large basement so I can have my WW'ing shop and gun room in the house and not in the garage or outbuilding

How ridged is the Unistrut construction? I was thinking about using it for some storage shelving I need for my garage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No but I still appreciate the pic. I can get ideas and inspiration from anything.

I hear you about keeping stuff in the house as opposed to a separate outbuilding. 1 of the main reasons why I bought my current house is because it has a large basement so I can have my WW'ing shop and gun room in the house and not in the garage or outbuilding

How ridged is the Unistrut construction? I was thinking about using it for some storage shelving I need for my garage.
View Quote

Strut is used extensively in the electrical, plumbing and mechanical industry and I have a fair amount of experience with it. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a large supply of fittings and strut, I would not use it. The cost is high unless buying wholesale quantities. Beam deflection on spans greater than 5' is noticeable with heavy loads. My favorite shelving is metal wire bakers racks from Costco, but I would choose properly constructed wood shelves over strut any day.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Strut is used extensively in the electrical, plumbing and mechanical industry and I have a fair amount of experience with it. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a large supply of fittings and strut, I would not use it. The cost is high unless buying wholesale quantities. Beam deflection on spans greater than 5' is noticeable with heavy loads. My favorite shelving is metal wire bakers racks from Costco, but I would choose properly constructed wood shelves over strut any day.
View Quote

What interests me about the unistrut is how flexable/adaptable it is. Sure you can do the same thing with wood but when done, the unistrut would be easier to make changes to (changing shelf height, etc.). Pricing doesn't seem too bad to me and I don't plan on having any unsupported spans over 5' or anything really heavy on it.

I'm wanting to do something like this with it in my garage with maybe a couple of vertical  pieces under it in one section for shelving...

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
A good friend of mine is a custom gunsmith. His shop looks like a tornado hit it. And, apparently, I'm emulating his example.

Some nice setups in this thread!
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What interests me about the unistrut is how flexable/adaptable it is. Sure you can do the same thing with wood but when done, the unistrut would be easier to make changes to (changing shelf height, etc.). Pricing doesn't seem too bad to me and I don't plan on having any unsupported spans over 5' or anything really heavy on it.

I'm wanting to do something like this with it in my garage with maybe a couple of vertical  pieces under it in one section for shelving...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/37/bc/89/37bc898390fb29bd19bbfad69c3ec303.jpg
View Quote

I built something similar from strut and wire rack from Menards.  It works.  Having done it, wood would have been as easy, on par with cost, and provided a little more conventional look rather than industrial.  It is in the attached garage and holds bins full of camping and hunting stuff, coolers, cat carriers, and the like.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I built something similar from strut and wire rack from Menards.  It works.  Having done it, wood would have been as easy, on par with cost, and provided a little more conventional look rather than industrial.  It is in the attached garage and holds bins full of camping and hunting stuff, coolers, cat carriers, and the like.
View Quote

Well I dig the industrial look so I guess that's why I'm leaning that way. Thanks for sharing your experience with it
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Old:https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/481323/19E58CEE-F594-4436-809A-7B71B504818B_jpe-1726460.JPG

New:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/481323/52B40B65-3B6D-4193-ABF0-43F844A0AB8D_jpe-1726463.JPG
View Quote

Nice job. And a ladder in every doorway??  JK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#21]

These Milwaukee benches have been great. Currently I have six of them. I put thick black rubber mats on them to protect the finish of whatever I'm working on. The Wilton vice was added shortly after I bought the benches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top